WYOelker 29-Jul-21
Old School 29-Jul-21
TD 29-Jul-21
WYOelker 29-Jul-21
Inshart 29-Jul-21
Ben 29-Jul-21
wyobullshooter 29-Jul-21
27-Jul-21
So for the last decade I have managed to limp along and keep together a 1978 Road Runner for my camp. Bathroom is gone, water damage (from before I got it) has rotted the walls. Nothing is square any more and every year I use a couple tubes of caulking and a bucket of sno seal to keep it going... No hot water, electric room heater for heat, and a window mount ac unit.

Tomorrow we are going to pick up a 2020 travel trailer that is super nice, and from a company and product line known for solid build campers. The difference between the 2 is night and day.

So for those who use newer RVs for hunting camp, what special tips do you have? Suggestions? Disasters to avoid? I am still strongly considering keeping my road runner as I can leave it out and not worry about theft or is a bear destroys it I am out like $500 in value. But the wife and 2 kids sure like the space and function of the newer rv.

27-Jul-21
FWIW.....My bro in Montana keeps telling me if I get a camper...get a four season one. Otherwise....it can get cold. To your point.....for the stabilizer jacks, he uses a battery powered impact wrench to raise/lower the four jacks. It makes it easy. He also has a level he puts on the floor in the doorway to check the trailer level as he makes the adjustments. He has a solar charger he keeps attached to the camper batteries to keep them topped off. Something to keep an eye out for......a couple of years ago he had some mice or chipmunks come in thru the bottom of the camper somehow and chew on some stereo wiring. I think it he said it was the wiring that is coated in soybean oil....which the little critters like.

27-Jul-21
Now days almost all wiring is soybean material and most of the critters love it! If you have wires hanging down and camp in the wild (where most hunters do) can (almost) guarantee a bite off. My brothers vehicles wiring got chewed big time - by rabbits - at his Arizona place. I don't know the solution.

27-Jul-21

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
I retired in the spring of 2019 and bought myself a big toyhauler RV. It's been a love/hate relationship but most of the hate has come from poor warranty service by the dealer.

For the most part Ive loved having my RV and my girlfriend and I have used the crap out of it. I've been to Sturgis twice with it and currently preparing for trip number 3. We've also been to Daytona Bike Week and a couple other rallies.

In the fall of 2019 and 2020 I spent the entire month of September with it out west hunting elk and most of November in Missouri and Kansas hunting whitetails. Having a comfortable base camp with a nice roomy bed, hot shower, fridge, freezer, stereo, TV, furnace and AC has been amazing and 100% worth it. I still backpack into the mountains to spike camps while elk hunting and it's great to know the camper is waiting for me for a break from the elements. In September 2020 I got dumped on with a big snowfall and I was pretty much stranded in my camper for a few days until some snow melted. I just hunkered down, arranged my gear, did some laundry, studied maps and watched hunting videos and movies on DVD. It made being stranded not bad at all.

My advice would be to learn all the systems and appliances in your camper. Make sure you know how to drain all the plumbing and winterize it yourself. Buy the quick attachment that attaches to your waterline near your water pump that allows you to quickly connect a hose and pump RV antifreeze through the plumbing. My camper is not a 4-season camper and it's usually fine as long as the nighttime low is no colder than the mid 20's and it warms to above freezing during the day. Last September before the big snowstorm dumped on me I knew some very cold weather was coming so I had to scramble to winterize my camper. I drove into town to try and buy some RV antifreeze but they were completely sold out everywhere. Luckily I had an air compressor with me and I was able to run that and blow all the lines out. So another piece of advice would be to always have two or three gallons of RV antifreeze on hand in your camper in case some unexpected cold weather is approaching. Several days later after it warmed back up I refilled my water tank and was able to use it again. Another tip is to get a solar shower bag. That way if you have your water shut off and drained you can still fill a solar shower bag with warm water that you heated on the stove and hang it in your shower enclosure and still take a warm shower using the solar shower. Most of the time when I'm hunting out of my camper in November it's winterized and I have no water in any of the systems so I use the solar shower bag to take a shower. Even if it is warm enough in Kansas while I'm hunting I have to winterize it before I drive back to Wisconsin because it's usually pretty cold in Wisconsin in November.

