Highlife 27-Nov-22
Hawkeye 27-Nov-22
bowwild 29-Oct-23
nchunter 29-Oct-23
MikeSohm/Magnus 09-Nov-23
Lee 12-Nov-23
Lee 12-Nov-23
14-Jan-21
I know he was charged with violations but regardless, I knew this man since I was about 13-14 years old. We lived in the same town & belonged to the same club in which we were part of the main group that formed it. I have set up his bow b/4 when I had my shop/lanes. He had his faults (who doesn't) but knowing him, he was likable & for sure a great archer & bowhunter. Unfortunaltley he got caught up in "being a celeberty". We competed against each other many times but never shared hunting adventures (we did deer hunt on a couple club hunts). We were friends but not buddies. I haven't seen him in many years but got a call letting me know of his passing last week.. RIP Noel.

14-Jan-21
RIP. Noel.

14-Jan-21
Ditto : RIP.

14-Jan-21
RIP Mr. Feather.

14-Jan-21
Yup met him 30 years ago!! Did some stupid things to self promote but I thought he was a great guy. Truly a great bowhunter and killed some giants bears!! RIP Mr Feather!! Shawn

14-Jan-21
Sad news. I loved watching his videos back in the day. I'm not one to eternally condemn one for mistakes. I know deer hunting means very little in the grand scheme of things, but I hope he felt restored prior to his passing.

14-Jan-21
Yep, I remember watching his videos back in the day. RIP Mr. Feather.

14-Jan-21
He was somebody’s father...

RIP, Mr. Noel

14-Jan-21
Sorry to hear. RIP, Noel.

I have his book and I'm sure I've seen most if not all of his videos. I remember he traveled around with that big, full body mounted Illinois buck to the shows where he did his rattling seminars.

14-Jan-21
Sorry to hear this damn I'm feeling old.

14-Jan-21
RIP Noel. Forrest

14-Jan-21
Excellent comment Bowfreak and I agree.

14-Jan-21
RIP Mr. Feather. Pretty sure I still have a set of his signature synthetic rattling antlers around here somewhere....

14-Jan-21
Noel was ok. Ran into him all the time on the show circuit back in the day Sorry to hear this. RIP Noel!!

14-Jan-21
Met him through Jim Miller, my Hoyt Rep at the time. He was quite the guy. RIP.

14-Jan-21
RIP Noel. >>>>>-------->

14-Jan-21
RIP sir....your advice helped me many years ago.

14-Jan-21
I know the name and seen some of his early vids on the old beta tapes way back when. I recall one where he spined a mule deer in the woods. At the time the deer seemed very relaxed....almost tame?? RIP to him and thoughts to his family.

14-Jan-21
RIP Mr. Feather.

14-Jan-21
Anyone know his age?

14-Jan-21
I always liked Noel. I went on an antelope hunt in Wyoming back in 1987 that I booked through him and actually hunted with him in Canada on one of his bear hunts, both hunts were great and he was a blast around the camp fire, farewell good friend.

14-Jan-21
RIP Noel, enjoyed reading and following him. Was disappointing what he did but all of us have made mistakes. God speed

14-Jan-21
I think I still have “Bitter Cold Bucks” vhs tape at my PA hunting cabin. Seemed like a good guy. I don’t care about whatever mistakes he made. None of us are perfect. It’s not like he killed anyone or shot a crossbow. RIP Noel.

14-Jan-21
RIP but I don't forgive him for the black eye he gave bowhunters with canned hunts, transporting deer into hunt areas to get them on film and self-promote . Yeah we all can make mistakes but many of us don't make those kinds of mistakes.

14-Jan-21
Age 84

14-Jan-21
Toby bear, I don’t disagree but the man has died and the offenses were decades ago. He paid his dues. His career as an outdoor celebrity was destroyed. I think it’s time to move on.

14-Jan-21
Saw him at the Mn. Deer Classic 100 years ago with Bob Fratzke...back when it was worth the drive...he put on a pretty damn good seminar that hooked me for life. I agree with Pat; the man paid his dues LONG ago.

