LuckyLeo 18-Apr-21
Pop-r 18-Apr-21
SBH 19-Apr-21
ROUGHCOUNTRY 19-Apr-21
SBH 19-Apr-21
LKH 19-Apr-21
Monarchcx 22-Apr-21
18-Apr-21
Hey guys I found out today that i was successful in drawing a Montana elk and deer big game combo. I never hunted in Montana before and I’m looking for some insight and some Open country units. The places I Hunting in the past in Colorado were all dark timber and I am looking for something different this time. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Leo

18-Apr-21
Montana offers a very large amount of open country in every unit there. Good luck!

19-Apr-21
Leo- Depends what you consider open country I guess. In my opinion most of the "open country" units are out east in the breaks and south of there. They mostly require special draw. The majority of the elk hunting in western half will be thicker timber and bigger mountains. Good luck with your hunt, hope you enjoy your time here.

19-Apr-21
I'd say with a general tag you may want to focus on the southwest portion near Dillon. There are some large areas of foothills and sage and good numbers of elk. It IS NOT flat however and still physically demanding if that was part of the equation.

19-Apr-21
Good point Mike. There are some open areas in the western half for sure.

19-Apr-21
Like SBH said. Also, even if you draw a special permit in the east the best hunting is on private.

22-Apr-21
The best hunting is on private. There further west you go the thicker it is. More hills too. Grizzlies abundant in Bob Marshall area. Have a Plan A and a Plan B. Maybe a Plan C & D too. RMNP Museum is a worthwhile stop in Missoula. Enjoy the moments.

• Sitka Gear