I have two generators one small 2000 watt that I run most of the time in the fall and I have a bigger 3500 watt that I run in the summer when I need to run the AC. I also bought a cheap $50 Walmart microwave even though my camper has a big microwave in it because my small generator will not run the big microwave but it runs the small microwave just fine. I also bought a small 5 cubic foot chest freezer that I keep in the camper when I'm on hunting trips. That way I can bone out my elk or deer start up the generator and freeze the meat quickly and not have to worry about it. A small freezer is cheaper than a yeti cooler. Last year I was hunting in Missouri and it was unseasonably warm and some guys camping next to me killed a deer but had no way to get it cold. They had a generator and I let them use my freezer to freeze it solid so they wouldn't have to hurry home.

As far as leveling goes you can use a cordless drill with the right size socket to run your camper stabilizer jacks up and down. You can also set a level on the floor on both axis, level the camper and then stick on some level bubbles on the exterior of the camper one in the front and one on the side so you can tell that it's level from the outside.

27-Jul-21
As far as mice go, they are uncanny in finding their way in a parked trailer. They love to nest in them and chew up whatever you got in there to build it. Anyway, I heard dryer sheets can repel them, the stinkier the better. Scatter them all around in the trailer. They don't smell to bad to me. I tried it and have not had any more nests. I guess it works...

27-Jul-21
I own and restore classic muscle cars and I'm on some online classic car forums. Mice are a constant topic of discussion and keeping them out of cars. Some people say dryer sheets work some people say they don't work some people say Irish spring soap works some people say it doesn't work. Some people say the mice eat the soap. Personally I've had mice actually make nests out of bounce dryer sheets so they haven't worked for me. The best thing I have found so far is I've bought pure peppermint oil and I put it in a little plastic container like a 35 mm film canister drill a hole in the top put a cotton ball inside and pull the cotton out the top like a wick. Fill the container with peppermint oil and set them around in your camper. That has worked better than anything for me in my camper and in my old cars. And it smells decent. The other thing I've used a lot in my camper is tomcat mouse poison I just set the little bricks all over in the cupboards etc and the mice eat it and apparently they look for water so they leave the camper and die. I've had the poison get chewed on but have never had a dead mouse in my camper.

27-Jul-21
Solar is a must. A Renogy 100 watt suitcase keeps two batteries charged all the time.. Never had a problem with rodents, brutal my campers have/had sealed undercarriage. I love having a camper for a base. Fresh food, great bed, hot shower. A other trick: get a little battery powered siphon for about $15 online. When you get low on water, run several cans to town, fill them, and empty a couple into your holding tank. Way easier than breaking camp and hauling to town. In cold weather, learn to dry camp. Like a big tent with furnace, lights, stove/oven and fridge

27-Jul-21
The Tomcat works. I used to leave it under the hood of my old lease truck, (after they chewed all the insulation off the wires) :-)

27-Jul-21
I used a 10'5" Lance truck camper for years, then bought a Nash 17k and used it for a few more. You'll really like the comfort of the new stuff. Best thing I did for an extended stay was to buy a 35 gallon surplus tank from the army surplus store then about 25' of 1/2 clear hose and use water out of that.

Next best thing is a Honda 2200 or the Predator 3500 generator for roof air.

A 12v tv that takes dvd's is nice for hunting movies at night.

27-Jul-21
A friend who lives in the boonies in West Virginia keeps his boat in a barn. Mice chewed through the power line to the trim motor. Hard to do anything about exterior issues like that. But he told me to buy the little bottles of peppermint oil from the baking section and sit them inside with the caps off. I had mice issues in a boat, nesting, so I tried it and I never saw a single mouse terd after that. Always park your camper in a position that makes it easy to pull out if things get slick. I have a 27 ft toy hauler and I love it. I wouldn’t tow it west to hunt elk though. I love a wall tent and wood stove base camp. Plus gas with a 6.2 liter motor would be expensive. Most of my gear stays in Wyoming so it’s just too convenient to pass up. I just truck home the canvas to hang and make sure it’s bone dry.

27-Jul-21
A few years back I had an old 1996(?) piece of crap pop-up camper. We left it setup for 5 weeks for the elk hunt and we got so many god damn mice in it. When we brought it back home we listed it in the classifieds for free and I can't believe how many calls we got and we fully disclosed all of this. We had to pull the ad after about 45 minutes.

