Matt 08-Jun-21
smarba 08-Jun-21
midwest 09-Jun-21
Curt Wells 09-Jun-21
Mad Trapper 10-Jun-21
x-man 10-Jun-21
ramsemon 05-Oct-22
04-Jun-21
Can someone walk me through setting first and second axis on a bow sight without using a bow vise? I have levels available and can make a plumb line but don’t have a vise-I read that using a door jamb works but I cannot visualize how to do this. Any help is appreciated. I know it likely won’t be as accurate as using a vise but I’m not not breaking any accuracy records anyway.

Craig

05-Jun-21

Blood's Link
It’s tough without locking your bow in place. Even if you can use a clamp to lock your bow upright and then get your string level and then your riser level.....it will help a lot.

This tool is really good to get you where you want to go. Also, you need to make sure your sight has second and third axis adjustability. Good luck.

05-Jun-21
You boys are above my pay grade. Good luck even though.

05-Jun-21

Notme's embedded Photo
Works for me...lol
Notme's embedded Photo
Works for me...lol

05-Jun-21

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo

Scrappy's Link
I got a cheap vise from harbor freight years ago just for a bow vise. Only other thing you need is a six inch bolt to screw into the stabilizer hole.

06-Jun-21

BigSkyHntr's embedded Photo
BigSkyHntr's embedded Photo
Here’s my redneck vise! A table, a couple towels to protect the bottom limbs, a level, and a C clamp. Also maybe a couple shims to get it perfectly level.

06-Jun-21
I can’t understand third axis for the life of me

06-Jun-21
Bou, 3rd axis is basically setting the sight perpendicular left and right to your arrow. Imagine if your sight was at an angle left or right to your arrow when you are aiming at a target straight level out in front of you and bubble is centered. What happens to the bubble if you aimed up or down?

06-Jun-21

BC's embedded Photo
BC's embedded Photo
Bow vise.

06-Jun-21
I use a Hamskea axis tool. And put that on the bow and hold the bow to level it. I do it without a vise most of the time

07-Jun-21
Yeah Hamskea tool, no vice necessary.

08-Jun-21
You boys are above my pay grade I'm with WVmountainer on this one. Amazing I have no problems.

08-Jun-21
"I can’t understand third axis for the life of me."

I think of it this way: imagine if your sight housing came off the mounting bar at a 100 degree angle instead of 90 degrees. If you were to draw and your bubble was centered when aiming horizontally, when you raise your bow like you were to shoot uphill the bubble would run out to the left (RH shooter). The opposite would happen if you were to lower the bow as if you were shooting downhill. That situation would cause you to miss left/right if you attempted to level your bow with the bubble when aiming off of horizontal because your level would in essence be lying to you.

When your 3rd axis is set properly and you raise or lower your bow arm and keep the bow level, the bubble shouldn't move off center.

08-Jun-21
For taking generally flat and/or short shots 3rd axis doesn't make much difference, thus why many people don't know about it or notice it. But for mountain hunts 30+ yard shots at steep angles 3rd axis can make a HUUUGE difference. Too much detail to explain here, just google it, and learn all about it if you hunt in those conditions...

09-Jun-21
Scrappy, that vise is almost perfect! I've been meaning to visit a nearby Harbor Freight and your post gave me the incentive to finally get over there. Only problem is I walked out with $200 worth of stuff....lol.

09-Jun-21

Curt Wells's embedded Photo
Curt Wells's embedded Photo
This is a simple image to help with the concept of 3rd axis. As has been mentioned, if this is off you will miss when shooting uphill or downhill at any significant distance. It should be noted it has to be checked at full draw. Hang a weighted string from a doorway, draw and line up your sight pins (after you've adjusted 2nd axis) with the string then slowly aim downward at the bottom of your string, keeping the sight pins lined up with the string. Your sight level should stay in the middle. If not, you'll have to make the adjustment until it does. Hopefully your sight has the capability.

10-Jun-21
What Curt said. I get my son to look over my shoulder at the bubble while I line up the pins with the string. I use a Spot Hogg sight similar to the one in Curt's photo that has a central wire which makes it easy to line it up with the string. If the bubble is off at full draw and you are lined up on the string, you adjust the housing at the pivot connection until the bubble is centered while at full draw and aligned with the string.

10-Jun-21
To the OP. Curt is explaining what you were asking about. You wouldn't really need the string as long as your door jambs are installed properly (plumb), just use the edge of the jamb the way Curt says to use the string. If you don't trust your jambs to be plumb (after checking with a level) you can hang a weighted string from anywhere. The higher the better. Garage ceiling for example.

05-Oct-22
If you're looking to set your first and second axis on your bow sight without using a bow vise, there are a few things you'll need to keep in mind. First, you'll need to make sure that your bow is unstrung. Next, you'll need to find a level surface to work on. Once you have those two things taken care of, you can proceed with the following steps. First, you'll need to adjust the sight, so the bubble is level. Next, you'll need to loosen the screws that hold the sight in place. Once those are loosened, you can rotate the sight until the first and second axis are where you want them. Finally, you'll need to retighten the screws and re-check the bubble to ensure its skill level. That's all there is to it! You can find more tips on https://bowarchery.com/best-bowfishing-lights-for-muddy-water/ .With patience and attention to detail, you should be able to get your bow sighted in without any problems.

• Sitka Gear