Recurve Shooter 29-Jun-20
Scar Finga 29-Jun-20
smarba 29-Jun-20
pirogue 10-Feb-21
BTM 10-Feb-21
BOHNTR 10-Feb-21
Novembermadman 15-Feb-21
27-Jun-20
I am looking into bowhunting javelina. Was thinking of going out to Arizona for the hunt. Has anyone one here hunted with any particular guides / outfitters for javelina? I'm open to suggestions for hunts outside if Arizona also. I have just always heard that Arizona had some good javelina hunting. It would be my first time hunting them. Thanks!

27-Jun-20
Not a hard diy hunt. As long as you can spot them you can kill them. Can probably get plenty of places to hunt from local biologists and such too. See plenty of them south of Tucson last year while deer hunting.

27-Jun-20
Thanks for the info. I'm just getting started looking into this and had researched what kind of public land was available to hunt in Arizona. Not much public land to hunt on around where I live at.

27-Jun-20
My buddy did it last year knowing nothing about the public land as a winter break type hunt and killed one. He said he hiked all day, but the animals were there.

27-Jun-20
You don't need a guide. Sometime in October AZ will do their draw for javelina permits, for a January hunt. Suggest you look south of Tucson- that vicinity. There is a lot of BLM land and some Forest Service land- all open. As for finding javelina, they like to be found on south or east facing slopes when the sun first comes up. Find a high point to glass, or, as I do, glass/walk as sitting isn't great fun. If you go onto the AZ game and fish website they have posts about various game in each hunting unit- great place to get some info on where to hunt.

27-Jun-20
Excluding the res's, I believe AZ is ~90% public land.

27-Jun-20
Plenty of ranch hunts for them in S. Tx + hogs. Limit two Javies & usually unlimited hogs. $45, 5 day non resident tag, no draws if your interested.

27-Jun-20
I’d be interested in South Texas also.

27-Jun-20
If you are looking to hunt with an outfitter I would do south Texas. As mentioned above, cheap tags (no draw), 2 javis plus hogs. Now it would be a different type hunt most likely, more feeder based probably. I have killed them spot and stalk in TX, but feeders would be more common probably. Or a hybrid, spot and stalk around feeders or corned roads. They are fun to hunt, good luck.

—Jim

28-Jun-20
Check on Rate the day lease on Texasbowhunter.com. These guys will put you in touch with places & information. Feb., March is a good time for Tx..

28-Jun-20
Check on Rate the day lease on Texasbowhunter.com. These guys will put you in touch with places & information. Feb., March is a good time for Tx..

29-Jun-20
Thanks!

29-Jun-20
They are so much fun to hunt and pretty easy if the wind is right! AZ is a blast for the little buggers, but Texas is probably better... Just different hunts!

Read up on gutting and skinning them! Do Not touch the hide and then the meat, it'll be ruined. Get the meat on ice as fast as possible! I have eaten a bunch of them and I like them in tacos, burritos, spaghetti, etc. The meat is actually a little bland if treated with care! Good luck and keep us posted!

29-Jun-20
I'll echo Scar's advice: if you take good care of the meat it's delicious...if you taint it with the musk from their scent gland and hair it's nearly inedible. Treat it right!

10-Feb-21

pirogue's embedded Photo
pirogue's embedded Photo
Filled my tag yesterday, during the AZ HAM hunt.

10-Feb-21
Two things I love about javelina hunting: 1. While it can get nippy at night, it's nothing compared to where I live (WY), so it's a nice escape south in January. 2. You can get up a bit later in the morning than 0-dark-30 elk hunting. Enjoy yourself!

10-Feb-21

BOHNTR's embedded Photo
BOHNTR's embedded Photo
They’re fun to chase in AZ with a recurve!

15-Feb-21

Novembermadman 's embedded Photo
Novembermadman 's embedded Photo
What's not to like about a Javie hunt in January when most of the country is in a deep freeze and you are hunting in a t-shirt!

• Sitka Gear