Realwarrior 24-Feb-21
Tracker 25-Feb-21
grizzly63 25-Feb-21
mn_archer 26-Feb-21
grizzly63 26-Feb-21
RK 26-Feb-21
22-Feb-21

Brotsky's Link
HB 1087 is up for hearing in the S.D. House Committee on Ag and Natural Resources tomorrow. This bill would allow the use of crossbows for any licensed hunter over the age of 60. S.D. already has a law on the books which allows anyone to use a crossbow if deemed medically necessary. A crossbow permit is easily obtainable by anyone with a note from their physician. We also allow the use of crossbows during the any weapon season here. Everyone knows that once crossbows get a foothold in your archery season it is a short and very slippery slope to full inclusion. If you are a S.D. bowhunter or someone who appreciates bowhunting in SD please e-mail the legislators on the ag and NR committee asking them to oppose HB 1087 and to preserve our archery seasons in SD for bowhunters. I have included the e-mail addresses below for ease of copy and pasting. Thanks!

[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

22-Feb-21
How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. It sounds like your laws are already spot on.

22-Feb-21
Wish you all luck, the crossgun folks seem to target a state and campaign until its done. We fought it for many years and lost.

22-Feb-21
This is exactly what they did in MN. We had the same disability laws as well. Now anyone over 60 can use one. I know several people who were gun hunters who now use the xbow in archery season. I'm sure the next bite will be to allow youth to use them, then the push for full inclusion. Death by a thousand cuts.

22-Feb-21
We lost this battle in PA years ago. Now ANYONE can use one in Archery season...............

22-Feb-21
You have the license plate number of the crossbow lobbyist working the aisles up there, Brotsky? Probably the same bastages that are down at our statehouse as we speak, trying to shove similar proposals down our throats, too. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if they were commuting between the two.

22-Feb-21
What is interesting is when crossbows are finally made legal, the vast majority of former bow and arrow hunters flock to them, becomes a family affair.

22-Feb-21
t-roy, the lobbyists are thankfully too busy in Iowa and Montana to worry about us right now. Believe it or not, a Rep that calls himself a "bowhunter" introduced this bill. A friend of his has an injury that does not allow him to draw a bow. That friend obtained a crossbow permit more than 5 years ago and hunted off and on with the CB. Our statute for medical exception requires that you re-new the permit every 5 years or so. His friend was too lazy or too disinterested to call his doctor and ask for a new note to have his crossbow permit extended. The Rep wants to make it as "convenient" as possible for his friend to still "bowhunt" with him so he sponsored this bill to allow all hunters over age 60 to use a crossbow instead of having his buddy pick up the phone and call his doctor (or ask about it at an annual physical or any other time that is convenient). Basically the bill was brought forward by a guy wanting to hunt with his friend who isn't very interested in hunting anymore. All of the other consequences be damned. The Rep gets up in front of the other Reps, who are also his friends (since every one here is in the same party lol), and tells a sob story about how his friend can't hunt with him anymore because the evil game fish and parks makes him jump through all of these horrible hoops and has just made him give up hunting and now they can't cuddle in the woods anymore, etc. Then them all being friends and most of the Reps not caring one way or another all vote yes. Meanwhile a handful of interested and engaged bowhunters are fighting tooth and nail to keep our rights. The other 99% of bowhunters won't lift a finger until it's time to bitch over beers at the bar about the guys with crossbows shooting their deer. :Rant over: :)

22-Feb-21
As Michigan and Wisconsin proved out, most of the other 99% secretly want the scoped crossbow to be legal for all. They will buy them, that is a proven fact.

22-Feb-21
Missouribreaks, bowhunters are a dying breed it seems at times.

22-Feb-21

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Sadly, Ravin doesn’t seem to have any monetary constraints. They will just keep greasing until the dominoes fall. DNR’s don’t make regulations any more.

22-Feb-21
Think NRA is the problem they got it passed in wi.

