Matt 02-May-21
DroptineDC18 02-May-21
Wild Bill 03-May-21
Korey Wolfe 03-May-21
Empty Freezer 03-May-21
Korey Wolfe 07-May-21
lendmarkus8080 27-May-21
27-Apr-21
I need some help. I am getting different arrows and what to make sure I get the right spine.

I'm getting the 5mm Easton Axis. I'm currently shooting the FMJ at 28 3/8th inches with with a 70 pound draw. Usually using a 100 grain point, but with my new set up I'm thinking I will shoot a half out or a brass insert for increased FOC.

So the question, go with a 300 or 340. I'm leaning heavily toward a 300 to make sure I'm stiff enough but wanted some of your thoughts before I invest $130 in another dozen arrows.

27-Apr-21
I'd go with the 300 and wouldn't over think it. You could probably get by with the 340 but I made a similar change to my FOC a few years ago and my Xpedition did not like the 340 with the high FOC at 70# 29". I switched to the 300 and she tuned like a dream.

27-Apr-21
Agree with Brotsky. 300 certainly isn't WAY overspined (if there can even be such a thing when using a release aid) and the 340 might be iffy. I can't see any benefit to trying to get by with the 340...

27-Apr-21
I agree get the 300 arrows.

27-Apr-21
Also, would you go with the brass insert? Or do you have better luck with the half-out to protect the front of the arrow? Looks like the half-out would be almost as good as a footer...

27-Apr-21
I use the Iron Will one in stainless steel.

27-Apr-21
Yup go 300 as you can add weight if too stiff but can’t go backwards but you did not specify your draw length so? My draw is 27.5 and I shoot bows between 65-70 pounds and 340s are good for me with a 100 grain head.

27-Apr-21
I shoot a 28 inch draw and think I'm going with the 300's. No one has tried to sway me the other way at all.

Brotsky - what is your total arrow weight and FOC?

27-Apr-21
300. I’m same draw and weight and that’s what I left the bow shop with after calculating what my total weight was gonna be

27-Apr-21
Spend $12 and get Archers Advantage. Well worth it to look at the effects point weight, fletch type and spine will have. You can dial in the optimum spine and point and tail combination without spending $$$ on shafts.

27-Apr-21
If you really wanted to tinker you could order single arrows from Lancaster and test them out to see what you like best before buying a complete dozen. What is making you want to switch from FMJ to Axis?

27-Apr-21
A bit too stiff arrow is fine and will tune well...a bit too limber arrow is a problem.

27-Apr-21
Korey, with that setup I was around 530 grains and 14%. I have since switched to a lighter # bow and I shoot 465 gr and about 16% FOC.

28-Apr-21
I'd go 300 for sure, and if you want to maybe try a heavier head than 100 grain, a 250 isn't out of the question. Good luck.

28-Apr-21
Aces11, thanks for the tip. I guess I never thought of buying one arrow at a time. I have been using a local archery shop lately to help her stay open. I want my money to stay local if at all possible.

I guess my biggest complaint about the FMJ is the weakness created by the aluminum exterior. Because of our deer numbers, I usually shoot 10-12 deer a year and it seems the FMJ's break like my old aluminum's used to do. Not as bad obviously, I think they seem week during high impact situations.

Second biggest concern with the FMJ is the weight of the shaft in general...I'm not against the extra weight, but it does make increasing my FOC and keeping my bow in tune without losing trajectory a challenge. I increased my FOC last fall and really slowed down my arrows, which resulted in some not so impressive shooting during some of my hunts. I was getting a lot of string jumping...it was great to increase my FOC but I couldn't realize the value of it if the deer was never there to receive my arrow!!!

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. I'm going to order the 300's and get them rigged up. Will try a couple different inserts before I settle on one.

28-Apr-21
I use the 55gr titanium half outs on my Fmj 400s and love them. Gives my great FOC and hit hard.

28-Apr-21
Either will tune, just depends how you cut them and how much weight you put upfront. Buy a couple of each and cut them down, hot melt your components into them and then shoot em. Make changes from there. I always burn an arrow or two when im tinkering with different weight components and arrow lengths to see what tunes out the best.

28-Apr-21
Definitely nice to have a local archery shop, and hopefully can stay open for a long time.

Good luck with the new setup, I am guessing you will be happy. 10-12 deer a year sounds like a lot of fun!

