RK 06-Jun-21
RK 06-Jun-21
PECO 06-Jun-21
JL 06-Jun-21
Pop-r 06-Jun-21
lv2bohunt 06-Jun-21
MA-PAdeerslayer 06-Jun-21
06-Jun-21
I belong to a veterans outdoor group and this was posted recently.

Just a heads up for folks that may have bought some of this ammo. I'm technologically challenged when it come to this phone and I can't figure out how to get the pictures from the post. They look to be Remington Core lokt .243. 20 round count with obvious cracks in the necks. Just want people to know what's up. There is also a comment from someone saying that the manufacturer is offering refunds and or replacements.

"For all of you out buying ammo? The two pictures are a recent purchase at a walmart. After purchasing the ammo it was noticed that the neck was cracked on one of the shell casings. So every round was inspected and 13 out of 60 of the shells had cracked necks. This isnt walmarts fault. This is the fault of the new manufacturer of remington ammo since post bankruptcy purchase. Vista outdoors purchased Remington ammunition post bankruptcy and seems to have no quailty control. Please check your ammo before purchasing. A cracked shell casing will cause the firearm to exploded and cause severe injury..even death. Just wanted to pass along this info. A lot of first time gun buyers out there and dont know what a danger this is! Please inspect your ammo!"

06-Jun-21
Yikes!!!! Thank you

06-Jun-21
Nothing new online about it some years old info but general in nature.

06-Jun-21
The original post was dated March 11, 2021.

06-Jun-21
Not good, especially since many stores won’t refund on ammo purchases.

06-Jun-21
Sounds like they failed to anneal the brass.

06-Jun-21
70lbdraw,

Thank you for showing concern for fellow leatherwallers.

I do range officer duty at a public gun range and it every now and again something happens that brings home the risk of using firearms. In the last few years there have been so many new gun owners without a full and clear understanding of what they have started. Basic instructions involved in the process of obtaining a gun permit are indeed basic and, IMHO, leave a lot more to "learn". Sometimes when correcting people on gun handling behavior, they say, "Oh yeah, I heard that in class", and others act like it is the first time ever hearing it. I often chide myself for taking details for granted, especially when using factory ammo and not at least looking it over before loading. Weird crimps, deformed bullets and reversed/side crushed primers are not all that uncommon. I also reload and it amazes me how many cases have the primer flash hole so far off from center of the pocket.

I would caution anyone buying ammo in this shortage market to examine it carefully not only before shooting, but after as well. Sort of like a muzzleloader habit of picking up fired ball patches to determine fit and seal to the barrel. Split cases ought to tell you that you may have dodged a mishap this time, but continuing to use that box or brand could be foolhardy.

Cheap guns are cheap for a reason and I've seen them break in use or fail to set off the round chambered. Which brings me to a command I issue at every start up of the firing line. "If your firearm does not go off as you expect it to, stop shooting, keep the muzzle pointed downrange, give it time to discharge, then unload the gun and find out why." Guys with revolvers tend to just keep shooting and imagine the misfire to just be a dud.

Anybody shooting carbons has to repeatedly inspect those shafts or risk a serious hand injury, a safety habit easily overlooked.

Your safety depends on you knowing and doing the right thing.

06-Jun-21
Very well put wild bill. I stopped shooting at a few clubs and just shoot behind the house on my range now due to some incompetence I was sick of risking my life over. Watched a guy have a misfire with a 9mm. Instead of giving bullet a minute tried pulling gun apart right away. Put a round right thru his hand. Between his pointer and his thumb. Never heard a man scream so loud. Almost muffled the shot echo

06-Jun-21
Yea you have to have your wits about you at anyplace the general public and firearms are involve

Drycreek I think any store is going to refund obviously damaged ammo, even Walmart

MA-PAdeetslayer Question, last time you were shot did you yell scream etc or just Dirty Harry style just sluffed it off, maybe said damn, and went about your business?

06-Jun-21
I saw that on a hunting forum. The cracked case they put a picture of looked to be very old, not new ammo. The whole write up looked to be bunk. It was picked apart pretty hard. I'll try to find it and post a link.

06-Jun-21
Rob, that ain’t what their signs say…….

06-Jun-21
RK, I try and surround my self with competent and safe people when firearms are involved. Fortunately never been shot lol

06-Jun-21

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
From a reloading perspective.....cracked/split brass isn't uncommon. In a half of a bag of new Nosler 6.5 PRC blem brass....I found two split necks so far. My bro has found several too. Just toss them and move on. Factory rounds should be QA'd better to remove the split brass prior to loading. I can see some rare ones slipping thru but that should be the rare occurrence. Here is a split neck in a new 6.5 PRC piece of brass I found during QA checks last month. I also found a split of a once/twice fired piece of brass too.

06-Jun-21
Drycreek. You know me. Signs don’t mean much. General guidelines LMAO

MA-PA. Keep that program And still don’t trust them.

06-Jun-21

06-Jun-21

PECO's embedded Photo
PECO's embedded Photo
PECO's embedded Photo
PECO's embedded Photo
They showed shiny new ammo atop boxes, then this brass.

06-Jun-21
^...that brass looks beat and previously used.

06-Jun-21
Buy good ammo and you won't have that problem. Thanks for the heads up.

06-Jun-21
I’ll wait for an update on this before I write off Remington and their ammo.

06-Jun-21
Agreed mark.

RK, 100%. Still don’t trust them. I trust myself and myself only as I know I am the one in total control of the situation. Probably why my truck has more miles than my buddies especially during hunting season. I do the driving ha

• Sitka Gear