Kurt 27-Feb-21
Buglmin 27-Feb-21
Rickm 27-Feb-21
Whocares 27-Feb-21
Pop-r 28-Feb-21
Pop-r 07-Mar-21
Missouribreaks 08-Mar-21
19-Feb-21
Anyone know of an outfitter that offers a guaranteed kill on 380"+ bulls? A stay til you kill type deal. If we don't get it done this year we go next. (Most likely landowner tags) I understand the difficulty of this and the cost of which will be high. Thanks.

19-Feb-21
Game farm or governor’s tag

19-Feb-21
Closest you could probably come to a "guarantee" for a 380+ free-range archery bull would be to buy the AZ governor's tag. It's a 365-day license. It's already sold for this year though, @ 221,000.

19-Feb-21
Nope. Now I'm curious why you would want to go on a hunt like this.

If the number is more important than the hunt you can always buy a piece of livestock that has 400" or even 500" of antler.

19-Feb-21
San Carlos hunts usually produce bulls of this caliber. It's free range fair chase.

19-Feb-21
Lol. It's just a thought. Can't take it with you.

19-Feb-21
Gross or Net? 8^)

19-Feb-21
So, have you already arrowed a bunch of 350-380 class bulls, and just looking for a bigger one now?

19-Feb-21
Gross would suffice.

19-Feb-21
I wish. I've never hunted anything other than public ground other than a time or two where I've gained permission on private. Never shot a bull over 300" and never seen one over 350" I don't believe. I'd just like to kill one.

19-Feb-21
I'd say try for 2 - 190's on OTC. Be more fun.

19-Feb-21
A reservation hunt in AZ?

19-Feb-21
It's funny, when you talk to outfitters and booking agents, everyone wants to shoot a 350 bull. It's all about the 350 bulls, but a soon as a 280" 6pt gets in range, the arrows start flying.

I would rather shoot a 280" bull on a do it yourself hunt than a world record on a guided hunt. When you start thinking you are paying for the animal and not for the experience you will have a lessor experience.

19-Feb-21
+1 Nick, reservation hunts in AZ or landowner tags in NM might be two of the better options to chase a dream like this.

19-Feb-21
The Apache Nation on the Jic or Mescalero in NM if you want to drop some $$$

19-Feb-21
Why only 380?

19-Feb-21
U can buy a lot of great Nevada landowner tags for 221k. Look at kill photos from dan evans

19-Feb-21
JSW - I’ve had similar thoughts with regards to whitetails, that I’d rather shoot a 100” on public than a 150” on private. Then I hunt public for a couple weeks and after all people pressure, I quickly reassess the situation and head back to the private land.

Everyone has different ideas of an ideal hunt and while I prefer a DIY elk hunt, others really enjoy going guided for the experience. I don’t have an issue either way - get outdoors and figure out what you like best and go do it.

19-Feb-21

Bowboy's Link
Go hunt the Deseret Ranch in UT.

19-Feb-21
I don't understand why anyone would knock this thread. If this is what the thread owner wants and he has the money to do it, then more power to him. Think of the income that this person will provide to the outfitter/hand/cook/airline/car rental/town/hotel ext...

If this is your dream, then by all power go for it!

19-Feb-21
Jealousy is rampant on bowsite. It's also funny how Jim is dogging guided hunts while he offers guided mule deer and oryx hunts???

19-Feb-21
Buy the AZ governor tag, then hire one of the armies to find the bull and protect it until you arrive. Then it's up to you to close the deal.

19-Feb-21
I spend 60+ days a year elk hunting & have for many years. I have never been on an outfitted/guided hunt. I however want to kill a free range 380" bull with bow and I'm just looking at my options. Thanks for the replies.

19-Feb-21
If I had the scratch I would look at White Mountain Apache Tribe, Maverick Camp for sure! Hualapai Tribe also has some hunts and big bulls.

19-Feb-21
if you have spent 60 plus days a year hunting elk for many years and have not killed anything over 300 i would say you have no chance at killing a 380 fair chase.

19-Feb-21
If you hunt where 380 bulls live you always have a chance! (Hunting CO OTC it's pretty tough to find one.) I bet the OP would have a great hunt where there are BIG bulls around....like on the the Reservations in AZ or some of the big private ranches. Good luck to him!

