Rut Nut 23-Feb-21
DanaC 23-Feb-21
bowonly 23-Feb-21
StickFlicker 23-Feb-21
txhunter58 24-Feb-21
21-Feb-21

Spiral Horn's embedded Photo
Spiral Horn's embedded Photo
Saw this pics on another forum - sorry if it is a bit rough but that’s what’s happening. Many exotic species that thrive in normal Texas environmental conditions - Axis Deer, Blackbuck, Nilgai, etc, don’t do very well in extended periods of cold weather. This Polar Vortex is causing some huge die offs. Absolute shame!

21-Feb-21
So someone isn't taking care of their livestock and it's dying??

21-Feb-21
Very poor livestock care.

21-Feb-21
Aside from the obvious snark, agree that this is likely a pic of a ranch operation. But that’s not the point. These imported species don’t do well in extended cold and are dying off in record numbers. Certainly there are some folks on this and other sites with hunts scheduled or considering booking, especially with the limited hunting/travel options due to COVID.

There are also numerous operations offering hunts for free-range Texas Exotics. I’ve done those — it’s a blast and much more challenging than most might think. These species are wide awake and it isn’t easy to get into bow range. Even more so when there is a big die off and there are fewer to hunt.

Anyone here know how the cold affects Aoudad. Wild sheep and other mountain game are usually pretty hardy. Overall Aoudad are a pretty tough critter, but being native to North Africa, just don’t know how they do in sustained sub-freezing weather. Anyone know?

21-Feb-21
That’s sad, both that the animals died in such a manner, froze to death. And the lost revenue for the ranchers who make a living selling hunts for exotics. I have not hunted high fence exotics in Texas, and likely won’t ever do so. But I sure do not begrudge the ranchers for raising them and offering hunts, and I don’t begrudge those that want to hunt them.

21-Feb-21
Hate to see that...

21-Feb-21
Spiral, that would be attempted snark, but actually they’re probably just showing their ignorance. Exotics are indeed livestock in the state of Texas, the state manages to not manage them. You can shoot them with any weapon, all year long, even at night. So.....livestock, yes. Wrong ? No ! Easy ? Maybe, but not necessarily. Tasty ? You damn tootin’ !

21-Feb-21
Thanks Don. I used to bowhunt Texas Whitetails a bit as active duty military (from anywhere) could buy a resident hunting license. Post retirement, I’ve also hunted free-ranging exotics via the special 5-day license. It’s true that Texas doesn’t manage their exotic wildlife, including free-ranging Elk, Aoudad, Axis, etc (outside of needing to buy a license to hunt them). Still remember taking my first free-ranging Aoudad Spot and Stalk with a bow. No easy feat.

The whole point of the thread was to update folks on a serious situation in Texas affecting a number of species folks may be interested in hunting or are already booked to hunt. Feel terrible for the animals, ranchers and outfitters struggling to keep going during these trying times, and hunters with fewer options than ever.

Does anyone know how Aoudad fare in sustained sub-freezing conditions? If they are, get ready for prices to shoot through the roof. They are a blast to hunt and the big rams make a spectacular trophy.

21-Feb-21

21-Feb-21
The Texas dalls are better equipped to endure though right

22-Feb-21
The city here in Wisconsin used to have a pair of Aoudad in a fenced in area of their city park. They survived many winters outside, they had a 3 sided unheated enclosure to go in if they cared.

Snow and -10F didn't do them any harm. Winters here are 4-5 months long. Dont think a short cold snap would do them Texas Aoudads any harm.

22-Feb-21
Not trying to be a smart@$$, but maybe it's God's/Nature's way of getting rid of "exotics" that were never meant to be there in the first place? Just something to ponder..................

22-Feb-21
Amen RutNut. Texas is a disaster!

22-Feb-21
Aoudads will be just fine. They are tough.

The last time Texas had a cold snap close to this was back in the 80’s. This is a much harder and longer deep freeze than that one in the 80’s. It is killing livestock and wildlife, including whitetails and exotics.

This has been brutal on a lot of people’s livelihoods. You guys snarking on people in Texas that are suffering through a major disaster is pretty lame.

Exotic animals have a long history in Texas. Over 100 years. Texas has actually brought back many species that were killed off in their native lands and has higher populations of a number of big game species than on their native lands.

Some high fence operations but mostly free range in Texas. Some small high fence operations are not hunting at all - just put and take or pick your “trophy”. Some of the larger high fence operations can be as much of a hunt as anywhere.

22-Feb-21
It is very sad what is going on in Texas with so much human suffering. That is a separate issue.

