soccern23ny 25-Jul-21
Bow Bullet 25-Jul-21
Nick Muche 25-Jul-21
Kurt 25-Jul-21
Pop-r 25-Jul-21
FORESTBOWS 25-Jul-21
Bou'bound 27-Jul-21
25-Jul-21
My outfitter recommends a -15 degree synthetic sleeping bag for my brown bear hunt this fall. I have been unable to get a Kifaru Slick rated at -20, and have just purchased a 0 degree slick bag. Does anyone have recommendations for a -20 degree rated synthetic bag that is currently available? Does anyone have any thoughts on the Wiggy's bags? I'm debating just using the Kifaru Slick at 0 degree with an Army poncho liner. The only other bag I've found available is the Mountain Hardware Lamina. Thoughts? Thanks in advance for your input.

25-Jul-21
Ask him what the actual low temp range will be and what will you be sleeping on? A space blanket under your foam pad does wonders. I am sure he has had clients get cold, and just tells all to get the coldest rated bag you can get. I sleep a little hot, and my 0 synthetic coffin bag keeps me toasty down to 10 degrees sleeping on a cot, and close to 0 sleeping on the ground with a pad.

25-Jul-21
I have the mountain hardware Lemina used for 2 muskox hunts in the Arctic and it was good I think it was rated to -30 but honestly if you’ve got a -0 I wouldn’t spend the money on a new bag you’ll be fine with that wear something extra in it

Not sure that -30 lamina is made anymore.

25-Jul-21
adding an outside bivy should get you another 10 degrees

25-Jul-21
If you are concerned with your 0* bag, get a Sea to Summit Reactor bag liner. They come in different weights. The Extreme advertises up to 25* of added warmth.

25-Jul-21
Take a 0 degree Slick. That’ll be plenty for any fall brown bear hunt. They also make a -20 if you’re so inclined.

25-Jul-21
Wear your puffy pants and jacket in the bag with another coat over your wool sock clad feet. I feel I get about another 10* or 15* F rating increase from my KUIU Super Down Ultra zip-off pants and hooded jacket. Used them on a polar bear hunt in February that way. Took two +15*F bags, a Mt Hardware Ultra Lamina and a KUIU Superdown. Never even nested the two together, just used the KUIU bag as we had a running Kerosun heater in the tent. The bags did nest very well in testing at home, but were a bit of a hassle to zip them both. Didn't want to buy a -40 F bag for one trip and got by without doing it.

25-Jul-21
Western Mountaineering makes bags for EVERY single application needed. Second to none. I have slept comfortably without any heat at all at -19° in one of mine in sleep pants and a merino top. . They're unbelievable! Truly a lifesaving piece of gear. Not synthetic but gore windstopper outer on several models.

25-Jul-21
Grab a woobie

27-Jul-21
I have the mountain hardware Lemina used for 2 muskox hunts in the Arctic and it was good I think it was rated to -30 but honestly if you’ve got a -0 I wouldn’t spend the money on a new bag you’ll be fine with that wear something extra in it

• Sitka Gear