27-Jul-21
First off, congrats on your new upgrade. My first camper was a '78 Jayco, so the year of your old one brought back fond memories. My current one is a 32' with slide out. I started out with a 12'x14' Hillary, then upgraded to a wall tent. I wouldn't tent it now for love nor money! lol!

Lots of good advice, and thanks to Mike I'll have to try the peppermint oil. I swear those damn mice can squeeze thru a pin hole. Every opening in my underbelly is filled with foam and those friggin' things still find a way in. Last year I used the TomCat glue traps inside and good ole mouse traps with peanut butter on the top of each tire, as well as on the tongue. Final count was 4 inside and 24 outside.

JL's brother and I obviously think alike. Everything he listed I do as well, except for the impact wrench. Like Mike, I use a battery drill. Something I'd recommend is a couple sets of Lynx Levelers and a jack stand such as an Anderson Jack Block. Most RV's these days sit higher, so it's nice not to have to fully extend your stabilizers and jack. Since you're from Wyoming, I'll assume your new toy is all-season. I'd hate to go through what Mike did last year. Like others, I use a 2200 watt generator at elk camp. It's small, light weight, and will run everything I need, such as the microwave and TV/DVD (so much for "roughing" it)! Ha! I also have a 2nd 2200 watt and a parallel kit that I use for the a/c, but I don't bother with it in September.

As others have said, a solar charger is a must. I'd recommend at least 100 watt with a 30 amp controller. I honestly can't remember the last time I needed to use my generator to charge my batteries.

As I'm sure you're aware, September in the mountains can range from chilly in the morning to downright cold. I don't like to freeze, and when using the furnace the blower will drain batteries quickly. The last thing I want to do is get up at 2 am to start the generator and hook up the battery charger because the low voltage alarm starts sounding off. Besides that, 10 minutes after you turn off the furnace, it’s friggin’ cold again. I have a line plumbed off the propane line going to the stove and the hose coils up nicely under the sink. When I know it's going to be chilly in the morning, I hook up my Olympic Wave 8 catalytic heater, set it on low, and it's nice and comfy throughout the night and when I get up in the morning. Last year was the coldest I've ever seen at elk camp. The second week of September it got down to 8*. All I had to do was open up the cabinets that had water lines behind and I never had to worry about anything freezing. It was easy back in the day when heaters were radiant heat, but with the new forced-air furnaces, personally I wouldn't have a camper without a catalytic heater.

Another thing to watch for. The longer your trailer, the more it's going to dip your front end when going thru a low spot. Until you get used to your new one, just get out and check your clearance before you commit. My buddy failed to do so and ripped off two stabilizer jacks.

I also carry four 7 gal water jugs to fill my fresh water tank when needed.

Most new campers come with one 24-series battery and 20 lb tanks. I alway change them over to two 27-series deep cycle batteries and 40 lb tanks. Not necessary if you’re staying in a KOA, but they’re sure nice for dispersed camping.

I won't go into an inherent problem with these newer campers here, but if you'd like, feel free to PM me your phone number and I'll be happy to explain the hell I recently went through. I learned about this problem waiting to happen the hard way.

One last thing. I just noticed Mike's photo. Never, and I mean NEVER, put your awning out unless you're in the immediate vicinity. That good ole Wyoming wind can come up in a heartbeat. I've seen more than one awning flipped up over the top of the camper. It's not a pretty, and very expensive, sight.

28-Jul-21
To Robs point, yes, never leave your awning out unattended. I also haul several 5 gallon jugs of water in my truck bed to refill my tank. When the jugs are empty I refill them in a stream or river, pour a little bleach in them and then siphon them into my water tank. Sometimes I pour the water from one jug into another empty jug using a funnel lined with a coffee filter to strain out any floaties before siphoning into my water tank. This year I'm going to buy a 12 volt transfer pump to transfer the water from the jugs to my tank. I don't drink the river water, only use it for bathing.

I've never had a solar panel but it's something I'll look into. So far my generator and two large deep cycle batteries has served me well.

If you don't have a weight distributing or anti away hitch setup I strongly recommend it. When I bought my 30' toyhauler they advertised it as "half ton towable" but after towing mine through the Rocky Mountains twice I sure am glad I have a 3/4 ton diesel. I can't imagine towing it around with a half ton.

