Mike Ukrainetz 08-Jun-21
JL 08-Jun-21
Powder 08-Jun-21
Mike Ukrainetz 08-Jun-21
Powder 09-Jun-21
deerhaven 09-Jun-21
Powder 09-Jun-21
18-May-21
Well this closure is driving me bonkers. Just want to know if I will be hunting this fall in Canada or not and I am sure many of you are as well. I have seen, in the last couple of day, where talks are beginning on how to reopen the border. Share your information here please?? Hoping for positive news haha

18-May-21
Judging by last week's experience, nobody will be hunting Canada this year. Wish we had a few of those Canadian border patrol guys on our southern border.

18-May-21
Me too I want to go back to Michigan, Kansas, Nebraska and Montana this fall !! I live on the border with Michigan and Ontario. In Michigan they are throwing out shots ! Our Mayor is trying to make it so we can cross over get a shot and come back but our great federal gov't is just throwing up all the red bs tape they can find !!!

18-May-21
Ned... I wanna puke..

18-May-21
I'm confident the fall season will open. I'm booked with Rob Nye and I'll be hunting there even if I have to hire a coyote to get me across.

18-May-21
Ron- I would be interested to hear about it...........

18-May-21
^...good one Pat!

I sure hope wiser people take charge and open the border soon.

18-May-21
Just when I need a coyote... Pat has been killing too many and there hard to find. I might trade a corn field experience if I can find a willing one

18-May-21
Ol’ Shug and I are due to fly into camp together. Hope we can make those flight arrangements soon!!!!

18-May-21
I still think the thousands upon thousands of US residents that own summer cottages in Canada will crack the barrier sometime this summer. US citizens paying Canadian property taxes for two summers and not being able to use their cottages will be hard to take. These folks have greater leverage than us hunters

The US is currently winding down on vaccination so I’m thinking Canada must be getting done soon? If Canada is not fully vaccinated soon why not?? Canada is our ally and could easily get vaccines from the US if truly wanted.

18-May-21
I hope but doubt it. Ontario is still locked down in their houses

18-May-21
This is all on Canada! And they (Trudeau) don’t care what US citizens think at all. The US is open to Canadians and has been the whole time.

I had 2 hunts indefinitely postponed in BC. Pretty sure Summer sheep won’t happen.... still hoping Fall moose could but not holding my breath.

18-May-21
"This is all on Canada! And they (Trudeau) don’t care what US citizens think at all. The US is open to Canadians and has been the whole time."

The US land border has been closed to non-essential travel the entire time (and still is). The agreement is a joint agreement, and as a result several thousand Canadians havent been able to travel across to the USA (without flying) as well. Its been hard on both countries, but to say that the US border is open and has been the whole time is a bit of a misnomer.

18-May-21
I am still pretty pessimistic that it will be open for any of the 2021 seasons. I certainly could be wrong, and some of the new CDC guidelines/vaccine reports/general Covid atmosphere the last couple weeks has me slightly more optimistic.

That said I certainly won’t be booking any hunts or travel expecting to go this year. Feel bad for the guys who already have stuff booked though. All my stuff is in the US this year.

—Jim

18-May-21
Is it possible that this is not about "health" at all, but is actually about control? Asking for friend.

18-May-21
No. It’s most definitely about health. The kicker is though, they are ensuring to be safe from a virus that has such a large mortality rate, (gag) everyone must give up their livelihoods and freedoms to exercise commerce with small business. Of course, it’s ok to stand in the feed lot atmosphere of your local corporate restaurant, grocery store, airport, etc... Heaven forbid though you might want to stop at the local diner, grocery food store, go hang out at a local sports bar to watch football or March Madness.

18-May-21
Lots of talk that border will open in late July. Reeve of our town stopped in and said will most likely be in July some time. He talks regularly with our MPP, Minister of Parliment. I am expecting a Fall hunt.... Thanks to all the vaccines coming from our Southern Neighbors. Vaccination's are happening at a fast pace. Although the lockdown was extended to June 2nd, cases are going down daily.

18-May-21
Spike....do you know if folks in the bush or on the res are getting access to these shots?

18-May-21
JL: in BC anyway, remote communities and res's were done early on. It was easier to just go to a small community and do everybody which is most places in the north.

18-May-21
That's a good thing in BC. I was sorta/kinda wondering if these new shots that are going across the border will make their way to the bush/res folks or focused on the city folks.

18-May-21
It is ALL on Canada! To say the "land border" is closed but any Canadian can fly into the US at any time to any Place the border is wide open! also any Canadian can drive back into Canada from the US! The only "joint" thing about it was the US tit for tat- Canada said we are going to close it for US citizens, then Trump said if you do that we won't let you drive across.

Yeah maybe 100 years ago when people rode horses and wagons closing the land border was a big deal, but with commercial flight the US is WIDE open to Canadians!

While Canada is CLOSED to "non-essential" US citizens which is like 99.9%

18-May-21
Haha ok... guess I have a completely different view when I look at the numbers annually and see a bigger picture. I dont exactly see the land border as a simple 'horse and wagon' travel with hundreds of thousands of crossings that now simply arent happening due to restrictions. Seems 'wide open' is an interesting choice of words.