19-Feb-21
Just my opinion of course, but there are many options available for large bulls (over 350) that would provide a good experience, without putting the pressure of 380 or bust. Without shooting anything over 300, a bull even at the 350 level is going to seem a major task. but what ever you decide, have fun with it.

19-Feb-21
As others have said, the White Mountain or San Carlos Apache are top picks. There are probably a few other Reservation hunts that would give you a chance.

A Governor’s tag in Arizona, Utah, or Nevada would give you a chance. There is one big private ranch in a unit that is not too tough to draw in Arizona that would be interesting. Maybe a unit specific tag in the San Juan, Beaver or Plateau units in Utah if you can win one in a raffle or buy one. There are also a couple of big ranches in Wyoming that could be a possibility.

Even in the best of units, reservations or ranches, 380 + bulls are rare.

19-Feb-21
This thread has piqued my curiosity as to: how rare is an archery-killed American Elk that exceeds 380 scoring inches?

Looking at the P&Y records database, in the past 20 years there were 97 bulls recorded at that score or higher. From of a total of 6082 record-book bulls in that same time period. So an average of less than 5 recorded each year. A very low number for so ubiquitous a species. Only 3 guys have recorded more than one in that time period as best I could tell (Adams, Ulmer, Evans with two apiece).

Interesting also to check on where these animals were taken:

Montana 27

Arizona 24

New Mexico 11

Nevada 10

Utah 9

Idaho 5

Wyoming 4

Colorado 3

Alberta 2

Washington 1

Oregon 0

I doubt most people would've guessed Montana to be at the top of the list.

With only Montana & Arizona producing more than 1 per year, I'd say they're not quite as rare as Hen's Teeth, but close.

19-Feb-21
Look around, there are some outfitters that that offer better chances at larger Elk for a price. There is no outfitter will guarantee a "380" free range bull. I will PM you a location in Colorado that offers a 5 star hunts and use to have minimum elk that was quite high. The cost will reflect the quality of the hunt and the accommodations. I have never hunted the ranch.

19-Feb-21
The hunts he offers are not guided. And jealous is the last word I would use to describe him. Agreed- 380 bulls are very rare. Good moisture years in the Southwest sure help

19-Feb-21
Nobody will guarantee you a 380 bull on public land.

19-Feb-21
I would look into SE Montana. Easy draw for archery and if a guy has the money to hunt private there are big big bulls there.

Sticksender am I correct to assume the numbers you are getting are from net scores since they are from the P&Y?

19-Feb-21
If money is not an option, there are three reservations in AZ I would try and get on their list to hunt. White Mountain Apache, San Carlos, Hualapai. Latest price tag for WMA is in the $25k-30K price range. I believe then other two are similar.

I measure many, if not most, of the upper end bulls taken from the White Mountain Apache Rez here in AZ, as the trophy owners generally leave them at the local taxidermist to get mounted and measured. I also live about 8 miles from their reservation. In the last two years I’ve measured 14 bulls over 380” net.....6 over 400”......the best a 454” giant non-typical. However, these were rifle kills and entered into B&C. Only one was an archery kill. But it does show that they exist there.

In the last few years, for some reason, WMA Rez seems to be producing higher scoring bulls than San Carlos.....not sure why. Just know, all have a waiting list to hunt there.....even at those extreme prices. Good luck, as a true 380” bull is an anomaly on public land, IMO.

19-Feb-21
Not free range, but if you get in on one of the early hunts at Chama, you would have a shot and doesn't cost $25k. They don't guarantee it, but they have them that big and great guides.

19-Feb-21
hmmm... funny, I don't see any Nebraska bulls on your list sticksender, yet there's probably been at least 10 in the last 10 years. of course you need to be a resident to hunt elk in NE...

19-Feb-21
I think i'd give A3 a call. He may not guarantee you a 380" but probably close. He has some nice land owner tags where he could probably get you on one.

19-Feb-21
I would say no on the Jicarilla for elk. The huge bulls from there are in a high fence zone. I have neighboring land and there are some nice elk but not huge elk. There are rumors that they are bringing-in big bulls to breed in the free-range area to improve the genetics but again, rumors. Now mule deer on the Jic, now we're talking...

