nchunter 07-Jun-21
t-roy 07-Jun-21
welka 07-Jun-21
JG 07-Jun-21
Dale06 07-Jun-21
skull 08-Jun-21
29-Apr-21
I thought some of you may relate to this true story

Around ‘95 Ted Nugent came out with the spirit of the wild record with a song named Fred Bear. The song immediately became my bow hunting theme song and I jammed it every time I drove to the land to hunt. It pumped me up and I felt it brought me good luck.

Well at the end of the song Fred Bear challenges young thrill seekers to travel to the Northwest Territories to bow hunt grizzly, brown and polar bear .....it will cleanse the soul.

In my 30’s this became my dream hunt. Now 25 years later I’m booked in June with Jonah. Brown bear with the bow.

A couple days ago Jonah was answering some of my questions (he’s been awesome btw, I picked the right outfitter for sure) and I asked him if I need a hand gun. He said - he never goes into bear country without one. I didn’t see this coming

I’m happy to report the cleansing has begun.

29-Apr-21
That’s great. Can’t wait to hear the story. it’s always exciting. somebody going on their dream hunt

29-Apr-21
That is cool story! I got the Cat Scratch Fever at a young age...not sure that it was from Nugent's song though

29-Apr-21
Thanks guys. Maybe I’m weird but I still keep the cassette tape in my truck even though I have no way of playing it. Old uncle Ted. I have to thank him for this

29-Apr-21

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
First saw Nugent back in '76. He almost melted the venue's brand new PA system. Hell of a guitar player and entertainer.

Hope you kill the bear of your dreams, JG!

29-Apr-21
JG that’s awesome!!! So exciting! And I’d say handgun for sure.. I know your probably aware but it’s not the “biggest one you can buy” but the biggest one you can shoot the most proficiently! Good luck!

29-Apr-21
MA - I’m not a big gun guy. In fact at 60 yards I have a better chance at a 12 ring shot at a deer with the bow than a rifle or pistol. I love flooded timber duck hunting and shoot a shotgun well but can’t shoot a rifle worth a darn. Really don’t care to fix it either

My wife and I went through concealed carry class and I bought 3 9mm handguns. Really haven’t shot them much since the class. My buddies think I should take their 10mm. I’ve never shot a hand gun that big. To be honest, I’ve never carried a hand gun on me

I’m thinking of just bringing the 9mm glock with hollow points and stick close to the guide (who has a gun and knows how to use it)

29-Apr-21
Enjoy... you’ll have a great trip with Jonah

29-Apr-21
I agree its more about accuracy and reliability. Would prefer a short barreled double barrel 12 gauge with 3 inch slugs, but in a handgun a Glock 10mm would do the trick with the right bullets(hard cast) and lots of practice at close range. You wont be shooting a bad brown bear at much over 30 ft or so if it comes to that. Also I am just spit balling as I never hunted the big bears but have handled lots of handguns and pistols in the last 38 years!! Shawn

29-Apr-21
I’m same as scoob. I’ve shot tons of handguns. Small to big. .22LR to 454 casull with western style grips (it was aweful). If I was going brown bear I’d probably consider the ruger gp100 in 10mm

29-Apr-21
Good luck, you're in for a great hunt.

You'll have a guide on stand with you at all times (required by law) packing a heavy firearm.

30-Apr-21
If you do take your 9mm be sure to load it with Buffalo Bore Hard Cast bullets. Do not use hollow points for this purpose.

30-Apr-21
Helgermite I’ve always thought the mushrooming of the bullet is what you want to get full energy transfer?

I have some reloads from the gun range with solid tips. I’d guess finding bullets might be tough right now?

I really don’t know much at all about hand guns or bullets. Any help would be appreciated

01-May-21
The Polish army issues Glock 20 10MM to their troops in Polar bear country. 15 rds of 200 gr hardcast Double Tap ammo . I carry the same in a Kenai chest holster up here in the panhandle of Idaho grizzly country.

01-May-21
JG, Jonah gets high marks. A fellow BSer and I are booked for G bear in the Brooks with Jonah next year. Not really familiar with the song but I get the "cleansing effect" of anticipating an adventure of that magnitude. Good luck to you.

05-Jun-21

JG's embedded Photo
JG's embedded Photo
Well Jonah delivered as expected. Absolutely one of the best trips I’ve ever had. I can’t thank him and his wife enough for what they gave me

Took 3 sits but I was blessed with an old bear. Jonah measured it 27” skull and 9’4” square

Everyone in camp had shot at a brown bear when I left. Three more still hunting

Fred Bear was right. It cleanses your soul. I almost fell out of the stand after the shot I was shaking so bad. Seriously my teeth were chattering. Nothing else can give me this feeling

Thanks uncle Ted for your song and a huge hat tip to Jonah Alaskan outfitters.

