pav 20-Jun-21
MOBEN 20-Jun-21
Bill in MI 20-Jun-21
Cheesehead Mike 20-Jun-21
Matt 20-Jun-21
Cheesehead Mike 21-Jun-21
TREESTANDWOLF 24-Jun-21
06-May-21
Iowa NR application period is now open , close June 6 at midnight, Apply for a tag in the draw process and add a point you don't draw or be a hardcore point collector and just buy the preference point.

06-May-21
They went up another $10 on the preference point fee.....BASTARDS!! (I figured I’d beat somebody else to the punch)

06-May-21
Part of the master plan to weed out the riff raff and only have the well heeled apply.

06-May-21
i have 6 points now i just need a plan....

06-May-21
What is a preference point for Iowa deer hunting???? J/K J/K :-)

06-May-21
I have 4 points, and will need to come up with a plan in the next couple of years.

06-May-21
I got 3 but drew a great special hunt elsewhere this year, so no need for a 2021 Iowa tag. Can grab a 4th point for use next year. A fine luxury.

06-May-21
I have 5 and buying another. Alberta instead, maybe....

07-May-21
I'm excited to apply and daydream of maybe drawing again.

Good luck, Robb

07-May-21
I bought my first Iowa point this year. Can I buy one more next year and hope to draw on my 3rd year?

07-May-21
Unlikely check out the drawing statistics on the DNR website.I expect this year to be more applicants as people hesitated in the 2020 pandemic also

07-May-21
TIMH........It depends on which zone you apply for.

07-May-21
5 points virtually guarantees you will draw. I wouldn't be throwing good money away by buying another point. But maybe I have less disposable income than you folks. LOL.

07-May-21
I got a couple of GOOD friends that own farms in Iowa, I might start putting in for points again. I got bit by the elk hunting bug BAD and have been totally obsessed by them the past few years. T-Roy, you know what I mean......LOL

07-May-21
No friends with farms in Iowa but do have 5 deer preference points there. If anyone wants to swap a Arkansas duck hunt rice fields and timber I’m all ears.

07-May-21
Southern Draw I know a couple guys that might be interested in that but the duck hunting would have to be real they're zone 4 farmers and the deer hunting is definitely excellent.

07-May-21
Another guy with 5 points and still no plan lol

07-May-21
I'm a longbow guy that would prefer to hunt from a saddle and would prefer to pay a landowner where I could move about and set up myself...DIY

07-May-21
4nolz I sent you a pm.

07-May-21
I haven’t decided on a zone yet. I’m just trying to get to Iowa, I don’t need it to be the number 1 unit.

07-May-21
Questions on the Iowa draw- Can you put in as a group/party? And do they average points if you do?

07-May-21
wildwilderness, you can apply in a party, but the guy with the lowest number of points will be what you all have basically. That is the way I understand it.

07-May-21
In party application if 1 person doesn't draw the whole party doesn't draw

07-May-21
I have a place to go, zone 4, but only 2PP

07-May-21
Maxracx... I sure do!......Tim owns even more ground now, than he did the last time you were down here! ;-)

08-May-21
I have plenty of points and had a plan. But, I had the opportunity to pick the brain of a very successful resident public land hunter and decided to change direction. Just waiting a year or two so a couple buddies can catch up.

08-May-21
Good luck to those who apply for the draw.

08-May-21
Thisismyhandle there are great hunts to be had outside of the hard to draw ones but keep in mind as a whole Iowa has the least amount of public land of any state. If your interested in a public land hunt pick a unit and take a spring Turkey trip out there to scout it.

08-May-21
I say don't bother with the hard draw areas(4 points or more) look around!! Lots of good bucks in other areas and lots of public to be had ecsp if you are not lazy and willing to work to get into some spots. I applied, figure give it a shot and if I don't draw(very likely)I will still get a point. Shawn

08-May-21
you drew last year why waste the $, should have just bought a point the State sucks up the $$

08-May-21
Leo17, once I get closer to going I’ll definitely be looking to go out there ahead of time to scout. I have all winter off work so finding time isn’t a issue. No clue how the landowners are out there but I’d probably knock on some doors too.

08-May-21
For those with plenty of points, can you skip a year without losing your points?

08-May-21
Barron114....... Yes. I’m pretty sure you don’t lose your points even if you don’t apply for several years.

10-May-21
Just went last year and HIGHLY recommend it. Just bought my first point for my next hunt.

16-May-21
I don’t envy you guys with points and no plan. I’m lucky have hunted there since the 90’s, don’t live far away and job travel includes the whole state (pre-Covid!) allowing me to scout a lot. And I’m still not satisfied, and scouting for something better!

16-May-21
I was going to apply this early AM but I think I will wait for the Wyo Elk results this week and the Nv. results and then go for my Iowa appl. and Wyo deer appl.

Good luck, Robb

16-May-21
What he said.

16-May-21
I did draw last year but I am out no money I'd I don't draw. I just don't get 65 bucks back for my point. I am hoping to draw every 3 years or so. As far as not being happy with Iowa public, can anyone name a better state for true giants on public. I don't mean the rare occasions, I mean overall success. It's not Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio. Maybe ND is an up and comer but Iowa does a great job of not giving out way to many NR tags!

16-May-21
Just bought my point today. I had a great hunt last year!

16-May-21
How much was the point Bowboy? They keep 2.5% of unsuccessful fees for "handling"

16-May-21
I love hunting Iowa but can’t wait 4 plus years. I hunt every other year, but with the Muzzleloader, mainly because it’s a true late season hunt as well.

