JohnMC 08-Jun-21
Matt 08-Jun-21
FortnumSound 08-Jun-21
08-Jun-21

FortnumSound's embedded Photo
1/16th diff. Does it matter?
FortnumSound's embedded Photo
1/16th diff. Does it matter?
Have a question for you guys. But first here is my rig> Hoyt Axius Ultra @ 64 lbs Arrows are 5mm Axis match-grade cut to 26" (carbon to carbon). 75g brass up front with 100g heads. My question is I always buy my dozens from Spokane archery. They have a "bunch of kids working there" (their words) and they cut my last dozen 1/16th short. They said I wont notice any difference in POI but I wanted to double-check with yall and see if they are just blowing wind up my sitka's. The one guy said it could be 1/2" and you would not see much of a difference. This would throw FOC way off. Should I worry about 1/16th of an inch or should I trim my oldcer shafts?

08-Jun-21
you can only dream of being such a great shot that that would matter. never in 6 million years will anyone notice 1/16 of an inch. You have more variability on the weight of the glue used on a vane.

08-Jun-21
Brady Ellison *might* be able to tell the difference. At 70 meters.

On the other hand, 1/2 inch on a carbon shaft is HUGE spine-wise (and that guy is wrong.)

08-Jun-21
You could always sand the longer one down to match

08-Jun-21
Put an insert in it and kill something. That’s how much it matters.

08-Jun-21
Agree, no difference! I've shot arrows that were 1" shorter due to a break for target practice. No discernable difference to me out to 70 yards. It was a good arrow; until it met the iron deer at the last 3D I shot! Really muffed the guess at the distance. RIP short shaft! :)

08-Jun-21
This is just one reason why I have been building my own arrows for the past 40 + years, and threads, and tuning my bow. 1/16”, you will not notice a difference.

08-Jun-21
It makes a difference only if you are OCD and it eats you up inside knowing that difference is there and then seeing that they are slightly shorter in your quiver. LOL. Performance-wise, you are amazing if you could tell a difference. I know I'd never be able to tell.

08-Jun-21
You won't tell. I have a dozen arrows that are about that much shorter than another dozen. And one dozen has arrow wraps and 4 fletch, and the other is 3 fletch without wraps.

There is no difference I can tell to 60 yards

08-Jun-21
I start with all my arrows nearly an inch longer than "most" people would call standard. If (when) I happen to blow a shot and insert pushes in or nock blows out and cracks I trim off however much I need to get past the split (say 1/4" - 1/2") and keep on shooting them . I don't see any difference in flight with arrows well over 1" difference in length. Your setup may vary.

08-Jun-21
It may or may not make a difference, but if you bought arrows from them and said you want them cut to a certain length and they screwed up and cut them short they should recut a new dozen for you. It should not cost them anything unless you are having them cut really short to begin with because they can recut them for someone who needs a short arrow than you.

08-Jun-21
You won't notice 1/16" unless you have an aspect of your set-up that is really critical and demands specific lengths which I highly doubt (e.g. your BH sits right in front of your rest prongs on the previous set and might make contact with the new set).

08-Jun-21
Ok great. Thats all I needed to hear.. Just wanted to make sure

• Sitka Gear