WV Mountaineer 01-Aug-21
txhunter58 01-Aug-21
txhunter58 01-Aug-21
Grey Ghost 01-Aug-21
txhunter58 01-Aug-21
28-Jul-21

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Came across this little nugget of information - The CPW Hunting Atlas now has a selection for legal ebike routes on BLM Lands.

28-Jul-21
Cool! Now we know where to avoid the crowds of Sitka Warriors, B&R wannabes, and shirtless Cam Hanes chasing after elk!

28-Jul-21
Jaq, you only wish you could hunt elk shirtless. I know I do.

28-Jul-21
I’m just glad David Goggins isn’t an elk hunter. He’d make me feel like a real slob!

28-Jul-21
Jaq runs em down in nothing but his loin cloth!

28-Jul-21
I’m just glad David Goggins isn’t an elk hunter. He’d make me feel like a real slob!

That guy is intense

28-Jul-21
Cool! Now we know where to avoid the crowds of Sitka Warriors, B&R wannabes, and shirtless Cam Hanes chasing after elk!

Lmao

28-Jul-21
Who doesn’t hunt elk shirtless?

Matt

29-Jul-21
Despite all the chuckles, this appears to be a step in the "right" direction to clarify that a battery powered assist bike is NOT the "same" as a standard mountain bike, despite the claims by many here on Bowsite, and elsewhere, that there is no difference.

29-Jul-21
Pretty sure anyone that’s prone-bike talks them up as being different and better than mountain bikes.

No different as far as wear and tear on terra firma, and much less nimble

29-Jul-21
Carl, show us any posts that claim e-assist bikes are the "same as a standard mountain bike". No one has ever said that. Rather, some have maintained that low-powered Class 1 and 2 bikes should be permitted wherever standard MTBs are permitted, unless otherwise regulated by local authorities. This is CO state law (along with many other states), and also the Department of Interior rule. The hot rod Class 3 ebikes are closer to electric motorcycles, and are limited to motor vehicle trails. And rightly so.

Personally, I would rather encounter a couple folks slowly trundling along on their Class 2 fat bike than kamikazes recklessly blasting down the trail on their carbon fiber full suspension MTBs, yelling, "Get out of the way!!", while pushing everyone off into the bushes.

29-Jul-21

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
No shortage of e-assist permitted BLM bike access in my neck of the woods......

29-Jul-21
Of course they are not "the same". I was referring to them being lumped into being allowed on standard mountain bike trails. Class 1 means you have to pedal to get any assist. Class 2 means you can use a throttle and not have to pedal at all. However, I think the main thing misunderstood is the power. Watts mean nothing to the general public. "Low powered" ebikes typically go up to 500 watts. A Tour de France professional can generate about 400 watts for about 20 min. So even "low powered" ebikes provide A LOT of extra power. I will continue to espouse ebikes have their place, just as planes, trains and automobiles, but not blanketly everywhere typical MTBs are allowed.

While there are arseholes on FS Carbon bikes, there are bowhunters, rifle hunters, tree huggers and hikers who are arseholes too. Guess what, I'm beginning to see arseholes on ebikes as they become more popular as well.

On local MTB trails we can see trail impacts from literally one ebike rider (e.g. roosting skid marks on uphills, which is impossible for a non-powered MTB), so they don't necessarily have only the same impact as a non-powered MTB. Heck, when driven responsibly a motorcross motorcycle doesn't have much more impact than a non-powered MTB, but by the ebiker logic we might as well blanketly open up every mountain bike trail to motos...

29-Jul-21
Interesting. What I see on MTB trails open to ebikes are deep inside turn ruts from high-speed MTB riders.

By federal law, "low-powered" ebikes are below 750 watts.

We can agree to disagree. However, with the explosion in ebike sales, combined with the general aging of the outdoor-oriented population, it won't be long before the voice of the conventional MTB community is just a little squeak to policy-makers. The number of states coming on board, the DOI ruling, all indicate the direction this is headed.