28-Jul-21
Looks like we’re playing tag team! Honestly, there’s so much that goes into RV camping that regardless of how much you share, someone else will post something that makes you think of something else.

Yep, an equalizer hitch is a must! The nice thing about the one’s these days is they don’t require a separate sway bar. As important as an equalizer hitch is, it’s equally important that it’s set up correctly for your truck and camper. Otherwise it won’t proper distribute the weight. It’s amazing how many rigs you see going down the road that are improperly adjusted. Your truck and trailer should both be level. It’s easy to see the ones that are tongue high or tongue low. When there’s too much, or too little, weight on your hitch, your stability is compromised.

28-Jul-21
Everything is getting covered pretty well but I have a couple. Put a trail camera somewhere discreet that will take pictures of your trailer if movement is around when you are gone. Had a breakin one time when hunting and got vehicle plate number. 2 guys were prosecuted. Take a little buddy heater with you and use it in the mornings to warm up the trailer and those cold nights will keep the chill off a lot cheeper than the trailer heater. Take a 5 gallon jug for water from the creek for things that you don't need pottable water. Drinkable lasts longer. Take a wasp catcher with you.

28-Jul-21
If using a half ton Truck try air bags, made a huge difference for me .

28-Jul-21
A new 1/2 ton will pull 12K, I've seen it on the Internet...

28-Jul-21

Meat Grinder's embedded Photo
Meat Grinder's embedded Photo
Clearly these other responders don't understand what you mean by "Hunting from an RV". ;-)

Congrats on the new purchase.

28-Jul-21
Cheesehead Mike and Jaquomo both have very good points. I had an 87 Coachman , 18' 5th wheel. It made a wonderful hunting rig. I flipped the axles for added clearance. Used the Peppermint oil and Tomcat and they worked great keeping the mice away. Sold it this year after owning it for 12 years for more than I paid for it. Hope I made the right decision, sure liked a hot shower and a comfy bed at the end of the day. Replaced it with a 2015 2 horse trailer with living quarters. Still will have all the amenities but, also lots of carrying capacity, locked and inside a nice dry storage area.

28-Jul-21
+1 to what Ben said, flip your axles for better clearance so you aren't tearing your plumbing off. I also changed out my wheels and added taller profile tires for better clearance. It's a great little setup now!

28-Jul-21
I always hide a trail cam to watch my camp when I'm gone. Haven't had a problem but it only takes one time. Another +1 on the Buddy heater. I refill one pound propane bottles and carry a dozen or so. Besides having a load distribution hitch, add a friction sway controller. It's a quick add and inexpensive but made a HUGE difference when towing our 24' toyhauler down the highway.

Another thing I did for my hunting trailer was to remove the AC and add a two-way Fantastic Fan with a skylight in the roof. Life changer on those warm afternoons.

28-Jul-21
Most important: get a battery operated combo carbon monoxide/ smoke detector and use it. Too many people die in campers due to carbon monoxide. For the same reason, never use a catalytic heater or Buddy heater in a camper. They aren't designed for closed campers and can kill you. If you don't believe me call the manufacturers. Use the furnace that is built in the camper and use a small generator once a day to charge your batteries. They will power the furnace blower overnight unless you need new batteries. Two 30 lb propane tanks will last quite a while for heat, fridge and cooking. In my 28 ft camper they last two weeks.

If you travel very far to hunt it's a good idea to have two spare tires for the camper. Keep the camper tires aired up to the right pressure for maximum load rating and be sure you understand the speeds your camper tires are rated for (some are only rated for 65 MPH). Tires should be replaced when 7 years old even if they still have good tread. The month/year of manufacture is stamped on the tire in a code. You can Google how to read it.

Unless it's very, very, cold your water won't freeze up. The water tank/pump and lines are located to avoid freezing if you are keeping the living area of the camper above freezing. Night time lows of 15 degrees are not a problem. There is no need to winterize while you are camping if it gets cold.

Be aware that some devices built into modern campers can drain your batteries. Those gas detectors are notorious for that.

The fridge in most campers will run off propane but it's brain will need a little electric power so if your batteries die your fridge will quit too.

Don't try to level your camper with the stabilizer jacks. They are there to stabilize the camper not to jack it up.

Park your camper where trees won't land on it when they blow over. Park where you get morning sun.

28-Jul-21
"For the same reason, never use a catalytic heater or Buddy heater in a camper. They aren't designed for closed campers and can kill you. If you don't believe me call the manufacturers."

