SteveB 24-Apr-21
AZ8 24-Apr-21
Sivart 24-Apr-21
ElkNut1 24-Apr-21
blacktail 01-May-21
Cheesehead Mike 01-May-21
WYOelker 02-May-21
22-Apr-21
So I have never ran any such devices. I am looking at getting an INreach, inlight of the recent bear attack and the fact that this weekend my son and I are turkey hunting in bear country here in WY. Locally they only have the mini, I don't need the gps and really only want the ability to contact for rescue and to let my wife know I am ok.

The only thing that might sway my need to the full sized version is the ability to see other inreach users on the topo or the ability to send messages via satelite to another inreach.

Can the full sized inreach allow me to send a message to an inreach my wife is using?

22-Apr-21
Both the Mini and Explorer can send inreach to inreach messages.

22-Apr-21
The mini will do everything you need. Sync it with your phone and download the Earthmate maps.

22-Apr-21
With the mini can you type message with out cell phone or must you have synced to phone to be able to type a message?

22-Apr-21
Either way, John.

22-Apr-21
The mini does it all, never go into the woods without it.

22-Apr-21
^^^ This!

22-Apr-21
Every time you send a text to your Wife, she can track you on the map, by just going online (Peace of mind).

It's more than enough.

22-Apr-21
The mini will work just fine. I bought the Explorer because the price was right. It's a great way for family to know where your at and safe.

22-Apr-21
2nd the mini. I won't leave the trailhead without it. Peace of mind for me thinking about little ones at home as well as my wife knowing I have a way of getting ahold of people.

Mini-mini works well too. I've been able to send out a bull down message to others in our group and they were able to pinpoint exactly where I was at to help pack out.

22-Apr-21
Anyone here compare the ZOLEO to inReach mini?

22-Apr-21
Mini.... Hasn't saved my life yet... But has sure saved my hours of walking...

22-Apr-21
Pair the mini with your cell phone and you've got all you need. You'll need the Garmin App. It's a PIA typing a message on the Mini or Explorer and much easier to send a text via the Garmin app on your phone.

22-Apr-21
For messaging either InReach is fine. You can Bluetooth either to your phone and text. I like ke my explorer because of the maps. Otherwise I’d just have a mini.

22-Apr-21
It worked great pairing it through an IPhone to relay texts even from Kodiak Island. It was nice at least being able to communicate our conditions for our pickup even though we still had to wait and reset camp a few days.

22-Apr-21
The mini is on my "buy" list. Reading the reviews on the Earthmate app leaves much to be desired. Not many good reviews. Is the app that bad?

22-Apr-21
I'd get GAIA GPS for a GPS program and use it. You do need Eaarthmate to pair your phone to the InReach. Good luck with it...I have really liked mine the past 4 yrs. Not the Mini, as they were not available yet, but that is what I'd buy today.

22-Apr-21
I plan on getting the Zoleo. Same network as InReach and better interface for text messages. Less expensive as well.

22-Apr-21
To answer your topic question. YES!

22-Apr-21
Have the mini. I have had times when it didn't synch with my phone. Last fall wife responded to my in reach that she had a deer. Mini got it, phone didn't

22-Apr-21
Mini will be just right

23-Apr-21
I’ve had the regular one for 7 or 8 years and haven’t had any problems. Sure would like the mini just for the sake of something smaller and a little lighter. These things are worth every penny...especially if you hunt solo.

23-Apr-21
Bob in NH, I've had the same issues. Do you have Android or iOS?

23-Apr-21
When you pair the mini with your phone, text messages are sent via satellite. This is handy is there is no cell service. If you use the mini, any texts can include your location. Download the appropriate Earthmate app to your phone. You can then download USGS maps of the area you will be in. Your phone can then be used as a GPS. It's a handy little device.

23-Apr-21
As long as you don’t need the gps you have no need for the bigger unit. I was in the same position as you. I found a barely used mini for $100 so I bought it. It’s actually the DeLorme model so not even a Garmin. Used it elk hunting and works every bit as good as my partner’s Explorer. Go for it!

23-Apr-21
Costco usually has a bundle price that includes the subscription which saves you about $50. Also it doesn’t take long to eat through the minimum text messages if your contacting a transporter or whatever. I buy the unlimited package now. Great unit

23-Apr-21
I love the mini, I pay for the unlimited text plan but only have it active about 4-5 months out of the year...

23-Apr-21
One feature I forgot to mention is that you can establish an account with Garmin Inreach on set up. You can then sync the unit with your phone and the website to save everything and then see your tracks, trails, waypoints, etc on the map. I always carry a USGS map. The map that I download is the same as the paper map in my hand.

