Lewis 22-Jul-21
Lewis 22-Jul-21
Pat Lefemine 23-Jul-21
21-Jul-21

Lewis 's embedded Photo
Lewis 's embedded Photo
Soybeans looking great fence will be coming down good luck all Lewis

21-Jul-21
Looks like mission accomplished! Nice job.

21-Jul-21
Wish my lawn looked that good/green!

21-Jul-21
That's all going to feed deer? Looks great. Just for fun take the same photo in 4 week successions and post it here so we can see what the deer do to it.

22-Jul-21
I can’t believe that hot fence kept them out.

22-Jul-21
Good idea Quinn I just might do that good luck all Lewis

22-Jul-21
Beans look great, Lewis! What’s your reasoning for taking it down now vs waiting until they’re mature? You wanting to provide browse for them now, or do you feel the growth on the beans will keep up with the browsing pressure? My beans are still only about a foot tall. I didn’t fence that plot off this year, and the deer are keeping them ate off.

22-Jul-21
Looks like you did nice work. Good luck this fall.

22-Jul-21
The only hot tape is on the outside the inside is simple wrapping tape from Uline very inexpensive this is the second year using the same materials Lewis

22-Jul-21

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
I fenced my kill plot last year with a deterrent fence like Lewis’ and I wasn’t sure it was necessary because the adjacent field is 13 acres of unfenced beans. So this year I experimented with no fence and it got hammered. Big mistake. The next day I put my deterrent fence back up and I was able to save the plot.

22-Jul-21
Ouch hammered is an understatement glad you could save it Lewis

22-Jul-21
Looks like quite a few of you have deer problems. PM me....I kill lots of does. :)

22-Jul-21
All those beans should draw a lot of deer

22-Jul-21
An afterthought every gobbler we killed had a craw full of soybeans they loved them Good luck Lewis

22-Jul-21

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
That's not a plot mate...... that's a field! Pretty cool.

We used to hunt a place that had a horse pasture with the electric tape around a section of it. Axis are grazers like elk rather than browsers like other NA deer. Over two years the fence killed nearly as many bucks out of that place as we did, I think the final tally on the fence was 5 and we had 6 or 7. The hog wire and barbed wire we never found any, on this place anyway. The wire tension I'd guess had something to do with it. One time a buck tangled and another buck saw opportunity and they both tangled up and died. The lady with the horses rarely checked the fences, maybe once a week or three..... I think most of the time the fence wasn't hot (broken). That likely didn't help matters either.

Prolly good call to take it down before they start rubbin'.... =D

22-Jul-21
I’m not trying to start a fight and I understand the need to protect beans until they are big enough to withstand browsing so they can produce a crop for fall hunting and to provide food into the winter.

But my question is by fencing up until now the bucks are missing out on great nutrition for body and antler growth and the does are missing out on great nutrition for milk production that ultimately affects fawn growth and development.

It seems to me that by doing one thing it’s at the expense of the other. What am I not getting?

22-Jul-21
It’s funny right at edges they have chomped down but they never crossed the fence that I am aware of had a pig that or two earlier that rooted some on the inside as there is some Chufa in there but I’m guessing they were small and got zapped and never threatened again good luck Lewis

22-Jul-21
thats crazy. looks like a 3ft fence....

22-Jul-21
I've got over 20 years using the 2 in one out fence you see there but mine is heavy gauge electric metal fencing wire. I use it to keep the fawns out when the brush/trees are small and the bucks out when the get big enough to rub.

I started it my first year in a Riparian CRP enrollment. They said it wouldn't work and would not pay cost share.

Now they pay and when I asked about it they said I was their guinea pig and no they would not pay me.

It's not 100% but dang near. I have a homemade device to wind up the wire and have been using it on various plots for years. Beats the tape for ease and longevity.

22-Jul-21
Looks like Pat needs to call the local DNR/USDA office and apply for some crop damage permits.

22-Jul-21
Very nice, Lewis!

22-Jul-21

Lewis 's embedded Photo
Lewis 's embedded Photo
Hope this does not double post but the hogs rooted in my Chufa right up to the fence last night yes we have a cure nothing crossed the line Lewis

22-Jul-21
Sorry bad picture

23-Jul-21
I fenced my kill plot last year with a deterrent fence like Lewis’ and I wasn’t sure it was necessary because the adjacent field is 13 acres of unfenced beans. So this year I experimented with no fence and it got hammered. Big mistake. The next day I put my deterrent fence back up and I was able to save the plot.

• Sitka Gear