Look, I hate the restrictions. But finger pointing at one country saying 'its their fault' is a bit weird. Both countries have made restrictions that have affected travelers on both sides of the border. Both countries are STILL making those restrictions. Its affecting Canadians and Americans....ALL OF US. I hate what both countries are doing, but I'm also not ignorant to the fact that its both countries restricting people for the past 14 months. Arguing semantics of why its one countries fault when its happening both ways seems foolish to me is all. And on that, I'll leave ya to it man.

18-May-21
JL, most of our town has been vaccinated with first dose in April. Said 4 months before second is available....

18-May-21
I was fortunate or maybe unfortunate to close on my dream cabin in December of 2019. Northern Ontario, previous owners still waiting to retrieve their personal belongings as obviously neither they or I have been their since summer of 2019. Paying taxes kind of stinks but I'm hopeful sometime this year I will be able to get there. Very recently I have begun to feel slightly positive about the situation. Come on Biden share those vaccinations!

18-May-21
Can see the light at the end of the tunnel Moosemania!!

18-May-21
To bad Americas last attempt to include Canada into its sphere of influence war of 1812/1814 didn't produce better results, we be talking about states and not provinces.

18-May-21
^^^ ... but then I wouldn’t be buying an $80 Stone sheep tag every year ; )

18-May-21
As a resident of the state of British Columbia that wouldn't change, state license are always cheaper

18-May-21
Trudope said he won't allow the border to open until things are back to normal. When asked further he said maybe when 75 % of all Canadians have the vaccine ! Oh and he has his Quebec buddies working on a Canadian vaccine but it won't be ready until after most Canadians are already vaccinated ! More awesome Liberal planning !!

18-May-21
Earlier he said 75% first dose... 25% fully vaccinated. Then will consider reopening the border. Ontario will be 65% first vaccination by end of May.

18-May-21

ND String Puller's Link
Link to a short clip about Canada, I heard on a podcast today unreal! Not sure how current the information is but it shows you they are serious in Quebec! Straight to Jail

19-May-21
I don’t have to click on these threads anymore because our Lone Wolf hunt was cancelled. Not too happy about the fact that they refused to issue any refunds. Reschedules only. I’m booked solid for the next 5 years so that’s just not going to happen.

19-May-21
Pretty bad when you have to hire a coyote to enter Canada!!! I can just picture 40 hunters squashed into a van busting through.

19-May-21
Don't shoot til ya see the whites of their eyes lol

19-May-21
Two easy methods to cross:

Go to the Mohawk reserve and take a short boat ride. Their preferred payment is handguns for the Toronto area gangs.

Walk across with a battered suitcase, no ID of any kind, no English language skills and a friendly RCMP member will carry your bag for you to your all inclusive hotel. Your free to go after that. Might as well get some free health and dental work done while your here too.

19-May-21
To make a long story short, things are finally starting to move over here and the border should be open before September 1st.

Some talk of needing proof of having been vaccinated, but nothing concrete so it may be just talk. On the negative side - the politicians tell us to be cautious because things could change.

19-May-21
Canada will always be our ally but Canadians shouldn't forget that trudope chose China over the USA on the vaccine race bc he didnt like Trump. China's vaccine was rushed and less than 50% effective. Now unfortunately Canada is on the back of the bus on getting the 99% effective MADE IN THE USA VACCINE. Thank your newly relected president for your late start. Thank Trump for a record speed 99% effective vaccine MADE IN THE USA VACCINE.

19-May-21
^^^ I can only hope Canadians don’t forget come election time!!

But I’m not holding my breath. : (

19-May-21
it was officially extended until 6/21 today.

remember back in march of last year it seemed like this would be a 30 day thing. not 430 days.

19-May-21
How much notice do you think there will be when it opens? 1 day 30 days? 90 days?

20-May-21
15days notice would be my guess. but thankfully i'm not involved in government so take my answer as such

20-May-21
It's liberal logic.

20-May-21
Timbrhuntr was correct. Just now on CBC. Canada's top doctor say's even if 75% of Canadians get vaccinated.... They have much more to consider before they open the border. That's 75% with 2 doses. They are changing requirement by each news conference. Canada's government is a mess!!

Ford is reopening the Province June 14 for the first phase. Will take 21 days before the next phase starts. Then the 3rd and finally the fourth. September opening is questionable.

20-May-21
I think it’s the Canadian government, mainstream media and big, big worldwide money scheming on how to keep Canada closed till they can fundamentally change our whole country, make it more it line with how China operates. It’s absolutely about control, control and this Chinese virus is how they are attempting to achieve it. The laws they are trying to quickly pass in Canada right now, like bill C-10 are about enacting legal censorship of everyday Canadians social media accounts. It’s already happening with Freedom Protest organizers social media accounts being deleted. Some have even had their phones shut off in the middle of live feeds! Most Canadians are passive, obedient and somewhat ignorant because of the easy lives we have lived since WW2. I could go on and on with all sorts of links to non mainstream media about the technocratic takeover of any country “they” can get and Canada is a prime and willing target.

