Treeline 27-Apr-21
Dale06 27-Apr-21
Potro 27-Apr-21
Buffalo1 27-Apr-21
sleddogpa 27-Apr-21
27-Apr-21

sleddogpa's embedded Photo
sleddogpa's embedded Photo
Do to the great COVID we had to postpone our annual trip to Diamond C last year. We went with the hopes of scoring on some velvet axis bucks but as any hunt goes it doesn’t always go the way you think it should. The axis were there just not where we were. The other interesting critter of opportunity was nilgai. I decided that would be the top of my list. We set up a new blind in the area he was hanging out in and couldn’t wait for the first sit. I got in the blind and about 45 minutes later I look out and there he is. 12 yards from the blind standing next to the cedar tree we had nestled the blind. The only problem was I needed him to take 3 more steps to clear the shooting lane. The other problem was the wind. It was blowing 20-25 with gust to forty throughout the day the wind was laying down as the evening went on. He took one step and a gust of wind came through and the blind I was in made just a slight noise. I mean the faintest of noises. He looks towards me but I’m buried in this cedar and he takes another step but now he’s on high alert. As he’s standing there another gust come through and once again the blind makes another noise. Well as I’m hoping against hope I can see him load up like a spring about to go shooting out. Well about 10 seconds later he bolts. He knew something wasn’t quite right and he was gone. I was hoping against hope he would come back in but he was gone for the night. I sat in the blind the next three nights with no sign of him anywhere. On night number two I did have three Audad show up. I took a great audad a few years ago and teals wasn’t looking to take another but one of the three was an absolute giant. I mean he was the biggest audad I’ve ever seen. The other thing I noticed was out of the three he was covered in mud. It was everywhere on his horns all over his head his sides. It looked like he was hanging out in a mud pit. When we got back to the lodge at the end of the night I told the story of the audad I had named Joe Dirt. I had taken a couple pics of him and his buddies and from what we could tell he was at least 30” and that if he presented another opportunity well let’s just say I wouldn’t pass him up. The morning was very slow with only a couple fallows coming in so I decided to come in for a quick lunch and get back in the blind til dark. Around 530 I was dozing off and heard something outside the blind. I look out and joe dirt was 20 yards away with a couple buddies. I pick up my bow and get ready for a shot. After a couple minutes he finally presents a shot at about 17 yards. I put the pin on his should and before I know the arrow hits home. They all take off on a dead run. I see my arrow sticking out and immediately started second guessing my shot placement. I let my guid know I just got shot on the big audad and we discuss the shot. He came out about 25 minutes later so we can take a look for him. I get out of the blind and we start discussing where he was and which way they took off. As I’m pointing in the direction I last seen them and about 50 yards from the blind I see him laying. We go up and realize just how massive this guy is. I have officially checked off audad from my list as I don’t think it will be possible to top this guy. I can’t thank Skylar enough for all the hard work over all the years we’ve had the privilege of hunting his ranch. We are booked again next year in hopes of a big axis or if I’m lucky maybe we can outsmart the nilgai.

27-Apr-21
Lol one of the problems posting something long winded when your tired ??

27-Apr-21
That aoudad is a tank, darn near looks like a steer. Nice work!

27-Apr-21
nice I love Nilgai hunting you don't get away with anything with them

27-Apr-21
very cool animal! thanks for sharing

27-Apr-21
Awesome aoudad! Congratulations!

27-Apr-21
Congrats. Aoudad are so ugly, they’re pretty.

27-Apr-21
Great Aoudad!!!! It will make a nice mount. To bad you can't get a nilgai. Nilgai is on top of my list to hunt with a bow. Looks like Diamond C, could be a good alternative for this type of hunt

27-Apr-21
Very nice aoudad trophy. I remember your other one that you got with Skylar.

Gotta go back now to get that nilgai !!

27-Apr-21
Yes Nilgai is now on the top of my list. Very cool lookin critter and from what I was told really good eating. Not that time isn’t flying bye fast enough but I can’t wait for next year to try and get on one again.

• Sitka Gear