23-Apr-21
can you mark waypoints with the mini?

23-Apr-21
RE Midwest, I have the mini and Android phone. I run at best maybe 50% of the messages hit my phone. My wife's deer message hit the mini and it "beeped", I could read it, it was on the Web app later, but it never made it to my phone, even with repeatedly using the "synch now" feature.

23-Apr-21
I have an iPhone. No problems at all syncing with the mini.

My partner ditched his gps to go with the Explorer only. I don’t care for that idea because I consider the unit to be strictly for an emergency and communication. Don’t want to draw down the battery even though recharging at night isn’t a problem. Also I have decades of waypoints in my Garmin 650 gos so I’m not getting rid of it. I’d use OnX on my phone before I considered buying an Explorer. Besides as a gps it’s not nearly as nice. No color, no touch screen.... and definitely too small of a screen. Love my mini. Love my gps. Love OnXmaps.

23-Apr-21
Bob H, same phone and issues as me.

23-Apr-21
Still curious if you can mark waypoints with the mini? I would use it just as emergency backup.

23-Apr-21
Thanks to everyone for the good information. I just started researching the Inreach this week. I spend way to much time hunting and fishing alone to not own one of these.

23-Apr-21
Just make sure you update it before you go on the field! Mine stopped sending texts once, but could send emails. Found out it was because I didn’t update it before going out

23-Apr-21
Sivart, I don't use my Inreach as a stand alone GPS, I have it paired to my Iphone & use the Earthmate App mapping that Garmin provides free of charge. Its been a great App. With it paired/bluetoothed to my Iphone I now use it as the GPS as the Iphone screen is much larger. I have 100% confidence in its accuracy as I've had it now for 3 years. I've had zero issues sending text messages, it's not as quick as phone to phone but generally 10-15 minutes is the longest its taken to receive a response.

I only text maybe 10 times in a hunting season so the larger package for that doesn't interest me plus I believe its .25 per text after the allotted free ones. If I sent a hundred extra ones it's only 25.00 more. Not a big deal, this unit was not designed for social media use! All in all, it's a great device!

ElkNut

23-Apr-21
CBennett - One of the best things about the InReach is that it sends the coordinates of your location when you send a text. That's at least a starting point for SAR if things take a turn for the worst. It also has SOS that hopefully you'll never need.

23-Apr-21
The nice thing as well with the Inreach is you can turn the Coordinate Function off if you do not want the person you are texting to know where the message is sent from!

ElkNut

23-Apr-21
I found that I need to turn the bluetooth and app on the phone before I turn the mini on and then I get all of the messages, if I turn the mini on first some messages don't come to the phone but they are still on the mini. It sucks to type on the mini but it is easy to read messages on it, as long as I have a pair of glasses......

23-Apr-21
So does the recipient have to have the app to see your coordinates?

23-Apr-21
Midwest, yes you can add and mark waypoints. I nearly always use the screen on the phone, but you can navigate with just the Mini. Screen is small, that's all.

24-Apr-21
I think that was supposed to be directed to Sivart?

24-Apr-21
^^^ Yes. my mistake. You two look so much alike in print.

24-Apr-21
AZ8, The recipient does not need the app to see where you are, they need to have internet and when they click the ballon icon it takes them to Garmin maps and it shows your location there.

24-Apr-21
Any synching issues with messages will not be the fault of the InReach, but rather the smartphone.

24-Apr-21
cool! thanks mrelite.

24-Apr-21
Does anyone know how many waypoints the mini will store? I like to always mark my truck location with a GPS when dayhunting, just as a backup. In case phone goes dead or craps out.

24-Apr-21
Here's what Garmin says!

The Mini can also store 500 waypoints and 20 routes.

ElkNut

01-May-21
When communicating in-reach to another in-reach will the mini serve as a gps to locate and direct you to the other persons location?

01-May-21
I have the InReach mini paired with an Android phone. Sometimes I don't get my messages in my phone but I've learned to check the InReach frequently. Other than that it works great. I'll have to experiment with what order I turn my phone and InReach on and see if there's a difference.

I scouted and hunted solo for 5 weeks straight in Colorado last fall and between that and the previous year I sincerely believe that the InReach has preserved my relationship with my girlfriend.

02-May-21
Wow. This really took off. Update, I have been using the mini for the last week. Using the basics cheap plan with only preset. To mark point I just send the all good message to my contacts, which are myself and my wife for now. Then I can go back and enter my location.

Have not experimented with blue tooth link. Maybe when I get some free time.

But so far it was the right decision!

• Sitka Gear