Dino 24-Jan-21
ELKMAN 24-Jan-21
Pat Lefemine 24-Jan-21
Pat Lefemine 24-Jan-21
bowaddict 24-Jan-21
Dino 24-Jan-21
olebuck 25-Jan-21
21-Jan-21
LOOKING TO GET A MATHEWS BOW, NEED SOME INPUT AS TO WHAT BOW WOULD BE BEST FOR ME, I LOVE TO BOW HUNT, I AM 77 YEARS OLD, HAVING A LITTLE PROBLEM DRAWING MY SWITCHBACK, LOOKING TO BUY A NEW BOW, SOMETHING I CAN DRAW SMOOTHLY, APPRECIATE ANY INPUT. THANKS.

21-Jan-21
I’d go to a shop and shoot them and see what is best for you

21-Jan-21
How many pounds is your Switchback? You may be able to get lower poundage limbs for it. Otherwise, if you are stuck on Mathews, look at the V3 at 50#. I've had a couple 50# bows from another manufacturer and they are quite adequate for hunting in North America. Elites are also very user friendly.

21-Jan-21
Ditto Emine's comment. Rwcetly a friend for into archeryband after a ton of internet research he decided bow A was his pick. He went to a shop, shona few different brands, hated bow A and walked out with a product from another manufacturer.

You might ask if they sell a caps lock release button while you are there.

21-Jan-21
Yes what Ermine says. Go to an archery shop and find the right draw weight and fit.

21-Jan-21
Matt I would guess someone that’s 77 reads text better when it’s capitalized. Now he knows to get off your lawn though. ;)

21-Jan-21
Ermine is spot on!

21-Jan-21
Thanks everyone, And I can read lower case also, lol.

21-Jan-21
If you are sold on getting a Mathews you are not going to find a current Mathews model that draws as smooth as your Switchback. There are many easy drawing bows out there especially when you drop poundage from your current setup. Whatever weight you shoot now, I would drop. There won't be a huge loss in performance from dropping 10 lbs on a current bow compared to what you shoot on your Switchback.

What is your current draw weight?

21-Jan-21
For GREENELK.....I salute you for still wanting to bow hunt at 77. I hope I can follow in your footsteps if I make it that far.

21-Jan-21
Greenelk, that is your current draw weight and can it be lowered 4,6, 8 pounds? I use to pull 64# when I was in my early 70s. Now 81 years I dropped my draw weight to 60#. You would be surprised by just lowering the draw weight ,2,4,6 #, what a difference that can make. Even if you have to raise up your bow arm to a 45degree angle, this will help in your draw cycle. I also have rigged up a weight pully system that allows me to maintain strength in my shoulder and arm. I plan on bow hunting until I am 100, so start planning on that now.

21-Jan-21
^^^^^Agree with Bowfreak. Not sure you’re going to find a much smoother drawing bow than your Switchback. I’d suggest lowering your poundage somehow, and see if that helps, first.

21-Jan-21
My money is on paul. He will be hunting at 100. You can just sense it. Love it.

21-Jan-21
Anything but garbage Mathews

21-Jan-21
Caleb Mac what bow do you shoot?

21-Jan-21
I bought a basically brand new $100 Diamond Infinite Edge (joke bow right?).... off craigslist. Thought I would use it for bow fishing, give it away, or set it up for my 7 year old. The adjustment in weight and length is ridiculous. I am now second guessing buying a new compound for myself. I'm shooting apples out to 40 with 700 gr arrows. I figured instead I'll waste some money on custom longbows that are actually worth something in 10 years. For now I'll just hunt with my perfectly capable "junk bow". Having said that I would highly recommend any other bow with the same amount of adjustability.... If your looking new, the Bear Cruzer G2 is another. Any child can shoot it, and it cranks up to 70lbs. If you need extreme adjustability, might not be a bad option. My son's Cruzer is much nicer than expensive bows I have shot in years past (minus the stock sight and whisker biscuit). He is only shooting 40lbs, but to me it feels like pure butter, and with 550 gr arrows it is super quiet. I'm very impressed to say the least. Adjustable down to 5lbs and 12 inches....Really? Really. No press needed. https://beararchery.com/bows/cruzer-g2-rth-av83b21007r

21-Jan-21
Don’t focus just on Mathews as the smoothest bow I ever had was a Elite Hunter. I was pulling 72 pounds and it felt like 60.

