RK 27-Feb-21
21-Jan-21

Ken Moody Safaris's embedded Photo
Booking 2022 now...

19-Feb-21

That pit in your stomach you get when he turns for you...We Know Buffalo!

22-Feb-21

Know your quarry. Make the first shot count!

22-Feb-21

22-Feb-21

22-Feb-21

Cape Buffalo bone structure. Like a tank!

22-Feb-21

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
Had some young bulls at a waterhole

22-Feb-21

I wanted to arrow this guy but had no clue if that’s allowed or not.

24-Feb-21
If I volunteer to work as a camp jester can I get a discount?

24-Feb-21
Well, you certainly qualify for the position :>)

25-Feb-21
MathewsMan, I believe that's a Yellow Mongoose, and it's my understanding that you can shoot them. The other common mongoose in South Africa is the Banded Mongoose. Of the 15-20 Yellow Mongoose I've seen over the years, they've always been solitary animals. The Banded Mongoose, however, come in large groups of 15-30 usually. I think the Banded variety is actually a more attractive animal and more fun to watch due to their playful antics among the others in their group. I've never shot one, but I always thought it would sound badass to be able to say I'd shot a mongoose (because most Americans wouldn't realize it's only the size of a squirrel!).

25-Feb-21
woohoo! I'm finally qualified for something!

25-Feb-21
That price strikes me as really reasonable for a Cape Buffalo. If a fellow is into dangerous game, a Cape Buffalo is high on the list.

26-Feb-21
We normally hunt around 30 bulls per season and that kind of volume allows us to negotiate favorable pricing and provide our clients with excellent rates. That and the rate of exchange determines the dollar amounts we are able to charge.

26-Feb-21
Rifle or bow?

26-Feb-21
Either

26-Feb-21

We’ve got you covered. All of our professional hunters are dangerous game qualified and highly experienced. I don’t use apprentice PHs. I personally practice with my double rifle constantly and require proficiency from all my guys. Whether you hunt with rifle or bow, we’ll back you if things get dicey, and sometimes they do.

26-Feb-21
Some guys have a bucket list. My bucket has always had Cape Buffalo in it from top to bottom. They fascinate me. But alas, I wouldn’t spend twenty hours on a plane even if Jesus Christ were riding with me. I wish I would have done it years ago when I was in better shape and more adventurous.

26-Feb-21
Don’t get discouraged. Take a pill, go to sleep and when you awake...AFRICA! Hunting Cape Buffalo properly is worth the journey!

26-Feb-21
Exactly, an Ambien with a glass of wine. Then 2 movies your there.

Nice follow thru on the shot Ken

26-Feb-21
Yea, I shoot a lot and reload for my .470. It’s important to be ready. I shoot with my PHs as well to make sure they’re comfortable with the big bores. I only have one that gets a little excited but I’m working on him :)

26-Feb-21
It looks like one of your M1 Abrams

26-Feb-21
About the same amount of recoil :)

26-Feb-21

altitude sick's embedded Photo
Just got my mount back from my bow hunt with Ken

26-Feb-21
Shooting a big bore rifle in back up mode requires a different skill set than precision shooting from a rest. It’s not about breathing technique and trigger squeeze. It more like reflex or instinctive shooting. You have to develop a feel for your rifle. You bring the gun into action and as the bead comes onto the target you deliberately squeeze off the shot quickly and get back onto it for a rapid follow if necessary. It takes a lot of repetition to develop that instinct. You’re not really aiming, you’re shooting as the front bead bears onto the target. With a double you should be able to get two shots into a 3” bull at 15 yards in 3 seconds from first shot to second. A bolt action takes longer. You don’t have a lot of time and it’s a tense situation if it’s a charging buffalo. That’s why you hear too many stories of clients shooting their PHs or trackers, and short stroking a bolt action when trying to pull off a second shot. Rule of thumb...never let a client walk behind you when following a wounded buffalo. Keep him on your left and a step forward so you can place your left hand on his shoulder and guide him into position when necessary. Tough to do sometimes as the clients begin to lag if the track goes long but he can’t shoot you unless he’s behind you.

26-Feb-21
Kudos to you altitude sick, and good luck to you Ken !

26-Feb-21
I remember Jay’s hunt. He pulled off a perfect quartering on shot (most effective) and dropped the buffalo within a 100 yards or so. The mount looks great.

26-Feb-21

The yellow marks the broadhead hole, angling back

26-Feb-21
Ken

Who mentored or instructed you on shooting charging dangerous game when you first started all of this?

27-Feb-21
There’s really no instructions for it. There’s shooting academies and schools but honestly, you just need to be in the bush hunting a lot of dangerous game without getting killed or screwing up. You can’t practice it really but you can study anatomy and practice shot placement. Shooting a lot and familiarity with your big bore rifle is most important. After this season, I’ll hopefully have done over 375 buffalo hunts myself with clients. So far, there’s only been a very few instances when things have gone sideways. If you do everything right, you’ll significantly reduce the chances of a bad outcome.

27-Feb-21
Thanks Ken. Loved your perspective on that.

• Sitka Gear