CAMPDAVID 14-Jun-21
darralld 14-Jun-21
LINK 14-Jun-21
Rancher 14-Jun-21
goelk 14-Jun-21
Buffalo1 14-Jun-21
10-Jun-21

Camp David's Link
I love building wooden tree stands old school style. They are safe, silent, and comfortable. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dpSlOyieOaw

11-Jun-21
You ain't bashful with the nails, eh? :-)

Looks good.

11-Jun-21
Joey, back when I did this, if it needed one nail it needed four ;-)

Helpful hint - porcupines love plywood, avoid it!

11-Jun-21
I have been building lots of them, the only thing I’ll recommend please use galvanize nails, regular nails rusting too fast

11-Jun-21
No nails used on decking or ladder rungs. All 3 1/2 inch coated screws.

11-Jun-21
Well then, you ain't bashful with the screws. :-)

11-Jun-21
Screws are so much better than nails there is no comparison. Be careful using to many screws on those floor joists, it can split the joist board actually weakening the hold.

11-Jun-21
Nails are considered an "elastic connection". They handle wood movement much better than screws. Many times if you have severe wood movement with nails you will see things like nails that tilt or seem to back out. This is actually a good thing. Many times if a screw had been used in that case it would have caused the wood to split as it moved

Your normal wood screws are not structural. Standard screws are brittle. If you take a normal screw and drive it part way in and whack it with a hammer, it will snap. If you do this with a nail, the nail will bend. Which would you rather have holding your deck up? Something that bends but stays intact or something that can snap?

I mostly use screws only for temporarily holding things in place while I nail stuff up and for the decking surface.

11-Jun-21
Looks good. The price of lumber today would triple the cost or more.

11-Jun-21

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Did a little remodeling of an existing stand last summer. Was gonna have a square dance once we got it finished, but Covid shut us down;-)

11-Jun-21
Definitely a stand, no sitting. Unless you’re planning on bringing up a lawn chair

12-Jun-21
I don't have a problem with anyone making a wood tree stand, as long as it is on private property. When it is built on public property it must come down every year or in some states at the end of each day.

12-Jun-21
WTF you call Obama one of the coolest presidents and have his picture in your Livingroom in your other youtube video. Lost me there...

12-Jun-21
"porcupines love plywood"

Truth!!

12-Jun-21
Plywood stands are great for porcupine control lol

13-Jun-21
I used to 'recycle' wood from shipping pallets for my stands. Cost was nails and 'sweat equity'. I was a lot more limber and a lot less girth in those days. Today I mostly hunt ground or ladder stand.

13-Jun-21
PS screws may be better, but back then there were no cordless drivers. We pounded nails because that was the available tech ;-)

13-Jun-21
Removing those things on public lands every day is a pain

you build them until about 10 in the morning............ then hunt until about two o'clock................. and then it’s time to start taking them down again

13-Jun-21
The problem that we have in CO is that people put up multiple stands so that they can take advantage of the wind directions. On public land this could be a problem when the guy that put all of these up shows up and someone else is in one of his stands. So, they changed the rules or law that said if no one is using the stand you can use it yourself. Then, Along comes the guy that put it up and he wants you to vacate the stand so that he can sit in it. That is no longer true. First come first served and you can't kick him out of the stand, even if he was the guy that put it up. Otherwise, the guy that put up multiple stands controls a whole area which is not allowed on public lands in our state. Good change if you ask me.

13-Jun-21
Think about this. He had the stand over a food plot. So it’s on private land. No need in trying to bridge the gap so you can rant about it. It’s a thread about wood built stands. Not public land tree stand laws.

Camp David, that’s a nice build. That thing is going to be comfy. How did you anchor the platform on the floating end. Did you truss it below the tree or, just support it with the ladder and bracing the ladder to the tree? It looked very solid for such a big platform

14-Jun-21
WV Mountaineer.......

All I used are two ( one on each side of the ladder rail ) 3/4" x 10" galvanized nails. I bought them at Home Depot for .90 each. I drilled a pilot hole through the top of each 2" x 6" ladder rail ( 8" from the top so I would have a handle sticking up to grab onto when you get to the top) and through the 2" x 8" crossbeam platform joists creating a free floating deck that can adjust when the tree grows. I built the platform so that it lean s back towards the tree a bit. This will provide for many more years of usability as the tree grows.

14-Jun-21
John MC...... I am no Obama fan. I don't have my own YouTube account. I had someone else post my tree stand video there so that I could upload it to Bowsite.

14-Jun-21
And current price, $2000.00...LOL

14-Jun-21
Yep. Some of guys just can’t help but to flaunt your wealth. ;)

14-Jun-21
Campdavid,I like your treestand,and hope you kill the buck of your dreams out of it.

14-Jun-21
Bighorn correct first come first serve. A few years ago we came across two hunters. A guy put up a stand and another hunter sitting in it. He won't move so the guy who put up the stand decided to throw rocks at him until he move. The guy sitting in the stand decided he had enough and came down and left. It could have turn out differently but to the credit of both hunters they didn't engage.

14-Jun-21
Your wooden stands bring back great memories. I always loved building them and erecting them. They were monumental signs of commitment to hunting a certain location. You did not just haphazardly put building sweat equity and stand erection without belief that you were putting the stand at a good spot.

• Sitka Gear