samman 19-Jul-21
BigEight 19-Jul-21
Mint 19-Jul-21
Julius Koenig 19-Jul-21
Straight Shooter 20-Jul-21
BOWNBIRDHNTR 20-Jul-21
x-man 20-Jul-21
17-Jul-21
I'm looking to buy a pellet grill/smoker, which brand/model do you guys prefer and why? Thanks.

17-Jul-21
I have a cabelas. Works perfect. Has probe connection never had a problem! Can get a burn all night for slow cooking/smoking

17-Jul-21
Question for you guys. I smoked bbq all the time but only with my masterbuilt electric smoker which has a removable water dish to add moisture. Does a pellet grill have that? Need that?

I can’t ever get a good bark on my ribs with my electric smoker and am considering a pellet grill.

17-Jul-21
Pat I usually add a small metal pan/bowl with water and Check it every so often. I do ribs religiously, I’m known at deer camp and around family and friends as the rib god, and pulled pork and brisket quite often. I do whole chickens beer can style and no can and I’ve done those no water and NEVER have a dry chicken. Low and slow is the key of course. The ribs I Jack the temp up as I sauce them to get a nice little crisp on them. They usually have to be eaten from a metal pan with a fork on sandwiches because the completely fall apart when they’re done. Feel free to msg me if you guys have any other questions!

17-Jul-21
I’m waiting for the campchef woodwind WiFi 36 to come back in stock. I’ve looked at it since last fall but they have been out of stock for a while.

17-Jul-21
Pitboss pellet grill. Love it

17-Jul-21
My Green Mountain has been great. I keep a bread pan of water in it at all times. I do the same as MA-PA for my ribs after the wrap to caramelize the sauce. Sometimes I finish them over charcoal in the Weber.

17-Jul-21
My son has a Yoder pellet smoker. It’s pricey, but well built and lots of controls. He makes great food with it.

17-Jul-21
Nick I don’t even wrap anymore! Unless I’m doing a bunch. Like 10 racks. If I don’t wrap and can fit em all on the surface I do the 30-30-30-30-30 method I created at 220ish. Once the start to break when you grab in the middle their done. Time for sauce and a sear.

17-Jul-21
I bought the GMG based on previous threads. It is a great grill. I am less impressed with it as a smoker. I do enjoy the wifi and flexibility for long cook times without tending to it.

17-Jul-21
I have a Grilla grill it's very heavy duty and is a unique round design. Their customer service is next to none.

17-Jul-21
"They usually have to be eaten from a metal pan with a fork on sandwiches because the completely fall apart when they’re done."

No my idea of perfect ribs. If they are to that point they are cook too long. Would not expect anything less from New England though ;)

17-Jul-21
I have a Trager,but if I did it again ,Id buy a Louisiana pellet grill . Built like a tank. By the way 0 problems with the Trager

17-Jul-21
Amerique 066 by Cookshack

17-Jul-21
Traeger here. Works great,keeps a constant temp from smoke to 450° on a hot day. Bought the blanket for wintertime cooking. Does everything, fish,poultry,pork,venison, you name it. There are probably more robust models as mentioned but take good care of it and it should last many,many years. Totally rebuidable too if you finally wear it out. I have replaced the fire pot once in 10 years of use.

17-Jul-21
Traeger here. Works great,keeps a constant temp from smoke to 450° on a hot day. Bought the blanket for wintertime cooking. Does everything, fish,poultry,pork,venison, you name it. There are probably more robust models as mentioned but take good care of it and it should last many,many years. Totally rebuidable too if you finally wear it out. I have replaced the fire pot once in 10 years of use.

17-Jul-21
Never over cooked John! Melt in your mouth. I’ll cook another meal before I serve meat that you can’t chew. But I to prefer to be more careful so I can eat them off the bone as intended

17-Jul-21
Camp Chef

17-Jul-21
Pit Boss and love it. Takes a minute to get use to it but you will be glad you did.

17-Jul-21
I’ll go pit boss to for another good one! I’ve cooked on one several times and it worked very well.