14-Jan-21
Yes, he paid his dues. Was 84. He had cancer & died in his home town with Hospice.. I have many fond memories of him & the many winter leagues we shot.. Me, him & 2 other fellas did a promotion for our archery club & the local gun club with a archery shoot off with 4 Gun Club pistol shooters. We shot 20 arrows/bullets each (Indoor 300 round face). Possible 100 each for score. I had 99, Noel 97 & the other 2, 95s. The pistol shooters were about 40 points behind at the end. Local newspaper covered it & the last line in the article said, "the Indians won"..

14-Jan-21
I would venture to guess hes not any worse than any other hunting "celebrity" if the truth were known... I know reading of his passing reminded me of how much I miss the days from back then... It was a better time to be a bowhunter.

14-Jan-21
TonyB......do you know if that old beta video hunt I mentioned above was part of what you're talking about?

14-Jan-21
Didn't so know many righteous men wrote on these pages. Guessing if those are his worst sins and he made peace with the Lord he will be welcome and be judged no more.

14-Jan-21
Glass houses.......

14-Jan-21

JL's Link
For anyone curious...here's his obit on Legacy.

15-Jan-21
Forgive and forget. RIP Noel.

15-Jan-21
One of the icons. One of the originals. Bless him and his loved ones.

15-Jan-21
Rip had a booth next to me at Madison expo 1 year

15-Jan-21
I know the name and seen some of his early vids on the old beta tapes way back when. I recall one where he spined a mule deer in the woods. At the time the deer seemed very relaxed....almost tame?? RIP to him and thoughts to his family.

You are thinking of a Sportsman's On Film video called "Bowhunting Elk, Whitetail Mule Deer and Black Bear." All canned hunts, I could even see that when I was a 10 year old watching it.

15-Jan-21
^...could be. I remember the mule deer looked out of place in the type of woods it was in....a "back east" look. This was back in the early-mid 1980's.

15-Jan-21
If that's the video where the extremely obese black bear is following marshmallows to the guys stand....that was not Noel.

15-Jan-21
I remember renting bitter cold bucks. Him and Dan Fitzgerald. RIP Noel.

15-Jan-21
RIP. I met him at a show years ago and still have a book he signed for me. At that time he was the man for rattling bucks.

15-Jan-21
Loved Noel’s videos, even his guest appearances on early Realtree stuff - he did a lot for hunting/bowhunting before being tempted by the dark side. As Pat said, Noel already paid a huge price for his career ending mistake. But Pat got me to laugh out loud with, “not like he killed anyone or used a crossbow.” RIP Noel.

15-Jan-21
I remember watching him and Fitzgerald way back when. Wonder what happened to Dan. His son Guy was taking over but I think he fizzled out with VCR’s. Rest In Peace Noel.

15-Jan-21
^....Someone within the Fitz organization is posting their legacy vids on Youtube. I checked a few out earlier today....pretty cool. Looking at those old compounds they're using makes ya think they're hunting with old trad equipment.

15-Jan-21
BC go on YouTube and their are a ton of Fitzgerald videos. Dan is like 80 and still trucking amazing.

15-Jan-21
One of my first “heroes” as a young bow hunter. Spent many days skipping school & watching all his videos with a bunch of friends, hahahaha. Good times for sure. RIP Brother.

15-Jan-21
I remember Mr Feather at the Dixie Deer Classic in Raleigh. He rubbed an onion all over my buddies arm and then sprayed him down with some spray he was selling. It worked for awhile. In the car home to Charlotte he smelled a little funky. Feather made some great videos and always answered every question I have asked him. We all screw up somewhere in our lives.

16-Jan-21
One of the icons. One of the originals. Bless him and his loved ones.

16-Jan-21
R I P Noel! .... Noel got a 'raw deal' back in the day! But yes Noel was in the public eye and 'some' set out to ruin him because of that. Illinois & Missouri 'people in office' mostly caused Noel his troubles (and I also knew them in Illinois) ..... sad to say the least. But they and Noel himself ruined him and his goals ..... I always stuck up for Noel and I still respected him and our friendship. Noel was fun to hang with and talk to and I miss them old days. RIP Noel and save me a place at your campfire sir! -}}}}}}}}}}}}----------------------->

16-Jan-21
Hunted with Noel and his wife for about 10 years every October in northern Wisconsin. Late 1950s to late 60s. Too many stories. lol all good ones. Sorry to hear he died. Good guy.

