Timbrhuntr 22-Aug-21
Rob Nye 23-Aug-21
BC173 23-Aug-21
Rickm 23-Aug-21
Rob Nye 23-Aug-21
JG 25-Aug-21
Rickm 25-Aug-21
19-Jul-21
Border will open for Americans fully vaccinated on August 9th 2021.

19-Jul-21
September 7th for other Countries citizens..

19-Jul-21
Two weeks too late for me.

19-Jul-21
See below from one of my outfitters in Canada. What I find interesting is how hunters who choose not to be vaccinated will be handled this fall with regard to their hunt contracts.

Hello all, Here is a little update!! Border Mobility for US hunters At a news conference this morning, the Canada Gov announced that the US border will open for discretionary travelers (hunters). Travellers must be fully vaccinated (14 days since second shot, vaccine approved by Canada). If travelling by air, a negative molecular test is required within 72hrs of boarding, travelers must be asymptomatic, in airports and on flights a mask is required, testing upon arrival will be at random (not every traveler). Proof of vaccination documents must be uploaded to ArriveCan app prior to boarding their flight and arrival at Canada Customs. International travellers will be enabled on September 7 with the same conditions. These continued travel conditions remain fluid and are subject to change based on global COVID conditions.

19-Jul-21
What a joke. I will not be spending any more money hunting or fishing in Canada. I used to like to go moose hunting in NFLD, but will now spend my money in the states hunting elk. The outfitter I used in NFLD said he may go bankrupt.

19-Jul-21
Too bad you feel like that Squash..... Canada's Provinces have so much to offer you!!

19-Jul-21
Spike , I agree, it’s too bad, and I wish you the best. But I will not be subjected to Trudeaus authoritarian, unreasonable regulations. In the USA , for now , we are still free to chose what we put in our bodies. We are already subjected to a bogus firearms tax when we enter your country, and now this. Not very welcoming.

19-Jul-21
Let's be honest here....no matter how much we fantasize that we might "boycott" hunting in Canada, it's simply WAY too good for that to happen in reality. Or at the very least, those who boycott will have basically zilch of an effect on the Canadian outfitting industry in the future. There are a number of species and opportunities that can only be gotten there. All you gotta do is plunk down the cash.

I will say though, while we're being honest, that if there's a choice to hunt elsewhere for a particular species or hunt in the future....say in the Western US, Alaska, Greenland, Mexico, or other options.....I'll lean toward the latter choices. But as I say, it probably won't matter one little bit to anyone but me. And we sure can't blame the Canadian outfitters for any of the ridiculous BS that happened.

19-Jul-21
Sticksender,

I tend to agree but I think there will be enough of a drop off of American hunters for various reasons that some of the already struggling outfitters won't survive. The good ones will switch gears and figure out how to make it work but unfortunately I believe some are doomed.

19-Jul-21
I’m betting that for every U.S. hunter or fisherman that decides to boycott hunting or fishing in Canada, another one will step up to take their place. The quality and quantity of game, along with quality of fishing that exists will see to that.

19-Jul-21
There has been a few hunters that said they refuse to get a vaccination. I have their spots taken already. I also told them that they can use their deposits as soon as the vaccine requirement is gone. No matter when that happens. They know that across Canada, the Bears population is Very strong!! I start baiting day after tomorrow.

19-Jul-21
Sweet! My Spring 22 bear hunt gets to happen! Personally, I’ve got zero issue with their policy. Their country, their rules. Always one’s choice not to hunt there. I do not pay taxes in Canada, so have no complaining leg to stand on. I’m just glad I’ll get to go.

FWIW, I live pretty much on the Mexican border. This time of year, I fish their waters weekly. I did today. You wouldn’t believe the set of rules, licenses, boat permits, biosphere passes, visas, and port captain manifest hoops we have to jump through just to fish Mexico for a day. Multiple justifications have their hands out and it’s not cheap. And when you get checked, you are checked by soldiers with machine guns who board your boat! You have no rights and are guilty until proven innocent. But we do it, because the fishing is good. So trust me, next time you bitch about Canada and their rules, it could be worse, a lot worse!

20-Jul-21
I got lots of texts from excited clients today. I responded “ There goes the neighborhood.” The ones that know me likely laughed, the ones that don’t yet probably thought “WTH?” lt will be great to see all my southern pals again and meet some new ones.

20-Jul-21
I'm glad for the outfitters that they will be able to have a fall season. I personally have no issue with the policy and I hope to squeeze in another bear hunt in Canada soon.

20-Jul-21

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo

20-Jul-21
No Newfy for us this year as the opening is too late and I start coaching August 16. A friend up there is keeping tabs on our property. Next summer. I had to cancel all my music gigs but am booked for next year unless Trudeau changes his mind. By then we could very well be into civil war or shut down again as we are headed back to masks again up here in schools.

21-Jul-21
All this talk of 'boycotting Canada' is hilarious. USA has had land border shut down for the same period of time and wont allow travel across it for Canadians. Severely restricted a lot of hunters, land owners, cabin owners, etc, etc from Canada. Its a two way street and a joint agreement.

Hell, even USA is still considering when they will allow non-essential travel again, as they havent done anything after Canada's announcement.

Some guys only see one side of the conversation I guess (or see what they want to see)

21-Jul-21
One thing I commend Canada on is that they have strong immigration laws and enforce them. Our Southern border is a joke. This shutdown has hurt both countries. Those Canadians who winter in Southern states, as well as border town businesses. I live in one. Fortunately for us, we have only one store in our village and they sell guns which has been a huge draw. Biden is a better gun salesman than Obama was, which I didn’t think was possible.

21-Jul-21
Yes. Comparing the southern border to the northern border is simply apples and oranges.