17-Jul-21
I'm looking at a Grilla grill because they are built here locally, and a few people I know have them and love them. Also, people have said when they walk in the door, the customer service is great with helping select the right grill, and if there are any problems they told them to bring it in and they would take care of it.

17-Jul-21
Turn in your man card if you’re plugging in your smoker. SMH :)

17-Jul-21
Pitt Boss Pro Series. Have two of them and don’t know what we did before owning one.

17-Jul-21
I have the camp chef woodwind 36 w/ ,wifi. I've had it just over a year. It's been a real good grill so far. I use it a few time per week this time of year. Had it on over 20 hours a while back, between a brisket and some other stuff I was smoking. Does a great job.

17-Jul-21
Have a Traegor, Had it for about 12 years, 0 problems, would get another.

Terry

17-Jul-21
I have a treager and bought my dad the Camp Chef… I like the Camp Chef better. Very well thought out.

18-Jul-21
Great luck with my Green Mountain pellet smoker. Wifi is very nice!

18-Jul-21
Have a Traeger, but my next will be a Rec Tec

18-Jul-21
This thread and yesterday's trip to LOWE'S has me tempted to trade in my Oklahoma Joe offset smoker.

18-Jul-21
I have a Traeger silverton pellet grill I got from Costco in March. Was easy to put together seems very well built for the price and so far no problems except the constant emails from traeger with recipe suggestions lol I have to say it sure seems to make everything taste much better from chicken to hamburg and so far I have done 2 briskets and 1 full port tenderloin delicious ! Something I have never tried before and turned out amazing .

18-Jul-21
Have a Green Mountain. Love it. Anything that’s come off it is outstanding. The ability to monitor your meat temp to the degree on your phone is so clutch for timing. I never put water in there.

From what I understand it is very good at keeping your temp consistent compared to some other brands.

18-Jul-21
weber smokey mountain is the way to go guys

18-Jul-21
Don’t smoke it, but slow cooking a bone in rib roast over apple pellets or alder pellets was absolutely amazing. I’ve also done fresh tuna Belly which was amazing.

18-Jul-21
We have a Traeger, and it’s been a PIA since we got it. Always something that needs adjusting, reset, etc. Leaning hard towards getting a Pit Boss.

18-Jul-21
Pit Boss

18-Jul-21
Have had a Pit Boss for 6+ years. No frills, thing just works. Would never go back to propane.

18-Jul-21

WV Mountaineer's embedded Photo
WV Mountaineer's embedded Photo
You can’t really see it good but, I’ve got my fired up ready to smoke sone ribs a couple hours. They do a great job of smoking or grilling things.

The pit boss grills are ‘da bomb.

18-Jul-21
What size grill/model is that Justin?

18-Jul-21
legit?

https://www.pit-bossoutlet.com/

18-Jul-21
I have a Pit Boss at home and a portable GMG. The GMG seems to have more smoke and holds the temperature much better. Very little fluctuation (at least according to it's own temperature gauge). It's nice that it has the built in food probe. I think others have that now too. It does take a lot longer to warm up than the Pit Boss.

My biggest issue with the Pit Boss is the temperature control. I have ribs on right now. The temp is set to 200 degrees. I can't keep it under 300. This is a constant issue during the summer.

18-Jul-21
Have a Treager but wont get above 380 when I cook steaks. Will try some thing else next time around.

18-Jul-21
Have a Green Mountain. Love it. Anything that’s come off it is outstanding. The ability to monitor your meat temp to the degree on your phone is so clutch for timing. I never put water in there.

From what I understand it is very good at keeping your temp consistent compared to some other brands.

18-Jul-21
Oh, also I borrowed the pizza oven attachment for the GMG from a buddy and made my home made pizza and it was the best pizza potentially the best meal I’ve ever had in my life. No lie.

18-Jul-21

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
I really need to snag one of those, Adam. Heard they work great.

18-Jul-21
Love my Camp Chef Woodwind WiFi 36. It was between Camp Chef and Reqtec for me.

18-Jul-21
I've been using a traeger for the last 15 years. Great smoker, but won't get hot enough to cook a steak.

I think it's about to give up the ghost, so I'm thinking of switch myself. It seems the technology has made them idiot proof across the board.