BTW, yours is the exact same argument trad bowhunters made when compounds began gaining headway. I remember, because I was there. Now look where we are.

29-Jul-21
And I thought only crossbow hunters used E-bikes.

29-Jul-21

Knife2sharp's embedded Photo
Knife2sharp's embedded Photo

29-Jul-21
Too funny Knife2sharp!

01-Aug-21
That’s funny no matter which side you are on.

But the same drawing could be made for footwear, clothes, binocs/scopes, releases, broadheads………

The only question is where to stop. And the majority of recreationists/ hunters ultimately decides that.

01-Aug-21

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Fixed it.

Matt

01-Aug-21
Today's sub 10kg carbon fiber full suspension MTBs are a hell of a far cry from the original MTBs we started with. Perhaps we should start thinking about limitations on that technology, because it doesn't seem fair when some man-bunned hotshot on a Santa Cruz blasts by me and pushes me off the trail on my "traditional" Raleigh...

01-Aug-21

WV Mountaineer's embedded Photo
WV Mountaineer's embedded Photo
Lou trying on his early season gear.

01-Aug-21
It really all comes down to numbers. People who are for relaxing restrictions on ebikes are mostly the hard core, go to any length guys of the past who don’t want to give up access to distant lands we have always hunted as we age.

Those against are where we use to be physically, and think it’s our time to give it up,?so they can have those distant honey holes with less competition.

That said, it is a double edged sword for us. Because it WILL increase the number of hunters in some of those hard to reach places as mellennials realize there is an easier way….

01-Aug-21

01-Aug-21
"It really all comes down to numbers. People who are for relaxing restrictions on ebikes are mostly the hard core, go to any length guys of the past who don’t want to give up access to distant lands we have always hunted as we age".

I think that's an inaccurate generalization. At least it is for me.

First, I'd argue that riding an e-bike requires more physical fitness than hiking in most western hunting terrains, especially with a pack on. An e-bike doesn't magically turn an old out-of-shape hunter into a mountain scaling beast. If that's your perception, then I assume you've never ridden an e-bike. If the trail is difficult enough to limit it to only the youngest and fittest hunters, then I guarantee you it's too difficult to ride an e-bike on...for virtually anyone.

My motivation for buying an e-bike had nothing to do with my age, level of fitness, or desire to access areas that I can no longer hike to. For me, it was all about being able to cover many miles of BLM roads and 2-tracks, that most hunters use ATVs on, and do it quickly, and most importantly, silently. It's a healthy alternative to using a noisy, stinky, wildlife spooking ATV for me.

My elk hunt last year was the perfect example of the benefits of an e-bike over an ATV. I routinely rode my e-bike into easy rifle range of the same elk herds that would spook badly when they heard an approaching ATV from over a mile away.

Rather than advocate for less restrictions on e-bikes, I'd advocate for more restrictions on ATVs, especially on BLM lands. I think that would provide a better hunting experience for everyone in the long run.

Matt

01-Aug-21
It was certainly an incomplete generalization.

There are so many reasons I have jumped in. After having mine for over a year, I just received and put my wife’s ebike together yesterday! Hoping it gets her further out with me.

And Certainly you still have to be very physically fit to ride an ebike in the mountains. Earlier this summer I rode up a slope that would have taken me 30 min to walk. Took 10 on the bike, but I was winded and sweating when I made it up there. Could I have walked up it with a loaded pack on my back? Yep, but at 63, it keeps getting harder and with a bike I can go where I still want to with less total effort. And I burned less energy than walking up that same slope. Another mountain logging road was much longer but not as steep. Would have taken me an hour to get to the saddle i hunt. I made that in 20 min barely breaking a sweat. So depends on terrain.

But I stand by my logic that the naysayers are about numbers: keeping less capable hunters from reaching where they go. So I do at least see their reasoning. But like you, I realize that an ebike is not magic. You still have to work for every inch. I tried to go down a flat logging road that had years of deadfalls across it. I gave up after going about a mile. It was much easier to walk than try to get an ebike down it

• Sitka Gear