Firehuntfish 17-Jul-21
standswittaknife 17-Jul-21
drycreek 17-Jul-21
standswittaknife 20-Jul-21
Ok...Russ 20-Jul-21
StickFlicker 20-Jul-21
13-Jul-21

JL's Link
FYI........It may not be a factor in anyone's travels there but it's worthy to keep an eye on it.

"South Africa

Published 2 hours ago

Chaos spreads in South Africa as authorities struggle to contain looting, violence Unrest started last week after jailing of former South African President Jacob Zuma"

13-Jul-21
Are you headed that way JL or just speculating

13-Jul-21
RK.......no...not heading that way. I just posted it for the awareness of those heading that way. Did you open the link and read the news report? It reports what is going on. Folks can take it for what it's worth.

13-Jul-21
JL. No I did not open the link simply because I get updates from various sources multiple times a day. Sad situation for sure. Something that anyone going over needs to keep up on, depending on where they are going in country. Once again it’s a sad situation

13-Jul-21
leaving Saturday...

13-Jul-21
Danny, will you have the ability to post back on here to let us know if you had any problems on your arrival day and getting to your safari concession? I assume that you are going to RSA and landing at O.R. Tambo and driving from there to the concession (in which direction from JNB?)? I'm scheduled soon, and I'd love to get an American's view of how things are, how curfews might have affected you, etc.

13-Jul-21
Reports are Durban is really bad with unrest and looting

Spilling over to joberg also at this point but not the airport

13-Jul-21
I'm leaving this Thursday for Johannesburg. What I have heard is that the airport and the hotel (Afton Safari Lodge) where we are spending the night are fine. Of course, I wouldn't be caught walking around Johannesburg at night or even in the daytime anyway. Have to catch a early flight to Windhoek. The Outfitters say that the trouble is limited to isolated locations so I am not worried about it.

13-Jul-21
Will do.. outfitter and Afton house states same as bighorn ..I’ll try to post on Sunday night

14-Jul-21
Everything here is pretty normal. We travel back and forth to Tambo weekly and just delivered clients there yesterday. No issues. “Reports” are greatly exaggerated and sensationalized.

14-Jul-21
I’ll guarantee it’s not near as risky as driving through Chicago.

Or Portland, Or NYC, or Baltimore

14-Jul-21
I was going to say what altitude said.

14-Jul-21
Danny, I can post anything for you if unable to get to internet but can send pics. You and that 'other guy' have a great trip!

14-Jul-21
thanks Russ....!!!

14-Jul-21
Going on August 7 to Joburg Hope everything goes in the right direction

14-Jul-21
We left Sunday and didn't have any problems.

17-Jul-21
FYI,

I had a great WhatsApp conversation with returning clients waiting on their flight home from OR Tambo this morning.... They stated that they had had no issues whatsoever with their arrivals and departure from Jo'burg, nor had they witnessed any type of civil unrest during their safari travels to and from the Limpopo. I also received emails today from both the Afton and Africa Sky Guesthouses stating that they have been hosting, and continue to host safari guests without issue. It has been business as usual for them.

Just to follow up on this topic, I want to stress how important it is to stay in frequent communication with and rely on your outfitter for the most up to date an accurate information concerning safety and travel into and from South Africa. There is a lot of hearsay, inaccurate, and second-hand information coming from the media and some of these forums that is frankly BS..

No outfitters would risk their clients' safety and they are the single best source for real-time, on the ground information regarding your trip. I am in contact with clients and PHs almost daily, and I will certainly post any relevant updates in regard to safety of travel as I receive them.

17-Jul-21
I’m currently circling over Chicago Trying to burn do you know if you all saw the planes not too heavy to land . after we got diverted from landing in NJ.. . Going to be a mess trying to figure out how to get to Johannesburg at this point.. But I’m sure we’ll make it in the next day or so.. The biggest pain is wondering if some of our clients covid tests will run out of time.. Denvers airport had a rapid testing center right in the airport so I’m hoping Chicago’s is the same for the couples that will expire if we don’t get out today

17-Jul-21
I hope all you guys currently either on the way or about to be have good hunts and safe journeys.

20-Jul-21
We are here and the riots are a sensationalized beyond discussion. Very smooth and safe..

20-Jul-21
Have a great hunt Danny!

20-Jul-21
Danny, How long were the custom lines when you arrived? With the planes seemingly almost empty, I wondered how busy that airport is right now.

• Sitka Gear