pav 13-Oct-20
DEMO-Bowhunter 13-Oct-20
Beav 13-Oct-20
TRnCO 13-Oct-20
Mbako 22-Jan-21
Two Feathers 22-Jan-21
sticksender 23-Jan-21
10-Oct-20
First of all, I'd like to thank the many bowsiters that helped me on this hunt. As you that helped know, I was offered the tag via email on Saturday after someone had turned the tag in. I had never scouted the unit, only passed through it. By the time I left on Tuesday for this unit, I felt like I knew it pretty well for never really being there. I talked with a few of you, emailed back and forth with others, and PM'd with others. Thank you all again. Unfortunately and Fortunately my/our hunt lasted about 15 hours. (My son accompanied me). I only say unfortunately because we didn't get a chance to check out all the areas that you all had suggested.

10-Oct-20

KC9's embedded Photo
He is in the middle of this picture
KC9's embedded Photo
He is in the middle of this picture
We arrived at our unit Tuesday evening about an hour before dark to where we had planned to begin our hunt. After glassing for about 5 minutes, we spotted our first goat(encouraging). It was alone by itself, bedded and about a mile away. Being our first goat hunt, and our spotting scope not the greatest, we could not determine if it was a Billy or a Nannie. We were leaning towards Billy because it was alone, but did not know for sure. We didn't spot anymore goats that evening in our unit, but did see up to 15 goats in the unit to the north of us.

10-Oct-20

KC9's embedded Photo
The white rock
KC9's embedded Photo
The white rock
We camped about 15 minutes down from where we spotted the goat. Up at 6, and to the glassing point at 7. After glassing for 10 minutes and not seeing anything but a white rock, we got out our spotting scope and the white rock moved. Our goat was down from where he was from the night before, but balled up in a bed. We watched him for maybe an hour as he got up and started up into the rocks. We lost sight of him, but we determined he must of bedded in the rocks he walked into. Seeing no other goats, we made the decision that we need to get a closer look at this goat. So we got ready for a hike.

10-Oct-20

KC9's embedded Photo
KC9's embedded Photo
KC9's embedded Photo
A little closer view
KC9's embedded Photo
A little closer view
So about 8:45 we took off. About a mile into the hike and an hour later we spotted our goat on a rock on the skyline. After talking it over, we determined that the best way to get on this goat was to get above him. We thought if we got around the rock face above him, I may be able to work my way down to him.

10-Oct-20

KC9's embedded Photo
KC9's embedded Photo
So after about another mile and nearly an hour later, we peeked over the top of a large rock to get a great view of the goat. We were 200 yards above it. It was now 11 AM.

10-Oct-20

KC9's embedded Photo
KC9's embedded Photo
KC9's embedded Photo
KC9's embedded Photo
KC9's embedded Photo
KC9's embedded Photo
So for the next hour, we tried to determine the best way to get on this goat. We backed off and I checked out one chute, then another. Finally, thinking coming down from straight above him wouldn't work and he'd have a clear line of sight on me, I decided the best way to get on him would be to retrace my steps, go down on the other side of him(the way we came up) and come into him at his level or slightly below him and work up to him. So my son stayed 200 yards above him where we were with the camera and I took off at 12 noon. A couple pictures he took of him during the next 5 hours while I was putting on a stalk.

10-Oct-20
Great pictures! Still watching for more updates!

10-Oct-20

KC9's embedded Photo
KC9's embedded Photo
So I take off, 1st hour things are going great, I have moved down and around him, I am still above him, but am probably about a 100 yards on the opposite side of him. He is facing a way from me as I work my way down. I figure I need to get slightly below him so that when he is bedded, he would not be able to see me. I then could work my way up to him. So I get behind a large rock to sneak a peek at him. He stands, stretches and lays back down facing directly at me. He's got me pinned, no where to go till he looks the other way, so the waiting game starts. I range find him at 116 yards. It is 1:30 now. At 2, he stands, stretches and lays back down the same way. I make the call to wait him out. At 3:15, finally he stands and prepositions himself facing strait away from me. I continue my trek down to try and get below him, 10 minutes goes by, things are going well. Then for some reason he gets up and lays back down looking again at my direction. It's now 3:30 and again the waiting game continues. I range find him at 102 yards. So he lays there for an hour, time is 4:30. I had figured we probably wanted to head down off the mountain by 5, as it would take this old man at least an hour and half to get back. So a little after 4:30, I decide to push the envelope a little bit. He spots me I believe, so now it's time to try the white sweatshirt, white balaclava trick that two people had told me about...do the feeding goat. So I walked out in sight of him and start browsing around and look up to see him stand up watching me. After 5 minutes he lays back down, looking at me and I start to cut the distance. He stands up when I'm at 80 yards, lays back down a couple minutes later. I slowly move to 60 yards, he stands looking at me, I range find him, and I range find a rock 40 yards from me. When what I believe he lays back down he no longer has sight of me. I move as fast as I can to that rock that now puts me 20/22 yards from where I believed he was. He stands up facing me, he gives off some kind of warning sign, I draw as he starts to move and he opens up and my shot is perfect. My son hasn't seen me for 5 hours, but gets me as I get to the 20 yard spot.

