Danbow 24-Feb-21
TD 24-Feb-21
tundrajumper 24-Feb-21
BullBuster 24-Feb-21
ryanrc 25-Feb-21
SBH 25-Feb-21
Beav 25-Feb-21
22-Feb-21
Over the last thirty years, I have probably been on about 30 hunts to Alaska or Northern Canada. In all of those hunts, I can count on one hand, the number of times that I have seen a wolverine. I am guessing that I have seen wolves one or two times more often than a wolverine. I was able to tag a wolverine in 1997 (don't know if I would, now....20+ years ago I didn't hesitate), and came within seconds of having one 35-40 yard shot at a wolf. I just wanted to ask other Bowsiters.....if you could have an opportunity at one or the other.....which one would you chose....Wolf or Wolverine? Feel free to share photos if you have taken one or the other....or better yet, both. Please specify if with a bow or with a gun.

22-Feb-21
I shot a wolverine with the guides rifle on a caribou hunt so wolf would be my next if I could choose

22-Feb-21
Leopard. Lol I haven’t shot either. A Wolverine would have the cool factor but I think a wolf would make a better mount. Wolf for me.

22-Feb-21
You have a pic of your wolverine Medicinemann? Cool animals!

22-Feb-21
Considering that I'm just about completely over the want of taxidermy...and the fact I wouldn't eat either of them....I'd probably pass on both. I've watched both of them different times and turned down opportunities to kill them with a rifle. They are fascinating to me...a bigger reward to watch than to kill. Interesting thread!

22-Feb-21

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
Come on Kevin. You need one of these for sneaking up on moose or maybe a pack of wolves to make your wife a full length coat.

22-Feb-21
That pic is flipping hilarious...

NO WAY I could take that shot with a straight face....

22-Feb-21
I've only ever seen 1 wolverine but seen dozens of wolves, killed one.

22-Feb-21
I guided lake trout fishermen in the arctic for 16 seasons on several huge lakes and river sytems. Saw about a dozen wolverines and likely 50+ wolves. No trees blocking the view so you can spot critters a loong way off. My Black Lab actually chased a wolverine once when we stopped for shore lunch. Am glad that critter didnt turn on him and he obeyed my whistle to stop. He chased a lotta bears out of camps in his day but it coulda been all bad

22-Feb-21
I’d be thrilled with either. A Lynx too. I saw a wolf about an hour from where we live and heard several on a caribou hunt in Nunavut. I’ve only seen Wolverines at a game show but the best chance of getting one here in Alaska is probably by trapping it.

22-Feb-21
I wouldn't shoot a wolverine. Have no desire to hunt a wolf but would kill one to remove a fawn/calf killer.

22-Feb-21
And FWIW, I wouldn’t bother a wolverine if he wasn’t bothering me to begin with. Would make a helluva nice hat, though....

22-Feb-21
While I believe every wolf should be killed. If I had the option definitely a Wolverine with my recurve. In my encounters Wolverines are much sharper and sneakier therefore present more of a challenge.

22-Feb-21
I’d like to have a wolverine mount. But, I like ‘em so much I think I’d feel like I shot a family member if I killed one. I think they are the coolest thing since sliced bread.

I like spunk. I like attitude when conditions call for it. I like the willingness to stand up and whoop butt when it’s needed. I respect everything that lives like that. And, the wolverine defines it.

I’d shoot wolves because that’s what needs done. If legal, I’d shoot everyone I ever got a chance too. I respect them, their wit, their ability to survive. I just don’t admire them like I do a wolverine.

22-Feb-21
Wolves are Biden backers so they’re on my hit list.

Wolverines are the baddest critter on earth pound for pound. Don’t even know if I’d like to kill one to be honest. Would be a tough choice given the chance.

22-Feb-21
No real desire to take either, though I’d kill a wolf given the opportunity I guess...a Wolverine I’d pass on every time.

22-Feb-21
I would love to kill a wolf but in the area I guide in AK I have seen exactly 0 wolves in the 10 years I've guided up there. Wolverines on the other hand, I have seen over a dozen. My client (with a pocket full of tags) shot one with me 2 years ago and I had my velvet caribou ruined by one 4 years ago.

22-Feb-21
I could have taken both on my bear hunt but like an idiot did not buy a wolverine tag. I did kill 3 wolves within 5 min though. Called them in and they went to circle out of bow range so my guide gave me a rifle and i killed all 3. These wolves were supposedly part of the pack that killed the teacher the year before.

22-Feb-21
Did I miss that story? LMK if you have a link. I do recall hearing about a woman in Canada who was killed by coyotes, but I don’t recall anything about wolves....

22-Feb-21
There used to be show that would pit various animals against each other (virtually).....like a salt water crocodile versus a great white shark, etc. The match-up that I would like to see would be a wolverine against a honey badger. They are about the same size, similar temperment, and tough as nails. Youtube actually has video of a badger versus a wolverine....pretty much ended as a draw.

22-Feb-21
Link you wouldn’t want to walk around in MT, WY, or Idaho like that!

