Lawdy 18-Apr-21
Lawdy 18-Apr-21
map1 18-Apr-21
blackwolf 18-Apr-21
BULELK1 19-Apr-21
altitude sick 19-Apr-21
Gileguy 19-Apr-21
16-Mar-21
Finally got some moisture in AZ. Snow. Thought I would put out a blurb about snow tires. My truck and the neighbors jeep have BFG Mud treads. Absolutely worthless in the snow. The wife's car has bridgestone blizzak snow tires. Wonderful in the snow. During our big storm one of the neighbors ran out of propane and had an emergency delivery. Coming down the hill into our development the propane truck slid off the road. Neighbor comes out with his jeep to help he slides off the road. The wife and I were coming in from town and could not get around the truck / jeep combo, so I put the suv in reverse figuring I will just try to get out of the way if they have to get a wrecker in to pull the propane truck back onto the road.

Shazam, no problem backing up the hill. This was on a snowpacked one lane gravel road that you could not stand on.

We went back to town had a meal and when we came back both the jeep and the propane truck were out of the ditch, had to drop the tire pressure way down to get some traction.

I do not work for Bridgestone, nor have any affiliation with any tire company, just reporting what works for me, your mileage may vary.

Terry

16-Mar-21
I have had good luck with BFG KO2s all terrain?

Depends on what kind of snow/ice you have.

16-Mar-21
I like Firestone Winterforce.

16-Mar-21

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
MathewsMan's embedded Photo
I am a Colorado Native and never knew anyone that had studded tires, however here in Alaska many people have a full set of extra rims for the winter with studded tires.

We are running a TOYO tire and drive a bit cautiously but I’m pleased with the winter performance of them. Also they are quiet and get great mileage. Probably why they are not cheap.

16-Mar-21
Jeeps are lite and have mostly wide tires,, that not a good combination on snow.. For the most parts, the tire on a jeep would not have sipes. Tires with spies really help with snow traction. The more sipes in a tire the better. All season tire have some sipes, winter tire for the most parts have a lot of sipes. Ed

16-Mar-21
Have used Blizzaks as well. They’re very good in snow. But softer rubber and west faster, on dry pavement.

16-Mar-21
Agree on Blizzaks when you try them it's unbelievable the difference, especially braking. And yes you will not get the millage from them. Put them on for the winter and a new set next winter.

17-Mar-21
I had some Chineese nock off Blizzaks from Big O. I commuted over 2 mountain passes from Leadville to Vail. Four days a week. Never had a problem keeping the Subaru on the road. I also ran some Nokian WR2 tires year round, they were also great tires in the winter.

18-Mar-21
I'm guessing the majority of you who have snow tires are familiar enough with working on cars that you swap the tires out yourself. Does anyone have snow tires, store them, and bring them to someone to put on each year? Is that much of a hassle?

18-Mar-21
BFG KO2’s - no problems with snow. Best tire I’ve used.

18-Mar-21
I would get the snow tires put on my rims at the tire shop for $40 in the fall in the spring have them put the all seasons back on. It wasn't a hassle at all. I think it's more expensive these days. I never got around to getting another set of rims and leaving the snow tires mounted and swapping tires/rims myself at home.

18-Mar-21
I swap out the all seasons for the winter tires myself on my wife's ride. I don't have two sets of rims but I have access to a tire machine at a shop near my house I used to work at way back when I was in high school and college. Hard to believe I still remember how to operate it.

I agree with others above who mentioned the Blizzaks, pricey but hard to beat.

18-Mar-21
Blizzaks on the car. Winterforce on the truck. I don't care about wear. I only put about 3-4000 miles a year. I got 13 years out of the last tires on my truck before the rotted.

18-Mar-21
MathewsMan x2. I've had Toyo snows, 10 ply since the 90s, they last 60k miles, and are the best IMO. If fact, we just got a new set installed on the Outback yesterday. All season Toyos..NY can have snow anytine during 8 or 9 mos, and a lot of rain. Have had them on my 06 Tacoma for most of the time Ive owned it, once the ones that came with it wore out. I run the snows year round, and they are going strong on 50K right now.

18-Apr-21
BFG KO2’s are great.

18-Apr-21
Good Year Duratracs, good in snow, and everywhere else.

18-Apr-21

Bentshaft's embedded Photo
Bentshaft's embedded Photo
They'll be good in Arizona, guaranteed. That's all I use.

18-Apr-21
Up in the snow belt, fresh, quality tires are a must if you hunt off-road in the snow and ice. Last Year I put on some Pathfinder All-Terrain's on my hunting F-150. My neighbor is a manager at the local Discount Tire and said those are one of the better tires for winter work on and off-road. Those are the first set of those I used and was pretty impressed. I had to cut a trail on a two-track on the hunting property. There was maybe 12" to 14" of snow and they seemed to hold the truck straight going up and down the hills. I had to stop and do a turn around and you could feel the tires hook up to the snow and pull thru....no spinning at all.

All that said.....IMO....I don't care what brand/type of tire you have, if they are worn down....you'll loose traction fairly easy. Sure they might do good on dry roads, but once the ice and snow hits, you'll find out real quick how poorly worn tires behave in the ice and snow....BTDT two hunting seasons ago. I was going up the frozen two-track to the cabin and the rear end of the truck slipped into a low spot next to the two track and I got stuck. Last year the new tires had no slippage on the frozen two-track.

18-Apr-21
On our logging roads, chains, all winter. On tar, studded Coopers. I have 2 sets of tires and switch to all-seasons the last week of April. We had a nasty snow storm Friday and Saturday. Hopefully, that is it, though we can use the “poor man’s fertilizer.”

18-Apr-21
On our logging roads, chains, all winter. On tar, studded Coopers. I have 2 sets of tires and switch to all-seasons the last week of April. We had a nasty snow storm Friday and Saturday. Hopefully, that is it, though we can use the “poor man’s fertilizer.”

18-Apr-21
Michelin x-ice work well for suv and cars a little better wear vs blizzaks. Nokiian wrg3 are the best tires for car and suv you can run year round they are equal to a mild full winter tire. Nokian also makes an all season truck tire with snow rating. Nokian invented snow tires they make the best look them up.

18-Apr-21
Blizzaks on my wife's car and my truck every winter. Traction and breaking great for our Wis. wintery roads.

19-Apr-21
I'm a TOYO guy for years and years.

I rotate to the A/T's for summer time May---October and then from November ---April I rotate to the M/T's.

Totally happy with them.

Good luck, Robb

19-Apr-21
X10 on the Blizzaks. I put them on my daughter JEEP SUV back when she was in school. I had big mud and snows on my truck. Her little SUV was far better on snowy/Icy roads. We just took them off in April because they are soft. Cars and SUVs are naturally better on ice then trucks but the tires really helped.

19-Apr-21
I live in the Lake Superior snowbelt, have been using Bridgestone Duelers for years. I run them year round and they really are good to 60,000 miles.

• Sitka Gear