And, in case you’ve never been boarded by the US coast Guard, they pull up beside you, bail in the boat, with their issued M4’s and sidearms, pit everyone in a little huddle that they guard, while the rest of the guardsmen search every square inch of your boat. They do this off the coast of the Carolinas. So, it isn’t a southern border phenomenon.

21-Jul-21
I’m so glad some find it “hilarious,” because I chose to spend my hunting dollars in the USA. I though buying USA was good ? Go ahead, bending over for Canada is your prerogative . We’ve all been conditioned because we’ve been bending over for China for years.

21-Jul-21
I hope the USA opens before our trip in November so we can finally go on our vacation. Pretty sure they will... Hard to believe Canada is open first.

Visitors to Canada will have to download their Vaccine to the Arrive Can App 72 hours before arrival. Have a negative covid test 72 hours before the crossing. There will be a random covid test at the border. They will use the temp gun, if a person has high temps, will be tested. Must have an address in Canada to quarantine if you become sick. Which we have figured out.

Today the USA announced further border restrictions till August 21rst for Canadians...

21-Jul-21
"Today the USA announced further border restrictions till August 21rst for Canadians..." And yet there are still some on here that still complain about Canada and the border can't make this up !! Where is the when will the U.S. border open thread lol Oh I guess most don't really care !! And yet from reading previously on here I thought the US was wide open to visitors vaccine or not Bwahaha !! Home of the free just not free to visit !!

21-Jul-21
There are many of us that camp on Crown Land for hunting and fishing. Has anyone heard what address we are suppose to use for quarantining?

21-Jul-21
Timbr it's unbelievable isn't it? Words fail me.

21-Jul-21
The US is open from the south.

21-Jul-21
Here is info on quarantine... quarantine should be at the lodge you are staying at. Outfitter will need to save a cabin for quarantine. If at the border and you are selected and test positive, you can either turn around and go back home or quarantine at your destination in Canada.

Powder, work out a plan with a motel or local camp. Have an address for the border of such quarantine place. It all sounds confusing but will be manageable.

21-Jul-21
Also, make sure when you cross, that you have a test kit to do before you reach the US border for your trip home. I am recommending my hunters to bring extra tests with them into Canada.

21-Jul-21

21-Jul-21
Border agent at Int Falls just said no test required for reentry back into states.

21-Jul-21
Testing to return to the States is only required for air travelers.

21-Jul-21
Man I hope Trudeau doesn't change his mind. Canada's numbers are way lower than ours and vaccinated numbers are now well above ours. 80 some percent of our covid cases are now delta variant. Makes perfect sense to keep the border closed to prevent Canadians from bringing the delta variant here. That's heavy sarcasm in case I didn't lay it on thick enough. Looks like Biden is winning the race to who can make the dumbest decisions if you ask me.

21-Jul-21

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo

Ace's Link
Here's another idea ... an unmarked Quebec border in Vermont. YMMV

21-Jul-21
I shot a deer one time that died in the US. Went and dragged it back. Only took a solid .223 round to the calf. No biggie. JK on the .223 round. When scouting I've wandered over on the US side a ways to see sign. It's an unmanned border. Always wondered what a guy could really get away with.

Ran into a hunter who swore to me the border had fake mushrooms that had cameras and mics lol.

21-Jul-21
Well, it's just been moved to August 21.

TMBB

21-Jul-21
Where are people seeing a need for usa hunter to test before coming home?

21-Jul-21
So the Canada news is irrelevant until the us reciprocates right. Either that or go and just seek political asylum I guess

21-Jul-21

Powder's Link
The CDC says it's required for flying into the US. It does not include land crossings.

Here is the link:

21-Jul-21
Bou,

US citizens can go to Canada and return starting on August 9th. I believe Canadian citizens can fly to the US but cannot cross by land into the US but I'm not certain on that. I follow the land crossing info much more closely.

21-Jul-21
You can go to Canada but you can’t come back. US border still closed until August 21 or later…..probably later. Biden is very cautious!

21-Jul-21
Not true pete

The US has been limiting non-essential travel along both borders since the start of the pandemic and extending those restrictions on a monthly basis. The restrictions don't apply to cross-border trade, US citizens and lawful permanent residents, as well as people traveling for medical purposes or to attend school, among others.

21-Jul-21
I just called a border crossing in MN and they said if you are a US citizen (barring any other issues) you will be allowed to enter the US. They said the announcement of keeping it closed until the 21st only affects Canadian citizens.

21-Jul-21
Sorry bou google it.

21-Jul-21
Trudeau & Biden still have plenty of time to screw this up even worse. Dont count on anything yet. Hope im wrong.

21-Jul-21

JL's Link
To be honest.....I'm not sure ya can trust the CDC to get things right on this border deal.....it's too political from the top. On our side....we have an incompetent, career politician trying to lead the country. IMO....Prez Biden is in over his head on this Prez job. It's a job that needs an experienced leader and manager....not a career politician with no real-world experience in either.

The Washington Post Biden splits from Trudeau, extending travel curbs at U.S.-Canada land border Amanda Coletta 6 hrs ago Comments | Top general responds to reports he feared Trump would use military after… Researchers Observe First Recorded Lethal Chimpanzee Attacks on…

TORONTO — The United States on Wednesday renewed its pandemic curbs on nonessential travel at the U.S.-Canada land border for at least a month, marking a split with its northern neighbor and close ally on the restrictions, and fueling rancor on both sides of the frontier. a large orange truck in a parking lot: The Canada-U.S. border crossing at the Thousand Islands Bridge in Lansdowne, Ontario, on Sept. 28, 2020. It was closed to nonessential traffic to combat the spread of the coronavirus. © Lars Hagberg/Reuters The Canada-U.S. border crossing at the Thousand Islands Bridge in Lansdowne, Ontario, on Sept. 28, 2020. It was closed to nonessential traffic to combat the spread of the coronavirus.

