Pop-r 31-May-21
Matt 31-May-21
ben h 01-Jun-21
wtbowhtr 02-Jun-21
Solitary Bear 04-Jun-21
Katahdin 04-Jun-21
WV Mountaineer 04-Jun-21
30-May-21
Hey All, Im looking for a great 0 degree bag. I have one in down but for Alaska/wet environments Id like to add a synthetic bag. Im looking at Kifaru's version. Any recommendations?

30-May-21
I like Alps mountaineering bags. I have a Slick Rock 0 bag with primaloft. It's served me well.

30-May-21
I have the big agnes lost dog 0 degree synthetic. I've been happy with it.

30-May-21
I don’t think anyone has improved on primaloft yet.

Would love to know if there’s anything better than that.

Sometimes it’s helpful to not be too big. I have a Short bag that I can zip inside of a Regular without running short of room....

30-May-21
I have a Marmot Trestles 0 degree bag. I used it for 10 days in the Chugach last September. We had very little rain but the night time temps were down into the teens and it was comfortable.

30-May-21
I have a Backside 0 bag that has down on the top and synthetic DownX on the bottom. Great, backpackable bag.

31-May-21
Not synthetic, but rather treated water repellent down has treated me very well in BC, plus the high arctic. Mu KUIU 15* Super Down bag is working well yet after 7 seasons, as are my Super Down Ultra Jacket and zip off pants. Haven't gotten wet in them yet, but they do not breath as well as synthetic insulation pieces. Probably the lightweight fabric they use.

31-May-21
I have both Kifaru 30 degree and 0 degree (older side zip version). I don't think the ratings on them are very close, I froze in the 30 degree bag when it got down to freezing so I bought the 0 degree bag for sheep hunting and have been happy with it but I would not take it on a trip the went to 0 or the single numbers. Well made like all Kifaru stuff

31-May-21
I find that no bags regardless of brand quite live up their ratings. Buy one rated a bit lower than your intended need....you can always unzip or lay on top.

31-May-21
Or layer up with the super Down pieces I mentioned above rather than having the heavier bag. More versatile system with less bulk and weight to backpack in my experience. YMMV.

31-May-21
When I was looking for a synthetic bag a few years ago Primoloft and Climashield Apex were the top insulations. I think Primoloft was very slightly warmer for weight but required additional stitching to keep in place which causes the insulation to be compressed more due to the seams. Apex is a pretty robust continuous "sheet" and dosen't require as much stitching. That's about all I remember on the differences.

I went with a 0 Slick bag (Kifaru uses Apex) and have been very happy.

31-May-21
I have 3 western mountaineering bags and 2 kuiu bags that are very close to rating temps or even conservative with the rating. This is what caused me to think that the Kifaru bags are rated pretty liberally.

31-May-21
Agreed on WM rating and I've heard the same about the Stone glacier bags Katahdin. Good to know on Kifaru....I was looking at them recently.

31-May-21
I bought an Alps 0 deg synthetic bag off camofire last year for $60 !!! Awesome for car camping, but the synthetic bags like that won't go in a backpack. It's a super high quality mummy bag with zipper baffles and all the high end features, but can only be compressed down to about 18" in diameter and 18" tall :) Plus it weights about 7 lbs.

I'd be more inclined to do two lighter down bags and a vapor barrier liner. Better yet a -20 deg goretex down one like the Marmot I bought my wife for an engagement present 39 years ago. That thing is still the go to bag for winter camping.

Cheers, Pete

31-May-21
Idyllwild once pointed out that the EN rating actually means, "He survived until the next morning".. Most every bag I've ever used is about 10-15 degrees off in the comfort rating vs survival rating.

31-May-21
From what I've heard the older Slik bags were not rated very well, new bags have been on point with thier ratings. No personal experience on if this is correct though. Lowest I've had mine is mid teens.

31-May-21
I have a Kelty -20 degree bag that is synthetic. Not too heavy but a little heavier than some. I highly doubt it would keep me warm at -20 degrees because I have been a bit cool in temps hovering around zero. Have used it several times in AK and will again use it this year up there.

31-May-21
Kifaru Slick, I doubt there’s a better synthetic bag made.

31-May-21
thanks all! Much appreciated!

31-May-21
WM rates their bags with the user wearing a pair of long underwear and a head garment. They don't specify any more than that. I've been very happy with the products I have bought from them!

31-May-21
My sense is, the more expensive the bag, the closer they are to the comfort rating vs the survival rating.

01-Jun-21
I have one of the old gen 1 Kifaru slick bags and can confirm that they were not rated very well. I have the "15F" bag and don't even think it's comfortable at 30F. It also feels like you're in a straight jacket when zipped up. It is very well made though and I've heard they fixed both of these issues but can't confirm. My next bag will be a kifaru.

02-Jun-21
Sent you a PM.

04-Jun-21
Kifaru slicks are great. On sale right now too if you haven’t found one yet.

04-Jun-21
so what do people do that have the original slick bag? get some compensation or just suck it up. On the phone with Kifaru and it seems that the answer is suck it up. The ones that say the slick bags are great don't have the ones I do.

04-Jun-21
Does a 2010 model anything perform as well as a 2021? Just as an example of your reasoning.

I’m not taking Kifaru’s side. Just saying because you bought one in the past, how is it you feel that you deserve compensated? Plus, knowing Kifaru’s commitment to be and do what they say, it’s hard to grasp how you even asked that.

No one knows how you’ve stored it. No one knows anything other then you have the first generation bag and it doesn’t perform well for you.

I’m not being a wise guy either.

• Sitka Gear