35-Acre 07-Aug-21
35-Acre 07-Aug-21
ND String Puller 07-Aug-21
standswittaknife 07-Aug-21
t-roy 07-Aug-21
27-Jul-21

darralld's embedded Photo
Thought I would share the pull mower I made with you guys. I use a lawn tractor to disc & plant with. But the mower deck didn't get high enough in my opinion for mowing clover. So I made this. I still want to add a way to adjust the mower height, but for now I have it set up to mow about 6 inches. It works great! It would work even better if I had three motors in a triangle formation & I might add one later. I coated all the wood with fiberglass resin.

Darrall Dougherty

27-Jul-21

27-Jul-21
I love home made!

27-Jul-21
Git’er done!…. You may be a…. Here’s your sign…

J/k Outstanding work!

27-Jul-21
Very interesting! Have you mowed with it yet? It looks really clean at this point so I'm assuming that it hasn't been used yet. I've been thinking of putting something similar together but I'm worried what will happen it I happen to hit a rock (that can be pretty jarring and I wonder it that would pop the bolts loose that mount the motor to the deck).

27-Jul-21

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
Now all you need is this a/c equipped tractor ! :-)

27-Jul-21
Man...all that plywood. You must be rich.

27-Jul-21
Yes I have mowed with it several times. Rocks aren't an issue for me. My plots have been established for a while. But I would think a rock big enough that it was going to hit you would see if you were paying attention. It would be easy to make a metal ring of some sort for you mower bolts to beef it up some. Some diamond plate would work good to.

27-Jul-21
Yup, way cool. I just looked at an ATV, pull behind plot mower, $2,800.00 --- ouch!

27-Jul-21
I’m speechless, horrified, and impressed all at the same time.

27-Jul-21
I'm envious of all you "MacGyvers!" ;-)

27-Jul-21
Righteous, I love it!

Does it leave an un-mowed strip in the center between the 2 blades?

27-Jul-21
rebuild with a 3rd mover out in front. That should get rid of that spot in the middle not mowed. I would build it with the decks from the other mowers, inside your wooden box to create lift. One mower may need to be backwards for the grass chute. I'd use 4 wheels

27-Jul-21
Well done sir!!!

For some reason.......Red Green comes to mind. If the other engine was a green color....you'd a nailed it!

27-Jul-21

35-Acre's embedded Photo
35-Acre's embedded Photo
Okay, you've got me thinking on this again... Would you think that it would create a weight distribution issue if I staggered the 2 mowers so that they overlapped a little? By shifting one forward and towards the middle and the other backward and towards the middle, plus moving the center support to the top of the overall deck, I could avoid the issue of the "void" in the middle. Similar to the attached pic.

27-Jul-21
^.....if you have that set-up attached to a lawn tractor, you could spread out the two engines and use the lawn tractor's blades to cut the middle. Heck.....with a 42" deck on my mower, plus say two 22" engines on the outboards.....you could have an 86" cut.

27-Jul-21
I love it.

27-Jul-21
Use what ya got! The clover won’t complain. The other end of the spectrum is 50+ thousand in food plot equipment to feed deer. But you only live once.

27-Jul-21
That is some Okiehoma ingenuity!

27-Jul-21
ND, I wish it was only 50k, I'm probably closer to 7-figures if you throw in my land purchases!

BTW - I think T-Roy has me beat?

27-Jul-21
LOL no doubt! I didn’t add in the land expense. Your food plots look better than a lot of farm fields out here! You guys should buy a combine!

27-Jul-21
Combine? Ha. Now that you mention that? I have been looking to harvest my own crops to sell the beans, but keep my corn. Imagine the corn piles I could use for bait with 13 tons of corn in Ohio? I'd be drawing deer off Sito's Kansas property! ;-)

27-Jul-21
When I saw your beans I thought that as well. Just think of all the government farm programs you could get in now.

That’s hilarious... Sito would have a stroke.

27-Jul-21

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
I love it!

Here's the roller I made out of some discarded boat dock wheels.

27-Jul-21

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Good looking rig, Darrell! With some rubber bands, a piece of heavy duty tinfoil, and a couple of paper clips for shear pins, you could make that baby self propelled in no time! ;-)

I ain’t got nuthin on Pat! He sent me a pic of his new sprayer rig a couple days ago. Said he just spent $1,300 getting one of the booms fixed, that he bent, trying to turn it around in one of his 1/2 acre clover plots….

27-Jul-21
You boys sure know how to Geterdone. The insurance man in me is a little freaked out but I'll get over it.

27-Jul-21

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
I was feeling springy with my little plot roller....then I seen some of the rigs on here. I'm out-classed!

01-Aug-21

35-Acre's embedded Photo
35-Acre's embedded Photo
Darrelld inspired me to get off my butt and build my tow-behind! Plus some extra side discussion - thanks buddy!

I put mine together without a bottom divider. The blades are about 1/2" apart from each other. I'm hoping that means now gap. This gives me 42" of cutting off of the 2 mowers.

We talked about making this adjustable height. I used a 7" piece of the 1 1/4" punched tube mounted on an angle. I used carriage bolts to hold that to the deck; nice and strong. Then I mounted the wheels on the same 1 1/4" punched tube. To make the adjustments, I just pull the pins and move the tube further back (I went with 2 for strength - who am I kidding? So when I lose one I have a second).

I had an old hitch laying around and mounted that so I can use the ball on my ATV. I tried it all out, it tows great. Both mowers run well (and together). Overall, I would say spent more time than I needed to on this. Probably about 12-15 hours but that includes 2 trips to the store, going out to buy the other mower and so on. Next weekend, I put it to work in the field.

01-Aug-21
^....well done!

Hopefully you can get both mowers to run the at same RPM or close to it so as not to get any excess vibes. Me thinks if they're out of sync.....ya might get some vibes. Think helicopters and aircraft props. Maybe you can post up some video of it in action???

Ok.....now who is going to build up a 3 engine rig??

01-Aug-21
Hmmm. I didn't notice any but I only ran them both for about a minute and then shut them off. More next weekend....

01-Aug-21
I thought I was fairly redneck, but y’all are rednecker than me !

01-Aug-21
35acre….looks great! My only suggestion would be to paint your pins blaze orange, so when you DO lose one, you stand a better chance of finding it ;-)

02-Aug-21
t-roy! Now that's thinking! (plus a good laugh to start my Monday out)

07-Aug-21

35-Acre's embedded Photo
I was even able to cut some tall stuff. Just have to go slow.
35-Acre's embedded Photo

35-Acre's Link
This thing worked awesome!!!! A short video link.

07-Aug-21

35-Acre's embedded Photo
35-Acre's embedded Photo

35-Acre's Link
This thing worked awesome!!!! A short video link.

07-Aug-21
Hell yes

07-Aug-21
Love this…

07-Aug-21
Good stuff, Dave!

• Sitka Gear