The Department of Homeland Security said in a tweet that the extension of the measures — which also apply at the U.S.-Mexico land border and are now set to expire Aug. 21 — was motivated in part by a desire to decrease the spread of the highly transmissible delta coronavirus variant.

“DHS is in constant contact with Canadian and Mexican counterparts to identify the conditions under which restrictions may be eased safely and sustainably,” the agency said.

The announcement comes several days after Canada said it would begin to open up its borders to some foreigners for discretionary travel, beginning with fully vaccinated U.S. citizens and permanent residents living in the United States on Aug. 9; and fully vaccinated people from elsewhere on Sept. 7. Canada to open border to fully vaccinated U.S. citizens on Aug. 9

Canada and the United States agreed to impose the curbs on nonessential travel at their 5,500-mile land border at the pandemic’s onset in March 2020, renewing them in one-month increments since.

The measures have had limited effects on trade and the movement of some cross-border workers, but they have kept families apart, battered the tourism industry and altered life in close-knit border communities in ways big and small — and that some analysts fear could be more permanent.

Canadian officials have often pointed to their work with U.S. counterparts on the restrictions as evidence of robust cooperation between the traditionally close allies, even as those bonds were tested when Donald Trump was president.

There has always been some asymmetry to the border measures. Canadians have been able to fly to the United States for nonessential purposes, while Canada has kept its air, land and marine borders shut to tourists.

In recent months, lawmakers, business groups, cross-border mayors and some travelers have prevailed upon Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to ease the restrictions, arguing that he was taking a far-too-cautious approach. Some had called on President Biden to act unilaterally and lift the measures.

Video: U.S., Canada, Mexico Land Border to Stay Closed Until July 21 (Travel + Leisure) Current Time 0:19 / Duration 0:38 0 U.S., Canada, Mexico Land Border to Stay Closed Until July 21

Now, it’s Canada that is going one way, acting unilaterally to roll back some of the curbs, while the United States is keeping them in place.

White House press secretary Jen Psaki told reporters that the United States relies on “the guidance of our health and medical experts, not on the actions of other countries,” when making decisions about the measures.

The Biden administration’s move drew criticism from several U.S. lawmakers who represent border communities.

Rep. Brian Higgins (D-N.Y.), a co-chair of the congressional Northern Border Caucus, said he was “infuriated” by the administration’s decision, which he described as “illogical given the success of vaccines and counterproductive.” Canadian nurses who work in the United States are being made to pick a side

Rep. Suzan DelBene (D-Wash.) said the extension of the measures was “shortsighted” and left her “deeply disappointed.”

“Right now, Canadians can fly from Vancouver to Seattle but residents in the border town of White Rock cannot drive the short distance south across the border to Blaine,” she said. “Instead of helping them build back better, we’re putting our border communities at a significant disadvantage.”

On the opposite side of the border, the Canadian Chamber of Commerce expressed exasperation. Perrin Beatty, the group’s chief executive, said Canada’s higher vaccination rates and lower infection rates make it hard to argue that fully vaccinated Canadians pose a public health threat to the United States.

Seventy percent of people in Canada have received at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine and 52 percent are fully vaccinated, compared with 56 percent and 48 percent in the United States, respectively, according to Oxford University’s Our World in Data.

Beatty also pointed to a road map for a renewed U.S.-Canada relationship from February that said Trudeau and Biden “agreed to take a coordinated approach” when considering whether to ease border restrictions going forward.

“Less than five months later, Washington appears to have lost its copy,” he said.

21-Jul-21
No matter what the nay sayers are posting.... Powder is 100% correct. Only Canadians and other non US Citizens are denied entry into the states. Canadians can fly into the US just not use a land crossing. There is so much miss information that some are jumping on and believe the fake info as the gospel!!

Biden is working hand in hand in getting Trudeau reelected. Trudeau opens up Biden stays closed. Its all staged!!!

But the Border will open August 9th for all vaccinated Americans. *** Covid test 72 hours before crossing. *** Down load the Arrive Can App before you leave home. Put your vaccine info on the app 72 hours before crossing. ***Get to the border, swipe the app for vac info. Have your paper vaccine receipt as secondary source of proof of vaccine. *** show your Covid test results. *** RANDOM COVID TEST AT BORDER... If you look sick they will test for covid. If you are covid positive after the random test, you can turn around and go back home no problem or quarantine in Canada at a your pre arranged address. The random test will be VERY random.

You have to have a place to Self quarantine if you come sick with covid while in Canada. Must put the address on app. Our travel association is suggesting Ontario Outfitters to have an empty cabin set aside for quaratine. Our Association says to put your outfitters address as place of quarantine. WE HAVE IT ALL FIGURED OUT !!!

If you are fully vaccinated, there is a 97% efficacy ( Moderna / Phizer ). 3% might catch it again but slim chance. Come and enjoy Canada!!!

22-Jul-21
The “closure” of the US/Mex land border for non essential travel is a total joke. At least at the San Diego/TJ border crossing. It’s all just words. There is zero enforcement. Had a buddy cross back and forth just a few days ago on a surf trip. Biz as usual. No test, no nada.

22-Jul-21
This whole thing is just one giant CLUSTER F***! : (

22-Jul-21
Bi-dumb and Tru-dope are 2 peas in a pod and neither have a clue as to what "real life" is like! As has been said over and over, it has nothing to do with the virus - it's all about politics and control!!!!!!!!!!

22-Jul-21
Its not that bad Rut Nut...