Bigswivle is right...the true art of smoking meat with wood, water, and the patience to hang around and drink your beer while tending to your temps and vents, is rapidly diminishing!

18-Jul-21
Mark, it’s the Lexington model. I can’t remember the cubic inches of cooking surface. Walmart had three models and this was the smallest. But, I’m smoking a whole rack of ribs and 10 chicken legs on it right now as I type this. I have no need for the Austin XL

18-Jul-21
Pit Boss as well......

18-Jul-21
The romance of manual smokers is not diminishing fellas. I have a barrel smoker I still use quite a bit. It does indeed do a better job on thicker cuts. And brisket.

However, I bought this pit boss for more controlled grilling. Mainly for steaks, burgers, and chicken. I can crank it and get the grate temps to 550-600 degrees, sear a 1.5” inch thick ribeye for 2 minutes per side, cut it down to 450, raise the lid to instantly cool it to that temp, throw them back on for 3 minutes per side, and eat the best tasting, most juicy, perfectly cooked steak man has ever made. I haven’t had a complaint yet. :^)

18-Jul-21
I have a Yoder it is great, I have owned it for 5 plus years there may now be better options available not that I'm un aware of.

The one thing that I rarely see anyone talk about is consistent temp. It is my opinion that it is difficult to keep the temp consistent with any of the pellet grills. That is why many of the traditional smokers are still popular. If you want fast and convenient the the pellet smoker wins.

18-Jul-21
I had a GMG and it died after 6 years or so. Bought a Yoder last year and love it. It is 3x the cost of a GMG and I am fully confident it will last 3x longer.

It has a large hopper, gets up to 600 degrees, east ash clean out and built KS tough. I live 20 minutes from the factory and that was part of the reason for buying it. I recommend it 100%.

18-Jul-21
My pit boss holds the set temps and grate temps based on the sear shields position. It’s very consistent. I hope it stays that way.

18-Jul-21
Can you use these pellet grills as a smoker? Say to put cooler smoke on fish? Cheese?

19-Jul-21
Yes. Like any smoker, outside conditions will dictate how cool the smoke will be. Mine bottoms out around 200 on the low side. In the sun and heat of summer. Don’t know the temp in the cold as I always use my barrel smoker then.

19-Jul-21
I've had my Camp Chef for a couple of years and have had no issues. Love the fact I can set the temperature and get work done around the house with out having to constantly monitor it. I just watch the meat probe and hang tight when it approaches the desired internal cooking temperature. Produces great food with little fuss.

19-Jul-21
I got a Yoder for Christmas. My wife bought the seer grates with it and they are nice to have. Built like a tank and it will hold a bag of pellets. I have the WiFi with two probes and I can check it while in my tree stand and tell my wife when to remove the meat!!

19-Jul-21
I have three RECTEQ's and love them but my next one will be a Yoder for sure. From all my research they are the top of the line. I do believe RECTEQ's are near the top of the line too and better than Traegers in my opinion.

19-Jul-21
Pit Boss. Love the ability to open the flame cover to sear the meat. I used a water pan once doing a brisket, but normally don't and everything comes out juicy & wonderful flavor.

19-Jul-21
Love my Recteq but I still enjoy a stick burner the most when I have the time. The pizza attachment from GMG listed above in this thread does fit the recteq as well. A must addition if you ask me.

19-Jul-21
My friend loves his traeger but if you want to take it to the next level get yourself a Kamado Joe or Big Green Egg. I can cook a brisket at 225 for 15 hours without touching anything, sear a steak at 650 degrees or cook pizza at 750 degrees. That is all I use all year long.

19-Jul-21
Can you use these pellet grills as a smoker? Say to put cooler smoke on fish? Cheese?

20-Jul-21
Recteq is amazing and their customer service is top notch.

20-Jul-21
Check out Smokin Brothers pellet grills. Made in USA....Missouri. PM me if you want pricing.

20-Jul-21
Once you've talked to a salesman who sells many brands, and take a visit to the "back room" where the rejects and returns are.... you'll never buy a Pit Boss. 1 in 3 come back within 30 days with faulty electronics.

• Sitka Gear