Panther Bone 01-Jul-20
Brotsky 01-Jul-20
nmwapiti 01-Jul-20
Treeline 01-Jul-20
Predeter 02-Jul-20
APauls 02-Jul-20
Panther Bone 02-Jul-20
01-Jul-20
I have some Inner Circle awards with Kuiu and was thinking of getting the Ultra Down jacket for something lighter and more compact than my Uncompaghre.

Anybody got one and what’s your thoughts on it? Open to any experiences and suggestions here.

Thanks

01-Jul-20
I love Kuiu, but there is no need to spend that much on a down puffy that is going to go under another garment anyway. There are far cheaper and equally effective (not KUIU camo) options that are on sale often from any outdoor clothing store. Save the money or "points" for other items that are truly differentiated.

01-Jul-20
I have the hooded jacket. I own quite a bit of down because of we here I life and hunt, and the Kuiu is the warmest for weight jacket I’ve ever worn. I also have the original down pants. They’re always in my pack during the day and if it’s cold at night I wear them in my sleeping bag. I got the jacket for half price on a sale because it was a solid colour that nobody wanted. (Dark blue).

For weight and bulk, plus “water proof” down, I don’t think you can beat it. The only downside is you simply cannot hike in it. You’ll sweat immediately and it does not breathe.

01-Jul-20
Ambush is spot on with his assessment. His jacket is more recent and warmer than my original hooded Super Down (<9 oz) I bought the year they came out (2013 or 15?), but I've been very happy with the jacket and zip-off pants. They both are still performing well and I take them on every back pack/country hunt I go on.

01-Jul-20
I just purchased one this year to keep in my pack for glassing. I likely will not hunt with it on as it is too noisy. It is the lightest down jacket I have ever held and I have other backpacking down jackets. You decide if the price is worth it.

01-Jul-20
There are likely some non-Kuiu options out there that may be cheaper.

Not sure how water proof other brands would be but have had good luck in SW USA. Not sure about the coastal NW. Would wear rain gear over it in that part of the world.

All of the puffy’s I’ve seen are noisy. I primarily wear mine for glassing or around camp and would take it off for a stalk.

My Kuiu puffy lives in my backpack. I consider it survival gear. Definitely happy with it.

01-Jul-20
I have some Inner Circle awards with Kuiu and was thinking of getting the Ultra Down jacket for something lighter and more compact than my Uncompaghre.

Anybody got one and what’s your thoughts on it? Open to any experiences and suggestions here.

Thanks

01-Jul-20
Love my Kuiu super down. Like Treeline it's often in my pack In a lot of situations. It packs down very small and weighs almost nothing. No reason not to have it with you in a pinch. It's noisy but not too bad if it's under something. I usually wear it under my guide jacket on very cold hunts.

01-Jul-20
Really like my Kuiu super down when the temp drops. It's the original version. A little noisy, but very warm, weighs very little, packs down nice and is water repellent. I also usually wear it under my guide jacket.

01-Jul-20
For layering, in really cold conditions, I have used the down layer over a long sleeve merino shirt, guide vest, super down, guide jacket, and the Chugatch rain gear for wet and wind.

02-Jul-20

Predeter's embedded Photo
Predeter's embedded Photo
Wearing mine right now scouting for deer. 2nd yr I've had it. I love it for early trips, its definitely not as warm as some others. I haven't babied it and its holding up great so far. It's so light it's hard to believe it's as warm as it is! I have the FL also and it will definitely suit your needs as lighter and more compressible.

02-Jul-20
I had the super down and swapped it for the super ultra down. Both hooded. Noticed no warmth difference between the two, but either are amazing. When you get it in the mail it's like: "reeeeeeally... this is supposed to be super warm hey?" But ya, it really is. It's outstanding. Purely made for non-motion warmth. And it is noisy, but it quiets down when it is warm and inside another jacket. I throw it under my FirstLite Sanctuary jacket for really really cold sits. Makes a world of a difference and the whitetails don't bust me even in the "still frozen calm." Because it packs down so small it has been a lifesaver a couple times to have along.

Cons: Noisy, and will shred if walking through brush. If you're wanting to wear it on the outside and walk through anything that will snag it - don't buy it. If you're wanting to use it as an outer layer and still hunt animals - don't buy it.

02-Jul-20
Thanks guys. I got it at %20 off. I’m thinking it’ll be a solid addition using it like APauls does.

• Sitka Gear