I’ve killed wolves so I’d say wolverine except for the fact that I’m good on the taxidermy too. I like meat and antlers that’s about it. I quit hunting turkeys and small game because I don’t care to eat them. I live on elk. Wolverines definitely fascinate me though. Imagine if they were as big as a bear. If you saw one you’d run for your life! Everything would even grizzlies! Lol

22-Feb-21
In 1987 I was hunting in Northwestern BC. There was a lot of snow on the ground. We were glassing across the valley at about 12,000, and we spotted a grizzly bear chasing a wolverine. The bear was slowly gaining on the wolverine.....and when he got within about 50 yards of the wolverine, it literally jumped off of a 100 cliff. It landed in deep powder, tumbled a time or two, regained it feet, and kept right on running. The grizzly walked up to the edge of the ledge, looked over the precipice and watched the wolverine run for a ways. He eventually turned and headed up and over the mountain. That wolverine never stopped running. He eventually ran out of the valley and we could no longer see him. Little bastard might still be running for all that I know.....:)

23-Feb-21
Like others, I have no desire to kill either species just for a trophy. I'd kill a wolf if necessary for predator control, just like coyotes, but I wouldn't want to mount it. A wolverine is just too rare and special to kill senselessly, IMO.

Matt

23-Feb-21

BullBuster's embedded Photo
BullBuster's embedded Photo
I’ve killed 2 wolves and I’ll hopefully kill a bunch more. I’ve passed on attempts at wolverines twice. Too cool, rare and stinky.

23-Feb-21
Awesome BullBuster! Give us a few details on your wolf.

23-Feb-21
For a trophy, definitely a wolf. I'm not a huge fan of feline and canine taxidermy most of the time, but Dennis Razza did a dark wolf he showed on here with it's head down in a dominant pose, and I LOVE that mount! I'd love to have one like it.

For the coolness factor, definitely a wolverine.

I've done one hunt up where they might exist in Northern Alberta. Saw wolf tracks every day, but never saw a wolf or heard one.

I'd love to see some more pics on the thread myself !

23-Feb-21

Steve H.'s embedded Photo
Steve H.'s embedded Photo
Mine was a young bitch. (Love saying that....)

23-Feb-21
Here in Ohio we are a bit short on either critter, so if I ever actually get to see them I doubt my first instinct would be to kill them. I'm sure if I lived in a place where they existed , my outlook may be different. Also, the older I get, the less desire I have to kill something that wont make it to the table. That said, Yotes do not get a pass from me.

23-Feb-21
Wolverines - naw, they are just ..... well, the epitome of everything "WILD". I've only ever seen 1 badger - no wolverines. HOWEVER ..... I would kill a wolf any chance given (legally) - nope wouldn't eat it. No desire for any more mounts, other than maybe a wolverine skull and a wolf skull side by side - that would be cool!

23-Feb-21
Tell ya a striking predator that pictures don't do justice - a Badger... I seen two in the wild in my life and both were absolutely beautiful... Given the opportunity, I shoot one for a tanned pelt...

23-Feb-21
This past hunting season, I crossed paths with 5 different wolverines and stalked 2 of them into bow range. One offered a shot and I missed him by an inch! Oh well, try again. We see plenty of wolves and I'll never pass an opportunity to harvest one.

23-Feb-21
Given the opportunity I'd shoot them both.

24-Feb-21
There is a Reinhart Wolverine competition series on camofire you could shoot without feeling bad. 199.00 I'd shoot a wolf.

24-Feb-21
Wolf all the way. Wolf skin coat/jacket is on my bucket list, so from my understanding I'll need at least two, maybe three. Can hardly wait to wear it through an airport somewhere.......

I'd go on a hunt just for wolves..... one of the only things I'd pick up a rifle for. Would take a wolverine as well, but it would be one of those targets of opportunity things.....

WRT mounts..... I think a well done cat mount is at the top of the taxidermy ladder..... but it seems they are also one of the easiest mounts to screw up too.

24-Feb-21
Years ago, when hunting in Wisc. a badger chased me across a bean field. They have a nasty set of teeth.

24-Feb-21
Sorry. Been busy moving. My photographed wolf was on a moose kill. I made a long circuitous stalk on the pack. Luckily wind was causing noise on the adjacent lake. Got to within 40 yards and started to draw on an adult wolf with several puppies when suddenly this guy popped out. I waited until he went broadside and aimed 4” to left because of 20-25 mph perpendicular wind. Perfect hit. Easy blood trail. Should score number 7 SCI if I can ever find a scorer. For my other wolf we called in the whole pack with a rabbit call and I shot one frontal at 11 yards. That was exciting but another story. Cheers

25-Feb-21
I wouldn't shoot a wolverine. Too cool for me to kill. At least that's what I think but maybe it would change in the moment. I would legally shoot any wolf i could, any weapon. If I had a bow and gun with me I would even use the firearm just to make sure i didn't miss. I have had wolves come in on me at baitsites up near Ely MN years back. One year around 2012 I think was the year it was legal to hunt them but in deer season, not September bear season. I had a lone wolf at 10-15 yards while I had a scoped 308 crosshairs on his chest. Wasn't worth the legal trouble so I just imagined pulling the trigger instead.

25-Feb-21
Please don't pass on any wolves! We've killed 3 in MT since the hunt was approved. They aren't easy to come by.

For some reason I'm less interested in wolverine but I would not pass on the opportunity if presented.

25-Feb-21
Some neat stories. I would love to kill a wolf or a wolverine, both would be neat trophies.

• Sitka Gear