22-Feb-21
But the NRA did not make bow and arrow hunters drop their weapons and take to the scoped crossbow, that was purely a hunter's choice.

22-Feb-21
Less practice and tinkering required and the whole family can share 1 crossbow. Bad for the future of bowhunting.

22-Feb-21
Good luck, but I think your one of the few midwestern states that haven't already legalized them. I remember when KS and NE added them in, I didn't hear about it until it had already passed. sucks

22-Feb-21
Bow and arrow hunting and the associated culture is on the decline, and the trend will continue. Many hunters merely pose as bowhunters, they are not.

22-Feb-21
If you’all are planning to contact those legislators directly, would seriously recommend taking some time to develop better messages than those posted here. Or you can just go ahead with accusing them of the things already said here - taking bribes, wild stories about the bill’s sponsor, caving to the NRA and special interests, or over-focusing on the needs of disabled and aging sportsman. Reps will likely focus on what they perceive as the overall will unless there is a valid counter argument. Pounding the table and screaming “we don’t agree” is just noise.

22-Feb-21
Best of luck. You’re going to need it. Stopping the crossbow movement is like stopping the hands of time.

22-Feb-21
before you know it the only hunters that will be left hunting with a bow are bowhunters. the others will splinter off and use other tools to fill their freezers and manage the population. separating the wheat from the chaff is what this is.

22-Feb-21
"Bow season"

Some hunt it because of the first word. Many hunt it because of the second word.

22-Feb-21
The bills sponsor is from my district. Last year he fought to keep it out. He assured me in an email that they would not get in. This year he sponsors them. The story of his friend is true. I have put forth some effort to keep this from passing and we darn near shut it down last week but its coming back this week. I have tried to get my local archery club involved to no avail. There will be a lot of local bowhunters that will be surprised by the consequences of this bill passing. One of the members on the committee even told a story of getting a permit and then killing a trophy buck on both sides of the state last year. The herd cannot withstand this kind of pressure and harvest. Expect season reductions. Maybe even draw quotas. I know you guys like those.

22-Feb-21
I’m tellin’ ya....

Limit archery season to Stickbows Only and about 90% of the pressure will evaporate overnight.

“‘ Bow season’ Some hunt it because of the first word. Many hunt it because of the second word.”

Ya THINK???

LOL

I’m not saying that guys who hunt with compounds aren’t “Capital B” Bowhunters... but it does seem to me that if you ARE a Real Bowhunter..... you would hunt the season regardless of what kind of bow is required.... especially if that is what is necessary to keep it from disappearing all together.

23-Feb-21
So, you want to fight something that will get more people supporting hunting? I dont get it. Interest in hunting has been waning for years under the constant onslaught from the anti-hunting groups. Crossbows have caused a renewed interest and provided every state that allows them with new revenue for licenses that may not otherwise be purchased. I do believe that there should be a separate season for them just like firearms. Ok, let the bashing begin

23-Feb-21
If nothing else fight for a crossbow license that separates them from regular archers so accurate numbers can be kept on harvest data. We tried in PA and they refused to hear it. It can be a free license but mandatory to hunt with a crossbow so the agency knows exactly how many hunters are using them. It will help when they go to shorten seasons because of excessive archery kills. At least the excessive part could have been targeted instead of everyone. During our fight in PA I ran into one of our state house reps at my gun club and he proudly showed me the cape buffalo he shot in Africa, with a rifle, and told me the hunt was paid for by Horton Crossbows. He was wearing a Horton hat in the photo! You can't stop it but at least try and control the outcome.

23-Feb-21
It is interesting, according to many on this forum, " lack of places to hunt " is one of the most widely stated reasons hunting is on the decline. If that is true, do we really need more hunters?

23-Feb-21
I also have not seen much to support the fact that crossbows have been a valid hunter recruitment tool. Are there really able bodied people out there who would hunt, if only crossbows were legal for all during archery seasons?