16-Jan-21
Good to hear from you, Herm!

16-Jan-21
Those canned hunts of shooting tame animals hurt all bowhunters. It took 20 years or more to calm down your average non-hunter over that kind of behavior. Especially the ones I was working with to gain permission to hunt, improve public opinion, city council members, etc.

As a lifelong advocate of fair chase and true P & Y, B &C records; I didn't appreciate the crap my fellow bowhunters and I took being compared to him and other poachers. Granted I may never get a P & Y, B &C using fair chase but I can live with that.

16-Jan-21
Interesting TB, other than other hunters at bow shoots etc. I didn't ever hear anyone speak of Noel Feather much less know who he is or was. I shot all over the state the of WI and MN, a topic of discussion on occasion but no one ever dwelled on it as you speak of in these circles. Never had a land owner bring up Noel for reason for denial. This was way before social media and the like so it surprises me so many in your area were aware of him. Glad you are without error in life, I and from what I can tell many on here cannot carry a candle to your righteous life. If you ever to commit a unforgivable mistake I hope some will find it in their heart to forgive you.

17-Jan-21
I think he lit a fire in a lot of hunters and change their way in going after big mature bucks.

17-Jan-21
Well screwball maybe you didn't encounter it but I certainly did. While he may have been a good person in other ways the planned and choreographed behavior or "mistakes" for his shows is not. Forgive the person not the behavior.

17-Jan-21
Bow hunting is better off net net from what the early pioneers did. Weigh pros and cons. Pros weigh more.

17-Jan-21
But Pat got me to laugh out loud with, “not like he killed anyone or used a crossbow.”

I chuckled too. :)

17-Jan-21
I had forgotten about him and vaguely remember that he got in some trouble 30 or so years ago. I did see him at some sport shows many years ago. Guessing very few age 50 and under know who he was. And in my view, he was a net positive positive for bow hunting.

17-Jan-21
RIP Noel Feather

17-Jan-21
EmbreyOklahoma

I'm with you. Pats comment is one of the funniest I have ever seen on here

17-Jan-21
Noel Feather has paid his debt for being human, and subject to human failings. We’re all going to pay that debt in full eventually. Godspeed to Noel, and all sympathies to his family.

17-Jan-21
You were someone I looked up to in my younger years as bowhunter . RIP , Noel

17-Jan-21
X2 Pope125

18-Jan-21
Hang in there Gregg Ritz. The day your obituary appears in the newspaper all of your alleged wrong doings will be forgiven and you will be returned to the status of bow hunting hero. LMAO .

18-Jan-21
RIP. I remember the name associated with rattling. I’m pretty sure I remember a video of him shooting a big buck that looked like it had been drugged and was literally leaning a against a tree. That video was a disgrace, but it could’ve been someone else.

Pats comment made me laugh out loud:)

18-Jan-21
I was blessed to have called Noel my friend. He was a good man and a better friend. He was the first to say he messed up and he made no excuses and moved on. He once told me that leaving the industry was one of the best things that ever happened to him. He didn’t realize how much pressure was on him until he was out of it. Over the years I saw him buy kids stuff they couldn’t afford and give food and money to the homeless. Always when he thought no one was looking. And he did so much for bowhunting and shared his knowledge. If you have something bad to say just keep it for another day. The man is gone and show some respect to the people that really knew him. And if you feel you need to speak of someone you didn’t know let me tell this story. Years ago we were at a show. Noel was the first person to rattle in three B&C bucks His 223” buck is still the most impressive buck I’ve seen. He had a 10 pt set of rattling horns that he had used on the bucks and that he used in seminars. Some guy came by the booth several times Looking at the horns. He had a little boy with him that kept saying daddy this and daddy that. The guy said it was his weekend to keep him. Noel stepped out to go to the bathroom and someone stole his rattling horns. I walked up with lunch as Noel was looking for them and we saw the guy leaving with a large bag with antler tips sticking through the bag. Noel was mad. I started after the guy and Noel grabbed me by the arm and said he didn’t want to embarrass the guy in front of the kid. He if needs them that bad let him have them. It really bothered him loosing them. But what the kid thought of his dad meant more. That’s the kind of guy Noel Feather was. Yes I am blessed to have known him. God’s speed my friend. AA

18-Jan-21
"Bitter Cold Whitetails" I have. I watch it annually in January. RIP Noel.

