MA_Bowhunter 01-Apr-21
MA_Bowhunter 01-Apr-21
steve 01-Apr-21
Mule Power 01-Apr-21
bowhunt 01-Apr-21
Rickm 01-Apr-21
jingalls 01-Apr-21
01-Apr-21
Last day to apply for a NR Montana Hunting licenses and Elk combos. I have been to Montana archery Elk hunting twice. I have a friend that lives there, and we hunt together. Majority of our hunts are via backpack. He has many public land spots he has pre-scouted, and we see/hear elk on them each trip, but so far, no harvests. I have been satisfied with the hunts so far. I am trying to figure out if it is worth it to apply for an Elk permit for these special areas. Are they really that much better than other public land in Montana?

01-Apr-21
They can be.

01-Apr-21
In general, Limited entry = less pressured game

01-Apr-21
Some are "better" in theory and managed for larger older age class. We really only have a handful of areas managed that way. Some permit areas are not necessarily "better" but are permitted/limited because there are low elk numbers and they are trying to bring the herd back. They will also permit/limit areas with little to no public access. If you apply, make sure you know why that area is a draw area. MT system is trash and management is done in the Senate rather than by wildlife biologist. Things aren't always as they appear.

01-Apr-21
The Montana website absolutely SUCKS! I've been trying to find info on elk b tags for over an hour and haven't found it yet. Those people need choked!!

01-Apr-21
Scoot - yes.

01-Apr-21
SBH - great information. Any advice on how I determine "make sure you know why that area is a draw area"? The hunt planner indicates which areas are restricted, but not why.

01-Apr-21
SBH & Pop-r X 2 !!!

01-Apr-21
No. Regardless of how many points you have you may never draw while people with less points do. Not a fan of that system at all.

01-Apr-21
If I was getting into elk each trip out hunting, I would consider that a good area.

You have 2 years of experience, and know where the elk are. I would just try to figure out what you need to do different to kill one.

01-Apr-21
Bowhunt, I agree. Unless the pressure is unreal or you have intell on a permit unit. Our go to general unit has gotten overwhelmed with hunters to the point I don't want to go back and we are on elk most days.

01-Apr-21
No...don’t bother. Move along...nothing to see here!-)

• Sitka Gear