23-Feb-21
Not sure about the lack of places to hunt because I have about the same as I did when I started. Lack of quality hunting areas because of too many people I can believe in. Lack of quality hunting because of having to compete with a superior non archery weapon I can believe in. Lack of quality hunting because of lazy hunting practices by people I can believe in.

23-Feb-21
My state allows crossbows for those 68 and above and those with a doctor’s note. Crossbows are selling like crazy but with a very low deer density they don’t make a big impact in our Northern area. They are very popular with road hunters and those who bait in our 3 week baiting season because of their range. I have a neighbor up the road who kills a deer every year by baiting and shooting out his kitchen window. He went from using a compound to a crossbow and talks about its range. I think that just like compounds, they will be accepted. Very hard to fight easy. Those of us who have a lifetime addiction to trad bows won’t change, even if the season is destroyed by high tech because there is just something about those bows, their challenge, and making wood arrows. It is kind of like golf and the way it consumes people. Every year I look back on the past season and think of the opportunities I blew because of my weapon, and then I look at my longbow with my homemade wood arrows and realize it was worth it, and that doe in the freezer is a trophy. Screw high tech, I will take my longbow and flinter and walk. At 74, I can still put on several miles chasing a deer and walk the ass off guys half my age.

23-Feb-21
Griz that is the best idea I’ve heard.

23-Feb-21
Well if all it takes is money, then where is the NRA, P&Y, and all the other outdoor, Hunter organizations donating to the politicians to keep xbows out? Let's face it, the general public could give a rats behind about the matter. So, politicians should be worried about the hunting community voting against them in future elections, but they aren't. So, it seems that a majority of outdoorsman are for xbows being allowed. Face it guys, xbows are here to stay and in 5 years or so they will be dominate in the woods. Xbows are what compounds were to trad bow, the tide is rolling towards the high tech.

23-Feb-21
As far as fighting against them in SD. I wish you well and all I can say is stay on top of it and watch for behind the scenes foul play. In WI it was voted down substantially. All of a sudden it was passed without knowing about it? Thank you sir, may I have another? As we were all bent over having these things pushed on us.

23-Feb-21
Missouri breaks- don’t lump all wisco bow hunters in your observation. Of all the people in know that bow hunt only one has switched to the crossguns. And my acquaintances have thier kids shooting vertical bows. Sorry I’m not gonna put lipstick on this pig. Anyone with one arm and teeth can shoot a bow. After that let them get a doctor slip to enjoy what they can in the outdoors. Able bodied people are just plain lazy to not shoot bows and to expect bow hunters to bend over and let full inclusion in thier hard fought seasons is a joke

23-Feb-21
Similar bill made it out of the house in MT on a 30-20 vote. My neighbor is a state representative that voted against it. He told me it will likely pass.

23-Feb-21
Good luck, seems that your law is not to different from the law where I am, which seems totally reasonable. Hopefully this doesn't make it.

23-Feb-21
"So, you want to fight something that will get more people supporting hunting? I dont get it. Interest in hunting has been waning for years under the constant onslaught from the anti-hunting groups. Crossbows have caused a renewed interest and provided every state that allows them with new revenue for licenses that may not otherwise be purchased."

That's great. Except it's not true. PA has seen license sales decline from 1.3M in 1982 to 800K in 2020. Even after crossbows were legalized in 2009 license sales continued to drop. Crossbows are not a recruitment tool. Nor is Sunday hunting in PA, or the Saturday buck opener. Why? Because hunting is no longer a priority. If it was, well it would be.

23-Feb-21
There are published numbers for Wisconsin. There are more crossbow hunters than there are bow hunters during the archery seasons, and crossbows occupy a greater percentage every year. In Wisconsin, crossbow use is increasing, while bow and arrow use is in decline.

