yeager 14-May-21
Bake 14-May-21
Firehuntfish 15-May-21
Buffalo1 15-May-21
Firehuntfish 15-May-21
Buffalo1 15-May-21
13-May-21
OK. . .

I need you experienced traveler opinions.

My delta flight to africa was all messed up. So I just got off the phone and changed it. Had to add a day to the beginning and a day to the end (Sorry Ken!)

I didn't know this until I got the email, with the changes, I only have a 44 minute layover between teh time my Delta flight arrives in Atlanta, and when I leave to J'Burg. . . .

That worries me and stresses me out.

Is that enough time? Do I have to change terminals at Atlanta for international Delta flights? What say the experienced travelers?

Thanks!

13-May-21
I bet your flight gets changed again. 45 minutes does not give you much leeway to make sure your luggage gets on.... Are you bringing a rifle?

Everyone I spoke to has changed the flights to United through Newark or Qatar Airlines. Delta has cancelled their actual airplane that used to do that long haul, and everyone is messed up.

13-May-21
You have to take a train to a different terminal. You might make it, but you might not. That definitely wouldn't be enough time on the return trip, where you'll have to go through customs in Atlanta. As WW said, the biggest fear would be whether there would be enough time for baggage handlers to move your luggage to the new plane. I would probably be VERY concerned with that. There's a good chance you could change the flight yourself online, at no charge, if you act quickly before the previous change is re-ticketed. Go to My Flights and then look at the details of your itinerary. There is a red button in the top right corner called "Modify Flights". You can click that and choose the leg of your flight that you need to change and hit continue. It will populate with your choices of other available flights. However, this button only works some of the time. If there is a red checkmark next to the changes they made on your itinerary, you can probably make the change online. If there is a green checkmark, you probably will have to call. Call early in the morning for the shortest hold times. Good luck!

13-May-21
Ugh. I just changed it. Why in the world would they do that? I tried to modify online and the app and it wouldn't let me.

Have to call again. Annoying

13-May-21
My layover coming home is 3 hours. Not so worried about it. If I miss a flight in Atlanta on the way home, I can rent a dang car and be home in 15 hours

13-May-21
Bake What is the price on that ticket?

13-May-21
The problem perhaps is not you, because you can run and make it, but in a big airport like Atlanta, 45 minutes is not enough time for moving your baggage. You could end ion Joburg without your luggage for 3 or 4 days

13-May-21
I suppose if I wanted to know if a layover gives enough time to switch to the next flight....I'd find out the gate numbers for the arriving flt and your departing flt, then go the Atlanta airport website and look where each of the gates are located. That will tell you if they are close to each other or opposite ends of the airport.

13-May-21
Jl. Domestic vs International would require terminal change. 45 minis barely enough connection time for domestic flights. As stated before luggage will not make it.

13-May-21
I wouldn't even consider Delta right now, much less that connection.

13-May-21
You'll need to switch terminals in Atlanta. 45 minutes is cutting it really close. I'd be just as stressed as you. I'd recommend trying to get a refund from Delta and book on Qatar or some other airline. Covid has the world turned upside down.

13-May-21
That 44 minutes is tight, too tight for me. I’ve made the trip to Jo burg three times. Believe my lay overs were well over an hour. You’re screwed for 24 hours, I believe. And that’s assuming there room on the next flight. I’d get to Atlanta much earlier.

13-May-21
The issue now is that Delta isn't running that flight to J'Burg every day. . . so if I miss it, I have to wait 3 days I think

13-May-21
If you can’t get a refund or a better itinerary. Cancel the hop to Atlanta and eat that portion or get miles for it. Then Perhaps fly into Atlanta the day before and check into to the Joburg flight at a leisurely pace.

13-May-21
Can't speak for that airport of flight, but had the same situation two years ago trying to get to Copenhagen and on to Greenland. We didn't have enough time in Chicago to make our flight and missed it due to our arrival from the Twin Cities being delayed. Ended up having to wait 24 hours in Chicago, and then flying through Stockholm to Copenhagen to Greenland. We made it, but only 1/3 of our luggage did. Thankfully everything made it the next day before flying into camp.

Lesson learned for me. Better to have too long of a layover than not enough when flying internationally.

13-May-21
Delta is in the south terminal, so your arriving flight will likely be there. You would then have to get to the international terminal. I live in Ga, so Hartsfield is my origin/destination airport, and I have no first hand experience on connecting flights here, but I would not be comfortable with a 44 minute layover in any major airport.

You’ve probably already thought of it, but I would try and switch to an earlier flight into ATL if at all possible.

13-May-21
Delta is in the south terminal, so your arriving flight will likely be there. You would then have to get to the international terminal. I live in Ga, so Hartsfield is my origin/destination airport, and I have no first hand experience on connecting flights here, but I would not be comfortable with a 44 minute layover in any major airport.

You’ve probably already thought of it, but I would try and switch to an earlier flight into ATL if at all possible.