AZ tribal land is clearly the best option, as has been mentioned numerous times.

19-Feb-21
No public land stipulations. That would definitely be near impossible to provide what I'm wanting I figure.

19-Feb-21
Tejon Ranch. In Southern CA of all places. Get it done in a weekend. Free range. Wild elk. Get ready to write a BIG fat check.

19-Feb-21
I didn't see any comments reflecting jealousy. Lots of guys on here have the scratch to hunt anywhere they want in the world for any critter. Most of the comments were really honest & taking a free range 380 net or gross elk is a hard mark to check off the bucket list. The governor tags in a couple states would give a guy the best chance but those & adding in the guides to find a bull like that takes a serious commitment to spending plenty. A Nevada landowner tag & the right guide on a wet year might give you a chance but no guarantee. The Arizona reservations would give you a chance but good luck asking for your money back if your bull scores 379. I would look at Nevada or a really good landowner tag in New Mexico & hire the best Outfitter available & enjoy the hunt with my fingers crossed. Good Luck & smile in the photos.

19-Feb-21
In 1999 I hunted unit 13 in New Mexico which borders on the Acoma-Pueblo Reservation. I got to know one of the tribal members of the reservation and he showed me a few pics of 400"+ bulls that were killed on the res. I believe they sold tags at that time. One of my buddies also found a 190" 6 point shed while we were hunting on public land not far from the reservation boundary. If the other side matched that bull would have probably been a world record typical at the time. Might be worth looking into...

20-Feb-21
There are Conservation tags and some Landowner tags available in Utah.

San Juan, Beaver, Boulder, Diamond Mnt, ect and of course the Summit Point & Deseret CWMU's that you could book to hunt.

Good luck, Robb

20-Feb-21
You could always start accumulating points for one of Colorado's NW trophy units. It should only take about 40 years to draw. And by that time, a 300" bull will be considered a trophy.

Seriously, though, I think you may be setting an unrealistic goal. As Sticksender pointed out with the P&Y records, 380" bulls with a bow and arrow are about as common as the Hope Diamond. I hunted one of the NW units I mentioned above last year. Between scouting and hunting, I spent over 2 months looking for elk in that unit. I can honestly say, I think I saw only one bull that would push 380", but that was from a longs ways away, so who knows.

Matt

20-Feb-21
Forgot about that one SDHNTR! For sure! Giant bull elk not too far from LA!

20-Feb-21
I can think of 3 places in MT that would offer the potential for that kind of bull. Can't imagine anyone giving you a guarantee on it though.

20-Feb-21
Orion, I am not offering guided hunts for mule deer and oryx. I'm offering a place to hunt, on private land, where people can go out on there own and have a great experience.

I will apologize for sounding critical of guys who take guided hunts. I've taken several myself and had a couple of great hunts. What I was trying to relay is the experience itself is worth way more than the kill. None of the guided hunts I've gone on would make my top ten list of great hunts.

"The satisfaction experienced is proportional to the effort required."

20-Feb-21

Treeline's Link
This is a pretty bold statement:

"Hunters have averaged a gross Boone and Crockett score over 380” for the past 5 years."

I would be scared to even call and ask what the price of admission was, though!

20-Feb-21
It says up to $25k

20-Feb-21
‘Bout $25k Treeline! Last I saw it was $22.5 and that was a couple years back. I’d imagine it’s gone up from there since. Their claim is legitimate. Mostly rifle kills of course, but there have been plenty of archery bulls too. Rogan killed a giant with a bow there recently. It’s on YT somewhere.

20-Feb-21
You could say that's "cheap" compared to some of the trophy Tule Elk hunts in Cali.

20-Feb-21
Apples to oranges. Tejon bulls are Rocky Mountain elk. Tule elk only live in California exclusively and unless you draw a very rare tag, you will be hunting them on private land with the equivalent of a landowner tag, if you want to kill one. Which is why they command such a high price. Big Rocky Mtn bulls on the other hand, can be found in a multitude of places and public tags can be more “easily” drawn.