10-Oct-20

KC9's embedded Photo
Seconds before the shot-waiting for him to open up
KC9's embedded Photo
Seconds before the shot-waiting for him to open up
KC9's embedded Photo
Watching him on his fall
KC9's embedded Photo
Watching him on his fall
So my shot is perfect, I move up just in time to see him drop within 2 feet of going over the edge, and I watch him..and over he goes. 700 feet I watch him go down the whole way and come to rest at the bottom. He lost 3+ inches of horn on one side, he measured 9 5/8 on his good horn. But I had my Billy. We were able to get him all out that night, only because he went over the top. At the bottom, he ended up about 1/3 of a mile from a trail, which was a mile and a half from the Trailhead. At 10:15 PM, we arrived back at the truck with our final load. 15 hours, I was beat, sore, but had a great memory of a great day with my son.

10-Oct-20
Awesome and congrats!

10-Oct-20

KC9's embedded Photo
KC9's embedded Photo
KC9's embedded Photo
KC9's embedded Photo
KC9's embedded Photo
KC9's embedded Photo

10-Oct-20
Way to get it done! Congrats!

10-Oct-20
Awesome hunt! Congratulations!

10-Oct-20
That was an epic of a hunt and with your son along made it more special. Nicely done. My best, Paul

10-Oct-20
Fantastic........congratulations, great hunt and a great story!

10-Oct-20
I’d say it was the right decision to accept the tag! Very cool that you got to share an incredible hunt with your son, and even got pictures of the stalk. Congrats on your goat, KC!

10-Oct-20
Nice! Way to get it done on a last minute tag.

10-Oct-20
Way cool! Congratulations

10-Oct-20
What a hunt. Congrats! To think just a few days ago you were thinking about if you even wanted the tag to sitting behind a great goat! Well done.

10-Oct-20
Outstanding. Congratulations!!

10-Oct-20
echo the above comments. Huge congrats. Great job. Super cool to have your son with you. Man, you really stayed patient and it paid off.

10-Oct-20
Congratulations! Very well done! And was a bonus to have your son along with you. thanks for sharing.

10-Oct-20
Awesome congrats

10-Oct-20
Congrats on the tag, the goat and having your son along for the adventure.

10-Oct-20
That's awesome! Congrats

10-Oct-20
Super adventure- great trophy. Congrats !!

10-Oct-20
Well done!!!! Congrats!

10-Oct-20
Congratulations! Fantastic hunt and great story, thanks for sharing.

10-Oct-20
Congratulations, and thank you for sharing a great story!

10-Oct-20
Congratulations!

10-Oct-20
Best it gets

10-Oct-20
Outstanding... congratulations. I wanna draw just one tag before I die... 2021 is gonna be my year. Ed F

10-Oct-20
Congrats. Nice goat. Too bad about the broken horn, but the hair on a goat is just as much of a trophy, and that one looks great! After all, there isn't much difference between a big goat's and an average goat's horn size.

10-Oct-20
Amazing job pulling off that stalk and shot!

Congrats, definitely a well-earned Trophy.

10-Oct-20
Phenomenal story - thanks for sharing and congrats! Kudos on the neat pics too - felt like I was right there with you guys. Super cool.

10-Oct-20
Than ks for sharing this! Great moves on the stalk....patience & adaptability! Well deserved!!

10-Oct-20
Love the story! Great goat, too!

10-Oct-20
Congrats, and thanks for sharing!

10-Oct-20
Cool pics of the final moment! Congrats on the great billie. I'd have no qualms about repairing the broken horn.

10-Oct-20
Two thumbs up - what an epic adventure ...... well done.

10-Oct-20
Great job and grats. Thanks for posting up the hunt.

10-Oct-20
Man, way to get it done on your first stalk!!!

10-Oct-20
Congrats on a great goat! Thanks for posting pictures and sharing your story!

10-Oct-20
That’s a great trophy, congratulations.

Only goat I’ve taken was in G16 and most of the credit goes to Brandon who helped me scouting. I’m headed to try to arrow a big billy here shortly on our trip to Kodiak.

10-Oct-20
Congratulations KC9, Its amazing how it all worked out for you this year. Awesome

10-Oct-20
Great hunt!!

10-Oct-20
Wow! Great hunt and story! Congratulations and thank u for sharing!

11-Oct-20
Well Done!

Happy for ya,

Robb

11-Oct-20
Bowsite gets the assist again. Congrats.

11-Oct-20
That’s just so awesome! Congratulations!!

12-Oct-20
Congrats!

12-Oct-20
Wow thats awesome! Cognrats

12-Oct-20
Outstanding all the way around, phenomenal pics and recap, congrats and thanks for sharing!

12-Oct-20
Congratulations! Great hunt and write-up.

12-Oct-20
Amazing! What a hunt, so well done!

12-Oct-20
Well done! I really liked the photos that show you and the goat in the same frame.....

12-Oct-20
Congrats! Great story

12-Oct-20
Awesome stalk and great description - congrats!!!

12-Oct-20
Thanks for sharing, great story! Congrats!

13-Oct-20
Congrats! Thanks for taking us along!

13-Oct-20
Very cool! Congrats!

13-Oct-20
Congrats on a great billy!

13-Oct-20
awesome story with the pics to go along with it.

Congrats..

22-Jan-21
Coach, this is a great read! Thank you for sharing this epic experience and congratulations!

22-Jan-21
That was very cool. Congratulations.

23-Jan-21
Surprised that I missed this thread. Love these Mountain Goat hunt reports....congrats KC!

• Sitka Gear