But, as Charlie says, pressure from the USA will hopefully be our saviour. Freedom loving Americans who refuse to be controlled will be our greatest ally! The powers that be want to keep free Americans from being in Canada and seeing how screwed up, locked down we still are. It’s crazy here, very, very bad. And they don’t want Canadians travelling to the USA and seeing thousands of unmasked, normal people together cheering in stadiums. And along with it, in Texas for example, no uptick in Virus deaths or cases.

In Canada we can’t legally visit our own family in their home. My kids can’t legally go over to a friends house. In Quebec you can’t be outside past 8 pm without a valid, narrowly defined legal reason. Six people can’t sit on someone’s outside patio together. Mask mandates all over Canada. No more than 15 people are allowed in a church, no matter how big it is, yet Costco is limited by a % capacity restriction. China doesn’t like churches either but China likes the money capitalism brings to them and no one sells cheap China made crap like Costco or Walmart! There are strict travel restrictions within provinces. Forced prison like, “hotel” quarantines. It’s nuts, and most of it is in blatant violation of our Canadian Constitution, our Charter of Rights and Freedoms. And most Canadians are ok with it! Most Americans wouldn’t be.

This summer though, heavy pressure from the USA may open Canada. Vaccines will be widely available with supply outstripping demand by far. Right now they are giving the “carrot” of a more normal summer if enough people get vaccinated, kindly encouraging people to get it done. Soon we will get the “stick” of severe restrictions to your life if you don’t get the vaccine and a 4th wave of Covid this fall is already planned, along with supply disruptions and hyper-inflation. BUT Canada can and should open up soon, before the fall, with help from Americans and non compliance of ridiculous laws by Canadians!!

20-May-21
"pressure from the USA will hopefully be our saviour. Freedom loving Americans who refuse to be controlled will be our greatest ally!"

Amen brother!

20-May-21
This what to expect in Ontario

TORONTO -- Ontario has announced a three-step plan to reopen the province, starting with outdoor recreational amenities, as it gradually prepares to ease pandemic restrictions. As of May 22, outdoor recreational amenities – like golf courses and tennis courts – will be allowed to reopen, the government said. Outdoor limits for social gatherings and organized public events will be expanded on Saturday, which will allow these amenities to be used by up to five people. These amenities include driving ranges, soccer and other sports fields, tennis and basketball courts, and skate parks. No outdoor sports or recreational classes are permitted. "Today, we're seeing increasingly positive trends and key public health indicators," Premier Doug Ford said. "As a result, we're now in a position to look at a slow and measured reopening of the province, and working in lockstep with our public health officials." The government said step one of the three-tier plan will likely begin on the week of June 14. The Ford government said they will confirm the start date closer to that week. Detailed breakdown of what can open in each step of Ontario's plan The stay-at-home order will expire on June 2, but all non-essential businesses will still be forced to stay closed until the province enters step one. The province will remain in each step for at least 21 days to monitor the impacts on case numbers as restrictions are relaxed. Step one To enter this step, Ontario must wait at least two weeks after 60 per cent of adults have received one dose of the vaccine. According to Health Minister Christine Elliott, Ontario has reached 58 per cent to date. "It is possible we could reach the level of getting to stage one before June 14," Elliott said. "We are just giving that as an approximate date right now." The government said step one will focus on resuming outdoor activities with smaller crowds and where the risk of transmission is lower. Non-essential retail stores will be allowed to reopen with 15 per cent capacity. Outdoor gatherings of up to 10 people will be allowed. Outdoor dining, with up to four people per table, will also be allowed to resume. The first step will also allow restrictions to lift on camps, campgrounds and provincial parks, as well as outdoor pools and splash pads. Step two To enter this step, 70 per cent of adults need to be vaccinated with one dose and 20 per cent vaccinated with two doses. The government said this step will allow for indoor gatherings of up to five people, along with outdoor gatherings of 25 people. Outdoor sports and leagues can resume, along with personal care services, where a face covering can be worn. soccer Indoor religious services can also resume at 15 per cent capacity. Essential retail restrictions will be eased, with essential retailers allowed 50 per cent capacity and non-essential 25 per cent. Outdoor amusement and water parks can also reopen. Outdoor cinemas, performing arts, live music, events and attractions can also being to operate again. Step three The final step would see life return mostly back to normal and will begin when 70 to 80 per cent of adults in Ontario have received at least one dose of the vaccine and 25 per cent have received both doses. In this stage, the province would see rules around indoor gatherings finally unravel. Larger indoor and outdoor gatherings will be allowed, though the province did not specify any numbers. dinner This step also includes a return to indoor sports and recreational fitness, indoor dining, museums, art galleries, libraries, and casinos. Indoor seated events can also resume.

20-May-21
All of those stupid rules should be broken by every Canadian as soon as possible!