29-Apr-21
Normally heavy arrow helps quiet bow. I shoot high FOC and if you keep everything the same the 300 is the way to go depending on how much point weight. If an outsert and 100 grain head so say 140-150 grain on the front end than a 340 would most likely do. On the other hand the 300 will be a tad stiff with that point weight and I would up it to around 225 grains. 50 grain insert/outsert and 175 grain head. Shawn

29-Apr-21
I would also increase the point weight if you go with the 300’s. You would be fine with 340’s if you keep the 100 grain points. I just switched back to fmj’s after shooting stiff spined Easton hexx shafts. The arrow is really light and I was shooting 200 grains upfront. Shot well but I didn’t like the lighter arrows. Will be shooting 340 fmj’s 125 grain broadhead, 75 grain half out steel insert, 63# 27” arrow.

02-May-21
So my next question becomes which insert or outsert will suit me best. I was thinking of just going with the brass Easton inserts. but the 75 grain half out insert is sounding pretty good. Has anyone experimented with the durability of these two? Does the steel preform well?

02-May-21
im shooting 70lbs, however my draw length is around 27" I'm using easton axis 340's I didnt have the easiest time tuning arrows, and bow, coming from a compound, but after two years i think i have my sep elk recipe. 538gr total weight 125gr broadhead 100gr brass insert arrow lenght - 28.75" foc is around 18% I was shooting around 463gr at 196fps. At 30 yds, the time of flight is way to long for me to take that shot unless a bull was thrashing his antlers in a bush or tree. Ive had an elk turn and jump a full body length when I shot out of fast compound, granted it was 50 yds but still. so now based on arrow speeds out of my recurve around 20yds is my max range. Good news is with the 340's it flies equally well at 463gr, or 538gr

02-May-21
I like the steel half out inserts so far. I used to shoot the HIT 50 grain brass inserts. I’m not a fan of the HIT inserts, especially without some kind of collar over the end of the arrow. I’m using the Easton 75 grain half outs now.

02-May-21
I shot the Ti half outs when I was shooting 4mm Injexions but would not go that direction in a 5mm shaft. HIT would be my preference.

02-May-21
Lots of good info here. I started messing with some new arrow set ups and am having trouble getting my VPA 125 vented to fly even remotely close to my FPs. My new arrows are 300 FMJs and my old ones were CE blue streaks. So the weight change in arrows alone is very significant. Shooting 70ish pounds 29 inch draw. Bow is tuned. I’m just thinking I don’t have enough weight up front and this thread is starting to confirm my thoughts. Why I tried to change something that wasn’t a problem is something I don’t understand.

03-May-21
Korey,

"I increased my FOC last fall and really slowed down my arrows, which resulted in some not so impressive shooting during some of my hunts. I was getting a lot of string jumping...it was great to increase my FOC but I couldn't realize the value of it if the deer was never there to receive my arrow!!!"

How do you attribute your increase in arrow weight to string jumping, when heavier arrows are quieter. Could it be that those shots were farther than usual and though the arrow release was quieter the slower speed accounts for the miss?

03-May-21
Wild Bill, I never chronographed my arrows, but they were a fair bit slower. The drop from my original setup to the new heavier set up was 8 inches at 40 yards and pretty damn scary beyond that. It is possible that the heavier arrows were quieter, but they weren't quiet. So as long as the release was audible then the deer reacted. I actually missed an antelope at 40 yards that ducked and spun out of the way before the arrow passed the buck. I would have for sure had better results with a lighter faster arrow, but I would have still missed that particular buck. I film all my hunts, so I have the luxury to replay all of my shots and see where I was aiming verses where my arrow impacts. Definitely have more "string jump" misses but it's really just a result of slower arrows.

Butcherboy, why do you not like the HIT system and why is the outsert better? I'm leaning towards outsert...but they also aren't cheap!

03-May-21
Check out Victory. They have everything your looking for and have an excellent web site with all the info you need. my .02

07-May-21
Wouldn't a 50 grain brass HIT insert and an Iron Will collar be a sweet set up?!? How would that compare to the outsert?

27-May-21
Parimatch offers a quick one-click betting option. To do this, in the "Coupon" block, select the appropriate item. Next, the user will be prompted to enter the preferred amount. In the “Quick Bets” mode, you can enable the option of agreeing to the change in the odds - without fine settings, as with some competitors (consent only with the increase in odds or by a certain percentage), click here to read more.

• Sitka Gear