Could you please clarify what you're saying. I agree one should never be used in a closed camper. A vent and window should always be cracked a couple inches or so for ventilation, but that should be common practice in a camper anytime. Saying a catalytic heater, or non-catalytic heater such as a Buddy heater, should never be used in a camper is simply not true. That's what they're designed for. I prefer a catalytic heater over non-catalytic for several reasons, but with ventilation they pose no more risk than your refrigerator.

28-Jul-21
Buddy heaters are ceramic, and designed for indoor use. Crack a window. I've been using Buddy-type heaters for decades when bunting in November and December and the CO alarm has never gone off. I wouldn't sleep with it on, however.

28-Jul-21
I've been using 2 6v batteries wired in series for 20 years. The reserve hours are higher compared to 2 12v batteries and seem to take being run down and charged back up better.

Couple of good tips above. I like putting the trail cam around camp idea.

28-Jul-21
I have had my camper freeze up and break water lines in the mid 20's overnight. Every camper is different, and many are not as well insulated as they could be. My current trailer has heated fresh water and black water tanks for cold weather. This is fairly uncommon, but an available option on some models. Be very cautious of leaving water in the lines below freezing. If you run the furnace inside it will help, but is likely not worth the risk. Bill

28-Jul-21
Sorry but I have to disagree with the statement that your water lines and tank won't freeze when you're camping, and I think it's bad advice to say you shouldn't be concerned about it. I realize that certain campers are probably different but I've personally had my water lines freeze up more than once to the point that my pump would run but no water would flow from the faucets. If your pipes are frozen to the point that they won't flow, you may be very close to having them freeze solid and burst or having a line or fitting spring a leak in a hard to reach location. I've had to repair frozen/burst water lines in a camper and it's no fun. I certainly wouldn't want to deal with it while I'm hunting. Once your water lines are frozen to the point that they won't flow, it's too late to winterize because antifreeze will not flow through frozen water lines. Once it's too late to winterize, if it doesn't warm up and/or continues to get colder you're screwed. It's a slippery slope that you don't want to go down. If your water tank is frozen to the point that it won't drain you run the risk of it freezing solid and cracking. You could probably fire up your water heater so it won't freeze but if it does freeze solid it will burst and be destroyed. My camper also has an outside shower that is very susceptible to freezing because the plumbing is outside the camper. If your lines freeze and it doesn't warm up soon, your only option might be to get it into a heated shop so it can thaw out.

I can completely winterize my camper (kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower, outside shower, toilet, water lines, drain water tank and water heater in about 15 minutes with less than 2 gallons of RV antifreeze. It's very cheap insurance and peace of mind against major problems. I would much rather be proactive and make sure it's winterized than deal with the consequences of things freezing up.

In regard to the Buddy Heater discussion, I have two small electric space heaters that I use to help take the chill off. Every morning the first thing I do after I wake up is fire up my small generator while I'm outside taking my morning pee. The generator, space heaters and furnace run while I'm having breakfast, getting dressed and gathering my gear for the day.

29-Jul-21
Be sure to install the "shoot thru screens".

29-Jul-21
The air bag suggestion is a good one. I've heard good things about those when towing heavy loads.

29-Jul-21
I had Firestone air bags on a half ton back when I only had a pickup camper and they worked well to help handle the extra weight. However, the advantage of a ¾ ton or 1 ton is not just the additional weight capacity, but also the fact that they usually have bigger brakes, heavier duty transmissions, axles, etc and the trucks are just heavier and less prone to swaying. Diesels also have engine braking. It's pretty nice to be able to coast down long mountain grades using the engine brake and never have to touch the brake pedal or overheat your brakes.

29-Jul-21

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
I've hunted from a RV base camp all my life, starting with my Father's pickup camper to the Gulfstream motorhome I have now. I've concluded RVs are like boats. The best 2 days of owning one is the day you buy it and the day you sell it. Here are a few mistakes I've made over the years that you may learn from.

1. If you blow out your water system to winterize it, which I do, remove the water pump and store it in a heated environment, afterwards. Otherwise, residual water will freeze inside the pump and ruin it. I replaced the water pump on my RVs at least 4 times before I started doing this. Also make sure the hot water tank is empty before storing it. I failed to do that once, and when the water froze, it split a huge crack in the tank. Replacing it wasn't a fun chore.

