BullBuster 06-Apr-21
Woods Walker 10-Apr-21
SteveB 11-Apr-21
Woods Walker 11-Apr-21
Wild Bill 11-Apr-21
Driver 11-Apr-21
Driver 11-Apr-21
25-Mar-21
What are the most effective posted signs? Traditional keep out etc... more mordern with trail camera warning of video surveillance?

Just bought my first piece of ground, 110 acres.

25-Mar-21
Most trespassers around here couldn't read or understand "surveillance" or possibly even "trespassing"

I would keep it simple with short words like Keep Out. Reflective lettering is good too.

25-Mar-21
IMO video or cell cam monitoring signage is a good deterrent.

25-Mar-21
"Trespassers will be Prostituted"

25-Mar-21
Motion activated banjo recording?

25-Mar-21
www.vosssigns.com I put them up every 25 yards for almost 4.5 miles around my place. Sometimes they have a sale also. i got the custom made ones.

25-Mar-21
I saw one in South Carolina one time that read:

notres

Pasin

I thought it was Spanish at first, then it hit me.

25-Mar-21
Thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming.

I purchased the land from family. We know of treaspassing issues but my family never lived there and never enforced anything. While there the other day I saw someone walking a dog off leash that had head phones on from about 400 yards... I want to hip activity like this in the bud.

25-Mar-21
A friend of mine made his own sign and placed it on his entrance gate. It reads.......The owner of this property will either prosecute or execute all trespassers depending on his mood that day.

25-Mar-21
Don't post it with a name like john Doe.. Post it with a name like northern sportsmen club. Folks are less likely to trespass on a hunting club then a private owner. With them thinking hunters will be coming and going. They will never know when a member will show up. Ed

25-Mar-21
"Post it with a name like northern sportsmen club"

I like it...maybe even "MAGA Militia" ;^)

25-Mar-21

Woods Walker's embedded Photo
One of my favs.........

25-Mar-21

And the other.......

25-Mar-21
Somebody before my time posted several on our lease that say “There is nothing behind this sign worth dying for”

25-Mar-21

Norseman 's embedded Photo

25-Mar-21

25-Mar-21

luckychucky's embedded Photo
luckychucky's embedded Photo
Just come right out and say it...

25-Mar-21
I've watched Northwoods law. Those guys are a lot less intimidating then the Lone Star guys.

25-Mar-21
"If Amish take a right and drive 1,154 miles due west to Ohio. You will be welcome on all properties there."

25-Mar-21
"Beware of Dog Owner" has always been a favorite.

25-Mar-21
Julius, Congrats on buying the family land Voss sign is the gold standard in signs Yes purple paint is a law here in Maine, but it means "by permission only". The paint is good because it can't fall off the tree so easily. Seems like it is common practice to use trees as sign posts. If you have to use a tree as a sign post, use the tree directly along the property line that also has a blaze on it. Ask WV Mountaineer what kind of a bonus loggers and mills pay for wood lots with nails in trees! I strongly recommend having the property lines blazed and painted. Brush them out for the full effect. The property lines will be clear and visible and the blazes will provide evidence of the line long after your dead and gone. At least to a trained eye. Land is not getting any cheaper and marking the boundary lines is the best investment you can make in keeping your ownership clear. Julius, are you from Maine ? Unless your property has been posted then technically people aren't trespassing. Maine and New Hampshire have a very unique law allowing permissive trespassing on unimproved land unless it is posted otherwise.

I trust what I am going to say will stir up a hornets nest of hate. I am a staunch land owners rights person. But I have also made some observations over time good and bad about allowing permissive trespass. I am on the side of allowing permissive trespass for what it does to promote and keep hunting strong in the general population. I know, 180 degrees to land owner rights. Where all the undeveloped land is open to be hunted, there is land for anybody to hunt including people without deep pockets including their kids. Our local paper has no shortage of pictures of kids with their deer, bear and turkeys. The locale gas station has a list of all the deer tagged and the weights. There is over 75 people on the list and a good percentage of big deer over 160 lbs. Usually a half dozen over 200 lbs. So this contributes to the next generation and apparently doesn't hurt the herd. By the way, we are a one tag (buck only) per year state unless you draw a bonus tag or hunt some of the special archery zones along the coast or around the built up towns.

