altitude sick 18-Feb-21
altitude sick 18-Feb-21
craigmcalvey 18-Feb-21
TD 18-Feb-21
John in MO / KY 18-Feb-21
SaddleReaper 18-Feb-21
WVFarrier 18-Feb-21
17-Feb-21
Has anyone tried both the ASAT Leafy Suit and the First Lite Phantom? The ASAT set is a hat, pants, and shirt for about $155. The First Lite kit doesn't have pants, and runs $120 for the hat and shirt. Anyone have an an opinion that one is better than the other?

17-Feb-21
I have the FL Phantom shirt. My favorite thing about it is that it is light and not as hot during our early season as some others I’ve tried. I’m tall/skinny and their medium tops usually fit me pretty well, but I wish the sleeves were a little longer on this. I can’t speak to the ASAT as I’ve never used it.

17-Feb-21
I disliked the ASAT leafy suit. In fact I didn’t like anything about it. Seems noisy, shiny, and I found it somewhat distracting when I shot my bow. I guess it fit ok but not for me in any way.

Craig

17-Feb-21
I’ve had the ASAT leafy suit for over 20years. You need to wash them about 10 or more times and there really quiet. IMO they are worth it. I’ve had animals look right past me at less than 10yds and I was in an open field in the sun. Also when sitting in a bare tree they never seem to spot you. I usually only use the top. I’ve never had an issue shooting my bow with it. IMO best all around camo.

17-Feb-21

paul@thefort's embedded Photo
used the asat with good success. I trimmed the "leaves" from the inside of the bow arm to avoid contact with the bow string. I use the tops while deer and elk hunting. Light weight and not hot at all, fits over other cloths or on hot day, just go nude under it:).

17-Feb-21
On an Alaskan Grizzly bear bowhunt, it took my guide an hour to find me with his binoculars....the ASAT leafy wear worked that well. I have not ever tried the First Lite Phantom. It's almost twenty years old now....starting to fade rather significantly. Might have to recolor it with a sharpy.

17-Feb-21
ASAT pattern amazing. As indicated above, wash then tumble dry low/no heat with a tennis shoe and the leaves will soften right up and be silent. Trim leaves from bow arm and chest as necessary to avoid any string contact. IMO the ASAT pants are not the greatest - just baggy elastic waist and low crotch generic fit. I rarely if ever wear the leafy pants. It's really your top that is more exposed because legs are often behind brush/vegetation or if kneeling or sitting a moot point.

I have no experience with the FL but at first glance the break-up pattern of ASAT appears much better.

I do believe one real benefit of ANY leafy system is it not only breaks up your outline but creates a multitude of shadows which further breaks you up. Plus the "leaves" move in the breeze to match natural leaves around you and help you blend in.

All that said I've pretty much exclusively moved to only Sitka as I've had tremendous success with the Optifade camo pattern blending in and their quality of fabrics is such that I'd be wearing Sitka underneath a leafy anyway.

17-Feb-21
ASAT leafy fan here. The only negative I found is the pants were enormous relative to the jacket sizing so I sold the pants. As Paul mentioned, a little pruning of the sleeve leaves to ensure string clearance.

17-Feb-21
I've used my ASAT leafy suit for 15-20yrs and it's great. Though it's got some permanent blood stains... and some holes too.

What I love, is that you can wear whatever under it. You could wear rain gear, light weight hiking pants/shirt, mid weight stuff etc... It really works well given you can wear it over whatever - so from 80 to as cold as you can stand, it can work, based on what you wear under it.

17-Feb-21
I've a friend that used the ASAT leafy suit. He was sitting within sight, on the ground, as I was in a tree. I could not pick him out at 70 to 80 yards, unless he moved. When he sat still, he disappeared again!

17-Feb-21
I can't say that I've used both , I have the ASAT , therefore no need to try others.

17-Feb-21
I shoot with the First Lite head covering and jacket. No complaints .

17-Feb-21
Just another option. I bought the 2xl quickcamo leafy suit about two weeks ago. I'm 6'3" and about 230lbs. It fit perfect for going over my clothes and you got a hat, jacket and pants for 85 bucks. Seems quiet and pretty durable. I got it for turkey hunting more then anything.

17-Feb-21
ASAT in my opinion is the very best camo pattern out their.. just wish they had better materials in their clothing

17-Feb-21
Hondolane, check out say one camo, Gary makes great clothes and has ASAT, you won't be sorry.

18-Feb-21
*Day One Camo

18-Feb-21

18-Feb-21

altitude sick's embedded Photo
Timely post

I just made a gillie hood. But a jacket would be way too hot.

So I’m researching on which leafy suit to buy.

If anyone has one they don’t use and want to sell please send me a PM

18-Feb-21

18-Feb-21
Totally agree on both the ASAT pattern and day one. I have a couple of Gary’s items and it’s top notch stuff

18-Feb-21
ASAT leafy. I consider it among my essential gear. No matter the weather the mesh works well over whatever you want to wear under it and whatever you wear under it can be pretty much any color or camo you want. I've even worn white cotton t-shirts in a pinch and it worked. IMO no better camo made that literally works everywhere and any condition. I wear it every hunt, every day. Dries super fast and a good shake clears off most dirt and crap. Good to go.

Wish they still sold them piece by piece as I have no use for the pants. They snag on everything when walking and are loud, although I guess I never wore them long enough to break em in. I do have a way to cut them up and using old arrow shafts and stainless rods make some pretty cool ground blinds out of them that are easy to stash in a pack. I don't use the "hood" either but the 3/4 mask is essential gear for me too. Wear it down around my neck most times, pull it up into place when getting serious.

What Paul said, trim the leaves on the inside of your bow arm. What Smarba said, you have to break them in. Over time the zipper gives out (never get that cheap leafy Bass/Walmart crap with snaps. They clank on everything....all the time.) I've upgraded and replace them with a good YKK nylon a size or two larger than stock, off hand forget what size I used. The mask I run a bit of light copper wire around the eye cutout hem sides and over the nose so it form fits and cut a slot in the mouth to drink though.

Smarba knows how long (and how much) I've used them. Bet he was looking at his watch wondering how long it would take me to get here.... heheheheh. Finally on my last jacket and mask now Carl..... likely get me through this year, but maybe thinking of new ones in an year or two....

18-Feb-21
Thanks everybody! Paul at the Fort, that bow mounted decoy and ASAT leafy suit combo looks deadly!

18-Feb-21
I find the fit of the ASAT leafy top and bottom to be unnecessarily baggy, obviously designed to go over garments, but they could have made it less so and been fine IMO.

Other than that.... I've had turkeys within a few yards of me on multiple occasions and they are clueless. One time in a rush to set up on a quickly approaching gobbler, I laid back against a "dirt clump" just as the gobbler appeared and stormed up to my decoys which were maybe 10 yards away... no real back cover and nothing between me and him. Dead.

On another occasion I was sitting next to a buddy in stand of maples, noticed my legs disappeared perfectly amongst the dead leaves, and joked that I felt like lieutenant Dan. ASAT camo really is THAT effective.

18-Feb-21
Ive been using my ASAT for about 5 years now and will not part with it. Quite literally works exactly as advertised.

• Sitka Gear