DonVathome 31-Mar-21
Jasper 31-Mar-21
elkmtngear 31-Mar-21
Jasper 01-Apr-21
hunt'n addict 01-Apr-21
t-roy 01-Apr-21
Jasper 01-Apr-21
31-Mar-21
Looks like my plans have changed and I’ll be flying (instead of driving) to SD, renting a truck and hunting SD and WY. My goal is to kill the grand slam and get one of each species full body mounted. So what’s the best way to get my bird home? One year my son killed a Merriam, we froze it, put it in a trash bag and then a duffel bag which we carried on the plane. The TSA folks stopped the conveyor and had a discussion about the turkey but let us on. Has anyone ever had something like that denied for carry on? I suppose I could freeze it and overnight it home but that’d be an added expense. I could also freeze it and pay the checked baggage fee. Thoughts? Thanks!

31-Mar-21
Put a mask on it, carry it under your arm, and tell them it's a "service animal" ?

JK...I got nuthin' :^(

31-Mar-21
Could you find a taxidermist there to skin it for you. I not sure how they 'tan' a bird but might be easier than trying to bring whole bird back?

31-Mar-21
Use a cooler of your check bag. Put a duffle bag inside with your cloths. If you get a bird, freeze it and put it in the cooler and then check the duffle bag as well. One check item there and hopefully 2 check items coming home.

31-Mar-21
Talk to your taxidermist and see what he recommends first of all.

I would skin the bird enough to remove the biggest parts. Everything but the head, feet, and fan. Then freeze it and pack it up so feathers don't get damaged using some cardboard and put it in your checked bag.

31-Mar-21
Someone here on BS long ago recommended taking a leg of panty hose and pulling the bird thru neck first as that will keep all the feathers from getting mussed up. Beyond that I'd guess freeze solid and pack in a cooler with padding.

31-Mar-21
follow these instructions closely - Shane Smith is a legend in turkey taxidermy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Y0YP-Z8H8

i'm a taxidermist - if you want some more tips shoot me a message and i will give you a call.

31-Mar-21
Carry on if size is ok. I take a LOT of meat home frozen and fresh (cool not frozen) as carry on bags. Always get searched never an issue. BE NICE to TSA.

31-Mar-21
Thanks guys! Lol Jeffery...Sir, if your service turkey gobbles one more time we’re going to have to ask you to deplane!

31-Mar-21

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo

elkmtngear's Link
Holy Crap! I was just kidding...but it seriously has happened!

See Story at link

01-Apr-21
WTH??!! Can I call it my emotional support animal if it’s dead?

01-Apr-21
Jasper, Just have a tear roll down your cheek when you get on the plane and tell them you are taking it home for a proper burial.

01-Apr-21
Might even get a bereavement discount on the airfare!

01-Apr-21
LOL....

• Sitka Gear