On the negative side, I certainly appreciate having neighbors being perfectly happy to kill every young buck you wanted to see grow. My neighbors are proud as punch they all tagged out on yearlings. And having people hunt through the place you were set up in sucks. Most every hunter I know will agree it is 100% within your right to post your property. But it is frowned upon. Your presence will not be welcome hunting anywhere else if you have your place posted. I can also 100% understand there is no incentive to put in food plots or other intensive management only to have every tom dick and sally come through your place. I guess I am just saying cut people a little slack. Make the rounds, introduce your self and let them know you aren't from around here and you are going to be one of those people from away. They will respect you and your right to do it. Just keep in mind that isn't how most of the local romans do it.

Blue Spot

25-Mar-21
Please say your prayers and make things right with God before entering/ protected by Smith and Wesson/ burial by Kubota. Have a friend that posted his property with that.

25-Mar-21
JohnMc I am sure our newengland officers seem a little less uptight. But to a degree, I think that is related to our permissive trespass rules. I think all those shows all dwell too much on protecting and saving common animals that are too numerous and considered pests. Too many resources spent protecting a pest. The worst was an officer trying to catch a woodchuck in down town Portland Maine, unsuccessfully! The officers are human and subject to forgetfulness and bending the law as any human is. A few years ago I sold wood for a customer. One of the Maine officers lived on an adjacent big house lot. He used to be a regular on the Maine show but I think he has been promoted to management now. He had a bait site out to shoot/hunt predators during the winter. Common practice. Baiting on another persons land requires land owner permission. No my client never herd of the guy! During that job I had a little of the CO's wood cut. The logging crew is one of the local big families. Well known for filling all of their tags, mom, sister, girl friends, aunts and uncles etc included if you know what I mean.

25-Mar-21
Thanks guys for the feed back. The land has been posted, but not enforced. My wife and I are certainly open to permissive trespass. I just don’t want to be unaware of people using the land. I don’t want dogs free ranging on it off leash. I caught a guy with an off leash pit bull on trail camera last year, and this year a guy still hunting with a shotgun during deer season.

25-Mar-21
"Under new ownership, no trespassing allowed!"

26-Mar-21
Yes, nothing worse than unenforced posting. All the worst characters will be there

as buddy of mine who is a bit of an outlaw says "posted" privately owned sanctuary to enter discreetly changing the curtains on the signs will help people get the idea the signs are for real now. As others have said in other threads, a couple sacrificial lambs (people, not dogs) should get the word out in the neighborhood that it is not a dog park.

My uncle in Ct has a nice chunk of land he doesn't live on. He is not to excited to share the hunting with strangers but lets the neighbor keep a mowed path around the lot and walk regularly. I have hunted the lot a bunch and the deer are very accustomed to walkers and will hold very tight. Almost let you walk by them before they flush sometimes. Maybe a similar kind of neighbor could keep an eye on your place if you don't live close by.

26-Mar-21
Where I live if you put a sign up that says camera warning or video surveillance they will trespass to steal your cameras.

26-Mar-21
We will be living on the land in the next couple months. We are doing a little renovation to the home.

I’m hoping with more human presence, this is less of an issue.

This past winter people made a snow shoe trail that intentionally went around a trail camera haha. The trail camera regularly catches a lady on Sunday’s in November and December shaking apples from the tree it is watching.

26-Mar-21
There's one just down river of Bonneville Dam along I-84 on a little side road by the river that says "Turn around now, and get the F?€£ out of here". It worked...

26-Mar-21
I think you have a good outlook. Hazardous Waste is my favorite

26-Mar-21

Ricky The Cabel Guy's embedded Photo
Ricky The Cabel Guy's embedded Photo
the way things are going...

26-Mar-21
Was accused of shooting at trespassers one time. Really cut down on the issue. lol It was not true but really cut down on our problem.