2. Run your generator at least 2 hours every month, even when the RV is in storage. I failed to do this on mine. Now my generator will start, but it dies after a second or 2. Finding a certified mechanic who can work on it has proven difficult, so I just bought a portable Honda generator that serves the purpose for everything but the AC.

3. Get a battery tender and use it when storing your RV. I also disconnect the cables on the cabin battery when in storage. That eliminates any parasitic drains on the battery.

4. Don't take for granted that anything is in good working order before hitting the road. Test everything before leaving. The best way to ruin a trip is to have to work on your RV mid-trip.

5. Understand how every system in your RV works, and carry the necessary tools to fix the most common failures. I even carry one of the special crimping tools, and extra parts, for making plumbing repairs. Leaks in the water system have been my most common problem.

6. Find appropriate sized washable throw rugs to cover every sq-ft of the cabin floor. You'll be surprised at how filthy the floor of your RV can get, especially if you have kids or dogs. You can shake the throw rugs out periodically while camping, then wash them when you get home. They will keep the factory floor coverings looking nice.

I could go on, but I'll leave it here for now. I'm a firm believer that you need have a few Macgyver skills to own a RV. Learn to fix things yourself, otherwise you will get to know your dealership's service department intimately.

Matt

29-Jul-21
Bought an old trailer and shopping for a new one. It seems there is no such thing as a “great reliable” trailer. They all suck. Tough pill to swallow. But I think you just have to accept the fact that no matter how much you pay or how new you buy it doesn’t matter. You’re still gonna be fixing. If you can’t fix, don’t get in the game

29-Jul-21
Thanks a ton for all the tips.

I think we bought a really good used unit. As of right now, everything is working. Knock on wood. The previous owner had records of all maintenance. It already sits decently high, but I will strong consider axle flip.

Luckily I work on vehicles all the time and grew up build houses. Between my my basic skills and youtube and the forums I can fix about anything. The key however is not having anything break in the first splace.

So my camper had a few good things... 1 is has 2 6volt batteries instead of a 12. I hear this is a good things for longevity of the system. I Currently have a remote start 3500 champion generator (really want the smaller parallel honda set up.

It is a all weather package. Has heated tank and seal underbelly with the heater vents designed to help protect the set up.

Has 2 30 pound propane tanks and I have an extra 3 30 pound tanks for my tent set up etc.

Mice were always a pain in my old camper. We killed a lot every year. Always used snap traps and peanut butter. I will however look into the peppermint.

Always have at least one if not 2 cameras on my camp.

29-Jul-21
As I read this thread it makes me thankful I sleep in a tent with a wood stove :-)

29-Jul-21
Yeah, but like Bigdan used to say....... sure is nice to come back to camp for a chocolate cake out of the oven with ice cream on top..... =D

29-Jul-21
Old School I have one of those as well as a back pack spike setup. With 2 kids that hunt and a wife as well, the tent was great for longer periods of time, but this camper will be great for the all the short trips etc. We will start hunting Aug. 15 and our last hunt will Be over Thanksgiving. The plan is to keep the camp stock and ready the entire time. With us going to a dry camp in mid October...

29-Jul-21
From what I've heard -- no first hand experience --- be very careful about flipping your axle, from my understanding your camper will be very susceptible to high winds traveling on the highway.

Maybe it's just rumor ..... those that have flipped them can chime in.

29-Jul-21
Mine was very stable, even running 70+ in Wyoming and South Dakota in a severe thunder storm. I couldn't tell any difference on the highway from before or after the flip. What I did notice was I didn't drag on forest service roads that were poorly maintained.

29-Jul-21
Before I traded for my current camper, I had a 30’ Wilderness for 14 years. As part of the deal when I bought it, I had them flip the axels. It’s not like you’re making an extreme modification. You won’t notice the approximate 3” difference while towing, but as Ben says, you’ll certainly appreciate it when you get off the highway. When I got my current rig, instead of flipping the axels they installed a 3” beam between the frame and trailer body. Serves the same function.

Regardless of whether you have your camper raised or not, it’s just not wise to tow without a property set equalizer hitch and sway protection. My old camper had the older style hitch that required a separate sway bar. The newer ones don’t require the separate bar, which is MUCH more convenient.

• Sitka Gear