Rgiesey 14-Jun-21
RK 14-Jun-21
IdyllwildArcher 14-Jun-21
wildwilderness 14-Jun-21
'Ike' (Phone) 15-Jun-21
Mike Ukrainetz 15-Jun-21
Grey Ghost 15-Jun-21
03-Apr-21
On Saturday, March 20th, the Pope and Young Club convened a Special Panel of Judges in Alberta, Canada for a potential P&Y World Record Non-Typical American Elk. Shawn O’Shea’s Non-Typical American Elk scored an incredible 449 4/8” and is now the largest bow-harvested Non-Typical American Elk in North America. This amazing bull was arrowed on September 14, 2020 in Minburn County, Alberta.

Measurers present at the Special Panel (L to R) Heath Dreger, Bill Deyo, Joyce Lorenz, Mike Halirewich, and P&Y Records Committee member, Pat McKenzie. With a confirmed final score of 449 4/8”, O’Shea’s bull is the new P&Y World Record. This bull surpasses the previous world record by 7 4/8”.

According the O’Shea the bull was first located in September of 2017. “Routine examinations of trail cameras rendered interesting snapshots of the nocturnal 8 x 7 bull elk. As of yet it had not been seen in other hunts or scouting trips, and interest only grew as time went on like this. The few pictures caught by camera served only as teasers, you had to but look at the photos to realize the massive potential of this animal.”

Shawn finally caught up the bull in the fall of 2020. Shawn recalled, “On the 13th (September), I heard him fighting with another bull and tried to get in close, only to be halted by the dark. Hoping to get a glance the next morning, I set out and was once again treated to a no show. The evening hike in proved promising at first due to an abundance of fresh bull rut activity. Once in place, I tried a few locator calls with no responses. I then set up in a ground blind near a frequently used trail with fresh sign. Eventually the bull appeared to my left at only 30 yards, seemingly planning his next move. He stood for 3 to 5 minutes, with the wind in my favor. In a compromising position, I waited until a draw would not spook the bull. He then closed the gap to 18 yards, and I was able to draw and make the shot count.”

This amazing bull will be invited for display at the Pope and Young Convention in Reno, NV. The convention will run from July 14-17, 2021, with the awards dinner and presentation on Saturday, July 17th.

03-Apr-21
Wow. Amazing! What a stud of a bull!

03-Apr-21
Amazing how much antler they can grow.

03-Apr-21

sticksender's embedded Photo
sticksender's embedded Photo

03-Apr-21
Amazing to be sure. Great job

03-Apr-21

BOHNTR's embedded Photo
BOHNTR's embedded Photo
Here’s a better look at the tops of this giant bull.

03-Apr-21
Unreal!!! Amazing animal and good for the hunter.

04-Apr-21
Wow. One of my dream animals is a bull with big crowns. Incredible animal.

04-Apr-21
Monstah!

04-Apr-21
Stud! Going to be quite the display in Reno. As always!

04-Apr-21
Beautiful bull!

Question for the measurers.......On a Yellowstone elk, the crowned points are scored as Nontypical points (I’m assuming). On Rosies, crowning is much more prevalent. Are crowned points scored differently on Rosies than on a Yellowstone?

04-Apr-21
Love that mass!!

04-Apr-21
Amazing bull! Congrats to the hunter!

04-Apr-21
Wonder if bowhunters in the 2080's are going to say,, Man those bowhunter sure had it good in the 2020's?? Nice bull !

04-Apr-21
T-Roy:

Roosevelt elk commonly grow crown points (points on or above the royal point (G4). They are added to the score without symmetry deductions. Any abnormal point below the G4 are deducted, as there is currently no non-typical category for Roosevelt elk.

American Elk have a typical and nontypical category. For typical, any/all abnormal points (or ‘crown points’) are deducted from the finale net typical frame. For non-typical American elk, the typical frame is measured (with symmetry deductions) and then the abnormal points are added to the typical frame. Abnormal points can grow at any location on the antlers.

05-Apr-21
Thanks Roy!

14-Jun-21

APauls's Link
Keep overlooking Canada. Keep all the pressure down there. As global warming takes hold our animals will get bigger than ever.

14-Jun-21
Good story on the bull Adam. Well deserved animal for the hunter! I like that!

14-Jun-21
Yep, cool stuff...except for the Affliction shirt ;?)

14-Jun-21
And to think he managed to kill this trophy without being the highest bidder on a tag with no season dates or unit restrictions, and he did it without hiring a small army of scouts to locate and keep track of the bull for him. Now that's a hunter I can truly admire and be happy for, and a kill that I can respect.

Matt

14-Jun-21
Great story!

14-Jun-21
GG. Your hatred for things that don't matter is clouding your judgement or reading comprehension

"The bull was first located in September 2017" "Routine examinations of trail Cameras ........"

Say hello to my little friends.. Trail Cameras. Plural CAMERAS

I DO AGREE WITH YOU. IT IS A HUNTER THAT I ADMIRE ALSO

Only I admire most hunters no matter how they legally hunt!!

Anyway. AWESOME trophy! Congrats to the Hunter and it will be cool to see at PY this year!

Matt on another subject How was the Tarpon fishing this year in Florida ??

14-Jun-21

14-Jun-21
GG -“ And to think he managed to kill this trophy without being the highest bidder on a tag with no season dates or unit restrictions, and he did it without hiring a small army of scouts to locate and keep track of the bull for him. Now that's a hunter I can truly admire and be happy for, and a kill that I can respect. Matt”

But But But he used a trail camera, and a compound bow, and a carbon arrow, and a store bought Broadhead….. where do you draw the line? On money? Guides? Technology?

I say congrats to anyone who can get a P&Y WR since that means it was ethical, legal and fair chase, even if they had help or money etc.

15-Jun-21
The droopy ears gave it away…

15-Jun-21
Alberta isn’t managed for trophy elk so that makes this bull all the more amazing! Incredible animal and Congrats to the dedicated hunter who took him!

15-Jun-21

Grey Ghost's Link
RK,

I don't believe I've ever said I hate trail cameras. They aren't part of my hunting repertoire, but I don't hate them. What I don't like is seeing dozens of them stacked around every water hole on public land.

I also don't like the idea of special tags with no season dates or unit restrictions being sold to the highest bidder. And I doin't think it should be legal to hire multiple scouts to locate and keep track of big game for you. Again, none of those opinions fall into the "hate" category, but I know that word gets thrown around a lot these days.

Florida tarpon fishing was a highlight of my year, as usual. We didn't catch the numbers that we have in the past, but that just made the ones we did catch even more special. If you're interested, the link above is a 11 minute video of one of our catches. My buddy, Chris, is the angler. My other buddy, Max, is at the helm of my skiff. And I'm the old fat guy running the video camera. Thanks for asking.

Matt

• Sitka Gear