Rob Nye 20-Feb-21
Rob Nye 22-Feb-21
Inshart 23-Feb-21
TrapperKayak 23-Feb-21
Live2Hunt 23-Feb-21
12-Feb-21

Rob Nye's embedded Photo
Rob Nye's embedded Photo
After 3 windyass days in a row in SK you can spot a deer trail on a flat field a mile away. Never saw them elevated before. Wind chill was -45 this morning; critters are tough around here.

12-Feb-21
That's cool. I thought it was an optical illusion

Are those ice fishing houses or something with oil or natural gas?

12-Feb-21
Cool pic!

12-Feb-21
Those are pretty cool looking whatever they are. Did the loose snow fall into the trail and the wind built the snow up over it?

12-Feb-21
Wind blew the snow away around the trails. A few days ago the trails were through the snow quite deep. Those huts are actually shelters for leafcutter bee hives used to pollinate alfalfa seed crops.

12-Feb-21
That's something completely new... y'all are so cold you're inverted.

12-Feb-21
I'll keep you posted. We are getting SK weather on Sunday and deer are all over my place.

12-Feb-21
I thought those were shooting houses on one of his best spots!

12-Feb-21
Makes sense. Packed snow, less wind erosion. Notice how they avoid the ice huts..cool pic.. thanks for the glimpse of the Great White North!

12-Feb-21
Makes sense. Packed snow, less wind erosion. Notice how they avoid the ice huts..cool pic.. thanks for the glimpse of the Great White North! Oh they are bee boxes, missed that first time through..

12-Feb-21
When I lived in Wasilla, AK the wind blew 50+ for days on end. We had built us a layer of hard snow about a foot deep. My boykins could run on top easily. Both were bitches and urinated all over the yard. Then we got one of our blows and when a couple days went by there were little yellow pillars all over what was an almost snow free yard.

Recognized your trails at first glance.

13-Feb-21
Wind chill this morning is -56. When people complain about the cold I tell them “ At least it keeps the riff-raff out.” :)

13-Feb-21
I think I know where some of your snow went, Rob! It’s only supposed to get to -34 windchill here tonight, though. Didn’t seem to stop some of the riff-raff from getting through, unfortunately;-)

13-Feb-21

Rob Nye's embedded Photo
Rob Nye's embedded Photo
Got up to -25 yday afternnon felt like a heat wave! Forecast looks good though will be near melting in a few days. We are lucky we had such a mild winter overall, deer are looking good even in this cold snap.

13-Feb-21

Rob Nye's embedded Photo
Rob Nye's embedded Photo

13-Feb-21
I also recognized they were previously packed trails. Another phenomenon that is similar occurs in the desert. After a frost or light snow, tracks that appear fresh can be days old. Undisturbed surfaces allow frost/snow to build while the compacted (foot prints) top layer does not. That is a "cool" picture.

14-Feb-21

Rob Nye's embedded Photo
Rob Nye's embedded Photo
Here’s something else YDSED. Went coyote calling yesterday; a great grey owl attacked the speaker on my Foxpro. Could see him coming for about a hundred yards, it never slowed down and talons hitting plastic at 20 below was pretty loud. He pecked it a few times and then sat on it for awhile, long enough to get my phone out for a pic.

14-Feb-21
Pretty cool, Rob! I’ve been dive bombed a time or two, by raptors as well. Did you have a visual attractor on your Foxpro, or did the owl key in on just the sound?

14-Feb-21

Rob Nye's embedded Photo
Rob Nye's embedded Photo
Just the sound. This powerline is a great place for calling.

17-Feb-21
Sheeeeitttt...as long as they have interstates ending in an odd number...I'll keep my riff-raff ass in the south.

God bless you guys enduring that.

19-Feb-21
Hey Rob, did u have any local bowhunters this fall? How did they do on deer?

20-Feb-21
Had one clent from MB ( a regular last 6 seasons) and one client from Alberta (new guy). Both saw a lot iof bucks and killed 140’s. Both are archers and are re-booked for next October.

22-Feb-21

Rob Nye's embedded Photo
Rob Nye's embedded Photo
Bingo!

23-Feb-21
That looks like it might be a great spot for using a drone - shed hunting??

23-Feb-21
That's cheating inshart.. ;)

23-Feb-21
Damn, no wonder I have had such bad deer sightings during my hunst. Those things turned into moles!!!!!

• Sitka Gear