drycreek 19-Apr-21
JohnMC 19-Apr-21
longbeard 19-Apr-21
Bandicooter 19-Apr-21
Elauwit 20-Apr-21
Jims 22-Apr-21
Pop-r 22-Apr-21
19-Apr-21
If this happens again: I get to a spot to sit and listen in the dark of morning. Soon realize they are roosted within a few yards of me. Do I wait, and hope one of them makes a mistake in front of me at fly down, or do I quickly move on to another spot(? around100 yards away?) that think they may walk to after fly down?

19-Apr-21

Brotsky's embedded Photo
When he first gobbled.
Brotsky's embedded Photo
When he first gobbled.
Brotsky's embedded Photo
After fly down and right before my better half missed him at 8 yards lol
Brotsky's embedded Photo
After fly down and right before my better half missed him at 8 yards lol
Been there done that.

19-Apr-21
If I got that close undetected. I would count my luckstars and stay put

19-Apr-21
Stay put and don't spook them! More than once, I've had them fly off the roost right to my decoys.

19-Apr-21
Did they start chirping at you in the dark as you moved in? If so I guess the game is over and you lost. If not I like your odds.

19-Apr-21
^^^Sit tight x5

19-Apr-21
My buddy and I, sat tight against a tree one morning, in that same situation. I could look straight up in another tree, and see the birds.

At flydown, a massive gobbler swooped down in a big arc, and plopped down 3 feet in front of us! I think the bird, and us, had the same exact expression on our faces, lol !

My buddy emptied his gun on it, as it ran and took off, like a Lear Jet, into the next canyon.

I'll never forget his words..."That's the kind of sh** , that turns guys into alcoholics" !

19-Apr-21
Sit tight. I once sat right underneath the roost trees. At daylight I had turkeys gobbling above me and later birds and hens dropping everywhere around me. I could not move until they moved off. I eventually called a nice bird back. I don't know how I was able to get in there. I certainly wasn't quiet or particularly stealthy. There were a lot of dry branches on the ground from a recent storm, and I used a flashlight. Go figure.

19-Apr-21
Do the exact opposite of what you think they will do :^)

19-Apr-21
I walked under a roost tree before daylight in Kansas once. I wasn’t lucky enough to get in place before they all busted and I damn near had a coronary. If you thing busting a covey of quail in the dark is hard on you.............

19-Apr-21
A few years ago the turkeys were coming off the neighbor property to a roost just on the corner of property I have permission to hunt. I knew there would be no way to get in on them in the morning. So I climbed into blind afternoon before (day before season). That night they came back to roost I had turkey rubbing on the blind and finally flew up above me. It was a lot fun to just watch them since I could not shoot one. I sleep in blind that night. Next morning they flew down out of range and spend day on neighbors. I did kill one that evening when they came back. Actually I double up when one climbed on top of the first one I shot.

19-Apr-21
Are you in a blind or just sitting next to a tree? Did they start alarm putting as you sat down or were they completely silent? Are you on level ground or on a mountain side? All these variables should come into play for you to make your decision. I will say, even when they bust you in the dark and are sounding the alarm, if they haven’t spooked completely and flown away, you still have a chance if you let them settle down. Many times the gobbler doesn’t roost right with the hens so he may not even know what’s going on. Patients and no more movement is the secret here. I’ve killed many gobblers after making this mistake.

19-Apr-21
Killed my biggest turkey that way. I was in a thick area so I looked for the most open spot for him to fly down. I slide around the tree to face that way and waited an hour until he flew down. He hit the exact spot I expected. I nailed him. Made me feel brilliant. Of course, things went back to normal the rest of the season with the birds making a fool of me.

20-Apr-21
I sat up on the dark one morning and as soon as I got sat down there was a clap of thunder. That set off a shock gobble very close. As I was looking up, the sky light up with a lightning flash and I could see him plain as day, two trees away. Another shock gobbled followed then it started to pour. I waited him out it took an hour for him to fly down. Both the easiest and hardest turkey I ever killed.

22-Apr-21
I heard a turkey directly over my head while slooowly walking down a tree row that I knew turkeys roosted at. I waited for daylight and could have shot a couple toms perched over my head....they flew down on the run and were gone! You never know but it's likely worth a try waiting!

22-Apr-21
No way huh? Lol

• Sitka Gear