Bowfinatic 12-Sep-21
hunterken 12-Sep-21
DEMO-Bowhunter 17-Sep-21
Bou'bound 22-Sep-21
Bou'bound 30-Sep-21
DEMO-Bowhunter 01-Oct-21
No Mercy 01-Oct-21
15-Aug-21
We have lots of info on the border crossing, but since most guys do it by driving that is what the input is mostly centered on. How about the air travel process, particularly the return testing in 72 hours required to get back to the states. That is for air travel only.

I heard there may be testing in the airport (at least Calgary) that will give you a 30 minute turnaround on a test taken there for $125.

Has anyone gone through and returned by air yet (assuming not many a week in)

Let's use this thread to focus on the air travel logistics for simplicity and shared learnings on best practices.

15-Aug-21
Will be interested to hear as well, need to finalize plans for a postponed moose hunt…

15-Aug-21
Following, I have a flight Mid Sept. into Toronto w a 2.5 hr layover & I will need to clear customs possibly w a firearm. Hoping that is enough time to connect to outgoing flight to Vancouver ?

15-Aug-21

Mike Ukrainetz's embedded Photo
Mike Ukrainetz's embedded Photo

Mike Ukrainetz's Link
Here’s the Canada government website link and a way to avoid the arrival test, if you’ve recently had Covid, which is maybe the biggest curve ball they can throw at a traveller. It can be a test at the airport or a kit you take with you and need to submit within 24 hrs of crossing the border. You’ll need the actual street address of where you are staying at and it says someone will come pick it up? That should be interesting for some camps?!

15-Aug-21
Mike it’s the getting home test that I am curious about That is a usa requirement

15-Aug-21
Our outfitter association said you can get the test at a local drug store

15-Aug-21
I have a mid November whitetail hunt in Alberta, we generally fly back into the states the day after we leave the bush. Looks like I may have to test at the airport and book a couple of additional nights at the hotel, waiting on test results. Major PITA!!! That's the only solution I can come up with.

16-Aug-21
I heard from my outfitter, Kevin, there is testing in the airport (at least Calgary) that will give you a 30 minute turnaround on a test taken there for $125. It seems you can get back into the US with a clean rapid test, but need the full deal within 3 days of entering Canada. I guess that is the only way a test can be turned around in 30 minutes.

16-Aug-21
Bou, I didn't realize that the rapid test was sufficient for re-entry into the US, definitely makes it a much easier process. Testing is also available at the airport in Edmonton, so we should be good to go!

16-Aug-21
From what I've read, an antigen test is fine to return back to the USA with. I travel with Delta and they are recommending using the Ellume self test. You have to buy it for $50 and take it with you. Then before you travel home, do an online test and get the results right away. That is enough to get back in the states. It seems pretty simple!

17-Aug-21
And what if your 50.00 kit fails you? then what happens?

17-Aug-21
Air Canada is only allowing PCR to fly. they won't accept rapid antigen test, even though USA will. There are several clinics in BC. Not sure about other provinces. Amani Travel health. It's $189 cash. Getting mine in Ft St John.

17-Aug-21

Kevin Speicher 's embedded Photo
Kevin Speicher 's embedded Photo
Steff, where are you seeing that information? On air Canada's website, it has a list of airports who are doing rapid testing for flights into the US. Asking because I am booked with Air Canada.

17-Aug-21
Casper, they actually give you two tests to take with you for $50. You have to administer it while on a video chat and they confirm the results.

I'm not worried one bit about getting back to the US from Canada.

I took my whole family to AK for vacation last summer when Covid tests were mandatory there and had no troubles navigating the system.

17-Aug-21

18-Aug-21
No problems reported with our guests, flying in and out no problem.

11-Sep-21
Just seeing if anybody has more information or experience particularly around getting the right test within 72 hours of leaving for Canada and getting the information back that seems to be a wildcard even though places will say the average is one or two days

11-Sep-21
I flew back 2 weeks ago Contacted NUMI who met us in the airport at 8pm Did a rapid antigen test took 10 min and was simple

11-Sep-21
Grant…I took two PCR tests on Thursday. One at an event center for “travel”, the second was the Vault test that you over night. Supposed to leave tomorrow morning. No results yet. Planning on driving across, but not crazy about leaving home without a test result and HOPE I get it before I get to the border. This whole thing is stupid…

11-Sep-21
Just returned. Denver to Montreal and back. $150 each for test going and $150 Canadian on return. It was a challenge to find a test site on return since we thought we didn't need test to return then got notice fm Air Canada about the retirement. Had to drive 2 hours for a test. 2.5 hour to Billings when we left.

Fly Thur/Fri so you can find test sites open within the 3 day window. You will find yourself wearing a mask for many hours. Required from the time you enter the terminal till you leave at the other end.

If you aren't fully vaccinated you may get to take another test when you land in Canada. That was happening when we left. Pulled a bunch of people out of line for it.

11-Sep-21
Yeah the whole thing is absolutely crazy and people are talking about planning going in a day early but I don’t see how that matters because if you don’t have your information back in 72 hours that test is not gonna help you if you try to fly out the next day on day four versus three

11-Sep-21
Be careful with that Ellume antigen test. It’s known for a high % of false positives. Read the reviews on CVS.com. Happened to my wife and ruined our weekend plans as she rushed off to get a PCR test and we had to wait a day and a half for negative results.

12-Sep-21
Yeah the whole thing is absolutely crazy and people are talking about planning going in a day early but I don’t see how that matters because if you don’t have your information back in 72 hours that test is not gonna help you if you plan if you try to fly out the next day on day four versus three

12-Sep-21
Just seeing if anybody has more information or experience particularly around getting the right test within 72 hours of leaving for Canada and getting the information back that seems to be a wildcard even though places will say the average is one or two days

12-Sep-21
By me CVS/Walgreens/Rite Aid all offer 24hr pcr tests

I received mine back same day ( about 10hrs) after taking test

12-Sep-21
Canada has specific requirements as to what the test results have to show in the way of info. Do the CVS etc labs give all the required info? We’re driving to Canada and only have 24-36 hours to get the test results.

17-Sep-21
I traveled to Canada by air first of September and had an easy time getting across. I used the local Walgreen's to get my NAAT test and had results within an hour and half from my test. Loaded test results, my vac card and an address for quarantine in the Canadian App and the process was really easy crossing at customs in Canada. They glanced at the info and I was on my way.

I returned to the US this week and used the Ellume test that SDHNTR referred to and luckily I had a negative test and traveled with those results no problem.

The return test was a bit of a joke though. I had three different flights to get back to the US and the only person that asked for my Covid test results was the original ticket counter person when I checked in. I actually think the information I had did not meet the guidelines as it didn't have my birthdate on it, but she didn't really seem to care that much. I just figured that the US customs agent would look at the results when I was to clear, but they didn't ask me anything other than items to declare. Now I do have Global Entry and maybe that had something to do with the customs agent not looking, but I was thru US customs in 30 seconds.

I'm actually traveling back to Canada next week for hunt #2 and I don't expect to change anything with my Walgreen's test, but I did find a testing facility in my departing Canadian City that seems to have plenty of openings to do an antigen test in case the Ellume gives me a false positive when I return.

Plan accordingly and you'll have no problems crossing.

22-Sep-21

30-Sep-21

01-Oct-21
Second trip was same results as first. Quick and easy. I used the Ellume test the second time as well. Test results were once again only asked for at the initial check in on my return.

01-Oct-21
Curt Wells posted all of this info on his Facebook page a few weeks ago

• Sitka Gear