DanaC 11-May-21
Rut Nut 11-May-21
LBshooter 11-May-21
LBshooter 11-May-21
butcherboy 11-May-21
JL 11-May-21
Surfbow 11-May-21
09-May-21
This just happened on April 9th. If ya haven't seen it before, watch the whole video. He does a great job explaining what happened and how he survived. If you ever find yourself with a serious arrow wound, this may be useful. Guy is lucky to be alive!

09-May-21
Very lucky to be alive! Note to self, no military surplus ammo.

09-May-21
Wow!! Quite a video and lucky guy! Makes me think of the thousands of rounds I put through a .50 cal. over 50 years ago as a TC in armor. Those were mounted on the turret, not hand held.

10-May-21
Wow, that is crazy. I'm glad it didn't turn out worse for him.

Did I understand him correctly that that particular round was somehow loaded with much more powder than it should have been? Was it something someone did, or did it come from the factory that way? I've shot quite a lot of military surplus .50, now I'm looking at my supply and wondering if there is a way to check it? I wonder how much it weighed (whole cartridge) compared to a standard round?

10-May-21
Stuff could be 30 years old or ? Not sure what could have happened to the powder over the years. I understand that millions of 'old surplus' rounds are shot every year, but "No thanks!"

10-May-21
Also, the screw threads giving way on the breech of that gun, even at 60% over rated pressure, makes me wonder about the design.

10-May-21
Many modern ML's have screw in breechs. I always double check my powder loads in the powder measurer. This vid is a great reminder.

10-May-21
Lesson or moral of the story is don't shoot old ammo that you know nothing about. He is so very lucky to be alive, and thankfully his father was there or he'd be dead. I like his videos but some of these you tube guys are playing with fire to get viewers, not wise or worth your life.

10-May-21
Breech system looked kind of sketchy to me. Even a muzzy has a solid wall behind it.

10-May-21
I know it was a life and death mishap, but when he said he stuck his thumb into his neck to plug up his jugular, that sounded like a line from the movie Major Payne.

11-May-21
"Many modern ML's have screw in breechs."

Unless you're using a progressive-burning powder (aka modern 'smokeless' rifle powder) you won't generate the same pressures.

I own a Savage ML-II and it is capable of using smokeless powders. Messed with it a bit and decided to stay safe. I'm not hunting buffalo! And supposedly a few of these guns have failed. Not looking to add a 'story'.

11-May-21
"Many modern ML's have screw in breechs."

Unless you're using a progressive-burning powder (aka modern 'smokeless' rifle powder) you won't generate the same pressures.

I own a Savage ML-II and it is capable of using smokeless powders. Messed with it a bit and decided to stay safe. I'm not hunting buffalo! And supposedly a few of these guns have failed. Not looking to add a 'story'.

11-May-21
Prolly using duplex loads and got it wrong.

JonK

11-May-21
He stated in the video that it was old military stuff. The problem with that is you don't know how it was stored over the years. Extreme heat?

11-May-21
Yeah, JL- was thinking the same thing! It was a miracle he was able to stay conscious and able to put enough pressure on it to make it to the hospital while his dad drove!

I don;t know if I would ever have enough "nerve" to shoot a rifle after that! : (

11-May-21
The screw in breech wasn't the issue , the round he was shooting was triple charged, and no breech is going to holdup to that.

11-May-21
The screw in breech wasn't the issue , the round he was shooting was triple charged, and no breech is going to holdup to that.

11-May-21
Incredible story! He was definitely being watched over and had great medical care.

11-May-21
I went back and watched the beginning of the vid again. There were warning signs something was up with these old rounds....yet he kept shooting them. He said they're not made anymore and cost about $100 each.

11-May-21
ooooh man, ouch!

• Sitka Gear