18-Jan-21
RIP noel!

19-Jan-21
RIP Noel. Thanks for the memories

19-Jan-21
Altizer - I probably should keep quiet, but bothers me to the point to say something... That was a terrible example for the kid... Dad got away with it teaching the kid that stealing is okay if ya get away with it... Maybe a little humiliation would have taught both the father and son the wrongs of stealing...

20-Jan-21
Zbone. Great point and I can fully agree to a point. But we now have the luxury to time to think. Noel’s initial reaction was made in a few seconds and he protected the kids time with his dad. Split second decisions bring out the truth in someone. That was my point. Good hearing from you.

21-Jan-21
I talked with him several times at the Deer and Turkey Expo in Madison, WI. I attended his seminars, bought a copy of his book and he autographed a 8x10 photo for me. He was a very nice man, looked you in the eye and answered your questions like it was the first time he heard it. I think I have all his videos, although I maybe missing one of his last ones I'm not sure. I always got a kick out of him and Dan F. hunting together. I think I have a full collection of Dan's videos too, including two that were not released to the general public. Anyway, RIP Noel. Thanks for the memories! BC

21-Jan-21
I rented his vhs tapes several times ( I had to rent the vcr too)

Rest In Peace

21-Jan-21

ahunter76's embedded Photo
ahunter76's embedded Photo
1957 Northen Wisconsin annual Broken Arrow Bowhunters club week long hunt. We did this many years. Noel is next to Marilyn & this was end of the week. Anyone who tagged a Deer, we hung in the local locker & then took rm back to Ill. when we left. Tons of Memories from those daysl

21-Jan-21
Why would you hang someone in a locker for taking a deer. Seems like you want to reward them not torture them. Those were different times I guess

21-Jan-21
Funny Boo. Be careful, someone will make that a true story..

21-Jan-21
Nice vintage photo above! I use to have a camo bow sock like Marilyn's.

21-Jan-21
Broken Arrow in Coleta?

22-Jan-21
yes. I was one of the originals that started that club. We bought that house moved it to the ground where the club was. I have no idea how many times my brother & I put in that field range by ourselves. First straw bales & then exclesor's. I have a ton of fun memories on that range. Those were some great days in archery/bowhunting.

22-Jan-21
We shot alot of 3d at the one that had a trailer in a small wood lot. Had to be close to 20 years ago also shot over at Coleta sportsman club now there was a brutal course in the summer.

23-Jan-21

Ridge Runner's embedded Photo
Ridge Runner's embedded Photo
Back a few yrs ago (1985 I believe , gotta be that long ago because of all my black hair and beard lol), I won a 3o/30 rifle from Whitetails Unlimited at the WI Deer Classic Their booth was next to Noel Feather’s booth I believe. I got my pic taken with him and the Whitetails group Was a nice guy to us.,Zebra might have been the show you were at

24-Jan-21
Few know it but Noel went on to become half of the Brooks and Dunn duo and changed the course of country music. Surprised nobody has mentioned that.

24-Jan-21
Those videos were terrible But I agree with the thought that he was just a human. He was excommunicated and paid the price. I think when someone passes is not the appropriate time to bring up all the dirt.

But maybe it’s a good time to remind ourselves of the danger in making celebrities into hero’s because they kill a lot of animals. or trophy animals.

24-Jan-21
After thinking about this some.....I think he maybe one of (if not the) first celeb hunter to run afoul of the law. Of course there are others since then. But being the "first" gives you a special spot, especially when celeb hunting shows weren't common back then. Alot of name recognition for a lot of years.