20-Feb-21

Missouribreaks's Link
I am sure there are no guarantees, I would contact Jack Atcheson, Jr.

20-Feb-21

20-Feb-21
Apples to oranges. Tejon bulls are Rocky Mountain elk. Tule elk only live in California exclusively and unless you draw a very rare tag, you will be hunting them on private land with the equivalent of a landowner tag, if you want to kill one. Which is why they command such a high price. Big Rocky Mtn bulls on the other hand, can be found in a multitude of places and public tags can be more “easily” drawn.

20-Feb-21

20-Feb-21
I saw what I thought was a 380 bull last year in my unit. There was one killed a few years ago in my unit. We sure enough can keep hunting as long as it takes.....but a grantee shot opportunity on free range is illegal to offer I believe.

20-Feb-21
My buddy killed a 380 Bull with archery in Unit 10 Colorado the same year we hunted Unit 2, think it was 2015. A Muzzleloader shot his target Bull that was much bigger and officially scored.

Not all folks enter their animals.

21-Feb-21
Stick: looks like Cali didn’t even make the list. Are the rocky mountain elk in Cali transplants (not native) and therefore not considered game animals? If not, they may not be able to be entered. In Texas, they kill some whoppers in west Texas that are free range, they they can’t be entered in P&Y or B&C because they are not considered game animals

21-Feb-21
Stick: looks like Cali didn’t even make the list. Are the rocky mountain elk in Cali transplants (not native) and therefore not considered game animals? If not, they may not be able to be entered. In Texas, they kill some whoppers in west Texas that are free range, they they can’t be entered in P&Y or B&C because they are not considered game animals

21-Feb-21
The elk on Tejon are wild-free range and eligible for B&C/P&Y records program.

21-Feb-21

Whocares's embedded Photo
One guess where from and score?

21-Feb-21
Judging by the short 3rds and lack of mass, I’ll say Colorado. ;) nice bull

21-Feb-21

Another angle as I rock my 9 month old grandson to sleep while watching elk hunting on tv.

21-Feb-21

This guy getting more of my attention than the elk. Not sure which of us will rock to sleep first!

21-Feb-21
Chuck 347" Wyoming

21-Feb-21
I’m gonna guess Minnesota and 355”.

21-Feb-21

Here's a frontal.

21-Feb-21

wytex's embedded Photo
wytex's embedded Photo
Let's look at him this way.

21-Feb-21
Humm, just found the image tools button. Easy to rotate your pics with edit function.

21-Feb-21
thanks!

21-Feb-21
where do you find the image button??

21-Feb-21
345" net, great bull!

22-Feb-21
Chuck, just go into your Edit link to the right of your handle, click on it and scroll down to edit image and go from there......

Dang nice Bull and thanks for spinning it PB.

Good luck, Robb

22-Feb-21
I don' know. But if I had that kind of money, I'd go arrow me one of those huge Red Stags instead of an elk, in NZ and watch them take it away with a helicopter!

22-Feb-21
Robb, the only place I find an edit link is after my handle on the ones that are text only. The ones where I have submitted a photo don't show an edit link. I am just not clever with this stuff!

22-Feb-21

jcneng's embedded Photo
jcneng's embedded Photo
Didn't quite make the cut, archery bull 2012, 377 6/8" gross

22-Feb-21
If you want a “guarantee” on a 380”+ bull you will be hunting in a high fence pen and spending major dollars. No one offering fair chase hunts can guarantee you any elk.

22-Feb-21

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
MathewsMan's embedded Photo
I tried getting my buddy to officially get his Colorado Archery Bull entered as it would place in the top 5 but he has no interest.

22-Feb-21
The bull I posted was 393 from Colorado back in 2012. A lot heavier than shows in the pics. It's actually a set of sheds given to me by a ranch owner that used to do some high fence hunts. He was getting $20,000 and $25,000 for bulls 400 plus. This poor guy didn't make the cut that year I guess. But I got a large cape a taxidermist had and had him do the mount cuz I thought it was pretty neat. Have never claimed to anybody to have shot it! If they want to drool and think that for a few minutes I may let them! Don't believe I've ever seen one quite this nice in all my years of elk hunting. So, the OP looking for a guaranteed over 380 bull, high fence, high bucks is probably it, as Ollie posted above.