20-May-21
"Ford is reopening the Province June 14 for the first phase. Will take 21 days before the next phase starts. Then the 3rd and finally the fourth. September opening is questionable.:

In California, it was all about the science and the numbers...right up until our governor was subject to a recall election and then poof. All the most limiting restrictions were gone overnight before we reached the number dictated by the science.

Maybe if Trudeau feels that sort of pressure?

20-May-21
I can't believe Canadians put up with this nonsense. Just crazy! Maybe these idiot politicians feel like they have to keep doubling down on all the restrictions to prove to everyone that they are right. Or maybe they have tasted the drug that is control and can't give it up. Or maybe I'm just naive and this lack of freedom is just how Canada operates.

21-May-21
Moosemania, it wasn’t this way before the virus came along. Canadians were as free as Americans for the most part. I’ve never been a conspiracy theory kind of guy, always saw the glass half full, full of optimism. I’m very nervous now for where we are headed. We need the border open with free Americans in our streets!

21-May-21
Having spent part of every summer since 1977 in Newfy and living on the border of Quebec, I find it curious that Canadians have not dragged Trudeau out and tarred and feathered him. Newfie’s are the most independent, fun loving people I have ever met, and masters at avoiding what they consider stupid regulations. They got the feds to open up Gros Morn National Park to moose hunting when the population went too high. A group trying to bring in wolves was told that they would hunt down every wolf and that idea was scrapped. Unlike a lot of state lands, provincial land in Newfy belongs to the people to recreate on, hunt, and for $20, obtain a permit to cut firewood and lumber for one’s use. We cross the border up here to help fight fires and the Quebec farmers are a lot like Newfie’s, very independent, unlike the liberal city folks. It is killing the wife and I not to be able to go to our place up on the Great Northern Peninsula. The salmon are laughing at me.

21-May-21
Want some insight on the Trudopes look up the War Measures act which is now the Emergency Measures act. I believe that only 2 PMs have ever brought it in since the last great war and both have the same last name and party !!!!!

21-May-21
Of course its interesting that in Michigan they were throwing out vaccines so some mayors attempted to get the ability to cross to get the shots for their citizens. They got approval from the Canadian gov and then the US side threw up their red tape to stop it saying its not an essential reason to cross. What a joke all the way around. If you can't get across for a shot good luck getting permission to cross to hunt I got the astrazenica shot when it was offered now after one shot they are letting 1000s of doses expire because now they can't decide if they should give it. Amazing I'm thinking maybe some of the anti vaccers were onto something. Greatest thing since sliced bread get it . Oh wait now that you got it FU !!!

21-May-21
Timbrhuntr, why the heck should they let Ontarioans into their state after all the negative talk about Americans?? I applaud them for denying Easterners access into the state.

21-May-21
Trudope is going to keep the borders and lockdowns as long as he can it’s about his agenda not covid. I pray our southern neighbours come help us out when the time comes to get him out because it’s unbelievable how blinded most Canadians r to what’s going on IMO.

21-May-21
I think Americans should do a "Hostile takeover" of Canada and rescue us from Ford and Trudope. I'll have the coffee on when you arrive!!

21-May-21
It would take 1/2 a day for our neighbours to take over I will have the coffee on too.

21-May-21
Lots of places you can just walk across and rent a car...

21-May-21
Chris- maybe IF the “Orange Man” was still in power....................however, we now have our own problems with Demented Joe and President Harris in charge! : (

21-May-21
"Timbrhuntr, why the heck should they let Ontarioans into their state after all the negative talk about Americans?? I applaud them for denying Easterners access into the state." Not sure about where you live but here we have a very good relationship with our Michigan neighbors except maybe for their Governess .

26-May-21
USA... is suppose to have major changes at the border. Can cross into the US but Canada says still closed. June 22nd.

28-May-21

Mike Ukrainetz's embedded Photo
This should make things interesting on the border if it happens. Pressure from the USA is our greatest hope to get the border open. It won’t come from within Canada, not for a while...

28-May-21

A freedom loving American trying to save us is great to see too!

28-May-21
That coward Trudope could open the border 6/22/21 or 6/22/51. He doesn’t even know when he will.

28-May-21
Had Canadian parents at my son's Lacrosse game today in Ohio. Somebody figure out how to cross tje border?

28-May-21
Rickm, us Canadians can go to the USA. You can’t come here is the problem. And upon our return we have to take a Covid test and isolate at home for 14 days, whether the test is positive or negative if driving across. If you are flying home you go direct to a hotel prison after taking a forced test. If it’s negative you then get to go home and isolate for the rest of the 14 days. If it’s positive you then go to a more secure prison. Try to refuse any of this and you are given thousands of dollars in fines and intimidated by police sometimes for hours before they consider releasing you from an illegal detainment. They try to purposely instigate you into getting mad because if you cause a scene they will tackle you to the ground, cuff you and drag you off to prison. I’m not kidding! All of this is being covered up by the mainstream media in Canada. Similar instances of police brutality are happening for simply not wearing a mask in a public store in Canada or against Pastors doing church services.

