Coyote 65 02-Jul-21
JL 02-Jul-21
orionsbrother 02-Jul-21
31-May-21

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Fawns dropping this week
Fawns dropping this week
I almost mowed over two fawns yesterday at my Ohio place.

This one was a few days old and ran into the hedgerow after I drove within ten feet. I snapped this pic and backed out quietly. The other ran out from under my tractor bucket while I was mowing the same field. The legs were wobbly so it was probably just a day old or so.

I’ve never hit one and hope I never do.

31-May-21

This photo was taken by my Moultrie Mobile cam while I was mowing. She’s moving her fawn to safer cover.

31-May-21
I got a cam vid from May15-20 of a doe with a couple of fawns in northern MI. I mowed/hit baby rabbits before....kinda bums ya out.

31-May-21

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
They are for sure...

31-May-21
Yeah, I killed one about twenty-five years ago and since then I’ve just learned to live with ragged openings until I’m reasonably sure all of them are a few weeks old.

31-May-21
Haying equipment is one of the biggest hazards to fawns in farm country. I haven’t hit one, but every year I hear accounts of them getting run over by tractors, hay-bines, mowers and so on. There’s just little a farmer can do when it’s time to cut & bale in perfect weather.

31-May-21

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
I went looking for them today here in CO but did not find any. Starting to see some decent velvet though.

31-May-21

TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
Definitely dropping everywhere.

31-May-21

Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo

31-May-21
The new rotary swathers can cut dense hay at 14 mph plus. If hay is early a lot get killed.

01-Jun-21

BullBuster's embedded Photo
BullBuster's embedded Photo
Deer took care of my first cutting so no worries here. Lol

01-Jun-21
Yesterday the grandsons went to their hidey hole in the woods next to the house and came back with a baby fawn. Then they brought it into the house and it got introduced to the cats and dogs and all went well. Then they got sent back to the woods with the fawn and hope the mother doesn't abandon it. If she does and the fawn is where the boys left it and still alive we could be raising an orphan fawn. They also put a trail camera on it to see if the mother does return. So far they have raised 2 pigeons, one baby skunk and 4 baby raccoons - all needed bottle feeding.

I found out the boys went out this morning and checked on the fawn and it was gone from where the boys laid her yesterday so we assume the doe moved it.

01-Jun-21
Fawns are my excuse to the wife why I haven't cut the field behind our house.

01-Jun-21
I don't brush-hog this time of the year for that very reason;had a couple close calls in the past.Also lots of birds and rabbits this time of year.My uses are only a hobby so it can wait. Local farmer kills 20-30 fawns a year haying:they hate it but have only so much time to get in the hay.

01-Jun-21
Found two newborn fawns in separate food plots on the farm Sunday. Neighbors killed a fawn while spraying a field. Ditto on the "be careful"!

01-Jun-21
Moose calves dropping now at this latitude.

Cow moose are very good at convincing you not to mess with their calves. I would sooner fight a grizzly while armed only with a pocket knife than to take on a cow moose with a little red calf!

Pete

01-Jun-21
Saw a few newborn moose calves this weekend- and my bear baits have slowed down- bears going after the calves. Should pick up in the next week or two.

01-Jun-21
Saw some fawn tracks this weekend in SE Kansas.

01-Jun-21
Used to hit them now and then with the swathers cutting alfalfa hay. Every other year or so. Makes a mess. Nearly hit a bear cub once but he stood up far enough away so I could see him. The fawns just lay and hide, sickles are out a ways in front so you're on em all at once rather than a rear mounted brush hog. Gotta look for "holes" in the alfalfa.

Got skunks ALL the time..... that'll really ruin your morning......

01-Jun-21

Tony Phillips's embedded Photo
Tony Phillips's embedded Photo
In my back yard a few years ago.

01-Jun-21
40 years ago it was somewhat uncommon to even see a fawn around here while mowing hay. Today the deer population is to the point that almost every guy who is mowing hay or bushhogging in May will hit a fawn(s) sooner or later. I feel bad for the fawn, but the truth is the deer herd won't miss the occasional loss.

Incidentally, there are add-on devices for tractors and hay mowers which help to flush wildlife (birds, rabbits, fawns etc) ahead of the machinery. I have no idea how useful they are, or how common.

01-Jun-21

BOWNUT's embedded Photo
BOWNUT's embedded Photo
They sure are cute.

01-Jun-21
I was SURE this thread was going to be about idiots or Karens. Happily wrong :) We are just starting "the drop" up here.

09-Jun-21
I've seen a few fawns up and moving here in Pa. I mowed half of our hay fields over the weekend. I watched very carefully, saw many deer beds, but there were none in them. No rabbits either, probably because there's a family of red fox living under the shed this year. I did hit a bird nest, redwing blackbird, and a big crow took notice and came in to clean it up while being harassed by the parents.

09-Jun-21

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
My wife is a fawn magnet. She discovers more fawns than anyone I know. She’s found 4 so far this year. Like Pete in Fairbanks mentioned, I saw 3 different cow moose with new calves at their sides, up on the Haul Road last week.

It’s definitely a sickening feeling when you hit one. I hit my first one (that I know of) last year while mowing. I’ve come close a bunch more times, as well. Thankfully, no skunks yet, TD!

09-Jun-21

Helgermite's embedded Photo
Helgermite's embedded Photo
2 WEEKS AGO

09-Jun-21

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Couple I have found this week.

10-Jun-21

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
They sure are cute while they have their spots.......

10-Jun-21

dm/wolfskin's embedded Photo
dm/wolfskin's embedded Photo
Last week. Took the picture at 10 yards and move along. Mom ran off.

02-Jul-21

Curious little guy. He was bleating the entire time he was walking up to me.
Curious little guy. He was bleating the entire time he was walking up to me.
This fawn walked up to me while I was taking pictures of my plots.

02-Jul-21
Haven't dropped yet in my neighborhood in central AZ. but from the size of the bellies of the does it could be anytime.

Terry

02-Jul-21
Hopefully these are two different family groups and the yote's didn't kill one of the fawns.

02-Jul-21
Almost stepped on one this past week when I was up North.

Saw several more than I expected while driving.

• Sitka Gear