21-Jan-21
I vote for Elite as well. Dropped from 70lbs to 60lbs and loving it! I shoot The Ritual.

22-Jan-21
Agree with rhoggman. I bought a used but excellent condition Infinite Edge a few years back for my granddaughter. Worked out great. As l at 82 years have owned most all of the top brands and can say that the Infinite Edge with its adjustability is about as good as any. I also agree with Paul regarding draw weight. I shot 76 pounds with various bows for over 50 years but dropped down to about 60 lbs. now. With todays bows, I shoot a heavier arrow faster than ever pulling a lot less weight. I went from a Mathews to a Diamond to a PSE over a period of years. What Paul said is "spot on". My advice would be to get as much adjustability as possible at a reasonable price. Good luck to you........Bob

22-Jan-21
I am a Mathews shooter and have shot the for close to 25 years. It's sad to say but nothing easy or smooth drawing about any of the new Mathews. You could buy a single cam like the ZXT which are a model from several years back and it be smooth. A Prime, Elite, even PSE evolve cam will be smoother than any Mathews. Shawn

22-Jan-21
PSE's evolve cam is as smooth as they come and fast as anything, I have the evo nxt 31 and its my favorite bow to date, whatever you do stay away from the heavy drawing mathews switch weight cam, unless you want a 60 pound bow that feels like 72 pounds. I had a vxr31.5 and hated that bow, so glad I got rid of it!

22-Jan-21
Good luck finding a 40 or 50 pound bow all i see is 70lbs and on a rare occasion a 60.

22-Jan-21
Any good archery shop will have bows in light weights or can order you one. I shoot a 50-60# New Mathews and my buddies shop had it in stock. I shoot 55#s now and it is plenty for anything in NA! Shawn

22-Jan-21
Take a close look at the Quest CenTec, it performs like a Prime, but at a more budget friendly price point.

I've shot them several times and found to draw cycle very smooth and hand shock non existent. Speeds from a 55# bow is exceptional.

23-Jan-21
Check out the Bowtech solution ss. The reviews I've seen say it is a very easy draw!

24-Jan-21
I see a few Hoyt Carbon bows on Archery talk for sale. The Carbon is great for Cold mornings. I shoot a Dfx cam in 50lbs on my target bow and it draws very smoothly and easily. Don’t look past a Carbon Defiant or some of the rx models! Good luck to u!

24-Jan-21
Go and shoot as many as you can. I would recommend one of the bowtechs in the smooth draw setting. Probably the easiest, smoothest drawing bows out there right now.

24-Jan-21
Smoothest shooting Mathews bow I’ve ever shot was the No-Cam. If you can find one used in the 50-60lb range at your draw length I think you’ll like it. There should be plenty for sale on the secondary market.

And one last thing. If you go to a pro shop they are likely going to push a crossbow for you. There’s no law saying that older hunters should be shooting a crossbow and I have every intention of sticking with my compound at your age as well. Congrats!

24-Jan-21
Smoothest shooting Mathews bow I’ve ever shot was the No-Cam. If you can find one used in the 50-60lb range at your draw length I think you’ll like it. There should be plenty for sale on the secondary market.

And one last thing. If you go to a pro shop they are likely going to push a crossbow for you. There’s no law saying that older hunters should be shooting a crossbow and I have every intention of sticking with my compound at your age as well. Congrats!

24-Jan-21
I second the no-cam, smoothest bow I've ever shot also. My son still shoots my old one even after I offered to get him a vxr 31.5. He shot a vxr side by side with his no-cam and just couldnt give up the smooth draw! And the bonus is they are one of the easiest bows I've ever tuned!

24-Jan-21
I shot the no cam as well. It is indeed a smooth drawing bow. The bow felt funny in my hand though. Did u guys find the grip strange too? Had a real awkward feel, even though the draw cycle was smooth!

25-Jan-21
i just purchased the V3 31.

there are a few items i like on this bow....

the concentric cams are great - will not have any timing issues the center shot cable roller guard is exceptional - makes the bow very very efficient and easy to tune. the bow is not under extreme pressures while at rest - makes the start of the draw cycle very very smooth. i opted for 75lb mods because it was so smooth and effortless.

The riser design also aids in aiming - i do not need a stabilizer on this bow.

• Sitka Gear