They really don’t want to deal with Americans at the border because this crap will hit the news in the USA and then Canada will be forced to stop it and open the border. I really mean it when I say the Freedom Loving Americans are going to be our saviours in this attempted takeover of our way of life in the new Chinada.

28-May-21
Mike,

We have a bunch of dormers that play hockey with my son. Tonight was the first time in over a year that the parents came down for a lacrosse game. There was talk that if we would have won this game we would have to house the players since school is over and the boys would have to quarantine. Not sure what they are going to do know. As miffed as I am at our current administration we are lucky compared to you.

I don't know how you will survive this economically but wishing you all the best!

29-May-21
Camp owners can travel now into the states without self quarantine when returning to Canada. If a camp offers monthly ( Long Term ) rentals, he is considered essential. Camps here have been going back and forth over the border. We have rented our cabins by the month till border opens, which qualifies us. Camp owners have been travelling into the states for supplies such as lumber etc. International Falls is closer to us than Winnipeg or Thunder Bay.

The Provincial park just North of us usually have their employees stay in a bunk house most years. This year they have to have separate quarters so they rented my cabins for the employees. 1 person per room. Helping us through this mess!!

29-May-21
That’s good to hear spike buck that you are able to create some income. We are surviving with our Canadian friends.

29-May-21
Chinada...that's a good one. Your situation sounds a little similar to what the Chicomms do to the Uyghurs. You guys and gals across Canada need to circle the wagons and get rid of JT. Until you do that....you'll be under his regimes control.

29-May-21
JL: The Liberal party of Canada gets elected repeatedly by residents of BC, Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes. Most of western Canada does not vote Liberal but we don’t have enough population to affect election outcomes. I am very proud that Saskatchewan is the only province that did not elect a single stinkin’ Liberal candidate. I have been saying for 30 years that western Canada should seperate and form our own country where decisions involve actual common sense. Please do not blame the prairie provinces for electing a total dumbass as PM it is not our fault.

29-May-21
Rob, when you separate take NW Ontario with you!!

29-May-21
And all of BC except the lower mainland...Vancouver metro. We didn’t vote for the federal Libs (better called amateurs) around here.

29-May-21
We will have to check the history of Liberal support in your region Spike before I can agree to your request: we cant risk allowing any Liberal numbskulls into our new country! From what I understand it is mostly eastern Ontario that votes for those crooked Liberal jackasses. Plus I have heard you have good fishing in your region so chances are good you’ll beallowed in as long as no history of voting for Trudumbasses. :)

29-May-21
Rob, can you annex northern Ohio into the new country? Just carve Cleveland out and we will fit right in! It's only a short boat ride or long swim away.

29-May-21
We have a Conservative MP and MPP for our riding. So we should qualify Rob!!

30-May-21
Looks like you’re good to go Spike! We’ll team up with Ohio also always wanted to hunt deer there! :)

30-May-21
And BC is plagued with the same curse as any state or province that has one huge metropolis that rules the rest. Here 1/30th of the land mass runs the entire giant province. I sorely wish that little south west corner would either fall into the ocean or go join Seattle!

30-May-21
Go to "John Adams go fund me page" and donate!!! I did... Funds go to the cost to play ads across Canada and the USA this week on getting the border open!! Can write comments at the same time. Much of what he is saying makes sense.... keeping the border closed to fully vaccinated means Canada has no faith in the vaccines so why get it!!

30-May-21
Exactly! You can still catch it, you can still spread it, it hasn't been tested longterm.... my body, my choice. I'd love to hunt MI and shoot 3d stateside again.... I'm ok giving it up if thats the only way emperor Trudope will allow that.

30-May-21
I expect that Vaccine passports are coming before some countries will alliw people in and I expect Trudumbass will be all over that - anything to exert government control. I got the vaccine b cause I’m certain all tourism operators will have to have it at least at first when border opens.

30-May-21
My son and his 3 kids just drove from Alaska across Canada to the U.S. to get to a new job. Had to get a letter from the city where he will be working to show it to the border agents. Of course, they had to get Covid test before they would let them into Canada and again before they could enter the U.S.

30-May-21
cat8hr... See the paper in the reference below. It is a pre print and hence unreviewed however the evidence is fairly clear that vaccinated folks are rather unlikely to acquire or transmit the Covid 19 virus. https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.27.21257896v1.full.pdf

01-Jun-21
Seeing some major backpedaling going on. Their plan is falling apart. The border should be open soon.

01-Jun-21

ND String Puller's Link
Info you won’t hear anywhere else.

07-Jun-21
TORONTO -- Ontario will move into Step 1 of its economic reopening plan on Friday, three days ahead of schedule, based on the provincewide vaccination rate and improvements in health indicators.

A statement from the Premier’s Office said the current situation in Ontario is “exceeding the best-case scenario” in recent modelling, which indicated that the province would reach below 1,000 new daily infections by June 30.

The government previously said that they would likely enter Step 1 on June 14, but instead will begin the reopening at midnight on June 11

Ontario achieved the main target of vaccinating 60 per cent of the adult population with the initial dose on May 21, according to the Premier's Office, but needed to wait at least two weeks to allow recipients to build up a sufficient level of immunity.