22-Jul-21
I’m sure that clown Biden had to extend the US closure just a little longer so that he isn’t seen as a follower. It’s all about ego with these idiots.

22-Jul-21
MQQSE I was thinking that exact thing yesterday when I heard about it. When they asked his press secretary she said something to the effect that we won't be just following Canada but some bullsh!t science. I am convinced it's ego and they just can't stand the thought of being followers. My prediction is August 21 they will say hey guys everything is cool now we will open!

22-Jul-21
They only "follow" the science when it works out in the dems favor. If science falls in line with Trump the media won't touch it. What i line of BS that has became.

22-Jul-21
I'm glad to see it's finally going to open. It's a little late opening for my goat hunt, supposed to have left Tuesday, but at least it's opening.

22-Jul-21
Spike- I hope you are being sarcastic!

This lockdown was supposed to be a TEMPORARY emergency order to prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed. In Aug that will be almost 18 months!

If I have this right, Canadians can FLY to the US, but cannot DRIVE across the border? I guess the virus cannot make it across the border thru the air, but it can “walk” across............

I have a buddy who drives a truck who has been crossing the border multiple times every week for many many months and is unvaccinated....................... meanwhile I was vaccinated back in December and I cannot cross the border. Makes absolutely no sense!

22-Jul-21
Fly to Mexico, hire a cab or rent a car to get to the border and simply walk across. My cousin lives along it and it is wide open. Basically it is like going from one state into another. We are totally cooked as a nation. God help our grandkids.

22-Jul-21
Rut Nut, I hope the US border opens before our vacation. Nov 28th. Been waiting 2 years for it. There is 8 of us Canadians wanting to spend some canuck bucks in the South. The biggest issue will be the 72 hour covid test for those arriving into Canada next month... but hope it is ironed out a little before then.

For the hunters planning on crossing the border next month. Dont watch all the fake news sources. Will totally confuse anyone!! Talk to your Outfitter and get the real info such as requirements etc. Don't listen to your buddy, who talked to his in laws, who talked to their fishing guide in Canada who knows it all. LOL. Talk to your Outfitter!!

22-Jul-21
Anyone heard what the sheep & caribou outfitters (NWT & Yukon) are doing? In the NWT sheep opened July 15th, and in the Yukon Aug 1st. It must be an absolute mess for those outfitters. Wondering if it's too late and they're scrapping the whole season? Or are they going forward with hunts, and shuffling schedules to put all 2021 hunters through? Or perhaps moving the early hunters to a future year and resuming all others as scheduled? Those of us already bumped forward a year will probably be the last to know, as I'm sure their first priority will be to contact those scheduled to hunt this year.

22-Jul-21
I was booked for sheep in the Yukon August 1. They had last minute Canadian hunters lined up to fill in. I think the other hunts are going off as planned. I couldn’t get back in until August of ‘23, but could’ve come a later week next year but I was booked. I will say my outfitter and booking agent have been phenomenal to work with.

22-Jul-21
So the Canada news is irrelevant until the us reciprocates right. Either that or go and just seek political asylum I guess

22-Jul-21
***There is no restrictions on Americans crossing back into the US from Canada Bou Bound. Never was. Canadians are barred from traveling across a land border into the US. Also, it was mentioned that the US might change their mind before the 21rst.

22-Jul-21
Just been texting with our bear outfitter in qc and let him know that we would not come up for a visit this fall because of the prerequisites. Proof of full vaccinations should be enough. Told him wine and a good hunt in spring of 2022 should help with all this mess.

22-Jul-21
Any guesses on if it is going to be easier to fly or drive to get into Canada?

23-Jul-21
I'd say land border for a few reasons huntinelk

23-Jul-21
My group has hunted Canada over a dozen times and feels that being fully vaccinated is enough to cross. We have to wait until 2022 anyway so will absolutely have to do what it takes then to go.

23-Jul-21
I have a buddy who is hunting with South Nahanni. They contacted everyone and gave them 2 days to reply as to whether they can make their dates or not. He is flying up on 8/30.

24-Jul-21
How does one get tested before coming back into usa

24-Jul-21
Don't have to Bou... besides, Biden will open up before the 9th. If a hunter is worried about being tested, bring the required tests with you. My clients have checked out the requirement. Checked with both sides of the border and are satisfied they are going to have a great time.

24-Jul-21
I know driving is different than flying, but find nowhere on any US site info supporting no testing to re-enter needed and tons of places outlining the details of how to meet the three day before re-entry requirement for air travel. Glad I am not trying to do this until October. Let the early birds figure it out I guess.

24-Jul-21
Bou, You just don't want to hear the answers that Spike and I are giving. If you scroll back up there's a link that I put on this thread from the CDC and it explicitly says in the Q & A that the order for testing for air travel does not apply to land crossing.

24-Jul-21
Yea what a joke is correct… The Canadian authorities care nothing for their Canadian peoples business coming from the US… perhaps US should shut gate to Canada?

There will probably be an increase in the next few years in Montana Idaho and other places in the US concerning bear hunting. And by the way bear hunting in Idaho is some of the best in the world.

