Pat Lefemine 04-May-21
'Ike' (Phone) 04-May-21
DanaC 04-May-21
JL 04-May-21
Pat Lefemine 04-May-21
JL 04-May-21
Mad Trapper 04-May-21
04-May-21
Anyone running solar for your TrailCam? Pro’s, con’s…Brand?

04-May-21
I got 4 or 5 of the Moultrie solar panels. I don't think they work too well. The interface between the panel and the cam is not very good. With some of the cams, you can't tell if the solar panel is connected and/or providing power.

I think they are a great idea but you would need to confirm it will do what it's supposed to. Also.....if you're in the northwoods where it snows.....they can become useless when the snow covers the panel.

I did see a Browning solar panel last week somewhere in my travels but don't know anything about them.

The newest Camofire email tonight has a couple of trailcam solar panels on sale.

https://www.camofire.com/index.php/Deals/70

04-May-21
Thanks JL, yes the CamoFire is where I’ve seen them also…Also, I run Brownings and know about theirs, just wondering if they actually worked…

04-May-21
Nice in theory but I put my cams in thickets where sunshine is sparse at best. Suck it up and buy good batteries.

04-May-21
I did a video on trail cam power options. I never had luck with the solar units. I love the battery boxes however.

04-May-21
Pat, do you have a link for that? Thanks

04-May-21

04-May-21
Nice…Thanks

04-May-21
Good video!

Does that Moultrie battery box work with other brands? Or do others have brand-specific battery packs?

04-May-21
Those Moultrie CPP's are what I have. I would not buy them again. I haven't tried the Moultrie battery box yet. If they also work on these Boly cams I've also been using, I might consider trying them.

04-May-21

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
I don't know if the Moultrie Battery Boxes will work with other cams, but I suspect they will. They use a standard power connector and I imagine if yours is different you could probably get an adapter from Amazon. You need to see what your camera accepts for an external power connection. Moultrie uses the standard 5.5mm x 2.1mm plug.

Also, they are coming out with a new box that has both the battery and the lid is a solar charger that will keep the battery charged as well. I will be reviewing it shortly. It sounds fantastic!

04-May-21

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
Pat...I was going to mention on last night's Camofire, there is/was a HME solar panel that is on sale there. It says it works for all cams. The solar battery box on sale only works on Stealth and Bushnell cams.

I'd have to check the Boly pin and power requirements and see if it's a 12v or a 6v system. I don't run cell cams so I'm not sure I'd need to invest in a battery box just yet. I don't live too far from the cams anyway.

I use the lithiums and buy them in bulk on Ebay. I can usually get them for 90 cents or less per battery in bulk. They can last from summer thru the Nov/Dec timeframe.

04-May-21
I have a lot of the cuddeback wireless units. I tried the solar panels with no luck. Back up battery boxes are the way to go.

• Sitka Gear