22-Feb-21
I thought it was much bigger than most guessed. I didn't see its relevance if it wasn't for sure so I just had a hunch as well. Very nice bull! Shame he was a "cull" lol. I contacted the Tejon and they are booked out probably forever at a current price of $50k for their "trophy elk hunt." Would be near impossible to get in because of repeat clients who desire & can afford to kill bulls like this every year.

22-Feb-21
WMA is cheaper than that......and better bulls, IMO.

22-Feb-21
Have yet to hear anything back from the 3 you mentioned. Thanks for the leads.

24-Feb-21
Depending on your in state point status...or not....MT private land near the breaks...genetics and age class is there. White mountain in AZ, possibly the Mescalero in NM, John/Jack Diamond/Beaverhead in NM

24-Feb-21
I’ll chime in on the reservation hunts. I’ve done 2. Supai and White Mountain Apache. I was invited to be a replacement on both as one had cancelled because it was a drought year and the other I don’t know why. But I filled the spots of gazillionaires. Anyway, had it not been for my wife’s godfather who is a big $ hunter and a regular tag holder I would’ve never gotten in. On the Supai hunt it was tough, never saw a bull over the 348” bull I took and I was happy to have taken it, it was the last day. On the WMAT hunt I never saw a bull over 360 until I killed my elk. It gross scored 386”. It was on the last day and although I killed the bull with my bow I would have shot it with a rifle had I had one. So expensive and a bummer to come home empty handed. Bottom line, I couldn’t get in today if I had the money and wanted to because the hunters continue to go year after year, almost reserved until they give it up so getting a shot at a tag is very difficult. I don’t mean to be negative but it’ll be hard to get on the reservation without someone on the inside pulling for you. Oh, and as I said, I saw one bull over 380” the entire 2 weeks of the hunts. Just my experience, which still was amazing I must say (so fun to not have to compete in the field). There is no guaranteed 380” unless you have them chained to a tree. Good luck, truly hope you get one! Jeff

27-Feb-21
whocares, Im guessing your bull to be in the upper 370's to low 380's. Appears to have great mass! I'm guessing Arizona?

27-Feb-21
go up 7 posts...WC posted the score...393"

27-Feb-21
You gotta remember, most of the reservations are closed now to non tribal members. They are currently running on limited staff. They're not sure when they'll open. But look at the bulls Casey Brooks has killed on the white mountain. Look into the Navajo Nation. Yellow Horse outfitters are killing some giant bulls on the Nation right now. It's a sleeper place.

27-Feb-21
This is what it has come too? If you have the funds just go buy a bull.

27-Feb-21
Yah, been that way for some for quite a while. 8 or 9 years ago I was on the ranch that had some high fence "shooting" and I had to go down to the skinning shed to do something. Doug, the high fence guide, the one who made sure they shot the one with the right yellow ear tag they had paid for, was skinning a big bull they had brought in that morning. As he was up to his elbows working, the shooter and his buddy, in nice clean pressed blue jeans, holding drinks, were watching him work. Nice Stetsons on those two Texans, too. They introduced themselves and asked what I thought of the bull. I said it was awesome and congrats. I don't know that they ever touched the bull. Oh, and they left the meat for us. Nice guys. Same year, a guy landed in the yard by helicopter, changed out of his nice clothes to camo and ready to hunt. Got his ass chewed a little by the manager's wife for landing next to the yard where the kids were playing. Went out out and plied his skills and successfully got the bull with the right ear tag. Back to the chopper, changed clothes, and flew away. I would like to hear their stories when their friends are over having a drink and admiring the mount on the wall. Probably a little different than mine and you other Bowsiters, eh Paul?

28-Feb-21
I imagine they make it sound real good! Lol

07-Mar-21
I imagine they make it sound real good! Lol

08-Mar-21
For decades there has been a waiting list for the spotting of book animals. One is spotted, you get the call, pay the price and likely get your name in the record book. This is nothing new and is widely practiced with sheep, moose , bears and private land deer, elk and antelope to name a few.

I do not believe the OP was referring to this type of hunting.

• Sitka Gear