As of June 6, 72 per cent of the 18 plus population in Ontario had at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine and 10 million doses were administered.

The province has also seen a steady decline in new daily cases, 525 reported on Monday, and ICU occupancy has also decreased to 498 COVID-19 patients. The province said between May 25 and May 31, Ontario’s COVID-19 case rate dropped 35.1 per cent.

Step 1 allows for Ontario to relax restrictions that mainly involving outdoor activities.

Outdoor gathering limits will increase to 10 people, patios can reopen, and in-person shopping at non-essential retail is permitted with strict capacity limits.

Also, indoor religious services, including weddings and funerals, are permitted at 15 per cent capacity. Day camps will be allowed to operate, along with overnight camping grounds at provincial parks.

07-Jun-21
As silly as it might seem, I believe governments getting rid of mask mandates will be the biggest indicator of where we are headed, freedom or more lockdowns. Masks are the constant reminder the governments need to control the people and remind them that there is a “pandemic” going on. Because there are virtually no reminders of it in real life. They certainly can’t have maskless, crazy, free Americans in Canada right now! That would definitely not fit the mainstream narrative to be afraid, very afraid!!

07-Jun-21
I predict will be open for a Fall season... our outfitter association suggests mid to end of July.

07-Jun-21
Mid July is basically a month away. As much as I wish that were the case, I highly doubt it

07-Jun-21
Is Bloomberg a credible source

07-Jun-21
CTV just mentioned the lifting of 14 day Quarantine rules. They are referring to info from Bloomberg News source. Lots of positive chatter about reopening the border in phases, from credible sources. Apauls, to us it seems too soon but they have been working on the border under the radar.

08-Jun-21

MQQSE's Link
Just saw this.

08-Jun-21
Canada eyeing multi-stage approach to reopening the border to travellers Talks with the U.S. have ramped up as criticisms of restrictions escalate

Alexander Panetta, Sophia Harris · CBC · Posted: Jun 07, 2021 6:16 PM ET | Last Updated: 9 hours ago

The Peace Bridge and the Canadian border are seen from Buffalo, N.Y., on April 22. Pressure is building on the U.S. side to get travel moving. (Lindsay DeDario/Reuters)

2773 comments Canadian officials are looking at a multi-phase approach to reopening the border that would begin with allowing fully vaccinated travellers to enter starting this summer.

The pace of Canada-U.S. discussions about reopening has intensified lately, as more people in both countries are vaccinated and as frustration grows on the American side over the continued border closure.

The broad themes of those conversations were described to CBC News by several border town mayors who have been consulted on the talks, and by one federal official.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau revealed two key elements of the likely reopening plan in public remarks Monday: that the reopening will happen in stages and that the first travellers entering Canada will have to be fully vaccinated.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada's relatively low COVID-19 case counts and high rate of vaccination will make the country an appealing destination for tourists. (Sean Kilpatrick/The Canadian Press) "We are looking at how we're going to start welcoming up tourists in a phased way as the numbers come down in Canada, as the numbers start to come down in the United States and elsewhere around the world," Trudeau said in remarks reported by The Canadian Press.

One example of a scenario being envisioned for a first phase would be to allow vaccinated travellers to avoid quarantine if they have a negative COVID test.

What's still being worked out

Several aspects of the reopening plan remain up in the air.

The first is the reopening date itself: Public Safety Minister Bill Blair told a group of border mayors in a meeting last month that it was uncertain whether the first phase could happen in late June, when the current border restrictions expire.

An official aware of the Canada-U.S. talks, who asked to remain anonymous, said he doubts a June reopening is likely and suggested July would be a likelier starting date for the first phase.

Other technical details still have to be worked out, such as the form proof of vaccination would take. The same official said that proof would require, at a minimum, a vaccination card and perhaps another form of evidence.

That leads to another significant possibility — an asymmetrical reopening of the Canada-U.S. border, with each country applying different rules.

Different countries, different rules?

Take proof of vaccination, for example — as with several other aspects of the pandemic, it's become a politically charged and partisan issue in the U.S.

Some Republican governors have passed laws preventing demands for proof of vaccination on their territory. President Joe Biden has said he will not create a federal vaccine passport.

The official familiar with the talks says there's a chance the countries might have different border standards regarding vaccination.

Life is increasingly returning to normal in the U.S., as seen by the full stands at the Indy 500 on May 30. Some American politicians say there's no reason to keep the border sealed. (Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports/Reuters) The possibility of different rules came up in a consultation session late last month between Blair and Ontario border-town mayors.

One municipal mayor said she hopes the travel standards will be as simple and as similar as possible in both countries.

Bernadette Clement, mayor of Cornwall, Ont., said she hopes to avoid a patchwork that creates confusion and backlogs at the border.

Mayor at Blair meeting: 'I want a plan'

She said she told Blair that, above all else, and after 15 months of confusion for communities like hers, she wants to see a roadmap for reopening.