05-Jun-21
That’s awesome! Congrats.

05-Jun-21
Congratulations! Great bear. And Jonah is excellent!

05-Jun-21
Congratulations! Great bear. And Jonah is excellent!

05-Jun-21
Congrats! Kinda looks like it's missing some teeth?

05-Jun-21
Congrats on a great bear!

05-Jun-21
Congrats!!!!!!!

06-Jun-21
The lower jaw was busted and the big tooth was only hanging on by skin on lower lip. Jonah says he sees it a lot with old bears. Pictures probably aren’t best to post

I can’t imagine the fight that caused this. It will be an interesting part of the story of this bear. He’s also covered in huge scars

06-Jun-21
Congratulations John on the completion of your dream hunt. Awesome bear.

06-Jun-21
So awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

06-Jun-21
Congrats, that's incredible!

06-Jun-21
Congratulations! My dream hunt as well!

06-Jun-21

JG's embedded Photo
JG's embedded Photo
Just cleaned up busted jaw and teeth. Man this had to have been painful.

06-Jun-21
Congrats!

06-Jun-21
Congratulations.

06-Jun-21
Nice...You should take it to the man that did Bojangles cat! Let him duplicate the bear in his elderly but successful 'warrior state' with scrapes, scars, broken jaw, and all.

06-Jun-21
Awesome man!!!

06-Jun-21
Thanks guys. This bear wasn’t about my skills at all. If you choose Jonah’s camp I’m convinced if you can handle the grind of long hours in a stand you’ll get your shot. Everyone in camp got the their opportunity. Some blew the shot. I listened to him on my shot placement and it was huge. Not a middle of middle- but he coached me to 6” behind the leg and 1/4 down from the back. I hit where he told me and it was a double lung. The bear was piled up 50-70 yards.

This hunt was little about me, the only thing I did was put in the butt time in the stand and listened to him and made the shot he coached to

Jonah pulled chips after my hunt. This bear was new. He had never had seen this bear before the day after I shot. The target bear he wanted me to shoot came in the following day after I shot mine.

I’m a big fan of Jonah and really am appreciative of the time he took coaching me

06-Jun-21
What was your broadhead set-up?

07-Jun-21
How did the others blow shots. There is as Much learning in those stories as the is in the drag and skin outcomes

07-Jun-21
WOW JG! What a brute!! I'm heading to Jonah's in '23 and I'm absolutely tickled pink about going. Congrats man!!!

I second Bou's question. Did guys just make bad shots on the bears or squander the opportunity with too much movement?

I took a Blacky with Stickflinger's a few years back. His lower passenger side tooth was blown off and his jaw was broken in 2 places. It had started to heal and he was healthy. Best guess is that he tangled with the wrong Moose calf and momma gave him a swift kick to the kisser.

07-Jun-21
Congrats on successfully fulfilling one of your lifelong dreams, JG!

Would love to see more pics from your hunt!!

07-Jun-21
congrats, i'm also a big fan of Fred Bear's monologue and have dreamed of a brown bear every since I was a teenager. Hoping to make it happen in a couple of years.

07-Jun-21
Wow, congrats on your success! A dream which you'll be able to relive forever. What are you doing with the bear? Mount, rug, tanned hide???

07-Jun-21

JG's embedded Photo
JG's embedded Photo
My broadhead was a 2” rage. Jonah like them and so do I

Jonah was absolutely awesome. I was in awe with his personal trophy’s at his house and his family. First night I slept in his hanger and he spent a lot of time with me answering questions and getting to know each other. He went through trail camera pictures showing me my target bear and where to shoot.

The arrow pointer is where he told me to hit the bear. I did. Mine went about 60 yards

The bear I shot was a new one. Not on film. This one showed up the night after I shout mine at like 1130pm- broad daylight

07-Jun-21
The misses were all hitting the shoulder. Jonah said if you hit the guts he’ll find it. Not what you want obviously but it you hit the shoulder you’re toast

He drilled it in my head to stay 6” back from the arm

07-Jun-21
Congrats JG!! Awesome bear! Jonah said someone shot a stud and glad to see pics of it on here!

I was one of the shoulder guys this year... Bear came in 4 hours after being on stand first night and gave me all the opportunity in the world to shoot him, I was in a ground blind and it was plenty daylight. While at full draw, I found the crease/shoulder and consciously moved back to the lungs as Jonah said shoot them anywhere but the shoulder... So, once settled, I released and arrow hit right where I was aiming, but only got 6" of penetration. My bear was quartering away and only thing I can think is he was quartering away much more than I thought, so I would've had to get further off the shoulder. I was shooting a 2" Sevr at Jonah's recommendation for expandables. My total arrow weigh is 475 grains.