24-Jul-21
Tobpitbull, the USA border is closed to Canadians. We cannot travel to your country!!! Canada will be open, "YOUR" country will be closed to us. Your side cannot close our side... JEEEEZZZZ LOL

24-Jul-21
Spike buck is correct.the rules for air travel and ground travel are different. If your driving into Canada the procedure is a hassle but not difficult.Three days prior to entry you download the arriveCan app and provide your vaccination information etc and you need a negative test less than 3 days old when entering. No quarantine while in Canada and no further testing requirements. This is not a unique border requirement and is the best opportunity to return to normal available for travellers right now.And despite Canada reopening its borders and some provinces like mine completely ending pandemic measures on July 30 ,Canadians are not allowed to travel into the US.That said I encourage everyone that is qualified to travel take advantage of a great opportunity at game north of the border that’s had nearly two years of improvement. Demand is extremely high right now to get a hunt so don’t wait and welcome back everyone it’s been too long?? Let’s face it,none of us are happy with how this all played out but you nor your outfitter had any say or fault in these border issues.The relationship and the adventure is something we’ve all missed for too long,it’s only a few hoops to jump through and other than that it’s going to be a big reunion come opening day.

24-Jul-21
Just to clarify what you are saying Amused: you need a negative test less than 3 days old when entering. So 3 days or less before I head up, I need to have a new Covid test completed?

24-Jul-21
Screwball that is what we have for information yes. As well be fully vaccinated to avoid and further testing or quarantine.

27-Jul-21

28-Jul-21
CBSA vote to strike may delay border opening. Geez, what the heck next.

28-Jul-21
I’m worried the CDC is on the verge of shutting down the US again due to Delta variant. I fear Trudeau could get cold feet. I’m holding off booking tickets to my Oct moose hunt for at least another month

28-Jul-21
The CBSA are an essential service. Cannot walk out. Canada will hit the 80% fully vaccinated mark by opener. US cannot deny access to its own citizens. Especially vaccinated. Alberta is going nuts with covid cases. Pretty well all unvaccinated catching covid in Alberta.

28-Jul-21
Can't wait to cross the border on the 14th for 2 weeks of hunting. It's all gonna work out fine, and I'm not going to speculate on what could happen between now and then...just what the hunting will be like after 2 years.

I do have a question perhaps someone can help with. Would like to stop by Lucky 7 in Minn on the way up to get some xtra bait, just in case and to help keep the camp owners from spending the money. Lucky 7 had no idea what it would be like trying to bring across the border, they think there have been changes. Phone calls to the border crossing never get answered. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks

28-Jul-21
If you are fully vaccinated,Canada will be the only country opening on August 9th in North America! Don’t miss out on a tremendous opportunity to hunt Canada after two years of no hunts in many areas. Despite the obvious anti vaccine or anti Canada posts there is very very high demand for hunts and from what I’m seeing there’s more hunters wanting hunts than hunts for hunters. Don’t be swayed by a few posts that are clearly not people wanting to travel,there’s countless others jumping on the opportunity right now!

28-Jul-21
There is talk about new rules. I just get mine delivered by Lucky seven

28-Jul-21
Not hunting related, but via a new law, you cannot bring any fishing bait across the border this year. That includes frozen and salted minnows and crawlers. This is what came from the fishing resort owner as we are going the week of 8/20.

1. NO BAIT OF ANY KIND IS ALLOWED TO COME INTO CANADA. Normally, a person is allowed to bring nightcrawlers in manmade bedding but that is not allowed anymore. They are not allowing salted minnows either. Synthetic packages baits like Gulp, etc. are allowed.

I called the border to validate this and they confirmed it. I am looking forward to getting back there to fish. I expect the border to be a slow process.

28-Jul-21
I’m worried the CDC is on the verge of shutting down the US again due to Delta variant. I fear Trudeau could get cold feet. I’m holding off booking tickets to my Oct moose hunt for at least another month

04-Aug-21
In regards to taking bear bait accross the boarder, after a number of calls and emails I was told this is not a problem as long as no animal byproducts. Everyone I talked to bent over backwards being helpful...really nice folks.

Just need to get the test before we go, and hopefully get it back in time to still be within the 72 hours. Can't wait to listen to the loons...

04-Aug-21
Enjoy Canada and travel safe John.... we are looking forward to seeing US license plates on our roads.

04-Aug-21
The requirement for a molecular (Commonly either one of the PCR systems or NAAT) rather than a quick antigen type test puts a bit of a damper on the system. So far as I can find here in the Minneapolis area the most viable system which provides a required test (NAAT) on a same day result basis is a lab outfit working at the MSP airport that requires pre payment (In the neighborhood of $100) at the time of making an appointment. Lots of places for free antigen tests with results in a few minutes to a couple of hours and several places for molecular tests with a 48 hour turn around time which I find a little risky. This means that to cross the border sometime Sunday afternoon (Driving from Minneapolis that morning) I have to test between late Thursday afternoon and Saturday morning. Unless I find something better I suspect I'll make a testing appointment for Friday morning (Results Friday afternoon) leaving Saturday morning as a backup. This is for a fall bear hunt in Ontario.

04-Aug-21
Stubbleduck, check about the antigen test. I thought they would not allow that one??

04-Aug-21

Powder's Link
The antigen test is not allowed but he NAAT test is acceptable and you can get the results back in an hour or two.

This is a list of approved tests: These tests are considered acceptable molecular tests:

PCR - Polymerase chain reaction RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR Quantitative PCR (qPCR) Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs) Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) Isothermal amplification Droplet digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR) Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) RNA (Ribonucleic acid) Ct (cycle threshold) CRISPR Sequencing Next generational sequencing (NGS) or whole genome sequencing (WGS) Oxford Nanopore sequencing (LamPORE) Detection of the N gene Detection of Orf1a/b Detection of the S gene Detection of the E gene Detection of the RdRp gene

04-Aug-21
Thanks Powder

04-Aug-21
Stubblebuck, Check with Walgreens. They have the NAAT test listed on their site as available in several locations in the Cities. I do know some locations were suppose to be offering them but now are not. It's still worth a call to find out if your particular location has them.