In context, I believe even Phil Robertson had his run-ins with the law but he doesn't get looked at the same as Mr. Feather.

24-Jan-21
He sure did ( Phil that is) I remember as a kid reading about the family transgressions in Outdoor Life.

24-Jan-21

Bowboy's Link
Mr. Feather wasn't even the same caliber violations as the Wildlife Serial Killer Don Lewis. This guy was a true violator of all game violations period. Noel made a mistake and paid the price, but was mostly a decent individual.

24-Jan-21
1981 took wife to Anderson Archery in Mich. to see Noel and Roger R. could not get ciose to those stars.Wife looks in a window and says is that Mr. Bear lets go see him.Well Mr. Bear says to the wife come on in and we spend a hour talking with Mr, Fred Bear.So thank you Noel Feather for the best trip to meet a real bowhunting hero .

25-Jan-21

ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
For those that don't realize it, Noel Feather burst upon the scene as the "Only man to rattle in and harvest 3 Boone and Crockett whitetails." He was a like a rock star for a time. As a teenager in January 1990, Barry Wensel invited me to travel with him to the Buckmaster classic tourney in Alabama. Noel was more popular than the Wensels, Bill Jordan, and his sudden rise in popularity was meteoric. I couldn't believe it when I showed up and he had the "Battling Bucks" collection trailered up with him at the tourney. He was gracious to pose for a photo. I had read about his biggest buck which I think grossed in the 220's and netted around 214. Alan Altizer noted the enormous size of the buck because it was a 200 class typical framed giant.

I had autographed baseballs that weekend from Wade Boggs and many others but I was in awe of those bucks Noel had killed:) It's interesting that many knew him from archery tournaments because he could really shoot and I think came in 2nd or 3rd to Tony Adams (Vikings quarterback) and Bill Jordan who could also shoot well.

A young and up-start outdoor writer named "Greg Miller" actually killed the biggest buck of the tourney. No one really knew him at the time but they soon would be reading his many articles to come. ( He did have people accuse him of being Dale Earnhardt who was also at the tourney:)

26-Nov-22

DeerLureDave's embedded Photo
Noel’s last buck
DeerLureDave's embedded Photo
Noel’s last buck
I am setting in my stand here in Pennsylvania on opening day of gun season think about some past hunts so I googled Noel’s name because I really miss him this time of year. We hunted & guided together for many years. This man was like a grandfather to me. I learned a lot about this hunting industry and life from him and wish I could talk deer hunting strategies one more time RIP my (deer) friend.

27-Nov-22
I am from Noels home town area in Illinois. I met Noel when joing the Broken Arrow Bowhunters. We shared a few club "annual Deer" week long stays in Northern Wisconsin at Thraps lodge/cabins in Woodruff ..Some real fun times. We competed many times together & in leagues. I had a full time shop for many years & arranged for Noel to meet with Pete Shepley when PSE was in Illinois. That meeting resulted in Noels introduction to PSE Bowhunting staff member. Noel was a good bowhunter & all around good guy. Sadly he got caught up in the celebrity stuff. Regardless, I always liked him & for sure know many "things". He was a friend & his passing saddened me. I have many great memories of our times.

27-Nov-22
Gotta ask was your club in Colleta?

27-Nov-22
RIP Noel.

29-Oct-23
Mr. Feather was the first big time bowhunter, after Fred Bear that I had ever heard of. The multiple BC deer taken with a bow seemed an impossible accomplishment. I did not know he had passed. Yep, he made some mistakes, fewer than many I'm sure and he paid it seemed, a lot more than some do.

29-Oct-23
I met him once at a show and he seemed like a good guy. I did a search on "bowhunting october whitetails" on you tube the other day and it showed up. One of the noel feather movies showed up in the search.

09-Nov-23
Enjoy all of gods beautiful creation in paradise Noel Feather.

12-Nov-23
I remember the ads as a kid with him and a giant Buck with him in cowboy boots and a cowboy hat! Can still picture it. RIP

12-Nov-23
I remember the ads as a kid with him and a giant Buck with him in cowboy boots and a cowboy hat! Can still picture it. RIP

• Sitka Gear