I know Texas has a long history of exotics................................................there was a long history of slavery in the south too! ;-)

22-Feb-21
Rut Nut

Comparing Texas Exotics to Slavery absolutely may be the dumbest and most bizarre post ever on the bowsite !

Funny as heck and terribly pathetic at the same time

You may need a rabies shot

22-Feb-21
I don’t think anyone has ever been able to say a Nilgai is an easy hunt.

Here in Michigan we have transplanted Fish, Turkeys, Elk, Moose. So Texas isn’t alone.

22-Feb-21

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
I have no idea what Bake is talking about.

22-Feb-21
I like pheasant hunting and reeling in a nice Brown or Rainbow so I won't be throwing stones.

Unusual weather catches people off guard in every climate.

22-Feb-21
Well, at least Scoot got my point.................

22-Feb-21
Rut Nut, how do you feel about brown trout in NA? Steelhead, coho and Chinook salmon in the Great Lakes? Rainbows east of the Con. divide? Brookies in Montana? Caadian Wolves in Colorado? I am not being a smart ass, I really want to know your opinion? Becuase I have mixed feelings about all of that, inc. exotics in TX. In some cases not a problem.. But never the BEST situation. As for slavery, well, Not a fan in ANY situatio, anywhere.

22-Feb-21
Glunt, We think alike..

22-Feb-21
Well, I guess it sounds like I might have a big problem with exotics in Texas......................when in reality I have no dog in this fight. Never lived in Tx and don;t plan on going there to hunt.

My comments were just something that occured to me ....................................I don;t have strong feelings either way.

As for the trout- yes, they are non-natives but seem to be doing quite well in PA. Now if they started dying off in huge numbers due to a climactic anomaly, I might think of them on the same level as exotics in Texas! ; )

22-Feb-21
One of my favorite quotes from Ron White is "The next time you have a thought......let it go"

22-Feb-21
Some species are near extinction in there native range in other parts of world but are thriving in Texas....:: the Adaxx antelope is one such species.

Long live the lone star nation of Texas! Ooh! Sorry that was another time .

22-Feb-21
Maybe the exotics should have gone to Cancun for the cold spell.

22-Feb-21
Scoot. Thanks. I got the long time slavery not right. Not sure how that relates to exotic or rather non native animals.

Someone here is probably smart enough to enlighten me on what is wrong with non native animals on private property

I liked trapper kayaks list

I guess one could add pheasants to the

22-Feb-21
Scoot. Thanks. I got the long time slavery not right. Not sure how that relates to exotic or rather non native animals.

Someone here is probably smart enough to enlighten me on what is wrong with non native animals on private property

I liked trapper kayaks list

I guess one could add pheasants to the

22-Feb-21
I guess God didn’t figure on all that collateral damage when he was killing those exotics huh ? To misquote Forest Gump, “Stupid is as stupid posts” You win that prize Rut Nut !

22-Feb-21
Fish, birds, and mammals, is the sentiment the same as far as animal rights are concerned with voters?

22-Feb-21

22-Feb-21

23-Feb-21
I’m sure I wasn’t the only one thinking that..............I was just the first to say it out loud. ;-)

23-Feb-21
Warm-climate critters are evolved for it. Ditto for cold climates. It's why Alberta white-tails are bigger and fatter than Texas white-tails. Introducing non-natives from even warmer places runs a risk if the weather turns. Some Texas whitetails will not survive, but even up north, extreme conditions will kill off the weakest. The hardiest will survive.

23-Feb-21
Add mountain goat in Colorado to the list of introduced exotics. I am willing to assist in their removal in my own small way. Enough so that I will sacrifice my 18 goat points to help out in re-establishing the natural balance.

23-Feb-21
It's my understanding that the Oryx that were introduced in New Mexico often have missing or damaged ears due to frostbite because they weren't built for freezing temperatures. They also have broken horns at a substantially higher rate than do those living in Africa, perhaps also from brittleness caused by freezing temps?

24-Feb-21
The axis I have on my low fence, free range ranch are as wild and hard to hunt as whitetail. And they absolutely taste better. No, they are not true “game animals” but they are fun to see and hunt and eat.

Across the board, humans have introduced non-native species to many areas, for many reasons. And it is tragic what happened to those in Texas. And yes, it was in the 80s the last time a cold spell like this happened. I lived in Corpus Christi then and the Bay was actually freezing. Native Gulf coast fish were dying by the millions and you could just go pick them up on the beach.

A lot of normal natives suffered in this extreme cold spell, both man and beast. Best to keep our eyes on that instead of: guess they got what they deserved. We were without power for a week (many neighbors still are without) and we still don’t have water. But then we are actually introduced animals too, aren’t we?

• Sitka Gear