05-Aug-21
Powder.....thanks, I looked at a couple of Walgreens that were supposed to be offering NAAT but turned out, as you noted, were not doing so. I should probably look some more as I have most of three weeks before departure. I'm only nine miles from the airport so other than the price it's fairly convenient.

06-Aug-21
PCR is the same as NAAT only offered at Walgreens 50 miles away

06-Aug-21
Canadian Border Guards have reached a tentative agreement... 3 days before border reopening!!

06-Aug-21
Hey spike, do you know if the random test at the border will happen at land borders?

06-Aug-21
Mike, random tests will happen at land borders. BUT will only test if the person crossing has symptoms or appears sick. *** No testing required when returning to the USA by land border.

07-Aug-21
I hope I am wrong but here comes Delta. Ohio is starting indoor masks in areas. My kids will mask in school and we are still a Red state. I expect shut downs by October so get your bear hunts in if ya can.

07-Aug-21
Ontario has been masked since last August. Canada is now saying its a disease of the unvaccinated. So far, some said border wont open till next year. Some said Border agents will shut border down. If you keep worrying about what if, you will fail in life!! Border will not close again.

07-Aug-21
Border into Canada at Champlain, NY yesterday showed massive traffic backup due to work to rule.

07-Aug-21
Has a contract been reached?

07-Aug-21
Yes.... I posted yesterday that a deal has been reached. GOOD TO GO!!

07-Aug-21
I know everyones " chompin at the bit " but i for one am not convinced they are gonna let this go away. My money would stay at home !

07-Aug-21
***Wait until 12:01 Monday morning to download your arrive can app. A new easier version will then be up. Then download anytime after 12:01 am

07-Aug-21
That Good news Spike. I have not been looking forward to that process.

07-Aug-21
That is good news.

Gonna hurt my plan to become a coyote running illegal U.S. hunters across Lake Erie but glad to see everyone back in business.

09-Aug-21
Reports from Americans crossing into Canada. Say that once you get up to the border agent, takes only 5 minutes to answer questions etc. if you have your arrive can app completed.

09-Aug-21
There was a 1 Km line up of vehicles on American side of those wishing to cross into Canada. Leading to a 7 hr wait to reach booth at Ft. Frances. But once arrived at booth took five minutes. *** As the day goes on the line up will disappear!! 45 minute lineup at Sioux.

09-Aug-21
Filled our first tour with Canadians, but have yankees coming in tomorrow.

09-Aug-21
Couple friends are headed to Canada this morning to fish. Hope they don’t see major lines.

09-Aug-21
Is an arrival test required for everyone or random? I haven't read this entire thread so apologies if already answered. Thanks

09-Aug-21
Hopefully the wait time goes down by the weekend? If you were cutting the expiration 72 hour covid test close it could be an issue.

09-Aug-21
They say random but I'm not aware of anyone having to do it. I give them credit. The crossing went very smoothly. The only reason it took a while was because of the total volume of vehicles. I came home today too and that was just like any other crossing.

09-Aug-21

JL's Link
A list of crossing requirements in this article.....for the moment.

10-Aug-21
Headed to Manitoba for Bear hunt August 23. I’m vaccinated, scheduled covid test, and have arrive Canada app ready on my phone. My biggest concern is the 72 hour window to get tested for covid, get the results back, and then being able to present them at the border on the arrive Canada app or some other documentation. I am driving. It will be a two day trip to get to camp. Anyone who may have suggestions, experiences, or similar concerns; I would appreciate your thoughts. Greg

10-Aug-21
^......that's a great question.

Anyway to get the 72 hour test done near the border crossing?? Maybe a local clinic or CVS/Walgreens??

10-Aug-21
Grape

Not sure where you are crossing but I bet you could get a test in Fargo or Minneapolis on the way over.

10-Aug-21
Moose, My understanding is that they will not accept one of the antigen rapid tests.

10-Aug-21
In that article link I posted above, it states the below as the requirement....

"Show a negative pre-arrival COVID-19 molecular test result taken no more than 72 hours before arriving in Canada. This would have to be a nasal swab test including PCR (Polymerase chain reaction), Nucleic acid test (NAT) or any of the following listed here. Antigen tests are not accepted. "

10-Aug-21
The Walgreens north of me offers PCR tests but the local one does not. Finding a tester is one thing getting the results in time to cross is another

10-Aug-21
Exactly Kat…people crossing the border in that 72 hour window need access to those results.

10-Aug-21
I would suggest you call several clinics that are on your route and ask if they do the rapid PCR test (NAT or NAAT). The results can be done in an hour. Not all clinics have this capability but some do. Some Walgreens locations also offer this same test. I would HIGHLY recommend you call the Walgreens store directly to confirm they have the test in stock. Their website isn't always up to date.

10-Aug-21
There was one guy with an expired covid test and they still let him in.

10-Aug-21
Chris, you’ve been on top of this from the beginning. Thank you and any info you can give that helps with the border crossing will be appreciated.

11-Aug-21
I believe you need a paper copy. I’m heading that way for a canoe trip on Sunday. I shouldn’t have a problem with the 72hr deal, but for people who that’s an issue for, most hotel lobbies have computers and printers. I’ve walked in to a random hotel before and printed something out that I needed. That’s an option if rapid testing isn’t available and you need to hit the road before your results are back. I’m going with the local Walgreens as well. Supposedly free. As stated, make sure you don’t do the antigen test.

11-Aug-21

spike buck's embedded Photo
spike buck's embedded Photo
Our first American Bear hunter in Camp since Sept. 2019. Said took 7 minutes to cross into Canada. No line up.

11-Aug-21
That's one strange looking American! They will let anyone in! See you Soon! Kathy says Hi

11-Aug-21
That's great news, Chris!

