Matt 12-May-21
Matt 12-May-21
JohnMC 12-May-21
KB 12-May-21
Pforward 12-May-21
Nick Muche 13-May-21
squirrel 13-May-21
12-May-21
I drew my goat tag this year and have been playing with different components of packs, pouches etc striving for hands free cliff climbing ability and bow/string/sight protection. I figured someone of you fellows have probably played with some of these same issues and was curious what sleeving, strapping, and clipping rigs have worked for you or also what did NOT work as intended. Pics would always be appreciated especially if you custom made something which worked.

After yesterday's playing all I can say is my T/D recurve is looking REALLY good right now!

I have some ideas for a custom rig and need a lightweight arrow protection sleeve to fit in as a separate component of the over-all system giving the arrows extra protection and everything else protection from the Broadheads (but am leaning towards storing them separately). Have any of you made or bought anything you could recommend? I was thinking of a "plans tube" like are used for storage of blueprints on a job site keeping them dry.

Thanks for any and all feedback you may offer.

12-May-21

JTreeman's embedded Photo
JTreeman's embedded Photo
I’m not sure about all the custom this or that. I would this was a BC goat hunt, Kifaru Grab-it and one strap across the riser. Plenty secure for me. Did have kuiu string protector, but nothing covering sights etc. For long pack in/out I do wrap a shirt or something around bottom cam.

I don’t carry extra arrows while I hunt, but I have packed in arrows both in a tube and just rubber banded together (without broad heads attached), and left them at a base camp.

I guess my recommendation is keep it simple.

—Jim

12-May-21
Ok I never hunted goats. But if you have a removable sight, would it be wise to keep it wrapped in something and in your pack when hiking?

12-May-21
Scoot—yeah, not so much worried about the strap in the bow sting, was more worried about laying pack down, slipping and falling, etc and sting catching a sharp rock. I’m generally not a fan of cam/string covers as I like to be ready, but I’m this case I really want a little more protection.

Teeton—kinda same thing. I’m not a big fan of removing sight, worried it won’t go back exactly right. Probably more of a mental thing than actual issue, but I just don’t like to take them off. And as stated above, I like to have my bow as ready as possible for quick action. Top out on a little and there is a goat standing there and bow strapped to pack, sting cover on, sight buried in the pack, arrows in a tube, release somewhere else. It can really suck ;)

—Jim

—Jim

12-May-21
I do just like JT with the exception that I use my z-rest sitting pad around the bottom cam. Extra arrows can be put in an Easton tube or the BH's can be put in a small box in the pack and the arrows can be rubber banded together and strapped to the side of the pack w the stock compression straps.

Don't overthink it.

12-May-21

12-May-21
On my sheep hunt I keep a primos bow sling on bow when hike strapped to by pack most of the time. It protected the strings and a decent amount a cam protection. It is a giving if you are on steep rocky terrain you are going to fall at some point. Also when strapping to pack I liked to strap bow high enough that if that if fell on my ass my butt hit ground and not bottom cam. No trees to worry about the top getting caught on like in the elk woods if top of bow is above your head a little.

12-May-21

KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
Sitka bow sling for me. Has padded cam covers and attached sight/fletching coverings. The fletching hood can be used to cinch arrow shafts into the quiver grips, but I throw a heavy rubber band around there as well. Couple extra arrows tucked alongside pack into a pocket.

12-May-21
I've bowhunted Mtn goats a lot, all with recurve or longbow, all solo and have killed 4 good billies, all at under 20 yards. I'd say that if the recurve is looking good, take it! If you're comfortable in the mountains, it's pretty easy to get 20 yds and under of a mountain goat. Being able to stash a light take-down bow in your pack is awesome and, like you said, your bow is going to take a beating at times and trad bows hold up well to that. I doubt you'll regret taking the recurve. Best of luck!

13-May-21
My first mountain goat hunt resulted in a broken bow string due to it being cut on a sharp rock, and a dead goat with a rifle at 7 yards. Since then I've used a primo's bow sling to protect the strings and cams while packing it around in the mountains. Not sure if it's saved me a string or not, but I won't be taking the chance any more.

13-May-21
Nick I hear ya and I'm 5 days of hiking/no hunting from a replacement. There is a lot to be said for the TD recurve, as mentioned above, I have never shot a goat over 20 yards distant. As I will have pack stock my base camp could have both bows +/or fixit parts

• Sitka Gear