I hunted for 6 more nights that averaged 17 hour sits without another brown coming into the bait and then shot a black bear on my last night. Jonah was great and my brown was also a new bear on the bait and a 9' bear according to Jonah.

07-Jun-21
Great bear, JG...well done!

07-Jun-21

JG's embedded Photo
JG's embedded Photo
DEMO I heard all about you. I had Dan as my guide. I feel horrible for you. The fact that you stuck it out another 6 days at 18 hours a sit tells me volumes about you.

Here are some more pictures. I’m gonna do the skull and a rug. His arm pits are worn and completely scarred up but that rug will tell the story

07-Jun-21

JG's embedded Photo
JG's embedded Photo
Hide

07-Jun-21

JG's embedded Photo
JG's embedded Photo
Front paws amazing

07-Jun-21

JG's embedded Photo
JG's embedded Photo
Front claw

07-Jun-21

JG's embedded Photo
JG's embedded Photo
This hunt was a grind but well worth the effort

The biggest challenge we had was crossing the river. Our camp was directly across the river about 1 mile away. The first trip across took us 2 hours. After that we learned how to run the braids and got it down to 30-45min. I think we had 8 braids to cross. Our new way required a lot more walking but it was an firm sand bars and we could drag the raft in the water instead of over the sandbars. When you went in the water you’d hit this silk soft spots and sink down to your knees. The water was cloudy and there was no way of seeing the soft spots

07-Jun-21

JG's embedded Photo
JG's embedded Photo
Jonah as expected with him had us set up beautiful. Two lock on millennium stands

07-Jun-21

JG's embedded Photo
JG's embedded Photo
Perfectly covered shooting lane to bait. 22 yard shot

07-Jun-21

JG's embedded Photo
JG's embedded Photo
Camp was awesome. Electric bear fence. Cots. Comfortable

The food was plentiful and very good. I was taken care of

My guide Dan was very well organized and focused on getting me a bear. He took spectacular care of my needs. Thankfully he was tough. Man packing out that hide and head would have been impossible for me

07-Jun-21

JG's embedded Photo
JG's embedded Photo
Scenery was amazing

This is up river towards the glacier

07-Jun-21

JG's embedded Photo
JG's embedded Photo
This was looking back from river where we camped. Those falls made awesome background noise for sleeping

07-Jun-21
Great story and beautiful bear. Congrats JG!!!!

07-Jun-21
Freakin awesome John! Congrats!!

07-Jun-21
18 hour sits for a week. Man

07-Jun-21
18 hours is insane for that amount of time. I did a 13 hour yesterday and I thought that was rough!

07-Jun-21
DEMO deserves a hat tip. He can verify and tell you more. My guide said they took turns sleeping (ground blind) and Demo was all in for 18 hrs/day for 7 days.

07-Jun-21
Ok. That’s awesome but not like staying awake in a tree stand for 18 straight. I did not catch that nuance.

07-Jun-21
Congratulations sir, Sounds like an awesome hunt. Start to finish any chance you could tell me an estimate of what it cost to do this trip. I would love to go too.

07-Jun-21
Thanks for posting more pics and info on your hunt, JG. My outfitter killed a big brownie on one of the islands on the peninsula several years ago, and told me he estimated the head/hide on his bear possibly weighed close to 200 lbs. You think that could be similar weight wise to your bear?

07-Jun-21
One heckuva bucket list check off! Within 2” of the World Record brown with bow is crazy big! Going to be a tough one to beat, but I know two guys who will give it a shot next year - can’t wait. CONGRATS!!

07-Jun-21

JG's embedded Photo
JG's embedded Photo
Troy - yes, very possible. That’s what I guessed. There is no way I could have gotten up with that pack. It took two of us to help the guide get up from the ground. My guide thought 150lb. It took two of us huffing just to turn the bear over skinning it

Funny story. Jonah was going to fly it home to help us. We tried getting the head into the belly pan of his plane. It wouldn’t fit. Jonah laughed and said this doesn’t happen very often. Thus my guide skinned the head and we left if for jonah on a snow pile

It was a long day. We got up like 4pm and didn’t get to camp till 2pm the following day. I’ll never forget that 22 hours

07-Jun-21
Great bear, great pics, thanks. I’ll add that Jonah has his stuff together on baiting brown bears. I arrowed one with him three years ago, first sit, at about 3:45 AM. We waited three hours to track it. It was dead and stiff after running about 80 yards. While the guide skinned it, he had a 44 mag in his belt, and he had me hold his 375 H&H and watch for bears. Fun times.

08-Jun-21
Big accomplishment for sure, congratulations, life is very short do what you like today because tomorrow maybe is to late,

• Sitka Gear