26-Mar-21
I have a picture of a hand painted sign I came across in West Virginia several years ago but I can't post it due to the language. It basically stated that they hated everyone and would kill anyone that entered their property, laced with curse words and colorful names for some races of folks.

Unfortunately I had to speak with the landowner as we had to clear right of way through their property. Luckily, I had a phone number. I called and the owner of the land met me at the gate. He was a character to say the least. Our crew didn't have any problems clearing through his property, he was cashing those oil and gas checks and knew the drill.

26-Mar-21

DanaC's embedded Photo
DanaC's embedded Photo
Luckychucky, I upgraded yours ;-)

26-Mar-21

Stan Rauch's embedded Photo
Stan Rauch's embedded Photo
A good one......

26-Mar-21
How about... "Trespassers will be eaten"

26-Mar-21
^^^ They must have a macro lens on their trailcam.

26-Mar-21
KEEP YOUR A$$ OUT OR I’M LETTING THE BANJO BOYS LOOSE!

26-Mar-21
One guy put up a sign that said: Unprotected personnel will be subjected to severe radiation on this property. The police investigated after a lot of people complained. He told the judge it just meant that if you went on his property naked you could get sunburned. The law made him take the signs down.

26-Mar-21
I have a family member who put a sign on his bedroom door as a kid that read “persecutors will be violated.” We were all pretty sure what he meant to say, but stayed out... just in case.

26-Mar-21

woodguy65's embedded Photo
On one of my outbuildings.

26-Mar-21

26-Mar-21

35-Acre's embedded Photo
35-Acre's embedded Photo
Every time a thread like this comes up I wish I could find the file that I used to make mine. So I mocked some up. I just did these in PowerPoint (google slides). I have 4 different ones, I can't recall what they all say.

I print them out in color. They are about 1/2 of a sheet of paper. Then I put them in ziplock bags and staple them to the trees. The clear plastic bag gives them that "official shiny look". You can make a hundred really quick and cheap.

26-Mar-21
Thanks again guys!

26-Mar-21
I have one sign on the road entering one of my wood lots, “hunters are welcome, no tree stands, no baiting, no cameras, just hunt.” “PS, if you post your land, stay off mine.” I have never had an issue. I get a lot of bird hunters as I have a tremendous woodcock flight cover there. Posting up here is almost non-existent. If one posts up here it usually means they are hiding something like pot plants or illegal bait. With fire, rescue, ambulance being all volunteer, people are less apt to post as that guy you booted off your land may have to haul your butt out of the woods or save your house from fire. Plus we have a million plus acres of open timberlands and our deer are roamers and are not owned by the landowner. They are not considered private property, they are wild, and most up here hunt for meat.

26-Mar-21
I like a local one here in NW Wyoming that says No Trespassing! Survivors will be prosecuted.

26-Mar-21
I still like the one about how wide the pasture is and how many seconds you think you need to run across it, because..... “The Bull can do it in five.”

26-Mar-21
Purple paint law in PA is the real deal. They don’t mess around if it’s purple paint and your caught on the property.

26-Mar-21

BOHNTR's embedded Photo
BOHNTR's embedded Photo
My neighbor’s

27-Mar-21
35 acre....:

Printing half size paper PowerPoint signs and stapling them in zip-loc bags gives them an official look? Official what????

29-Mar-21
Bou' I guess I was meaning to say that they don't just end up being paper signs stapled to a tree (which would likely last a day or two at best in the weather). The bag gives it a shiny surface that makes them stand out a bit (not much in the woods is shiny and they appear metal from the car/edge of the road. You can read them clearly but they don't look junky.

29-Mar-21

craig's embedded Photo
craig's embedded Photo

31-Mar-21

lewis's embedded Photo
lewis's embedded Photo
Just saw this one kinda gets to the point lol ?? Good luck Lewis

31-Mar-21
I really like that Lewis.

05-Apr-21

Rob Nye's embedded Photo
Rob Nye's embedded Photo
These have been very effective for me.