13-May-21
On a side note is 2 hours enough time to come back home through customs, in Newark? And still make the connection?

13-May-21
I like 3 hrs transferring from Delta domestic terminal to International terminal.

I also like 3 hrs. on the return from Joburg to go thru customs and all the other gov't checkpoints then to a domestic terminal.

Bottom line- 45 mins. between domestic to int'l flight is not enough time for you nor your luggage to make the trip (together).

13-May-21
I have never flown international through Atlanta but have flown through Atlanta a few times. Every time had issues. Every time I missed my connecting flight.

There is no way I would try and make a 44 minute connection and having to switch terminals there.

Like said above. Bite the bullet on the flight in and fly the day before.

14-May-21
"....so if I miss it, I have to wait 3 days I think."

If your luggage misses it, you'll be in Africa for three days without your bow, etc. I really think the chances of your luggage not making the transfer is the most important part and not worth the risk. Delta is being very good about allowing customers to make changes at no charge when they've (Delta) has made a schedule change that has affected you adversely. I wouldn't be at all worried that they will make it right. The real problem is that hold times to get through to them right now are often taking entire days. They were offering a call-back service, rather than having to wait on hold, but the last time I called (a few days ago) the recording didn't offer that option.

14-May-21
I called back this morning and had the call back option. They said 3 hour wait. It’s been 5 now and no call

14-May-21
Blane, my wife and I were originally scheduled to fly to South Africa this July 10th on Delta, from Chicago to Atlanta, then on to Johannesburg. Last week I found out that all their flights are now being scheduled through Amsterdam which is bad for bowhunters in that you can’t have broadheads in you checked baggage. My wife normally uses a longbow, but cannot pull that much weight, so she uses a crossbow which is also not allowed through Amsterdam. I called Delta which turned out to be a 5 hour wait on the phone, but on the good side I was able to get a refund. We are now booked on Qatar Airways from Chicago through Doha, and then to Johannesburg. This issue with Delta is that they retired the Boeing 777 and are replacing this trip with the Air Bus 350 and are having delays putting this aircraft on line.

14-May-21
Well I got it rescheduled. Let's hope it works out and they don't change it again.

If they change it again, hopefully they do it in enough time that I can make other flight arrangements.

I hate to change Delta at this time, because I had an e-credit with Delta for canceled flight to Africa in August 2020. I'm willing to give them this one last chance, and if it changes again, I'll throw a fit and demand a refund to rebook with someone else.

We shall see. . . .

15-May-21
Hi Bake,

Unfortunately, even though Delta is continuing to allow customers to book their direct flight from ATL to JNB, they are continually cancelling due to light passenger loads. This will not change until the travel ban of RSA citizens wishing to travel to the USA is lifted. The USA Government is the one continuing the travel restrictions, not Delta...

All of my Delta clients who booked the direct flight are being offered 1-stop route options through either London or Amsterdam. So, it is still possible to use Delta for your flight to Jo'burg even though your direct flight may continue to be cancelled indefinitely. However, if you do this, keep in mind that you cannot travel through Amsterdam with broadheads even if they are packed in your checked bags. Your only option would be to communicate with your outfitter to see if they can buy broadheads that you can make work for your hunt in Africa and have them waiting for you upon your arrival. Brands are very limited over there, but we have been able to do this for many of our bow hunting guests this season who are flying Delta through Amsterdam.

Your most reliable airline option right now is Qatar Airways which flies direct from Dallas to Doha with a 3-hour layover then on to Jo'burg. Every one of my clients who has flown with Qatar has been very happy with the service, the comfort, and especially the price. I have seen round-trip rates from as low as $600 for this summer. It does add some travel time to your itinerary, but it is still the best option going right now... Hope this helps... Good luck on your safari!

15-May-21
Dan,

Is it permissible to fly through London with Broadheads in checked in luggage?

15-May-21
Qatar airlines is head shoulders above Delta for service and plane comfort. I prefer the direct Delta Atlanta to Joberg itinerary. But I would go with Qatar before going through Europe.

15-May-21

Firehuntfish's Link
Greg,

I could not find anything, nor have I heard anything about broadheads being a problem through London. I do know they are on the banned list traveling through Amsterdam. The link with the current info is attached.

15-May-21
Found this on British Airways website for persons considering traveling through London airport with bow & arrows-

"Firearms and ammunition Firearms and other devices that discharge projectiles, i.e. devices capable (or appearing capable) of being used to cause serious injury by discharging a projectile, and ammunition are prohibited for carriage on either your person or in your hand baggage. These items may only be carried in your checked baggage and in most cases, will require notification and approval in advance.

The following items are not classified as firearms or ammunition and you can pack them in your checked baggage without having to notify us:

laser pistols bows, cross bows and arrows harpoon guns and spear guns slingshots and catapults If you are travelling to Brazil, only firearms being used for shooting competition purposes can be taken in to the country. Firearms for hunting are not permitted. Passengers must apply for a permit to import the firearm at least 30 days before travel date."

• Sitka Gear