WV Mountaineer 15-Feb-21
Hunts_with_stick 15-Feb-21
aboks 16-Feb-21
SBH 16-Feb-21
SBH 16-Feb-21
SBH 17-Feb-21
Tonybear61 17-Feb-21
15-Feb-21
Looking to buy a bow for a 13 year old. He has shot a couple of deer with a crossbow, but now wants to move to a compound. Any suggestions? is it best to go to a archery shop and have them fit him or go to someplace like cabelas to use up points (and finally get rid of the cc). I love archery hunting, just not a good teacher.... I don't want to go overboard in case he decides it is not for him, but I don't want to go cheap and have him not enjoy it either...

15-Feb-21
Get something with an adjustable mods for draw length. At 13 it will probably be too short each time he goes to the range. They grow like weeds at that age make sure his bow can grow with him. I'd buy from a archery shop if you can't work on it yourself. If you can then get where every you can get for the best price, including used because there are probably a lot of used bows in that market.

15-Feb-21
I am good working on my own bow, so working on a youth one would be no problem. What is the minimum weight, 40 lbs?

15-Feb-21
I would try to make the minimum weight be about what he can pull comfortably now. Then you got room to increase as he gets stronger.

15-Feb-21
Diamond Infinite Edge...draw length is adjustable from 24-31 inches, and draw weight from 5-70 lbs. Something he can grow with ;^)

15-Feb-21
Alot of youth bows have a draw weight adjustment of about 15-60 lbs and a draw length of about 22-30 inches so that bow should last him about 5 years (18yo). Normally I would suggest staying away from Cabelas archery dept however I think this situation would be a good way to burn the CC points and the card. I factored in that you said you can work on the bow. I bought a Matthews complete youth package for my granddaughter 3 years ago for about $450.

15-Feb-21
There more youth bows on the market now than adult bows it seems. Everyone is making one. Most can adjust from 18-28" and from 20-60 pounds. They are all pretty much using the same patent. Might need a bow press to adjust some of the string positions.

15-Feb-21
What JohnMC said and you might have a look at Diamond's Infinite Edge that meets the options he states. Bought one for my granddaughter that worked out great. As you may be aware, others also make bows for youth with that adjustability which I would highly recommend for your situation. Good luck with whatever you do.......... Badbull

15-Feb-21
My 11 year has a Diamond infinite edge. Really impressed so far after looking at the other options for the price point. I set it up with a tight spot, sport Hogg site and a whisker biscuit. He is shooting a Scott youth release. Figure when he wants to upgrade again, with any accessories or a bow he can come up with the money. This one should last him until he is tired of it.

15-Feb-21
What x-man said, tons of youth options now with practically unlimited adjustability and they are extremely user friendly to work on. Take the boy down to Cabela's and burn those points on something he likes. Teach him how to make the adjustments to it, etc. Enjoy your time together!

15-Feb-21
Elite Ember for my 8YO. So far so good. It should last him a while.

15-Feb-21
I’ll 3rd the Infinite Edge. Really nice bow and you won’t have to buy a new one in no time since he’s growing like a weed.

15-Feb-21
Thanks guys, looking at he diamond infinite and the Mathews

15-Feb-21
Another vote for the diamond infinite edge

15-Feb-21
Look at Quest's CENTEK NXT, large range of adjustments for both draw weight and length.

Made to specs that closely model a Prime bow at a more budget friendly price.

15-Feb-21
Once you decide, check Archery Talk Classifieds before buying (Sorry, Pat) ;^) . A lot of kids that just "grew up quickly", want to unload these type of bows, with low mileage on them, to buy the "latest and greatest".

Some good deals to be made on there...since it's not just "hunters" over there, but also "shooters", they usually have a lot of bows for sale.

15-Feb-21
Mission or Bear bow with adjustable weight and draw length.

15-Feb-21
^^^^This^^^^.

They’ll all work. Just get him one that’ll grow with him.

15-Feb-21
Thanks elk to, great advice

16-Feb-21
Something else to consider is weight. Have your son shoot each of them for a while, and ask him to hold the bow arm extended out at full length and see how much it moves with each bow. My son, 14 years old, average build, had a hard time with the Infinite edge for a while. The bow weighs as much as every other ADULT bow, because its an adult bow that can be adjusted down to lower draw weights and shorter draw lengths. If he cant hold the bow steady, he'll never group and become frustrated, wont enjoy it and wont want to shoot. Game over. Its similar to asking you to walk around the woods with an 8lb bow. Doing it again, I would buy him what he can shoot and enjoy now and deal with him growing into another bow as it happens. My kid still shoots and loves it, he just switched to trad instead and is now building his own bows.

16-Feb-21

SBH's embedded Photo
SBH's embedded Photo
My boys have all Shot the mission craze. Been great bows for them. They’ve killed bear, deer, elk and turkeys with them. Super adjustable and go up to 70lbs. Smitty killed his first bull this year at 55lbs, 12 years old. They work.

16-Feb-21

SBH's embedded Photo
SBH's embedded Photo
Better pic of the bow

17-Feb-21

17-Feb-21
My son shot a Misson for years, my daughter shoots a Parker Sidekick.

If you are not hung up on compounds give recurves a try. My son started at 11 with a Bear Cub 32#, moved up to a 42#, then a 50# Samick which is what he shoots now... at 17.

• Sitka Gear