Teeton 03-May-21
Teeton 03-May-21
Jethro 03-May-21
APauls 03-May-21
MA-PAdeerslayer 03-May-21
WYOelker 03-May-21
Beav 03-May-21
01-May-21
TRIMBLE, Colo. – A 39-year-old woman was found dead Friday night off U.S. Highway 550 near Trimble, north of Durango, after what Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) officials believe was a bear attack.

An autopsy on the woman will be performed by the La Plata County coroner early next week. The coroner’s office will identify the remains and determine the official cause of death.

The woman, a Durango resident, was believed to have gone walking with her two dogs earlier Friday, according to information provided to the La Plata County Sheriff’s office by her boyfriend. The victim had last communicated with her boyfriend late in the morning.

The boyfriend, whose name has not been released, told the sheriff’s office he returned home around 8:30 p.m. and discovered the two dogs outside of their home, but the woman was missing. He started searching for her and discovered her body around 9:30 p.m. He then called 911 to report the incident.

CPW wildlife officers responded and observed signs of consumption on the body and an abundance of bear scat and hair at the scene.

La Plata County Sheriff’s deputies assisted in the investigation. CPW called in a dog team from the U.S. Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services to search the area.

The dog team quickly found a sow (female) black bear with two yearlings nearby. The bears were euthanized and are being taken to CPW’s Wildlife Health Lab in Fort Collins for a necropsy. DNA evidence from the bears and the scene will be sent to Laramie for testing at the Wyoming Game and Fish Wildlife Forensic & Fish Health Laboratory.

“Bear attacks are extremely rare,” said Cory Chick, CPW Southwest Region manager. “This is a tragic event and a sad reminder that bears are wild and potentially dangerous. Out of an abundance of caution, the bears were removed for public safety. We ask the public to report any encounter with an aggressive bear to CPW.”

Chick asked the public to avoid the area as the CPW investigation with La Plata County continues. Wildlife officers worked throughout the night and into the morning to process the scene, looking for evidence to corroborate it was a wildlife attack.

An examination of the sow’s teeth led wildlife officers to believe she over 10 years old.

CPW has received a few reports from the Durango area of bears becoming active this spring. The majority of these have been sighting reports. On April 19, a resident along the Animas River and La Plata County Road 250 captured a single bear on his game camera and reported that the bear tore down his bird feeder. On March 23, CPW received a report of a bear getting into trash east of Durango off Florida Road.

Bears are active statewide and it is important to be Bear Aware. To learn more about how to be safe in bear country, visit the CPW website.

FATAL BEAR ATTACKS IN COLORADO July 25, 1971: A honeymooning couple was attacked while tent camping near Grand Lake in Grand County. A large older bear entered the tent, injured the woman and pulled the 31-year-old man away from the campsite. The man was killed. The bear was later found and destroyed. Further examination of the black bear found that it had worn, abscessed teeth and a plastic bucket in its stomach.

Aug. 10, 1993: A 24-year-old Buena Vista man was attacked and killed after a male bear broke into a camper 20 miles north of Cotopaxi in Fremont County, presumably in a search for food. The camper tried to stop the attack by shooting at the bear, but it only injured the animal. The bear was injured by a bullet that grazed its rib cage, possibly increasing the intensity of the attack. A 250-pound, very aggressive male black bear with a fresh bullet wound to the rib cage was trapped and destroyed six days later. A necropsy on the bear revealed human remains in its digestive system.

Aug. 7, 2009: A 74-year-old woman was killed and partially eaten by a bear or bears at her home near Ouray, in Ouray County. As sheriff's deputies were investigating the scene, they were approached by a 250-pound, 5-year-old male black bear that exhibited aggressive behavior. Deputies shot and killed the bear after it approached them and showed no fear of people. Results of the necropsy on that bear were inconclusive as to whether it was involved in the original incident. Early the next morning, federal wildlife officers killed a 394-pound, mature male black bear that approached the home and exhibited aggressive behavior. A necropsy on the large older boar revealed human remains and remnants of clothing in its digestive system. A CPW investigation determined the victim illegally fed bears through a fence in her yard.

01-May-21
Very sad. With the continued restrictions on bear hunting and resultant growth in population, I fear we will see more of this in the years to come.

01-May-21
How many bears are in Colorado?

17,000 to 20,000 bears, according to an estimate from the CPW in 2016. That was up from estimates of 12,000 bears in prior years. Bears can be both solitary and elusive, making it difficult to pinpoint population numbers. In Colorado, state officials extrapolate information about bear populations in small areas to larger areas.

01-May-21
Time to open up the spring bear season in Colorado

01-May-21
Brandon, that will never happen. Loss of Spring bear hunting was per State Ballot Initiative. It would take a Legislative turn about to make that change, and if introduced, the bill would never get out of committee. We do have a Fall season.

01-May-21
Lots of bears down there, my sister lives in town and has them in her yard often. Heading down there tomorrow to look for turkeys, glad they found the bear.

02-May-21
And bears are not the reason for the low survival of elk calves in SW Colorado. It’s bow hunting. Better cut more archery elk tags...

Wait till the wolves get dropped off down there! When the big game herds all crash, they will have to really cut the tags so the bears and wolves are well fed!

02-May-21
A very similar thing happened here in Pa moma with cubs. Person walking dogs. I'm guessing dogs irritated mom. Thats what happened here.

02-May-21
When did that happen Teeton? I missed that. Where abouts?

02-May-21
MA-PAdeerslayer, heres it.

https://www-newsweek-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.newsweek.com/pennsylvania-lycoming-county-black-bear-bear-attack-game-commission-chris-1258578?amp_js_v=a6&_gsa=1&=1&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA%3D%3D#aoh=16199989532299&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&_tf=From%20%251%24s&share=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.newsweek.com%2Fpennsylvania-lycoming-county-black-bear-bear-attack-game-commission-chris-1258578

02-May-21
I cant get it to work right.

Goggle Pa woman attacked by bear hiking with dogs

02-May-21
Well, why the hell was the bear hiking with dogs??

02-May-21
He likes dogs, who doesn't??

02-May-21
2019 bow elk season Colorado I walked up on a sow with Cubs feeding on a dead elk carcass, this happened fast, by the time I figured out what was going on she charged, luckily for her and me she turned back at the point of no return, I had squeezed the trigger on the 40 cal to the point I expected it to go off about at her turn, hair raising...and I’ll never forget the sound of teeth popping and the moan not to mention the dirt flying.

03-May-21

Teeton's Link
Now that I have a computer instead of my phone let try this again.

https://www.newsweek.com/pennsylvania-lycoming-county-black-bear-bear-attack-game-commission-chris-1258578

03-May-21
My guess is if your with dogs and come upon sow with cubs. Leave the dog and try to get away. Don't try and get your dog. They (dog) have a much better change of getting away. Hopefully your dog sees your going away and stop harassing the bear.

03-May-21
The same woman in Teeton's link had her dog killed by a bear in their yard last October.

03-May-21
Man that's sad.

03-May-21
That dog never learned its lesson..

03-May-21
Paul, I thought CPW concluded we currently have around 22,000 to 24,000 bears? I could have swore that this was the number? I also remember talking to the biologist running the predator study in 22. He said that DNA data suggested that the population was likely closer to 30,000. Simply put they can not get good data from the front range due to habitat fragmentation.

Several people with the CPW have confirmed the number is likely closer to 30,000. But officially they state the lower numbers.

03-May-21
Terrible news. Prayers for her family.

• Sitka Gear