Jasper 21-Jul-21
JAW 21-Jul-21
Brotsky 21-Jul-21
Mule Power 21-Jul-21
Korey Wolfe 03-Apr-24
Jasper 03-Apr-24
Sam 03-Apr-24
25-Feb-21
Going to the Brooks Range in late September, guided for 8 days. 2 Bou tags, bear tag and a wolf tag. Other than the standard items, what unusual, not your common, every day items should I take? I’ve put a similar thread here on the Bowsite for 3 destination hunts and have always gotten a suggestion of two that made my hunt better. Thanks and God bless! John

25-Feb-21
Following along since I’ll be in the same area at the same time. Looking forward to it!

25-Feb-21
Ground pad of some kind for sitting on. Glassing, resting, etc. Beats a cold wet rock every time.

25-Feb-21
Wiggy's

25-Feb-21
Bow hunted the Brooks for sheep and bou many times. Greg's pad is an absolute. I would take one long enough to go from your head to past your hips.

Also one of the rather expensive nylon tarps that are about 9x12 or so and weigh less than a pound.

With the above 2 items you can ride out a lot of bad weather.

25-Feb-21
Bring a good battery charging bank like an Anker Power Core or something similar to recharge your phone. IMO, beats the solar chargers any day. Make time to take plenty of pictures and video. You can't take pictures of the travel and Brooks Range after you get back home. That's sounds a bit obvious, but you'll regret not taking enough pictures.

Enjoy your trip and best of luck!

25-Feb-21
A journal. 15-20 years later you’ll love it

26-Feb-21
Wet wipes

26-Feb-21
I did a DIY drop hunt out of Kotzebue the last week in September last fall and it was COLD. Nights were in the teens and we barely broke 32 degrees during the day, plus strong wind. Make sure you have some kind of sleeping pad that provides some insulation. A air-filled pad alone won't cut it. Fortunately, we had sunshine most every day. Precipitation would have been bad. And take a "real" camera for crying out loud. Even a decent point-and-shoot is far better than a cell phone (much better flash for fill or night photos) and you don't have to worry about charging it. Keep it in a pouch on your pack belt so you don't have to dig for it. Take lots of photos and good luck!

26-Feb-21
Insect repellent and a head net. Black flies were bad when we got there in early Sept and it was snowing when we left in mid-Sept.

An InReach for contact with the outside world is nice and adds peace-of-mind for the folks back home.

Both times I moose and caribou hunted in the Brooks we had grizzlies sniff the tent...inches from my head. A shotgun makes you feel a bit better at night and these days I'd add a bear fence. We went DIY and the last trip was about 32 years ago. Good luck!

26-Feb-21
A setup to sit and glass comfortably in the rain. It might rain. Lol

Silnylon tarp, trekking poles, and a Havalon chair.

26-Feb-21
Thanks for the great suggestions guys! I knew you’d come through!! Need more info on pads and tarps but will start another thread...

26-Feb-21
Arrows, lots of arrows!

—Jim

26-Feb-21
Good tent and good sleep system. Extra couple of days food just in case. Puffy coat for glassing which you will do a lot of.

Wiggies are worthless. If you will be crossing water find a better option.

Have fun!

26-Feb-21

Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo

26-Feb-21
Don't bring a Fatbutt cushion. For the same space you can bring a longer pad that can be folded or used full length. More options.

27-Feb-21
So mine goes along with the sitting comfortably. Started using it my last year in Quebec. Eberlestock mainframe. It’s a great meat hauler pack with the advantage of having a backrest anytime you sit down. The solid design of the meat shelf allows it. Coupled with a butt pad you simply have a chair everywhere you go...

27-Feb-21
Part of Thermarest Z-lite sleeping pad is what many of us use for a glassing pad. I use 4 or 5 sections of the pad, each section weighs one ounce. The t section pad is about hip to butt long so is good to have for emergency use to partially lay on too...or the noon nap. I also use it to stand on in the vestibule of the pack tent when getting in or out and the boots are off. And it keeps the pack off the often wet ground at night in the vestibule too. Great piece of gear but not thick enough for a sleeping pad for me. Prefer the Thermarest Neoair for that.

27-Feb-21
Ditto on bug dope and head net no matter what your outfitter says. When a Canadian or Alaskan says, "There won't be any bugs," here's the translation: "Bug density won't be more than 500 per cubic foot." :)

27-Feb-21
One snickers bar per day and hide one beer in the bottom of your pack for a special time. In 1989 Pat and I floated the Colville River on the north side of the Brooks Range.

We were rookies to say the least but learned a lot and met Kurt and Randy in Umiat. Pilot there was a World War 11 pilot with duct tape on his planes wings. I’m sure it’s different 32 years later but wowser what a trip. Good luck. C

27-Feb-21

30-Mar-21
Wet wipes

30-Mar-21
CPA Hunter has recommended wet wipes twice. There must be a story, but I'm afraid to ask. Take his advice and bring some wet wipes.

30-Mar-21
I'm going to be hunting caribou and grizzly's aug 20-29th 2021 in the TOK area. What is needed for bugs? Thermacell?

30-Mar-21
100% deet for bugs even though you will probably be freezing instead. I’ll second the Anker recommendation too. Charges phones, headlamps, garmin Inreach, cameras if you bring one, etc. Wet wipes are cleaner than TP, not moisture sensitive, and double for bath time. Sitting pads are nice luxury. Going guided I’d assume they will have most of the butchering stuff for you but double check first and make sure to have good synthetic game bags along. Have you done a hunt like this before? (Not condescending just curious how basic of suggestions you are asking for).

30-Mar-21
Bring me I can shoot 2 grizzly bears up there

30-Mar-21
Take two headnets. They weigh nothing, and if one disappears you'll remember my advice.

20-Jul-21
Bringing the thread back up as I’m about 2 months out and am starting to lay everything out. I’ve taken most of the previous suggestions so thanks! Yes, I’ve done hunts similar to this, just not Alaska. In the last year I’ve purchased or traded for a Stone Glacier Sky 5900, Sea to Summit 0 degree bag, pad and pillow, a lightweight tarp and ground pad, Chota Hippies, Black Diamond trekking poles, a Glock 20 and F2F harness, battery charger, camera with tripod and Bluetooth remote. I should have most everything else but keep the suggestions coming! Thanks and God bless!

20-Jul-21

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Have fun, you’re in for a treat!

20-Jul-21
Dang it Nick! How am I supposed to sleep after seeing that?

21-Jul-21
Wet wipes and trekking pole(s). Used wet wipes every day. I didn't bring a trekking pole to the Brooks but my buddy did. I ended up borrowing two poles from my guide when packing out my caribou. Poles are especially helpful during pack-out and when encountering tussocks.

21-Jul-21
Got both Wade!

21-Jul-21
Crocs came in handy around camp, too. Lightweight, quick drying, comfortable.

21-Jul-21
Based on Nick's picture, I would say that Treeman's advice is really good. Bring lots of arrows! Good luck on your hunt my friend, can't wait to hear about it!

21-Jul-21
Siltarp to setup with trekking poles so you can still glass/hunt when it rains. It might rain you know. Lol Twice a day even.

03-Apr-24
Very helpful thread. I will be adding a few these items for my upcoming trip.

03-Apr-24
Good luck Korey!!! Where ya headed?

03-Apr-24
If not already mentioned, two (2) pair of boots.

• Sitka Gear