23-Feb-21
That's great Scoot! Thanks for taking the time to do that rather than just saying "good luck". I have yet to receive a response from any of our reps. Nor has several other SD residents who have sent in comments. I guess I need to move to MN to be acknowledged by my elected reps. :)

23-Feb-21
Personal contact with your elected reps is the best way to slow these things down, along with hiring your own lobbyist that knows how the system works in your state. Emails for out of staters will be disregarded quickly. This issue was fought for years here in our state until the archery community got tired of the issue and the crossbow lobby infiltrated our game and fish department and got their bill passed. Now, anyone can use a crossbow anytime of the season except for the first couple of weeks. 10 years ago, the number of deer that were killed with Xbows was nominal, now that the law has passed a few years ago, the numbers are almost equal to the archery kill total and I expect that trend to continue to what they are in states like OH. Stay strong!!

23-Feb-21
Very simple to ban is 'fingers on the string' for bowhunting, but that would be too simple.

23-Feb-21
IMO the hunting decline has come due to "hunting leases". It's too hard for a new entrant, or impossible to gain access to land. This trickles down each generation. If Dad doesn't hunt, it's much less likely that their offspring will hunt.

It doesn't take a lot of hunters to tie up the available hunting land thru leases. Less land availability gives the illusion there are more hunters, but not the case. This is why we now have less hunter recruitment. If and when we lose our hunting rights, I believe it will be because of leasing. JMHO

23-Feb-21
What helped two times to defeat having the cross bow in the archery seasons was that the CPW staff testified against their use also. Also this xbow issue in Colorado was not an Legislative issue but a CPW/ Commission issue.

Policy Statement , CBA Bowhunting Seasons:

The CBA will promote seasons and season structures that strengthen and enhance the opportunities for bowhunting with the hand held, hand drawn bow and actively oppose seasons and season structures that diminish or degrade those opportunities without evidence of overriding wildlife management goals.

Legal Bowhunting Equipment:

The CBA will develop and promote bowhunting regulations with thresholds that limit hunters to using only the hand held, hand drawn bow and that emphasize archery and bowhunting skills.

Crossbows:

The CBA categorically rejects crossbow technology as being legal archery equipment for use during any archery season in Colorado, and will actively oppose the use of crossbows or implementation of crossbow seasons under any circumstance, where such use will diminish or degrade the bowhunting experience, opportunity and/or quality with the hand held, hand drawn bow.

23-Feb-21
“ Able bodied people are just plain lazy to not shoot bows and to expect bow hunters to bend over and let full inclusion in thier hard fought seasons is a joke”

Just never say that about Compounds, right? Because that would be Elitist.

The whole “hunter recruitment” argument is a crock. If you want to call someone potting a baited deer through the bathroom window a fellow “hunter”, have at it. Most non-hunters I talk to can at least respect that hunting is a natural act and one involving some skill and dedication, as opposed to the equivalent of merely setting out rat traps. So don’t act surprised when they don’t vote in your interests.

23-Feb-21
This is where it’s all going awry. Pay to play legislation taking the place of our game and fish departments. Not sure why we would want to stop hunters from hunting but that’s another topic......

23-Feb-21
trophyhill, legislation/rules/regs don't start or stop people hunting. Desire and ability do. Paul posted a couple posts above me, he is an inspiration to me to always keep moving and doing what you love. If you want to hunt you will find a way to hunt and be involved. If you don't, you won't. That is the bottom line when it comes to hunters being in the field or not.

23-Feb-21
Thank you to everyone who sent e-mails or provided support in opposition of HB 1087. The bill failed to pass out of committee this morning. I don't know the make-up of the actual vote as I was in another meeting and did not have the ability to hear the vote, I just know it failed to pass out of committee. As you guys know, these bills keep coming up and we'll keep fighting them. It may be a losing cause in the end but it's a fight worth fighting.

23-Feb-21
Thanks for the update Brotsky. Glad to see it didn't make it out of committee.