12-Aug-21
Just a speaking out loud thought. I was just watching the director of the NIH being interviewed on Breit Beirs show. He seems to think a 3rd booster shot is coming soon. The compromised immune system folks will go first. If/when that happens....will that be the next thresh hold to meet to cross the border? Keep an eye on that one and see if JT is telegraphing which way he might lean on that.

12-Aug-21
JT will call an election Sunday. September 20th is our chance!!

13-Aug-21
If getting accross the border is as easy as the ArriveCan app, should be a piece of cake. Looks like it's gonna be warm for the season start in our area. Might be some morning hunts which have worked in the past, but that's why I like to stay 2 weeks...can always count on some nice weather during that time. Missing the bear hunt last year drove me nuts...wish I had 2 tags!

13-Aug-21
Question about the ArriveCan app. I have that and want to load my vaccine and passport info but it seems I need to only do this 72 hours before I arrive. Is this correct or am I just technadumb?

13-Aug-21
It won't let you enter anything before 72 hours.

13-Aug-21
It won't let you enter anything before 72 hours.

13-Aug-21
Thanks, I guess I'm not as dumb as I look

13-Aug-21
You are correct John. Download 72 hours before. They swipe your passport and your arrive Can instantly shows up on their screen. Have a paper copy of your vaccine also. So far not an issue at the border. Have a good hunt John Sturtevant!!

13-Aug-21
Anyone fly

Heard you need a test to get back into US?

How’d you get that done?

14-Aug-21
Everyone booked for this week showed up on time. Only 1 had issues, not pertaining to covid. But still was able to cross.

15-Aug-21
Chris, could you tell us what your Hunter’s are saying about how the agents handled the protocol at the border. Ex. Does The arrive Canada app show up when we present passport? Do the agents ask for paper work on 72 hour covid testing results? Are your folks experiencing a much longer interaction with the agents once you reach the agents? Any comparison between the old time spent at the border and this new protocol as far as the time it takes? Thanks. Greg

15-Aug-21
Hey grape....I can likely answer in a pretty general sense. The information from Arrivecan all pops up when a passport or travel document is scanned. As well, an officer can input the 'receipt number' and populate all the information. That being said, its rare that its needed. Officers will ask to see the PCR results (either on a phone, or printed out, etc). Processing times at a land border crossing (at the booth) are maybe a minute or two longer, but overall if no issues exist, processing times are actually pretty decent right now overall. Hope that helps with a quick overview of what I've seen and experienced.

15-Aug-21
Thanks a lot Rack…crossing at Emerson for a bear hunt a week from today. Biggest issue I have concerns about is getting covid testing results back in that 72 hour window, and to be able to get hard copy before crossing..Greg

15-Aug-21
If you get a digital version of your PCR it will work as well. A lot of places send them online through a 'portal' or else via email/text that I've seen. Walgreens seems to be one of the more 'consistent' places that I've seen for PCRs lately and decent timelines. That being said I've seen some places get results within 2-4 hours of collection, so its worth calling and asking, especially having an option within an hour or two of the border in case your original option doesnt work out for some reason. Good luck on the hunt!

15-Aug-21
Again thanks..every bit of info helps. We have scheduled our covid tests to fit in the 72 hour window. We may have results quickly before we leave home. If we do not have the results, our plan is to leave Saturday morning, stay in grand forks, nd Saturday night. I contacted the motel we are staying at to see if we would have access to a printer. We leave Sunday morning to cross at Emerson. Hopefully , the results will be there. It’s too bad we are focused on our ability to cross the border way more than our bear hunt. I’d like to know if guys are getting turned away because of some unforeseen issues at border crossing with the new protocols.

15-Aug-21
Not that I've seen grape. The main reason people are being turned around is not using the ArriveCan app, or not having PCR test results. The other one would be people having a test type thats not accepted (rapid antigen, etc). Thats the main thing that I'd caution people who are preparing. I'm running a wild sheep fundraiser next weekend and have been giving that same information to all of our USA guests coming up.

15-Aug-21
Thanks

15-Aug-21
I used walgreens and received my results in about 8hrs

Customs was no problem just showed them negative result on phone went right thru

All the traffic going to Canada can cause issues. I made it from Det to Toronto then flight to Edmonton canceled. Of course everything is full and airport is a nightmare. Sat for 3.5hrs on plane because of long lines but once in no problem Give yourself extra time

15-Aug-21
I contacted local Walgreens. We should receive our results in about 15 minutes. She said they email results.

15-Aug-21
Rackmastre is a border agent so he knows what he's talking about. Screwball had a little issue because his info didn't download properly but they explained to him how to do it properly. But he is here now. Most only spent about 10 extra minutes than normal. A few said while at border facility, others got turned around because of ACA not filled in right or not proper covid test. All hunters showed up at camp that were booked.

If briging rifles, make sure your ammo is not in same case as your rifle and that there is a trigger lock on the rifles. That was mentioned a couple of times.

15-Aug-21
Sure is a great feeling hearing of guys in camp and a positive outlook for the fall!

15-Aug-21
According to hunters all the agents were very helpful. Gave Screwball a chance to fix his mess while at border. All our hunters were worried about getting the paper work filled in right and because of that they had no major problems.

One had 2 chairs, 2 guns and for some reasons had issues over that. Kept on being asked where the other hunter was. Was there for 3 hours of searching. But is now here and ready to bear hunt.

Timbrhuntr, the outlook for a great Fall hunt for all Canadian Outfitters is a positive one finally.

16-Aug-21
I am not good with technology. Are there secrets to downloading documents? Was hoping to get things downloaded and then submit when in the 72 hour window. Can not do that.

17-Aug-21
Is the quarantine plan part of the ArriveCan app?