"I want a plan. I want to see a plan," she said in an interview.

Public Safety Minister Bill Blair told border town mayors that talks were ramping up with the U.S. (Blair Gable/Reuters) "These conversations every month are exhausting. Some people will like the plan, some people will dislike the plan. But let's at least get a plan out there so that we can start talking with our own communities about something concrete ... Put in some timeline."

Another participant in the meeting said Blair left open the possibility of a late-June start to the reopening but was not definitive.

Windsor Mayor Drew Dilkens said the minister said there were ongoing discussions with the U.S., including with Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas.

American officials have denied reports that they plan to unilaterally reopen their side of the border on June 21 whether Canada agrees or not.

Americans increasingly annoyed

But it is clear that American politicians are increasingly annoyed with the slower approach preferred by Ottawa.

That growing frustration is bipartisan.

Top Senate Democrat Chuck Schumer has called for a reopening. New York Democrat Brian Higgins says it's not right to allow travel for NHL players and not for people separated from their loved ones.

Canada will allow NHL players to travel during the playoffs under loosened quarantine rules. Some American politicians say it's unfair that others can't. (Jean-Yves Ahern-USA TODAY Sports/Reuters) A senior Republican has accused the Trudeau government of foot-dragging. In a letter to Mayorkas, congresswoman Elise Stefanik dubbed the current measures logic-defying.

She called it unfair that Canadians can fly into the U.S. and get vaccinated, while fully vaccinated Americans who own homes in Canada can't even go see their homes.

Without a deal by June 21, she said, the U.S. should just start reopening alone and allow Canadians with property, boats and business interests to enter or use U.S. airports for overseas travel.

Former New Jersey governor Chris Christie has blasted Canada's approach in different recent interviews on CNN and Fox News.

Hajdu says Canada will come up with 'certification' to allow COVID-clear Canadians to travel again Hundreds of travellers to Canada test positive for COVID-19 variants He called it "ridiculous" and "wrong" for Canadians to get vaccinated in the States and receive vaccine shipments from the U.S. while barring Americans from entering Canada.

"How about Prime Minister Trudeau, being a good neighbour and a good friend to us, opening up his border to people who are vaccinated?" Christie told CNN last month.

"It's wrong for him not to do it. And it sends the wrong signal for President Biden to sit by and allow that to happen is wrong, too."

He accused Biden of weakness in not publicly calling out Canada's refusal to relax travel rules.

Canada now has a higher percentage of its population with a single vaccine dose than does the U.S., but the share of the U.S. population that's fully vaccinated is nearly six times higher.

With 43 per cent of the total U.S. population and 53 per cent of American adults fully vaccinated, life has been returning to normal in the U.S., with workplaces, bars, restaurants, sporting events and concert halls increasingly full.

08-Jun-21
Happy if I'm wrong and there are rumblings now around June 22 as a start of something. Manitoba issues vaccine passports.

08-Jun-21

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo

JL's Link
Here's today's Doomberg article on the border. The amount of tourism money Canada lost is staggering. JT better have some good answers......

08-Jun-21
Goes both ways JL. Canadians spend a ton of money stateside. Into the Billions I would guess. I know my trip has been cancelled 2 times already and non refundable deposit rolled over twice. Rebooked for end of November now. But is starting to look positive for a reopening!!

08-Jun-21
Spike you would be right. In 2019 Canadians spent around 21 billion in the US.

08-Jun-21

Powder's Link
It's sounding like Canada will announce a removal/reduction in the 14 day quarantine rule in the next few days. It also sounds like it would be for fully vaccinated Canadians only. The article I'm attaching also says August is more likely for fully vaccinated Americans.

"In the weeks to come, we will have more to say about the measures that we could relax for people who have had two doses," Trudeau told a news conference. "Easing of restrictions will be focused on Canadians who are fully vaccinated."

08-Jun-21

JL's Link
Spike....no doubt money flows both ways. If we're going to compare the impact vs the US, we would likely have to look at the per capita numbers to see the adjusted impact.

This chart says in 2019 tourism contributes approx $39.72B (Canadian dollars) to the economy there. Another chart said that was approx 6.5% of Canada's GDP. It didn't say if that was in-house money or border money.

08-Jun-21
Excellent news. And I called it in my Covid article.

Great news for the outfitters and hunters as I’m sure there’s gonna be a fall season.

08-Jun-21
Please let it happen. I have a goal to finish. Lol

08-Jun-21
Hope it opens shortly Ned! Then hope the Nunavut border opens to us southern Canadians. Like Ned, I too have a goal to finish!!!

08-Jun-21
Guys I too have goal to finish. Prayers to you guys on a successful finish!! Hope to read about it down the road.

08-Jun-21
Good to have goals, my goal is to put up with Rob Nye’s corny jokes. ;-)

08-Jun-21

Mike Ukrainetz's Link
Powder, I know the article says it’s for fully vaccinated Canadians only but that is an mainstream media absolute lie! They can’t stop you from leaving or coming back to Canada. Vaccinated or not! You can refuse all tests and even quarantine measures, especially when driving through. They will intimidate you, try to get you to lose your temper so they can then arrest you and they can issue a huge fine that no one has been forced to pay. As for quarantine upon return you can say you are going camping for 14 days with no cell service and give them a gps coordinate to your camp. They don’t even confirm that your phone number is correct and you can say you don’t have a cell phone anyway.