23-Feb-21
I worked in the archery industry for a good while. When crossbow inclusion first started many if us predicted the impact on bowhunting and what it meant for archery shops that rely on service, accessories, range time and leagues.

Aside from just losing people that switch, losing bow shops is a blow to bowhunting. They serve as a local hub for gathering, teaching and promoting bowhunting. All things that help recruit bowhunters.

23-Feb-21
Some local archery clubs will be going by the wayside too. And, the major clubs such as P&Y will not have a bright future without a reinvention. Bow and arrow hunting is declining.

23-Feb-21
A great day for bowhunters in SD!!!!!

23-Feb-21
Congrats Justin!

23-Feb-21
Good news, Justin!

Mb you’re so full of crap your breath stinks! ??

23-Feb-21
Good to hear, Justin! Hopefully we stem the tide here in Iowa, as well.

23-Feb-21
Thanks fellas, we got the win even with dirty pool involved now the more I learn. Rep. Tim Goodwin, who was in favor of this bill and voted to pass, was emailing folks and telling them the bill was dead prior to the hearing. Then this morning in committee, when another hunting Rep on the committee asked to kill the bill after taking time to do some ACTUAL RESEARCH, Rep. Goodwin motioned "Do Pass" on the bill he e-mailed everyone was dead! Still barely managed to fail 6-6 with one no vote. Must gain majority to pass from committee is my understanding. I hope Goodwin catches hell for this.

23-Feb-21
What about the lady that miscounted the votes, it was actually 7-5 opposed. I listened to the voting audio. No one told her she miscounted. We have a governor who seems hell bent on controlling the GFP and she seems to be achieving that. I know a lot of people like her because of the close proximity of her head and Trumps anus but she has some negative side effects as well. IE sheep tag money.

24-Feb-21
"As whitetail states expanded crossbow-hunting the past 15 years, their wildlife agencies conducted studies and reviewed license sales to assess the crossbow’s impacts. Those analyses have thus far found no harmful impacts on deer herds, and most find the crossbow’s effectiveness differs little from compounds when used for hunting."

https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/gear-hunt/crossbows-surge-in-whitetail-country

24-Feb-21
As one can see, it is hunters who want the crossbow inclusion. Most hunters, of all ages, will then lay down their compound for the scoped crossbow. In states where crossbows are legal for all there is a new generation of hunters who have never shot a compound bow, they began hunting with the scoped crossbow. Bow and arrow hunting is declining, while scoped crossbow hunting is on the increase. There are many closet scoped crossbow users posing as bowhunters, they will come out over the next few years. Bow hunting record books and accomplishments are becoming tainted.

24-Feb-21
Thats great Justin. Thanks for the update.

24-Feb-21
I'll drop my letter off on October 1st, when I'm there as a non resident. You didn't have any problem keeping non residents out until October 1st, maybe you'll have the same luck with crossbows.

24-Feb-21
By the time your hear about it, the fix is in.

24-Feb-21
Realwarrior, next on my list is limiting mule deer tags to a draw to protect that diminishing resource for my kids. Make sure you get your letter in for that too on your way to enjoy our unlimited tags while you can.

24-Feb-21
Maybe you should have done that first.

25-Feb-21
I live in a State that allows Xbows hunting and have hunted in several others that allow Xbows. Ohio one which has allowed it since the early 70's. It has not impacted my hunting in the least.

25-Feb-21
While you drop off your letter, check into buying some land here as I believe they passed another law that nonresident landowners are guaranteed tags. A few stipulations go with that but the Interim GFP director assures us that it will only have a minor effect on the tag availability for residents.

26-Feb-21
im all for more opportunity and if someone cant use an actual bow, why not allow them the next best thing?

26-Feb-21
They can already do that. Just need the doctors slip. Have no issues with that what so ever.

26-Feb-21
Glad that worked out Brotsky

• Sitka Gear