17-Aug-21
Yes Katahdin

18-Aug-21
I'm an American living in BC. I have crossed the border 11 times during the shutdown. If you are an American the US border is smooth going through. They are a little bored and like talking hunting. Coming back I've had 11 two week quarantines, and the past 2 months I've needed the PCR test which is fast to get (won't be vaxxed). Easier to get home than ordering a beer in New York. Our animals have had a 18 month respite from hunters...the time is right to get on some mature Canadian critters!

18-Aug-21
I heard they do the test to get back in US at the airport. Have you done this? Sounds easy

20-Aug-21
Please Correct me if I am wrong, Canada only accepts PCR tests which can take up to 72 hrs to get the results. The tests MUST be done within 3 days of departure. I guess that if you get the test done within 3 days prior to your flight into Canada and you are still awaiting the results at the time of your flight, you are out of luck. Are there any "quick" Covid tests accepted by Canada? I know that the fast antigen tests are accepted by the US, but not by Canada.

20-Aug-21
These tests are considered acceptable molecular tests:

PCR - Polymerase chain reaction RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR Quantitative PCR (qPCR) Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs) Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) Isothermal amplification Droplet digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR) Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) RNA (Ribonucleic acid) Ct (cycle threshold) CRISPR Sequencing Next generational sequencing (NGS) or whole genome sequencing (WGS) Oxford Nanopore sequencing (LamPORE) Detection of the N gene Detection of Orf1a/b Detection of the S gene Detection of the E gene Detection of the RdRp gene

These tests use methods such as a nasopharyngeal (NP) swab, nose swab, or saliva sample. At this time, proof of having a vaccine will not replace a negative test result.

20-Aug-21
When I entered Canada a couple people were sent back for having the wrong test. Getting back into the US was the easiest ever!!! Literally the agent looked at our passports, asked us to if we were fishing, my brother answered yes and I have a bear, He looked at us and said: "ahhh, ok go ahead" and we left.

20-Aug-21
We are in Red Lake now for a fishing trip. We crossed over this morning. There was no line at Fort Frances. I handed the agent the ArriveCan confirmation page, the Covid test results (Walgreens ID NOW), and a copy of the quarantine plan provided by our resort. I did this for me and my son with our passports. The agent looked at it briefly, asked the standard questions, and we were off. It was no longer than any time previously. But, it was awesome having no line at all. The lack of traffic on 502 and 105 was eerie. There were no flaggers or construction at all either all the way to Red Lake. Trudeau must be paying the construction workers to not work.

20-Aug-21

JL's Link
Take this for what it's worth........

US Extends Nonessential Border Crossings Until Sept. 21 August 20, 2021 9and10news Site Staff

The U.S. announced Friday that has extended its ban on nonessential travel along the borders with Canada and Mexico until at least Sept. 21.

Despite increasing pressure to lift the restrictions, the government is keeping the ban in place to help slow the spread of COVID-19 and the Delta variant.

Restrictions do not apply to cross-border trade, U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents and people traveling for medical purposes or to attend school.

The travel restrictions have been in place since March 2020.

The border restrictions were set to expire on Saturday.

20-Aug-21
On JL’s post this means that the border insanity continues with a Canadian like me not allowed to drive to the USA, vaccinated or not. BUT I can fly to the USA, unvaxxed, with a plane load of people, I assume because me driving to the USA alone in my vehicle is more dangerous?! Or it’s just some more authoritarian rule by both governments?! So frustrating! But I’m happy some Americans can get through. It should be free travel between both countries regardless of vax status!

20-Aug-21
Mike....our illustrious Prez might be wagging the dog right about now. His stock ain't too high these days.

21-Aug-21
Letting how many unvaccinated in from the south but no none essential from the north? How long before Trudeau does the same?

21-Aug-21
He's to busy trying to lie and buy his way into an election win. Only reason he opened the land border is he thought it might get a few more votes you know follow the science lol

22-Aug-21
Just watched a video of trudope getting in his bus in Winnipeg on the campaign trail did they give it to him he won’t be coming back here anytime soon lol.

22-Aug-21
Good for them. I hope this election is the last we see of him completely ! The riding I live in was the only one in the area to elected a Conservative in the last election I am hoping others that voted ndp or lib see the error in their ways but not holding my breath. I saw a pole that showed 38 % thought he was the best choice as a leader ! What a bunch of sheep ! Can't fix stupid ! There's not a pill you can take or a class you can go to !!

23-Aug-21
Ass clown Trudumbass is a national embarrassment. How is it possible that people are stupid enough to vote for that useless POS?

23-Aug-21
Hey Rob.. the same can be said about the “idiot in charge”, in the US. There has to be a silver lining in these dark clouds hanging over both our countries. Let’s hope

23-Aug-21
Us land border closure extended until 9-21-21. Apaently that includes Mexican border as well. So you can walk in illegally just don't try and cross legitimately is what I get from that.

23-Aug-21
Rickm; you cant make thus stuff up. Lets’s ban the people that: A) own property in the USA and pay corresponding taxes or B) are willing to pay valuable tourism dollars on vacation. Instead lets let in unemployed people by the thousands to be a drain on the economy and health care system. That’s what happens when you let career dumbass politicians run the show. Unfeakingbelievable that total idiots are in charge of North America.

25-Aug-21
I heard they do the test to get back in US at the airport. Have you done this? Sounds easy

25-Aug-21
I hope the the voters on the fence that elected these two are paying attention. Never going to sway the die hard lib or conservative. It's the undecided middle of the road vote that seals the deal.

I am sure US outfitters are doing OK based on the application numbers. It's the Canadian outfitters and tourist destinations on both sides that are really suffering.

• Sitka Gear