JTreeman 15-Jun-21
Pyrannah 15-Jun-21
JTreeman 15-Jun-21
Pyrannah 15-Jun-21
JTreeman 15-Jun-21
Pyrannah 16-Jun-21
DEMO-Bowhunter 16-Jun-21
13-Jun-21
Is there enough room for your clothes ,boots, With one bow plus arrows?

13-Jun-21

huntinelk's embedded Photo
huntinelk's embedded Photo
2 x 34" ata bows, tools, clothes in it, was around 47 pounds

14-Jun-21
Huntinelk, which size is that and how do you like it. Been thinking very hard about getting one myself. I'm leaning towards the 44" so I can fit more gear.

14-Jun-21
Mine is a 40, I don't have any problem getting 50 pounds of stuff in it. It has worked very well so far, around 8 trips with it.

14-Jun-21
Mine are both 40’s and I don’t see a need for 44 unless you absolutely have to have it for your bow. It’s hard enough to keep the 40 under 50lbs, and I prefer to fill them full/tight to eliminate any “sloshing” of the gear inside. Plus they look huge, so I feel like another 4” is just more attention for the luggage lady to shake me down for over size. The 40 is certainly over size, but I’ve never been charged, but the bigger it is the more likely I am to be is my feeling.

They are nice, but not my favorite way to travel. I personally prefer the Badlands Terra Glide.

—Jim

15-Jun-21
Thanks for the feedback! I was also concerned about the bigger size drawing more attention from the luggage people. Jim, would you say the Terra Glide is more durable or provides better protection? That was the other route I'd been considering.

Thanks, Jeff

15-Jun-21
BNB—I would say legend has the edge in the protection department. Simply because it has more room to pack around the limb/cams. The terra glide are pretty tight fit, I wish it was 2” longer. Some bows certainly won’t fit. I did cut a piece of egg crate foam to put in the bottom of the terra glide as it’s basically in padded. Durability I would call it a wash, though I have used my legends less i feel they show their wear a bit more, but no “failures”. If you are seriously concerned about max protection then get an SKB and sleep well on the flight.

Along the lines of legend being too big, I’ve never been charged oversized (but would loose the argument if it came to it), it SOMETIMES comes out with oversized luggage. That is a huge PITA, especially when you don’t know which it will be. I have NEVER had the terra glides come out with the oversized luggage.

For me the legend is hard to pack full and keep it under 50lbs, my terra glides are basically packed full/tight and weigh right at 50lbs. I prefer my luggage tightly packed, I feel like loose stuff just slushing around in there is bad with a bow! Any other specifics just hit me up.

—Jim

15-Jun-21
Jim, Once again, thanks for all the feedback! I'm not concerned about "max" protection so much as "reliable" protection. I have an SKB but really feel limited with the amount of gear I can pack inside. I think I would be happier with something more versatile and it's probably going to be one of these two.

Have you ever flown with a handgun inside either case? I know it would have to be locked in a hard case but wasn't sure if TSA would allow it or not....obviously I would ask the airlines before attempting it but just wondered if you had any experience with it.

Jeff

15-Jun-21
I’ve never flown with a hand gun, but it is my understanding if it’s is in a locked box inside your regular luggage it is perfectly acceptable. You need to disclose of course. Speaking of flying domestic of course…

—Jim

15-Jun-21
do u know how big of a bow you can get in the 40

i have a prime that measures out 40.5 tip to tip

i'm thinking it might not fit?

15-Jun-21
I suspect it would fit, slightly corner to corner, but I certainly can’t guarantee it.

—Jim

15-Jun-21
thanks jt

i have an offer from a buddy who will let me use his badlands but i doubt foe will fit there

15-Jun-21
Definitely won’t fit in the terra glide.

—Jim

16-Jun-21
stopped at LAS today, it fits in the legend

now just need to decide what to get lol..

thanks

16-Jun-21

DEMO-Bowhunter's embedded Photo
I've been using the Legend 40's the past few years. I don't have any real complaints with the bag, now the luggage handlers...

I use two and put one bow in each and never come close to 50 lbs per bag.

Sleeping bag is the hardest to get to fit compressed, clothes are a breeze and I usually pack my boots in the bag and carry my optics in my pack on the plane.

• Sitka Gear