The link to the article in this post even says testing and quarantine will be RECOMMENDED for unvaccinated Canadians but it’s not legally required. They can’t overrule our Canadian charter of rights.

They may be able to impose vaccination rules for visiting Americans and that’s up to Americans how they want to handle that but we Canadians need to not comply with this crap or it will go on forever!

08-Jun-21

Canadians don’t forget reciting this when you go through the border! Compliance will lead to a totalitarian takeover of Canada. We need to be more like our Freedom Loving American brothers!

08-Jun-21

JL's Link
I don't think is sitting well with some other athletes who are not allowed to cross.

Ottawa approves NHL travel exemption for Stanley Cup playoffs

Ottawa approves NHL travel exemption for Stanley Cup playoffs

David Cochrane

2 days ago

Thousands gather to mourn the victims of anti-Muslim attack in London, Ont. Dollar teeters as inflation test looms a man skiing down a snow covered slope: Montreal Canadiens goalie Carey Price makes a save during a 1-0 win over the Winnipeg Jets in Game 2 of their playoff series on Friday. © Jason Halstead/Getty Images Montreal Canadiens goalie Carey Price makes a save during a 1-0 win over the Winnipeg Jets in Game 2 of their playoff series on Friday.

The federal government has approved a travel exemption for the final two rounds of the Stanley Cup playoffs that would allow NHL teams to cross the Canada-US border with a modified quarantine.

Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino issued a "national interest" exemption to the league that would allow cross-border travel under specific conditions amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

NHL players and team personnel will enter and leave the country using private planes. Players and club personnel from the United States to Canada will be subject to pre- and post-arrival testing in addition to daily COVID-19 tests.

The players will have to live in a modified quarantine bubble that includes the team hotel and the arena. They will have to abide by rules that either severely limit or strictly forbid interaction with the public in both places. There will be no use of shared facilities and no contact with the general public

These rules are in addition to the other public health measures the NHL has imposed on teams for the duration of the season

"In addition to NHL's COVID Protocol, NHL players and personnel will have to abide by all local public health rules," Mendicino said in a statement.

"We continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation on both sides of the border. We will not hesitate to take further public health measures where necessary." Marco Mendicino looking at the camera: Minister of Immigration Marco Mendicino, shown in June 2020, has issued a 'national interest' exemption to quarantine requirements for NHL teams for the final two rounds of the Stanley Cup playoffs. © Sean Kilpatrick/The Canadian Press Minister of Immigration Marco Mendicino, shown in June 2020, has issued a 'national interest' exemption to quarantine requirements for NHL teams for the final two rounds of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

The exemption allows the winner of the NHL's all-Canadian division and its U.S. opponent to cross the border without quarantine during the Stanley Cup semifinals and finals.

When TSN and The Canadian Press first reported the possibility of an exemption in late May, federal sources stressed that the health risk to the Canadian public was low. Vaccination rates are high among NHL players and the travelling parties that accompany teams. There will be frequent testing requirements of all players, and the teams will be forced to stay in a bubble between team hotels and the rinks when in Canada.

The Montreal Canadiens are currently leading the Winnipeg Jets 2-0 in the North Division final. The winner of that series will face one of three U.S. division winners in the league semifinals. The two semifinal winners will square off for the Stanley Cup.

The exemption would mark the first time regular cross-border travel occurs in the NHL during the pandemic. Last summer, the NHL concluded its season with hubs in Toronto and Edmonton, with all U.S. teams crossing the border just once before departing.

NHL personnel were granted a special dispensation before this year's trade deadline in April to serve only a seven-day quarantine. The federal government also issued an exemption to the mandatory 14-day quarantine period for NHL players and team staff to return to Canada for training camp under "national interest grounds" in December.

08-Jun-21
Mike U, I don't disagree with what you're saying but as a non-resident of Canada I'm not willing to poke the bear. I don't have the liberties that you do to force the issue.

08-Jun-21
Sorry Powder, your profile says you are from Ontario. I didn’t mean to direct anything against you either. I’m so frustrated, pissed off and sad about what is going on with this Covid scam. It really looks like it was made in the lab in Wuhan with Canadian and American money and scientific help and then unleashed on the world, accidentally or on purpose?! And we are supposed to give up all of our freedom to supposedly fight it. Anyway, I hope the dam border opens soon and Canada isn’t changed forever in the meantime.

09-Jun-21
Mike, No worries. I have a cabin and land in Ontario but I live in Minnesota. I think we can agree that no matter which side of the border we live on we are on the same side of this argument. Let's make sure we don't get divided on details and keep the main goal in sight.

09-Jun-21

09-Jun-21

Powder's Link
This is worth reading. They will start with vaccinated Citizens.

• Sitka Gear