16-May-21
Is was $64.58 total.

16-May-21
Dang I thought they were $50.A bow tag now is over $1000?

17-May-21
If I remember right, Kansas results are out before the Iowa deadline. I have the points to draw West IA again, but might just get a point as there's a chance I'll draw a November blacktail tag.

17-May-21
I applied for Kansas and will apply for Iowa and should draw. I already have an Arizona elk tag in my pocket so it should be a fun fall.

17-May-21
You’re sure taking full advantage of your retirement, Mike!

17-May-21
Yes I am t-roy!

03-Jun-21
I did not apply for Kansas (with 2 points) and was on the fence about Iowa (with 4 points). After talking to the landowner in Iowa last weekend, decided to go for it. Should be a slam dunk draw...hopefully there are no COVID related surprises!

03-Jun-21
Pav no worries in Iowa, I hunted last Oct/Nov and they had the highest positivity rate in the country in the county I was in. Like 36% and there were little to no restrictions, very few even wearing masks.. Shawn

03-Jun-21
Hey Shawn, sorry my post wasn't very clear...more concerned about point creep due to Covid concerns during last year's draw cycle.

03-Jun-21
You'll be ok with 4 points

18-Jun-21
Draw results are up. Looks like I drew with 4 points

18-Jun-21
Drew for a late season ........( Muzzleloader)

Good luck to those who draw the bow tags.

Wish I could wait that long!

18-Jun-21
Good luck, Leo and Rich!

18-Jun-21

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Some of my best mornings watching the deer coming back to bed during the late season.
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Some of my best mornings watching the deer coming back to bed during the late season.
TREESTANDWOLF, you do know you can use your bow with that late muzzy tag right. I loved late season bow hunting in iowa.

18-Jun-21
Late season zone 5 for me. Nice to be back hunting on my farm again!

18-Jun-21
Pretty sure only residents can use archery gear in the muzzy season

18-Jun-21
I believe archery gear can be used by nonresidents during late muzzleloader season. Not sure about the early muzzy season.

18-Jun-21
Yes. NR can use late season the way I understand it.

18-Jun-21
During the late muzzleloader season, deer may be taken with a muzzleloading rifle, muzzleloading musket, muzzleloading pistol, muzzleloading revolver, any handgun as defined in 106.7(2), crossbow as described in 106.7(1)"b," or bow as described in 106.7(1). All muzzleloaders as described in this subrule shall only shoot a single projectile between .44 and .775 of an inch.

18-Jun-21
I drew. Gonna be busy this fall.

18-Jun-21
drew zone 5,,, yee haw!

18-Jun-21
Headed back to Zone 6!

18-Jun-21
Didn't draw with 3 points in zone 4

19-Jun-21
Drew first gun zone 5 with 2 points.

19-Jun-21
Drew Zone 5 archery with 5 points. Glad I bought the 5th point last year. Outfitter told me this morning he had a few guys planning to hunt this year with 4 points not draw. Is the “Covid Creep” hitting Iowa?

19-Jun-21
Looks like 395 people drew zone 5 with 4 points. But the report doesn't reveal the number of apps per point class. No one drew zone 5 with 3 points though.

https://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/Hunting/nrd_draw.pdf

19-Jun-21
Thx T-Roy!

20-Jun-21
Just when you thought COVID was on the outs....

Well, I'm not really sure how to say this. We were wrong! Wow that was tough. The golden tickets of Iowa have been distributed, but shockingly there are some dreams that were shattered today as point creep has invaded the Iowa archery tags once again. I'm not sure how wide spread this issue is, but we had some of our clients with 4 points that did not draw a tag in Zone 6 this year which has blown our mind. We knew things may be a little tougher in the draw this year with a lot of people sitting COVID out in 20200, but being we had multiple 3 point draws we never thought there way anyway that 4 points was not a guaranteed tag. In this age of information there is no tag that can hide from the CREEP, and its really depressing especially if you apply out west like me. Congrats to everyone that drew there tag and my sympathy goes out to those that were taken out by the creep.

I received this from an outfitter friend,

Robb

20-Jun-21
Saw that Robb. Last year, roughly 30% of the Zone 6 tags went to the 3pt pool. This year, a big fat zero. My hunting partner was on the fence until the deadline, so we applied separately with 4pts each. Fortunately, we both got lucky.

20-Jun-21
Lots more outfitters opening up in zone 6. More competition in an area that did not a lot of tags to begin with.

20-Jun-21
Zone 5, 4 points did not draw. Lot of guys banked points last year and now there's a bunch of guys with 5 that will draw next.

20-Jun-21
Yeah, those who did not draw zone 5 with 4 points this year will most likely apply next year and draw with 5 points. So if we add the number of applicants who draw zone 5 next year with 5 points to the 395 who drew with 4 points this year we'll have an estimate of how many applicants there were with 4 points this year and we'll be able to retroactively calculate what the approximate odds were of drawing this year with 4 points.

20-Jun-21
Mike, does that account for people who are just building points and didn't apply for a tag this year? That seems to be the unknown that foils draw odds estimates in some other states.

21-Jun-21
No it doesn't. Iowa is a guess at best because they don't provide the points breakdown for the unsuccessful applicants. There are several variables and unknowns.

24-Jun-21
Thx T-Roy!

• Sitka Gear