altitude sick 28-Apr-21
Oryx35 28-Apr-21
Dogman 29-Apr-21
jingalls 29-Apr-21
altitude sick 29-Apr-21
KHunter 29-Apr-21
altitude sick 29-Apr-21
28-Apr-21
Anyone hunted New Mexico 16 D first season? I’ve successfully hunted a bunch of different states but this will be my first tag in New Mexico for elk. I’m planning on hunting the whole season if needed. Looking at scouting water and good bedding areas.

28-Apr-21
I’ve hunted 15 and 17 a few times in their hay day. I think your strategy of hunting water early is a good one. Also be aware that NM land owners that are issued unit wide tags have to allow all Elk tag holders on their property. They can restrict vehicles. And you can not camp on them. They don’t advertise this and it’s not easy to find the ranch maps but it’s on the NM website.

Look here.

2021 New Mexico Elk Hunting Prospects & Population Summary 2021 New Mexico Elk Hunting Prospects & Population Summary Hunters can use the landowner list to find private land elk authorization. Unit-wide private lands are open to properly licensed elk hunters during each public elk hunt for the sole purpose of hunting elk. Hunters are allowed free, unrestricted, and equal access to unit-wide ranches. Unit-wide ranches are not open for camping. Scouting may occur during legal shooting hours during the two days immediately preceding the start of the hunt.

Interactive Map The interactive map is designed to help elk hunters locate active unit-wide ranches in each GMU for the current license year. Maps provided on this webpage are the department’s best interpretation of the ranch based on property information received from and verified by the landowner.

Private ranches enrolled in the EPLUS program as unit-wide provide additional elk hunting opportunities across the state. These landowners selected the unit-wide hunting option on their EPLUS agreement and received a unit-wide authorization(s) for the current license year. In exchange, they agree to allow public elk hunting access on their private ranch to legally licensed elk hunters in that GMU. Hunters who possess a public draw elk license or a private land unit-wide elk license may access these private unit-wide ranches in addition to the accessible public land in their assigned GMU.

Unit-Wide Rules

Unit-wide private ranches are open during each public elk hunt for the sole purpose of hunting elk. They are not open during any other time of year or for any other purpose. Hunters are allowed free access to the entire unit-wide ranch during their licensed hunt dates, including scouting up to two days immediately preceding the start of their hunt. Landowners and their employees may not interfere with elk hunters while on the ranch and elk hunters are not required to notify landowners or their employees before entering the ranch. Vehicular access may be restricted on the ranch however; it must be equally restricted to all elk hunters, including hunters holding a license purchased with authorizations issued to the ranch. No elk hunter, including hunters holding a license purchased with authorizations issued to this ranch, may drive off-road on a unit-wide ranch except to retrieve legally harvested elk with separate permission from the landowner. Unit-wide ranches are not open for camping. The interactive map (below) is designed to help hunters and landowners find Unit-wide ranches. Click on Units to display a pop-up window of information and clickable links. Print/PDF button (lower map) available at any zoom level.

The map will be taken down in March each year and will be published again in early August before the start of the next hunting season. Unit-Wide ranches are subject to change from year to year.

If borders or tools are missing click to reload map or view mobile map in a new browser window.

28-Apr-21
16D is a great unit, and sitting water can be a solid strategy. The elk in my trophy pics is one of two that I've killed in the unit. This one was sitting water; the other was spot and stalk in a torrential down pour.

If there is rain in the forecast you'll want to be careful about where you camp and drive, as everything that isn't hard pack turns to slop.

29-Apr-21
“They don’t advertise this and it’s not easy to find the ranch maps” They literally do advertise this. How can you say it is not easy to find the maps? A direct link is printed in the regs (where it is advertised). There is a tab on the NM G&F website that says “Hunter Info & Unit Wide Maps”. They are trying really hard to keep you from finding those.

29-Apr-21
PM Sent

29-Apr-21
Sorry dogman you’re right it’s well advertised

29-Apr-21
altitude may be thinking of how it used to be and that was very true, then.

It USED to be hard to get the maps, that was true. I had to do and pay $$ for an open records request for copies of the landowner maps (drawn in crayon it seemed) back in the day--a few years ago.

Much more above board now, thankfully. Now if I could just draw 16D and 15 again....

29-Apr-21
True Khunter , it was back in the hay day of 15 and 17 Approx 12, 15, and 20 years ago Three draws

• Sitka Gear