SteveB 05-Oct-23
Coyote 65 05-Oct-23
DanaC 06-Oct-23
Aspen Ghost 06-Oct-23
wildwilderness 09-Oct-23
SteveB 09-Oct-23
APauls 11-Oct-23
04-May-21
I would like to hook up a couple trail cameras via satellite if possible. We've got some buildings way out in remote northern MB I'd like to monitor. Grizzlies, polars and the odd 2 legged intruder. I presume I'd need to hook it up to solar to keep batteries charged. The costs of flying in are so great it makes $ sense to know ahead of time if there's been any damage and you need materials etc.

Anyone know of a system like this?

04-May-21
I've never heard of any trail cams that use satellites to communicate. I imagine it would be cost prohibitive.

04-May-21
Didn't know if there's a way to jury-rig a cellular trail camera to hook into an already existing satellite to cellular connection or something creative of that nature. Figured bowsite has the smartest of the smart surely somebody has thought of something? ;)

04-May-21
Could you put a satellite and have a satellite internet connect then transfer images through that similar to home/business security camera you can view over the internet? That would take power I would think you could keep batteries charge easy enough in the summer and almost impossible in winter with solar.

04-May-21
I have a feeling you’ll be able to do this using Elon Musks Starlink Internet network soon. WiFi via satellite Internet and solar powered WiFi security camera.

04-May-21
Sounds like a brilliant business opportunity for Uncle Sam…

We have all of these incredibly sophisticated satellites up there taking pictures of the ground all the time, so why shouldn’t the military sell images of non-sensitive locations?

I guess they would have to dumb it down a little bit so that no bad guys would know exactly what they’re capable of....

05-May-21
Sounds like a limited, 'elite' market. You'd need it for an area so remote there's no cell service, and difficult to get to, to manually change out memory cards. And you'd need money by the gobful.

But heck, people buy watches that make a Rolex look like a Mickey Mouse special, so...

05-May-21
Heard a funny factoid on the radio the other day...

1972 brought forth the first digital wristwatch, with a list price of $2100....

Same as a Chevy Nova. But I’ll bet at that price you didn’t get the V-8!

05-May-21
I can't help wonder what a pristine example of that "first digital wristwatch, with a list price of $2100" would sell for today at auction.

05-Oct-23
Starlink for internet. Solar for keeping starlink antenna and router up and running. A mesh network to support wifi security cameras. Possible. Expensive. A pain to install and get working. Did I say expensive?

Terry

05-Oct-23
Sounds like you want security cameras rather than game cameras if you just want to monitor buildings. There are many security camera systems that can be monitored remotely via the web and they really aren't very expensive ( a few hundred bucks). Starlink will provide you with the internet access if available in that part of MB (it might not be). With solar panels and battery storage I'm guessing you could get it all setup for 2 to 3 grand. Ongoing costs would be the starlink subscription.

05-Oct-23
One of my employees just got Starlink and loves it. He had no internet prior....and now has blazing speed. $129 a month after a $700 investment.

05-Oct-23
I have Starlink. Had it for close to 2 years. Prior to Starlink I had Direct TV internet, Hughes net, Viasat. Starlink is by far the best. Fastest, no data caps, and about the same per month as the others. Better in snow as the antenna has a heater. Better in the rain too. Had to put the antenna in the top of a pine to get an unobstructed view of the northern sky. Only problem I have had was the cable from the antenna to the router went bad.

Download speed varies between 50 and 150. Viasat was the best before that with 12.

Terry

06-Oct-23
It would be interesting to hear what the OP ended up doing.

06-Oct-23
Crap, another old thread resurrected by an AI bot.

09-Oct-23
^^^^There is the AI bot

09-Oct-23

SteveB's embedded Photo
SteveB's embedded Photo

11-Oct-23
I'm putting in cameras at the lodges and StarLink became available up there this past year so we have it. The problem with running it all winter in -50 would be the battery drain as I'd need to keep both the StarLink and router going. We'll see. Might do it, but the main problem where I have vandals is at smaller outposts where we don't have elaborate solar setups.

• Sitka Gear