05-Apr-21

Rob Nye's embedded Photo
Rob Nye's embedded Photo
Snowmobilers love ripping up my fielld at home and No Trespassing signs mean diddly squat to them. I used to go In the Spring and pick up all the beer cans and chip bags and chocolate bar wrappers they left behind. A certain rise in the field was a favorite spot for them to take a beer break. (About 20 yards from a No Trespassing sign.) Several years ago I spent a couple hundred dollars on 10 of these bad boys, posted them around perimeter and no more garbage problem. The odd sledder can’t help himself and has to take a rip in spite but they don’t stop and leave their garbage anymore.

05-Apr-21

4nolz@work's embedded Photo
4nolz@work's embedded Photo

05-Apr-21
A neighbor raises Christmas trees. He kept having trouble with snowmobilers running over his trees in spite of signs. He confronted a group of them and one told him snowmobiling was his hobby. My neighbor took out a roll of piano wire and began to stretch it between trees, about neck high. They asked him why he was doing that. His answer, “it’s my hobby.” They never returned. We get thousands of snowmobilers up here. That is a sport that really attracts idiots. Every so often, one hits a wire fence at 60 during the night or a bob house. We spend a lot of time every winter dragging them out.

05-Apr-21

Wapitidung's embedded Photo
Wapitidung's embedded Photo
Here you go.

05-Apr-21
I don’t know about New Hampshire, but that trick will get you a Manslaughter change here.

05-Apr-21

7mm08's embedded Photo
7mm08's embedded Photo
Not a trespassing sign, but cracks me up every time I go by this ranch in WY.

06-Apr-21
Acting like a crazy maniac usually works well.

06-Apr-21
Jstephens61, He didn’t leave the wire up, but they didn’t know that. We loss a few up here to bar gates and wire fences. I am on fire/rescue and a few years back a snowmobilers took a barbed wire fence at a high rate of speed at night. His head was several feet from his body, in his helmet. I had one come flying around a corner on a posted logging road and nail my ten wheeler plow. Not pretty but he survived. His snowmobile didn’t. Word to the wise, anyone coming up to Northern NH, Maine, Vermont, or Quebec, have a CB. Loggers call out every mile and that gives you the chance to pull off. Trucks with 100,000+ on them will not take a ditch and roll over for a 4 wheel vehicle. They own the logging roads.

06-Apr-21
^^^Grew up in Northern VT and have never heard of any logging trucks sending a dispatch out every mile and also have never heard of a logging truck just running over people because they own the roads and not try to avoid you. The logging truck driver doesn't own the road. But what the heck, sounds good on the intraweb.

FWIW most logging is a think of the past now unfortunately up there. Big reason the moose population has plummeted in addition to the ticks.

06-Apr-21

BullBuster's embedded Photo
BullBuster's embedded Photo

10-Apr-21

If they trespass anyway after seeing this, then chances are they're not there for the hunting anyway!!

11-Apr-21
After we bought our land we quickly realized that historically it had been treated like community property. Kind warnings and signs didn’t help so we decided to put some teeth in it with concentrated time to “catch” people in the act. A few 12 gauge shots into the air while surprising them and yelling like a deranged idiot, walking toward them gun in hand a few times got the word out. Problem has been solved for over 10 years now.

11-Apr-21
If Biden gets his red flag laws passed and you do that you'll not only lose your firearms, but your property and freedom too!!!

11-Apr-21
In the words of Joe Biden. "If you want to protect yourself, get a double-barrelled shotgun, have the shells, a 12-gauge shotgun, and I promise you, as I told my wife — we live in an area that’s wooded and somewhat secluded — I said “Jill, if there’s ever a problem just walk out on the balcony here, walk out, put that double-barrelled shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house.” I promise you, whoever’s coming in is not — you don’t need an AR-15. It’s harder to aim, it’s harder to use, and in fact you don’t need 30 rounds to protect yourself. Buy a shotgun. Buy a shotgun."

11-Apr-21

Driver's embedded Photo
Driver's embedded Photo

11-Apr-21

Driver's embedded Photo
Driver's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear